Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 234/232/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraitLover View Post
Be careful w/ the Leslie Sansone tapes if you have arthritis in your knees. My PT said not to do any marching/jogging in place exercises, so no more WATP for me.
I have undiagnosed issues with my knees, but I'd get the family dog that arthritis is the culprit. I've injured both knees in the past, so it's a fair guess there.When I tried the WATP videos a few years ago, I noticed my knees creaking and popping when I tried to do the semi-sqauts. Now they hurt, creak, and pop. I'm sure the excess weight makes whatever is going on much worse. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go talk to my doctor.
abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
I have undiagnosed issues with my knees, but I'd get the family dog that arthritis is the culprit. I've injured both knees in the past, so it's a fair guess there.When I tried the WATP videos a few years ago, I noticed my knees creaking and popping when I tried to do the semi-sqauts. Now they hurt, creak, and pop. I'm sure the excess weight makes whatever is going on much worse. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go talk to my doctor.
In addition to arthritis, I have patellar chondromalacia. That's where the kneecap is not sitting in the groove completely and scrapes up against the bones, which also causes the grinding/popping/creaking sounds. You might have that going on, too. It's from the muscles surrounging/supporting the knee not being strong enough and eventally allows the kneecap to get out of alignment. Basic treatment is building up the mucslces, losing weight (every 10 lbs lost is like 30-40 off your knees) and avoiding certain movements. I went to PT for mine. I haven't been doing my exercises lately, and one knee is getting worse, so I am trying to get back in the groove with them.
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Does anyone do the aqua therapy classes thet the YMCA offers?

I have one close by but the hours are just not right for me. The one that I could make is at night at 7pm and that's aqua jogging....... the most advanced.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feelbetter View Post
Does anyone do the aqua therapy classes thet the YMCA offers?

I have one close by but the hours are just not right for me. The one that I could make is at night at 7pm and that's aqua jogging....... the most advanced.
Not the Y, but I do at my gym (Wellness Center run by the hospital). I do the Water Aerobics class. They also have a Range of Motion class, but that's more for older people and people recovering from injuries. Arthristis qualifies, but you don't really burn many calories doing that class as it's pretty slow.

Jogging in the pool is way less stressful on your knees than on land. You cna always give it a try and see how you hold up!
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #20  

anyone have any suggestions of an elipitical (sp?) machine that you use for exercise with your arthritis?
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #21  

i personally was never able to use an elliptical machine
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #22  

Default Hey There

Hello.. I don't know how I got on this site ,but it looks good.. I must have visited it at one time.. I have tried many of the machines at the spa and been to water therapy. After losing lots of money I found that the only exercise I am able to do and stick to is walking. I have a treadmill for the bad weather day.With the help of weight Watchers and walking I have lost 74 lbs and am now in the process of losing 9 I picked up after being sick and slacking off. I used to walk 3 miles every day, now I am doing 5 miles in two sessions every day . I rarely miss a day.. I am 76 years young and soon to be 77. If you find the machines are too hard maybe just walking will help..
My daughter has used the elliptical and really liked it.. I guess starting slow and working up would help..
Have a great day.. Joanne

Last edited by Joanne D; 12-06-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #23  

I was at work today and talking about arthritis and then it came up about the aqua aerobics again and this one guy said his mother started when she was in her 60's and had back problems and (like me) she didn't want to get her hair wet.

HE SAID SHE JUST STARTED WALKING IN THE POOL. ! ! !

I said OMG I didn't even think of that. He said she would start walking back and forth and in a few weeks or months (don't remember ) she starting feeling better and later she took the swim class and learned to swim and now she does laps and she's in her 80's and feeling great. !

I would have never thought about just walking in the pool

I do have a nice treadmill but like I said when my feet hurt I just can't do it.
I may treat myself next year and just join the gym . I've always like working out.

It snowed here today and my back is feeling it. Very strange, I didn't even shovel snow. Earlier this year I hurt my back so bad that I could hardly walk. Had to get a facet block shot (6 shots at one time ) they put you to sleep to do it. I asked them what was the cause of all this pain and they said arthritis in my lower back. Which I didn't even know I had. It got aggraviated when I shoveled the snow. I couldn't, and still, barely believe it. I was in severe pain for about 2 months before I got this shot.

If anyone goes to the Y to join ask them if they have special rates. My Y has a special rate for state employees.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #24  

Default Hey There

If you have Humana insurance they have a program called Silver Slippers. Sometimes with a Dr. scrip you can get water therapy and your insurance will pay for it. I went for awhile to walk in the water and take the water exercises. I couldn't keep it up as the water was too cold. My arthritis hurt too much.. You need a heated pool . At least I did. I now walk outside. Here in Florida You can do that almost year round.
Don't give up. Joanne
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #25  
*Determined*

S/C/G: 304/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I can totally relate to everyone's difficulties with exercise and having arthritis. I was diagnosed with moderate/severe osteoarthritis in both knees and they have been scoped in the last 6 months to year. My surgeon is hoping that we can put off knee replacements for at least 10 years...preferrably 20 years. I'm 32 years old. There are good days and bad days. Some days I can't get out of bed without having to hold onto the walls for support. I think having arthritis is terrible no matter what age, but it can be a miserable feeling to feel 32 on the inside and then 92 physically. I am trying to take advantage of my "good" days and find some exercises, like the stationary bike to stay limber and I've also joined Weight Watchers. The surgeon said that losing weight won't reverse or even slow the progression of the disease, but it may help my joint comfort.

I hope that you all are finding something that works for you and that there are more good days for you as well.

Oh by the way, I've been taking a supplement for arthritis and I do think it's helped with some of the pain.
andi654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #26  

so far the shots are helping alot. I also told the Dr I wanted a handicap parking permit and he gave it to me. Mind you it;s not that easy to get. I told him I've had 3 temporary ones and I'm tired of it. I told him I can't sit on the toilet, get out of my car, or off the sofa without holding on to something.

I work partime in sales and when I leave work I don't want to stop at any stores or do errands becasue of my feet and knees. Right now my feet are worse then my knees.

I did this exercise tape called Disco Abs.....it was on the exercise channel thru TIME WARNER CABLE.It's really fun it 's more like dancing and not a lot of squating which I can't do.

My kids came home from college for xmas.and it's been a downhill battle since then. Chips, candy, ice cream. I'm a mess and I was doing so good before
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #27  

Default Hey There

I can relate to holiday snacks and food,food,food everywhere..I have told the hubby when the holidays are gone so is the bad eating..I won't tell him he is on the WW eating plan.. He just spent 4 days in the hospital with a bad case of colitis. We thought they were going to operate. I just told him today that that would have meant a colostomy bag.
My arthritis is bad right now too. I woke up this morning and could hardly walk. My left knee is really bad. I think all the walking from the parking lot to hospital and back didn't help.Plus I have to walk our pug 4 times a day. Two walks pretty long. She depends on that and won't take care of business till she decides or gets her time out.My shoulders have been hurting for a couple months.
Losing weight helped me some. My back is better but the knees and feet still hurt. But, If we don't keep moving it will be worse. With osteoarthritis you need to keep up the movement.I already have one knee replacement.
Hope you all have a Wonderful Christmas..Joanne
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #28  

Joanne D HOw much weight have you lost and how did you do it.
Walking your dog seems like it's good for you also. I have a dog but I just let him go in the back yard.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #29  

Default Hey There

I lost 74 lbs but have put 10 back on that I am trying to lose.. I know this is not the best time of the year to lose. Weight Watchers was a big help to me.. Walking was another. At first I was lucky to walk 1/2 mile. now I can do 3 miles easy. not this week though. my knee is really bad. I think it will get better with rest. All I plan to do today is vacuum, dust and go to grocery store. my daughter will be here this afternoon. Oh yes take the dog out for short walks she won't go in the yard. Very picky. She is a pug. I can't go far till my knee heals.
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY
Joanne
Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #30  
*Determined*

S/C/G: 304/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

My left knee is especially bad this week, too. I've noticed alot of you have said you are more uncomfortable now also. I wonder if it's weather related? Here in KS we had alot of snow, high winds, and it's really cold. I wonder if people in warm, dry climates have as much trouble with arthritis?? I've been taking alot of ibuprofen and using heated rice bags the past few days.

-I, too, will glad when all the holiday goodies are gone. I have weigh-in on Monday, so that's keeping me "good" right now, the fear of the scale...LOL!

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!!

Last edited by andi654; 12-25-2009 at 08:21 PM.
andi654 is offline   Reply With Quote