SI Joint Problems

• I've been having a lot of hip pain lately so I went to a chiropractor. He said my SI joint was extremely locked up and after a full hour he still couldn't get it loose so I need to go back on Tuesday to try again. Meanwhile he said yoga was fine but NO running, lifting or any impact activity. Has anyone ever had problems like this before? I love yoga but I feel a little stuck as to how else to get some exercise in, he doesn't want me swimming either. I've been plateaued for about 2 months now, since this started actually and I don't want to risk gaining! Thanks so much
  • What's SI joint?
  • The sacroiliac joint is a firm, small joint that lies at the junction of the spine and the pelvis. The sacroiliac joint does not move much, but it is critical to transferring the load of your upper body to your lower body.
  • Hi, vmi. As a person who has suffered from a degenerative spinal disease since the age of nineteen, my suggestion is to get a second opinion and see a physical therapist or doctors who specialize in "SI joint dysfunction." Your primary care can write a referral. After the initial evaluation, they can release that SI joint. Before my first physical therapy session, it was necessary for me to have an injection to relieve the inflammation in the joint before I started because I had went so long without the proper treatment.

When you begin, they may give you exercises called "self-correction" or "self-mobilization" exercises where you can release and realign the SI joint yourself. I have a binder of exercises. Sometimes it is painful and frustrating until it does release. God knows that I love to feel that little "click-click" of the SI joint releasing and realigning itself. (Some of them are online- but proceed only after seeing a physician). Then they design a program of exercises designed especially for you that will allow you to both correct it yourself and keep the pelvic muscles tight to avoid slipping. Usually with walking, pilates, and if you can handle it, weight bearing exercises.

I felt compelled to tell you that there are other options available out there because when my left SI joint started to slide around ten years ago, I also started to see a chiropractor due to the fact that I was so afraid of losing my job. After about ten months of bi-weekly visits, not only was I still in excruciating pain, but I was also out a few hundred dollars a month for insurance co-pays. The physical therapist later told me that it is because it's a chiropractor's job to keep joints loose and the SI joint needs to stay tight. I was so mad! I was also told that I could choose to keep seeing him or go to the physical therapist, not both. Nine years later, I am so glad I chose the latter.
    I am very fortunate because I live in an area where there is a research university that has a "Spine Clinic." I still lost my job and I continue to have chronic SI dysfunction. However, due to their knowledge, I have also completed a college degree and have traveled by myself to Europe, twice! After years of being told there was no hope for my SI and disc condition, the physical therapists at the University of Michigan Spine Program gave me the tools I needed to increase my standard of living immensely! Best of luck on getting the right treatment and contact me if you have any questions. Cindy
  • Can you ride a bike, preferably a recumbent bike? What about an elliptical that has no impact?