Digestive a big problem

• I have had this problem for a while now, I try so much and nothing really works i want to know if anyone has encountered the same thing and what did you do for it?
    Here is the problem, i have very irregular bowel movements, sometimes it doesnt happen for 4 or more days and when it does it is a joke! Being that i am vegan i get a lot of fiber and i take fiber supplements as well, i am dieting i eat lots of veggies. laxatives dont work i mean yea the create a bowel movement but it isnt anything, and sometimes it really isnt anything. It is super hard to work your butt off dieting and exercising and then get on the scale and you gained 4 pounds and it is all fecal matter! it is so very very hard....any one know what i can do?????
  • I assume you're getting lots of water ... sometimes dietary fat is a factor for some people, in addition to fiber. Also, coffee (or even hot water) can stimulate a BM.
  • o yes i try to drink a lot of water, i dont drink coffee sometimes i do if it has been so long since a BM but it only works every now and again.
  • I had the same problem for years. Nothing worked - not cleanses, not fiber drinks nor fiber pills. My doctor, a gastroenterologist, gave me a product called golytely as a prep before a surgery and that cleansed my system and made me regular.
    When I discussed it with him he recommended digestive enzymes as well as magnesium citrate (once every 4-6 months on the magnesium citrate).
    Have you tried digestive enzymes? I am a vegan and I started to use them when I was having a similar a few weeks ago. It took about a month but I am now regular. I go several times a day.
  • Get a colonic. I'm serious. This guy at my gym lost 8 pounds getting one and has had no plumbing problems since.

One of my friends also got one after being irregular for a long time. She lost 4 pounds and says everything "comes out so smooth" now. She takes 2 Fiber Choice tablets every day, too, to make sure everything is "moving" properly.

I, too, have gotten a colonic, though not because I was irregular -- I just thought it was a good thing to do. I figured, "I have 22 years of crap in my guts!" I only lost 1/4 lb -- MAYBE -- but it DID leave me feeling refreshed, lighter, and I could suck my stomach in to a REALLY gross extent. It is not uncomfortable, either; more than anything, it just feels like you have the runs for 45 minutes.

Borntobefine mentioned magnesium citrate; that is also an excellent idea.

Good luck and happy pooping!
  • thanks you ladies so much i will try the magnesium, hopefully i can go to a doctor soon! that will be great, but thanks for your help!!
  • I have this same problem! To a very serious extent where my stomach has extremely hard, rock-like masses in it and bloats out, about 10 inches from where it normally is (straight out). All the time I look like I'm 6 months pregnant.

I've had severe constipation for three years, but the sickness and bloating started in April and I've seen several doctors for it and had tests done. Still no word on what it is, which is SEVERELY frustrating. They finally put me on Amitiza, which has helped me have some bowel movements, even though not enough. I just went on it though so hopefully in time it might help the swelling and constipation?

I suspect I have a wheat allergy and might be celiac which is clogging me up, so I'm now off wheat. We'll see if it helps!!