Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #46  

Thought I just might pop in here as I have sarcoidosis which is a complicated disease. Mine started in the lungs 30 yr. ago but I've had trouble with high blood calcium and thus kidney damage. Very complicated. I've lost about 40 lb in the last couple of years with about 30 to go but I'm really thankful for what I have lost and not complaining.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #47  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Carol- Nice to have you here! We have an assortment of conditions here, but are all working for the same thing-getting healthier and losing extra weight. Come and visit as often as you like!

Just popping in here to say Merry Christmas to Everyone!! Hoping you all have a wonderful holiday and that any extra calories will be worked off as easily as they are taken in God bless you all!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #48  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

CAROL ~ so nice of you to drop by our thread. All of us here have some special health challenges that we are dealing with but I think we are doing very well in spite of them. We try to find ways around, over, under, or through them ...

Just poppin' by to wish you all a ...
MERRYCHRISTMAS!

We had a busy day; made my pumpkin pie and custard; got my veggies ready; wrapped presents; had a shower; did laundry ... phew ... now I'm pooped. Just relaxin' now ... and restin' ... time for tea ... and ...

May GOD BLESS YOU RICHLY with His PEACE & JOY as we celebrate the coming of our LORD & SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #49  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

CAROL to the thread glad to have you on board.

ROSEBUD, RONNI, VAL, SHEENA & JJ123 I hope you all have had a wonderful day in you part of the world.

YEAH I have had my first white Christmas in about 30 years

Take care one and all catch you all soon

purpleorc
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #50  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a busy Christmas Day with our guests. We had a real pleasant surprise; one of our guests is a self-taught musician and as soon as he walked in our livingroom said, "Oh, you have an organ!" He promptly sat down and serenaded us all through the evening with Christmas songs!!! What an awesome blessing --
to hear someone who could play so well, show me how my organ can sound with an accomplished player on hand ... I have to say that was our favorite gift of all!

Today, we just rested as I was exhausted and my poor feeties sure needed a rest. We did enjoy some treats of chocolate and nuts, etc but a few days on plan will fix that up, I'm sure. Everyone seemed to have a wonderful time and DH keeps saying this was the best Christmas that he can remember ...

Hope you all have a blessed Christmas week and a restful Sunday tomorrow too! ROSEBUD
Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #51  
Rosebud

HEY PURPLE ~ that is awesome ... I'm so glad that you finally had a "WHITE CHRISTMAS" in your adult years; one that you'll remember always! Now, you see why I say that Christmas wouldn't be the same without *****

Tonight, it is mild and we have giant snowflakes. I was just rocking in my chair looking at our neighbour's house across the road. He has a big tree in his front window that has lights that change colors all at once ... from red to green to white to blue to yellow, and so on ... neato!!! It's amazing what they can do now with fiber optics and the lights.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #52  
Nana to Alyssa

Height: 5'11

I think I will jump in here. Didn't know it existed. Have fibromylagia although I must say it IS better since I have lost some weight (93 pounds - 80-90 more to go) and exercise 3-4 days a week. I try to make it 5 days a week but the winter is hard, even in Arizona. I have so not been good during the holidays. I am a T2 diabetic and have been off medication for 6 months now. Go back in January and I'm afraid she is going to smack me silly LOL. Thing is - I KNOW better and did it anyway. Why do we sabotage ourselves?
KarenAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #53  
Rosebud

KAREN from Arizona ~ we are very glad that you decided to drop by our thread; the more the merrier, I always say ... I think that we all feel better with some weight off; I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't feel better with even 30 lbs off. I know that I feel much better and look forward to feelin' even better down the road.

Many of us are watching what we eat for health reasons but I believe there is no reason why we can't have a treat now & then. I know that I wouldn't last at eating in a more healthy way if I didn't enjoy what I was eating. I am aiming for 85 to 90% sticking to my plan which is balanced eating; portion based, plus also calorie tracking which I find helps me stick to plan a lot better.

Please do come back and post as often as you like; we really enjoy hearing from new folks now and then ... Rosebud
Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #54  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We just spent another quiet day at home resting today. We are having very mild temps here right now; had a little ***** fall overnight, but not much. Don't know how long this will last though ...

Spent a good part of the afternoon helping DH figure out what was wrong with his dvd player (as I had given him some new movies for Christmas). Turns out there was nothing wrong with it; he just keeps forgetting to turn the TV to GAMES mode when using the dvd player. He keeps getting confused with the VCR which uses channel 3; so I taped a note to the top of our both dvd players as a reminder for the future as we go thru this every 6 months or so. It's working well now and he is having fun watching his movies, as we speak (write) ...

We had leftovers for dinner tonight (prepared like a cottage pie, and then heated in the oven); boy, I am sure my stomach has shrunk becuz I can't eat too much or my tummy feels very yucky. We got a new kind of coffee and it has been ruff on my stomach as it is way too strong (I won't mention the brand); so I will be drinking Postum for a while until my tummy feels better. I also noticed that my stomach doesn't like spicy or fatty foods anymore; even just one small piece of shortbread can upset it now; go figure!

We hope you all are having a great holiday week coming up; take good care of you and yours ... ROSEBUD
Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #55  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We awoke to big ~~winds~~ and a major ***** storm here today, so we just stayed indoors and kept warm.

Somehow, I managed to catch a cold or flu bug over the last few days: had a dry, hacking cough which is getting better tonight: must be from all the prayers sent up for me (so thanks). Even poor NIKO was sick today; but seems to be better now.

Tonight, the temps have dropped down to -20 C and the winds are fierce so it would feel about 10 degrees colder than that. Hope it warms up this week, becuz I have some bills to pay! DH just braved those winds to go out and replace 3 burnt bulbs; what a jolly good fellow!

Hope you all are having a peaceful and restful holiday week; and do take good care of yourselves ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #56  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had another very cold day again today; woke up and it was still -20C with winds, but the did peak out for a little while to cheer us up. A little snow fell, but I think it was mostly stuff blowing around. Too cold to venture out so just
stayed home and did stuff around here.

Back on track today; stayed OP; and very happy about that! We put the leftover turkey and trimmings in the freezer for future meals; gave the birdies leftover nuts and tidbits; tossed some leftover junkies (shhhhh); and the rest that DH wants for New Years has been put out in cold storage ...

It's supposed to be much milder tomorrow; sure hope they are right as we have to go uptown to pay a few bills sometime soon, and my body doesn't like these cold temps at all! Hope you are all having a good week and back on track as well; take good care ... ROSEBUD
Old 12-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #57  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, Gals! It's sure been a busy week already! Went to MN yesterday and got our "new" car, as well as having DS2's car aligned and new tires put on (it's been an expensive week too, you can see!). Then, today, had to go to town for plexiglas for DH's solar heater he's making for the garage, as well as groceries, since DS1 (my step-son) and his wife and 4 kids are coming for a couple days tomorrow. Going to be busy with the little ones and must do some toddler-proofing before they get here.

Karen-Welcome! Glad to have you here! I know what you're saying about sabotaging ourselves. I can't explain it, but I do have to watch myself carefully. I'm sure mine's related to my totally disfunctional upbringing, but God's helped me deal with that and I know He's helping me work on my self-sabotage also. I find that visiting with people here at 3fc helps a lot-more than I ever thought it would, so I really recommend coming here frequently

Rosebud-sorry you got one of the Christmas "bugs" that have been going around. Hope you continue to feel better. We've been having the cold, windy, snowy weather too. The roads are still really bad and on our trip to MN yesterday, we saw a lot of cars, semis, and even a car towing a camper in ditches. It looked like the camper had rolled over the car when they slid off the road, but hadn't heard anything on the news about deaths, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked. Well, take care and keep getting better!

Purple-you must still be visiting your parents, so hope you're having a really good time! I'm glad you got some snow, too!

Well, gotta go tuck in a couple kids-yep, they still like mom to come put them to bed. It'll be hard next year when there's only one here to tuck in-I'll have to do it by Facebook or something-LOL! Talk to you all later!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #58  
MSer living healthy

Hello all

It has been a busy few days with my parents here then yesterday I kind of flopped the day they went home. I think my body did what I had to do and then it just collapsed in a heap ( not literally). After a good nights sleep I am right as rain. The snow hung around for many days although we only had about an inch. Last night we had some sleet which I wondered would turn to snow but it did not materialise. It has turned to drizzly rain and looks as though it has been like that most of the night and the rest of the day.

I have enjoyed having my parents over and had plenty of help to cater. Unfortunately my washing machine is still what you would call poorly it has to have an electrical board fitted but he did not have any in stock. He did change the water pump hoping that would resolve the issue. No so luck but it did get rid of the smelly water that was sitting in the drum. Oh boy did it smell a week of stagnating in the washing machine did it no favours. Hopefully they will be coming tomorrow to fix it and so I should be up and running. Yeah

I watched a programme on the Isle of Skye which is an island on the West coast of Scotland. It is the only island I have visited in Scotland although I have been to Scotland numerous times. This was about a gentleman walking 70 odd miles of the island telling you interesting facts and meeting people along the way. I would love to go to some of the other island in Scotland but they are remote not to mention many hours from our home. Not that there is necessarily a great deal to do their but walk or bird watch etc. I know many of the islands are a haven for bird watchers and some of the islands are not allowed to be used for several months of the years. This is so that wild life such as seals can birth in peace and undisturbed by humans.

KARENAZ to the thread glad to have you on board.

Like yourself I was glad when I found that there was a board that dealt with losing weight yet having health challenges to deal with as well. I knew they knew how difficult exercising can be sometimes and we have to modify the sorts of exercise we many do.

on the weight loss that is great and I am sure even if you do not necessarily feel so much better it is so often much better for our health. Many may come off diabetic medication or have it seriously reduced. Blood pressure comes within normal limits and cholesterol follows the same. I did not feel hugely better as I was still in pain etc. What it did for me was allow me to walk my walking at the time of my healthy eating began was very restricted I was not sure whether to blame the MS or my weight I wanted to find out which was the culprit so to speak. Low and behold my walking improved vastly for several years until this year my MS progressed. Keep up the good work No doubt you will find other health issues may improve with the weight loss as you continue down the journey.

Like Rosebud said treats are allowed now and again as part of normal living. Most of us strive for 85% to 90% healthy eating realising that for us 100% is just not possible. The important thing after your treat is to hop straight back on the wagon but not use it as an excuse to fall back to our old eating habits.

RONNI Like you I have been busy over the Christmas period then fatigue hit me with vengeance yesterday. Not sure what MN is as it is an abbreviation that I am not familiar with. Cars are never cheap to run what with the petrol or diesel not to mention parts it all rapidly mounts up. Then there is insurance and here in the UK we have to pay road tax which you display your tax disc in your window screen of your car. Then there is your yearly inspection of your car to prove it is roadworthy if it fails then to put it back on the road you must correct those faults. Ouch is all I can say that is all you need the expense at this time of the year.

I see you are going to continue being busy with your DS1 coming over with his family and like your say you will have to try and make your home toddler proof.

I did not go to my parents but the other way round for Christmas this is firstly due to the fact I have a bungalow and my parents live in a house and it is hard for me to master the stairs now.

ROSEBUD Thanks for keeping the thread going whilst we where all busy with one thing or another. Even more so as you where busy yourself with guests and the Christmas bug. (DH and his sister seem to have one at the minute nothing specific but both don't feel so well )

What a gift for Christmas day a guess that could play the organ and give you the Yule tide songs that we all know and love. I find it magical when someone can play a musical instrument like piano or organ. My cousin is an apt organ play but his father was an accomplished accordion (squeeze box) player. My nephew from my DH can play the guitar and is studying music at college. Me hopeless in that area but never the less admire others who have the skill.

Like you my tummy has shrunk since starting my healthy eating and over eating even by a little I feel well like you put it yucky. The one I can never figure the foods we no doubt adored the fatty or spicy are no longer tolerated Not that this is a bad thing that our body rejects these sorts of foods helps us keep on the right path. Sorry to hear that the coffee has upset your tummy. What is postum ? is this an anti acid preparation? I hope the postum proves successful and gives you the relief.

from your flu bug and hope it still remains on the mend. I hope NIKO gets well soon also. Our Rizzie was poorly over the Christmas period one day he literally spend the whole day asleep and barely ate a thing. Has the days went on he perked up more and more till he was back to his lively and boisterous self. Not sure what the bug was but he did not appear to have a temperature just generally "off it" Yes a good medical term that one

Now time to go and make some sandwiches and just before I do I will run the hoover over the carpet. Our resident mess maker Rizzie is the major culprit mind you sometimes I think that should be changed to DH Although DH is more untidy than anything else and the best thing is he does not see that. I reckon he should borrow my glasses and then he would see what I do Never the less I love him dearly and we all have our faults none of us are perfect. Bye bye fellow chicks till next time

purpleorc
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #59  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we did get much milder temps today, so we did go out to pay a couple of bills; and we also picked up a few basic groceries while we at it. It is so nice to pay bills off after Christmas -- gives you a peaceful feeling.

The even peaked out for us this afternoon; that was a nice surprise (as they were calling for clouds). So far, am OP and eating well today; got lots of walking in which I enjoyed more with the milder temps (did my store-walking today by going around the outside perimeter of a large grocery).

Made Creole Patties with coleslaw, green beans, and new potatoes w/skins for dinner tonight; this is one of our favorites that we haven't had in awhile, so I was craving it. It is healthy and we love it; should really make it more often though.

HI RONNIE ~ hope you have a wonderul visit with DS1 and his family; it will be busy at your house for New Years but you had a quiet Christmas so that's not too bad. I think we will be having a quiet New Years as we had a busy, tiring week already. I am feeling much better though. Sounds like you really dote on your two sons; are they a little spoiled by mom? That will probably make it much harder to see DS2 go away next fall; but you can still call and chat to him on the net. Do you have a web cam? They aren't too expensive and then you could see him as you talk to him on messenger too; maybe get that all ready ahead of time. I see you decided on the "newer" car and repairing the other one; not nice to have to fork out that kind of money now, but Merry Christmas to DH; I'm sure he works very hard and deserves it ...

HI PURPLE ~ yes, sounds like you have had a really busy week with your parents there; hope you do get your washing machine fixed up soon. I suppose repairing it is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new one, as they can be expensive. Did you go to your treatment today, or was it cancelled for the holidays? I hope you were very blessed this Christmas ... Are you doing anything special for New Years or staying home and resting?

We had a great day and I did get some things that I wanted; I really had to rack my brains for my little list. One thing I asked for was a breadmaker and DH was fortunate and got one on a good sale the day he went; a pleasant surprise. It's hard for me to think of things that don't have to do with the house but they are nice too. I got a nice new hat; one that is fake fur but like DH's in that it is very warm and will cover my whole head on those really cold days from January to March. It did get some Christmas CD's, 3 DVDS (movies), and perfume, and stuff like that too.

Hope you have a good week coming up into the New Years; and do take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD
Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #60  
MSer living healthy

Hello Ladies

Took a jaunt on the scooter this afternoon did about a couple of miles this was a cunning plan to make our Rizzie a little more tired than normal since the year 2000 it has become the custom here now to set off lots of fireworks at the stroke of midnight hailing in the New Year. The fireworks display is worse in many respects than fireworks night on the 5th of November as every body starts at the same time. The only thing with November celebrations it is so much more prolonged. Poor thing is absolutely petrified it is bad enough getting him out in the dark with out adding fireworks to the equation. He is afraid of the dark as one evening when walking many years ago we got caught in an horrendous storm. There was this almighty clap of thunder that even made us quicken up our speed as fast I could go. After that experience he hates the dark not that you can blame him poor thing.

Unfortunately I have got my dates mixed up regarding my fixing of the washing machine (bah humbugs ) and it is another week I will have to wait so will hand wash again later in the week. Fortunately my parents took the big items and washed them for me things like bedding. Sure does make you appreciate the washing machine this enforced washing by hand.

At the minute I am in the process of defrosting our fridge freezer which is not self defrosting unfortunately. The issue was forced tonight when I was taking things out that I will require on the cooking front tomorrow when trying to close the door no way was it going to So food items were decanted into freezer in other room and rest into freezer bag. So I am running back and forward every ten minutes with checking the progress and putting new jugs or containers of hot water to speed the process up I knew this job needed doing but I was naughty and kept putting it off. So now it has come and bit me for not being more studious in my work. The only blessing is my second and much larger freezer is self defrosting. The thoughts of trying to defrost the 5ft freezer would be a nightmare

Yeah defrosted and food put back now. Also washed the towel that was used for mopping up the excess water. Yesterday I watched a film I have seen before but never the less I still love it. This is Miss Potter you may of watched it some of you before it is about the life of Beatrix Potter. Like I said I have seen it before but there are parts that I didn't recall. Then today I watched Chicken Run animated comedy which was about a group of chickens trying to escape the chicken coop. Again I have watched it before but many of the lines made to laugh never the less.

ROSEBUD We are lucky as far as the washing machine goes it is under an insurance so the repairs are done under this and no payment is required by us. This is a blessing as washing machines are an expensive item and this model is a washer dryer as I do not have space for both.

My treatment this week has been cancelled and it starts next week so I will be definitely be ready for my top up of oxygen. This New Year is a quiet one for us especially with the fireworks it is not fair to leave Rizzie with all those being let off. So we have it quietly together and it is nice to rest after the busy period of Christmas.

Today for our lunch we had a dish that is made with a tin of low fat chicken and low fat mushroom soup the condensed variety. Although you add as very little water as possible so as to give a thick sauce. Now today I fried off some garlic, onion and red peppers in one cal oil. Then added this to the fried garlic, onion and red pepper. Today I added the last of the turkey breast from Christmas but I have put in sliced ham chopped roughly into bit sized pieces. In another pan I cooked wholemeal pasta and carrots (fresh and chopped small for faster cooking). When the pasta and carrots were cooked I drained that then added the sauce with the garlic, soup , onions and peppers. Gently stir the mixture together until the pasta is coated and the meat (if used any) is heated through. I think this dish could be adapted to be vegetarian by using mushroom soup and using a selection of vegetables, like peas, sweetcorn, carrots and mange tout. This is a new recipe that a friend told me about and it is a favourite of mine now and so easy to make. I have made double portion so that I have enough for tomorrow's lunch

HAPPY NEW YEAR for 2010 and hope that we are all blessed with happiness and health for this forth coming year

Bye and take care

purpleorc