Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #61  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello fellow chicks

Our British summer is back , today isn't even fit enough for ducks It has rained very heavily since I got up this morning. Of course today happened to be my grocery day shopping. So got a lovely dousing of rain when coming in and out of the store. The car park was more like a paddling pool as the amount of water on the ground as the drains unable to take the volume of rain.

Good news my mum has come through her operation and seems to be OK. Telephoned her today and not too much pain from the operation site though her shoulder is very sore. I would expect it is due to the position they may have sited the arm in during the operation. Mum has arthritis in some of her joints so this may have aggravated that by the movement during the operation. Many thanks for the prayers and well wishes much appreciated by me.

ROSEBUD Well I was really busy yesterday and as much as I tried to find a spare moment in my schedule it didn't happen so thanks for holding the fort.

Talking of dentists I have had a reprieve from my extraction today My dentist Angelikza ( or something like that spelling as the lady dentist is from Latvia so expect this is a name from this language) unfortunately she is unwell so has had to cancel my appointment. If I was in any pain one of the other dentist's would have carried out the extraction for her on her behalf. Seeing as I was not in any pain I felt I would leave the slots free for one of the other patients who was not so fortunate as myself. DH dentist was unwell the other day so I wonder if a bug is going around and it is doing it's rounds. DH or I up to that point had never had an appointment cancelled so it is not a regular occurrence. Unfortunately we all become sick once in a while and a dentist is no exception. A dentist in their line of work is in close proximity to people so are prone to picking up any bugs going round even through she wears a mask during the close consultation part of the examination.

Now for your dilemma I would more than likely follow the advice of your DH and go to the city to see a dentist. There is nothing worse than experiencing toothache then trying to get in to see a dentist. You can guarantee that the pain will start when dentist's do not work like on a Sunday. So prevention is better than cure. I am like yourself and not very keen at all going to the dentist. Though going regularly to one dentist whom you like a trust makes a whole lot of difference. I am no longer daunted by going to the dentist. Yes still not keen but at least my tummy is not tied in knots and I feel sick at just the though.

Pulled in a few other chores today I am in the middle of doing laundry. I have hoovered and dusted. So just about everything in order now. If on Friday when I go over to see mum and dad they are able to come back with us (no hospital, doctors, chiropodist, cardiologist, diabetic nurse or practise nurse to see) . I will be much happier if they are under my care. Firstly I can make their bed, do their laundry, they will have no home to keep clean. So this way they have nothing to do but help me if or when they are able to.

I have lost over 100lb+ and I could never drop to a low calorie option. For myself I have never gone below 1500 per day. In the beginning of my journey I was on something like 2100 - 2000 calories per day. I know this seems high but when your body has been living for goodness knows how long on 2x-3x or 4x that amount per day. A drop to around the 2000 calorie mark is a big drop. I still lost well at the beginning even at those calories. DH or I alway check on items what it a portion size then weight that amount. My eyes and by belly even now tell me it should be more than that. Though you do gradually adjust. Never having to go too long before it is something else is to be eaten. I try desperately to go no longer than 3 hours before a snack or meal. That way you are never hungry, if I am then maybe I would look at some protein based snack which would fill me for the least amount of calories possible. Egg white omelet is great with a selection of sautéed vegetables is filling but not too high on the calorie intake. (i find this ultra filling by the way.) If you cook this regular you could sauté and refrigerate when cold the vegetables you wish to use for that week. Chop the vegetables fine then fry in a little spray oil until just tender. When making the omelet just take a portion of these vegetables and toss them in the cooking omelet. Very nice and can be of different as the seasons come round.

Taking ideas from others success stories is a good idea. This is partly what I did. Also looked at different recipes here on 3fc knowing that they would be healthy. I used all the different forums recipes sections and have found a whole host of yummy recipes. With being a whizz in the kitchen Rosebud you maybe able to tweak recipes you see but do not have the exact ingredient. This is what I have done on a few occasions with great success. Like you I did not want to gain my weight back that I had fought so hard to lose. So I looked for something I could keep up for life. Yes I have the odd naughty treat here and there. Though 95% I would say now is healthy food that I prepare this way I feel I can live without feeling deprived. It is as you say all about balance. Finding that balance that you are happy to live with. In the beginning the treats were few now I am nearer my goal I do have a few more treats as I put them. I am now on the right balance for me and my DH.

Our darling Rizzie today is not quite such a darling shall we put it. He has shall we put it rather delicately a rotty botty In other words he has wind. His bottom today should have a licence to kill on it Normally we only ever get this problem with turkey. Though no turkey has passed his lips. So goodness knows why he has this delicate issue.

Well must go and rescue the washing out of the machine as the cycle has finished now. Then time for a little rest of my feet until it is time to start preparing tea which is a ham salad cob. Take care ladies till next time

purpleorc
Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #62  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ Well, we had a day of and again today on and off. We also did a wee bit of shopping today; not much, as we really didn't need much. Just picked up some fruit & veggies mostly, with some 12 grain melba toast for my snacks (you can have 4 of these for only 80 calories). I used to eat these all the time; but was out.

We also went to pick up some corn seed for our birdies, as we put the last we had out this AM for the four mourning doves that came by; and while we were there we also wanted to pick up some black earth that was on sale, and noticed that they had all their trees on sale for only $19.99 each. I have always wanted a regular apple tree and we already had our crab apple pollinator planted last month, so we picked one of those up too.

So we came home and had lunch (yummy leftovers from last night's dinner); and went out to the lot and planted it. It is called 'Hardy Prairie" and I will google that later to see the specs on it. Then we gathered some long hay that had been cut along the roadside by workers and put it around the trees as mulch. This helps keep the moisture in the trees on hot days, as fruit trees need lots of water.

We also transplanted one Spirea bush from the front yard to further back on the north side as it wasn't doing too well in the front yard. All the ones on the north side and back yard are doing well, and it was still alive, so well worth it to move it now and save it.

DH didn't want to move the lilac as he thinks it's dead, but someone told me that if they are moved to a better location, they can sometimes rebound. So we'll see if I can talk him into it next time we go up.

I sure got lots of walking in today; and my legs still managed to hold me up, but they were quite tired and wobbly tonight, so I put them up for a while after dinner to rest. Just wanted to come by and post a bit tonight.

We had a meatless meal tonight as we had something else on Monday. We had some Perogies with cheese and tomato sauce; boy, these are very filling, but awesomely quick to make -- only take about 5-7 minutes in boiling water.

PURPLE ~ I'm so glad that your mom's surgery went well for her; and we will send up more prayers for your Dad tonight for his procedure tomorrow. You are such a good daughter wanting to look after your parents when you have many challenges yourself; but you are also fortunate that they want to come to your house and stay. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your family; you are indeed blessed.

Well, that's all for now; hope you all have a great Thursday, and take good care ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-29-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #63  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

I am absolutely drained tonight. I think it is a week of worry that has compounded this with family health issues. Though I am glad to report that Dad pulled through his procedure very well. Fortunately the procedure was not so invasive as we were lead to believe on the paperwork he had had from the doctor. It said today they were going to do an angiogram plus something else for calcifications tests. I do not remember the name of this I know Mum told me be for the life of me can't remember. All Dad had done was a canula put into is hand and two substances injected into that. Then a scan was done it all took less than 45 minutes to do. So now they have to wait for the results which will be sent to his doctor.

So a bit thank you for all the prays for my family this week it has been gratefully received and answered as Mum and Dad are both safe if not quite sound yet Mum tomorrow goes to have here dressing changed on her wound by the practise nurse and Dad has his blood work done both at the doctors. So Mum says this next week is scheduled lots of appointments for various doctors, nurse and diabetic clinic.

Today we had had a mixed bag of weather. Glorious sun one minute and chucking down with rain the next. This combination of weathers has created a big thunderstorm at around 1.30am. So poor Rizzie spent about 40 minutes cowering at the back of DH computer chair. There is no consoling him after being frightened like this and it is so difficult to near impossible to get him out of this heightened stayed. He is now back to normal I am glad to report.

Talking of Rizzie we received our cheque today from the insurance company for the treatment he received during the recent operation on his ear. So popped to the bank this afternoon to put the cheque in.

Last night unfortunately I had another bout of the Rodney trotters. This is due to the antibiotics and the worry I suppose has not helped. I am back to normal today and my tummy feels fine. No abdominal pain associated with the trots. Antibiotics came to an end yesterday tea so hopefully my digestive system will settle down and get back to some normality.

On Wednesday of this week I am going to see the doctor to discuss the recent increase in medication that caused the horrid ankle/foot oedema and weight gain that goes with that. I will also discuss the medication that I am on for constipation and that I need to up this to 2 tablets per day. I have never been this much to the doctors. Twice in about a month, I normally only go about once a year. Hey they will soon think I am hypochondriac

Well no further news for today. Tomorrow DH is going to the dentist and then we are going to see Mum and Dad. So till next time take care.

purpleorc
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #64  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ the sun showed up today; we went up to the lot yesterday and I got so many blackfly bites on my face ... We went up town to pick up a few things; and picked up a regular apple tree to go with the pollinator (crap apple tree), so then we went up and planted it yesterday afternoon. It kept raining on and off, that's why the bugs came out in force; but PTL, we got it planted and mulched too. We put them right beside each other in the back yard, so they pollinate better; and now, I will be sending prayers that they both grow really well.

This afternoon, I was busy working on my plan of action lists (credit moi). I've been making up list of tools to help myself on this journey: Daily Mini-goals list; Daily exercises (things I can do, starting with 5 minutes & up); Daily Menus (made out enuff for 31 days +); and next job is to make a list of MOTIVATORS (listing all the things that I know will be better in my life once I get this weight off) ... maybe we could share some ideas when I get my list done.

HI PURPLE ~ I am so glad that all went well today for your Dad; that test almost sounds like what we call a CAT SCAN here; I had that done to make sure I had no blood clots. They injected a dye into my veins and this tube machine scanned to make sure I had not blood clots anywhere; it was all clear for me, so I was very glad of that.

Yes, many dogs have trouble with thunder storms; NIKO doesn't like them either. Our poor PIN PIN used to hyperventilate from the thunderboomies; they scared her so badly. So we would let her hide behind us and pet her; but she was still scared. NIKO hides near us too, but if we console him, he is OK; like PIN PIN, he felt being near us was safer. Hope you are feeling better soon and that your doctor and dentist's appointment go well; and hope you have lovely visit with Mom & Dad tomorrow too.

Well, just stayed home and did stuff around here, becuz I got lots of walking in yesterday (kudos to me); I'm happy that I did but sometimes it tires my legs out and they feel like jelly. I put them up for 2 hours this PM; so that should help a bit. Just having some tea right now while I'm posting; and battling skitters while I'm at it. Have myself armed with a fly-swatter, and we have got two of them, but one is still after me. It seems that as soon as you turn down the lights, the skitters come out to get ya ...

That's all the news for now; take good care, and we hope that you all have A FABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow!!! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-30-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #65  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, it seems it's that time again ... the end of another month: yah, August is here ... yeah! I like the month of August becuz the buggies start going away and the weather is nicer too. Plus that also means fall is just around the corner, which is my favorite season of the year, but I'm liking winter and spring much more these days becuz there's no buggies then ...

Anyhow ... it's now officially August 1st, SO, DON'T POST HERE ANYMORE, OK!!!

SEE YOU ALL OVER IN THE NEW AUGUST THREAD ...
Closed Thread