Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #46  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Been shopping again to Meadowhall in Sheffield which is about 40 miles away. The shopping trip was not as successful as I hoped but never the less had a lovely day. My body shape now I have lost a lot of weight still is heavy around the hips and thighs department. My once buxom bust has shriveled away and I never imagined that I would be considering push up type bras. Ever since they developed in my teens they have been what you would call now what's the word I am looking for I've got it big There was always a friendly banter between my very slender sister saying because I was the eldest and first in queue that I stole all the boobs My sister bless her has never been blessed in that department and has had fried eggs has she puts it I suppose my breasts have been a casualty of my weight loss mind you I did know I would not come off scot free with being very over weight for the majority of my life.

Tonight I am going out for a family meal (my DH side of the family) which we have every now and then. It is nice to get together and catch up on news and generally have a chatter. It has been a while since we have had the last one. I know we often try to do it as well when my DH Auntie comes over from Cyprus as it is a really good way for them to see all of us. That reminds me I must start to write her a letter as I have recently received one. When I say I , I mean we but my DH never writes letters as he is not a letter writer to say the least.

BLAZESTARR to the thread nice to have you on board. Sorry that your having a torrid time at the moment after just receiving your diagnosis. This is a tough time for anyone as no one envisages having health issues so plans or dreams you have change due to this. Give your time to adjust to the diagnosis ( sorry not sure what this was from reading your post) and grieve. Yes we all have a period of time when we do that after a diagnosis. I know I did and it took time for me to adjust to the fact I have MS and I could no longer nurse. I was like a bear with a sore head for many weeks until I had come to terms with it.

Sorry to hear that you have damaged your metabolism through years of yo-yo dieting. I can not envisage what this must be like for you as I have no experience of that but I do think Rosebud (Justwant2Bhealthy) does but I can not speak for her. I am glad that though you have found a "diet" that is for you and the best way forward with no restrictions to this food or that food but x number of points per day.

Look forward to hearing from you in the forth coming days and weeks.

ROSEBUD Glad your making head way with the bedroom now. I must say that the chicken meal sounds good especially now as I am really hungry as I am awaiting to go out at this point.

Yes I do find challenges come in cycles as you say as your condition has its good days and its bad days. The best thing is to over come these challenges and rise above them as we are more than the illness or syndrome that we have. I try to be in charge of the MS and not let it rule my life. I know you do the same and have the same attitude by the way you speak.

I do love the song Amazing Grace and Ave Maria. I do like those songs with religious overtones. My favourite hymn of all time is Jerusalem I have loved that song since as long as I can remember. The song Amazing Grace has nearly been sung at all the family funerals on my Dad's side of the family it has kind of become a tradition

Must run sorry just a short post but time limited today.

purpleorc
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #47  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ well, we were up with the birds this morning; guess it was on our minds that it was the day to get the new flooring. DH says that at 5 AM I told him it was time to get up and NIKO jumped right up and went to the door. Poor DH comes slumbering out and discovers that it was only 5 am ... oops; that's my talking in my sleep thing again. It was on my mind before I went to sleep last night that we should get up a wee bit earlier to make sure we had the bed out of the room, and I had a heck of a time getting to sleep at first. So, I'm sure that was why that happened.

Anyways, the lovely new floor is down in our bedroom; it's a rich medium oak color, similar to Mahogany hew. Very nice! It went pretty well until the end when they were getting tired and the very last row didn't want to fit right, but they finally got it and put the trim back up at 3:30 pm. Another fella was supposed to help but didn't show up until about 3 pm to tack the trim up; that's why it took so long.

We will be doing the other room on Thursday or Friday if the weather is good becuz they have to cut the end pieces outside and it's going to rain for the next couple of days. Actually, we started out with sun most of the day and just about an hour ago big dark clouds rolled in and it's starting to a bit now. Dh is back at moving things around again; that guy hates to be idle for long. We had a rest earlier, then had a very simple and quick dinner of Italian sausages (he has his on ww buns and I have mine with beans).

BLAZESTAR ~ sorry that you have been having so much difficulty with your back and walking. I can sure relate to that, as PURPLE has already mentioned. It will take some time to get used to your diagnosis; especially when a condition is deemed a permanent challenge. PURPLE is also correct in that I have been on diets from about the age of 15 y/o (was put on one by my DM and her doctor at that time). I really didn't want to go on one, but I did lose the weight, but within a year I had gained it all back and even got bigger than I was before.

Later, I asked nurse why that happened and she said she didn't know but recommended a high protein plan to me and I went on that and lost all of the weight, but slowly over 3 or 4 years it started to creep back on again, so I'd try again and that was the beginning of what I call the yo-yo years. After a decade or so of that, I got very discouraged and stopped dieting altogether. Eventually, I gained all the weight back plus dividends; and quit smoking twice and gained with each of those times. It wasn't until the last time I quit permanently that I actually lost as I decided to change my eating style at that time as well (about 6 years ago).

At first, I just watched what I ate so as not to gain; but about 2004-2005, I started to really try to lose some weight; albeit slowly at first. I lost about 25 lbs a year for about 3 years in a row. The last couple have been much slower, almost to a halt at times. I have just been using a portion-based style of eating (of about 1800-2000 cals at first); trying to find some balance and some semblance of normalcy, if any such thing even exists?

I have also added tips from whole foods and Volumetrics to help me, and try to have more protein snacks when I can. I just keep tweaking it as I go, and hope in the long term (my life) that this weight will eventually even out. I am on Metformin, as I was Prediabetic (which has normalized for me); and my doctor believed that indeed my metabolism was lowered through years of yo-yo dieting, and I have to say that I have always believed that as well. Now, I don't have any science behind this plan, but I'm just doing the best I can ...

HEY PURPLE ~ glad you had a pleasant day shopping in Sheffield. Yes, that is one of the side effects of losing weight; everything rearranges itself, but I'll take it. I'd rather be healthier and more comfortable even at that price. I was talking to NUMPSTER this weekend and she also went clothes shopping, but her DH helped pick out and match outfits for her as she hadn't been shopping for herself for some time. She has lost some weight since last summer and needed new clothes, but didn't know what size she was anymore.

Hope you had a nice time with your DH's family tonight; that is so nice when you both get along so well with both sides of the family. That's a double blessing in my books; you are very fortunate in that area.

We do see (DH visits his sister here often) and hear from Dh's family regularly (DH and his brother talk on the phone a few times a week as he lives over 500 miles away from us). Most of DH's family have already passed away (both parents), but he still calls one of his great aunties in Quebec just to keep in touch with her as she is the last in his Dad's family that is still living; and all his Mother's family are gone. He has one cousin here in town that he sees regularly. As you aleady know, my family is very spread apart across this country, so we keep in touch by phone and internet most of the time.

Anyway, not much else going on here right now, but I did take some pics of the new flooring. When I get some time in between moving things around and my daily chores, I'll post some of them. We do have to go shopping some time this week as we are getting terribly low on some basics. We put off becuz of the weather, but then have been busy too. It is supposed to rain tomorrow but maybe we can skoot out to get a few things.

Well, time to put my legs up and rest awhile; very tired tonight. Take good care, ladies ... ROSEBUD
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #48  
MSer living healthy

Good Morning Ladies

Gosh this is not morning to me it's the middle of the night It is 7.30am here and I really did not want to get up this morning and all I wanted to do is stay in bed. I went early to bed but still my body craves more sleep. Why up at this early hour? Well today I have to be up early as it is my treatment day at the MS centre. I know I will be fine once I come round so to speak just awaiting that magical moment or is that a miracle as it has a mountain to climb today

Oh last night was a lovely evening and gathering of the clan alright we are not Scottish so not strictly a clan. There were 11 of us in total just a couple a members missing. One nephew was not there due to a prior commitment and DH brother's partner was not there. She is a doctor studying to be a GP so has grueling hours to do not to mention fitting in study somewhere in between. One big thing both DH I noticed about our nephew apart from the obvious he had at finally long last had his hair cut. He had a right mop of unruly hair that he refused to have cut as it was trendy and cool. ( he thought that but us oldies thought it looked like a hippy ) Though now he has joined the RAF cadets (royal air force) and they have told him he needed a regulation hair cut. So off to the barbers and came out with a short back and sides. Wow he does look grown up now I must admit. The other big change in our nephew was now he was so much less introverted and joined in the friendly banter that we all have.

For the first time I had the search party out for me after I went to the ladies toilets. My DH had become concerned that I was a while so asked a lady member of our party to take a gander. I didn't think I had been gone long but obviously my DH now worries as he knows I have taken a couple of falls in the toilets. I must admit I did feel a little awkward having the search and rescue party. Though I do know why he would do it especially if the shoe was on the other foot and I was his carer.

ROSEBUD Glad you are having your flooring down it sounds a lovely colour. Your so like me Rosebud when it comes to having to be up that wee bit earlier for something. It tends to take me a long while to drop off to sleep even then often it is broken sleep. So by the time it is for getting up I am worn out now my DH doesn't suffer in that department. He can sleep on a clothes line I swear and nothing phases him like being up for a tradesman etc. I on the other hand whittle that I will be late up or don't hear the alarm. I imagine every bad scenario none of which happen I hasten to add the only thing that happens is me not sleeping

It was interesting reading your years of yo-yo dieting and the outcome of that. I do not think many people realise what they are doing to their bodies until it is too late. I think many people have the same issues as you especially if they have been overweight for many years. I on the other hand had another technique which was bury my head in the sand and pretend I was a like this 155lb goddess. All the time I was not really happy about my weight but to afraid to start the diet in case I failed. When I did start a diet I always cheated as I did it to please someone else. This time was different as I did it for me, I wanted to do it and I didn't know if I was going to fail but If I didn't try I was never going to find out. Now that I have lost the bulk of my weight I still have to be mindful and the battle is a new one to stay at a maintenance weight. I would like to lose a little more but at the minute I have hit that proverbial barrier.

Like you say it is a blessing when you get on with both sides of the family. I think of DH brothers and sisters like my own sister. It is so nice when you have that relationship. My DH gets on with my side of the family. He and my sister are always having funny banter between them. Just like he does with his own brother and sister. It is so lovely that they have taken me under their wing so to speak. They have become especially caring about my health issues and without them I would not do many things. The helped us move into this bungalow. I never lifted a bean all I was was chief tea maker and pointed to where furniture was to go etc.

Like me my DH parents have passed away but I am lucky in the fact the family all live in a 30 mile radius apart from a brother who emigrated to America. So we are able to see each other often and not just use to phone to stay mainly in contact. You tend not to get the great distances apart in the UK as we are a much smaller country. Though we have stayed a very insular family compared to many.

No further news here at the minute I can think of as my brain isn't working on all cylinders at the minute So take care till next time
purpleorc
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #49  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we woke up to ***** and cold temps this morning, but thankfully, the sun came out this aft and warmed things up a bit and melted all of it. Just stayed home and did stuff around here getting the spare room ready for new floors. We misplaced the shelves of our bookcase: DH put them away so good, he lost them!

Anyway, we had fish and coleslaw for dinner tonight; I had a good on plan day today and yesterday, so I was happy about that. I hope I can keep it up for most of the week at least. I'm hoping to do well for the weekdays and maybe have one treat for the weekend and see how that goes. Just a wee experiment really ...

HI PURPLE ~ glad you had such a great time at your family gathering! It's nice that your DH sends out search parties; this is good practice for him and it shows how much he cares. Yes, indeed -- you would do the same for him, I'm sure.

Speaking about the YO-YO Years: I am now trying to keep a better balance and fool my body into thinking it doesn't have to worry about getting enuff nourishment by eating healthier foods; more often, in small amounts; and by taking basic vitamins and minerals to help with shortages (which is a problem I do have in my body, from my European heritage supposedly).

You know, we were all just doing what our doctors and dieticians (I went to both) and other so-called experts told us to do, and some still do. My lifelong experience tells me that diets don't work longterm WITHOUT some plan how to maintain that lost weight. I actually think maintenance is even more important, or all the hard work and sacrifice is lost if you gain it all back. That's why I'm trying to keep to small snacks, mostly of protein foods to see if that will help me, but it is a challenge to stick to longterm.

I also believe it is harder the more you weight when you start out, and if you have other challenges as well; but I am hoping that perseverance or persistance, as it may be -- will help me. You know the motto: practice makes perfect: I'm hoping with practice, I will get better. I'm actually trying to keep to my plan for about 90% of the time, not really expecting perfection which is too hard for most people.

Well, that's all for now; time to take a load off and rest for a while. Think I'll do a puzzle and read some. DH is back at preparation in the spare room; took up the carpet and now the floor trim. Likes to keep busy that guy. So take good care, ladies; and please do have A WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!!

ROSEBUD
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #50  
MSer living healthy

Hello Ladies and good afternoon

The weather here today is very changeable one minute brilliant sunshine the next it is throwing it down with rain. So difficult to know what to dress in when it is this type of weather. Did though manage to get a small amount to washing dry today despite the changeable British weather.

Just bagged up some bay leaves today that I had been drying. My mum and dad have a bay tree in their garden to give them this aromatic herb. I like to put them in casseroles to give a nice flavour to the dish. If you look in the shop to buy this herb it is very expensive I can see why they bought a bay tree to grow their own. Last time I was there at my parents mum was salting red cabbage prior to pickling it. They pickle onions (shallots really) and make their own piccalilli. I must admit I prefer the home made variety so much better than the shop bought one.

Just returned from shopping and put all that away from my trip. Then taken out some loin of pork ready to put into a sweet Thai chili that I am making. I am thinking though of adding some vegetable or beans of some sort to make it more healthier for us. Quite looking forward to making this chili as I have never had it before it is a shop bought sauce I must confess but I thought it sounded nice and it is suppose to be mild.

ROSEBUD It is so interesting to hear about your woes with years of yo-yo dieting and yet still you have a positive attitude which is so admirable. I so agree with you that the more weight you have to lose at the beginning it has more issues alongside it and different ones with someone with say 20lbs to lose. Maintenance is also just as hard as healthy eating as was losing the weight the same battles rage in my head and the same craving still exist. Though no one said this was going to be easy when we started. I go through patches when I find it easier than others and that can also be linked to what is going on in my life. I am a emotional eater and always have been and probably always will be. It is just being aware that you are and not to keep the high calorific foods in the home so when you go on the trip of munching away it is less damning so to speak. So damage limitations in my book is the best I can do.

Lots of building noise going on at the moment as they still continue to do the road and install the bumps. We have one just to the left of our bungalow and that is the one they have been working on lots today. Not to mention the building works going on at the back of the property so we are being bombarded from both sides today.

Hope your DH has ferreted out the bookshelves that he put away so brilliantly that no one can find them What sort of fish did you have with the coleslaw? Here in the UK the most popular fish I suppose is cod and haddock. Though I do know other species of fish are eaten in different parts of the world.

You talk of taking vitamins due to shortfalls in your own bodies metabolism. The only one I take at present is garlic capsules only because it is suppose to aid the bodies immune system. With MS being an auto immune condition I kind of though anything that might help in that department was not a bad thing. I also eat flaxseed with goji berries in as it is suppose to help the central nervous system. Not sure how much they both help but I will say I don't touch wood get too many ailments.

Well I am going to put my feet up and have a cup of coffee now after a busy morning so take care ladies till next time

purpleorc
Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #51  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we've had a busy and very tiring day today getting things ready for the last new floor; so, it will be done tomorrow and then we can get things back into order again. We did so well finding ways to put things in small spaces and still have room to live at the same time. Tomorrow will be a bit more crowded as our linen cupboard and larger storage pantry will have to come out of the spare room (one to the hallway and one into the kitchen). This will be fun ...

Anyhow, it will all be done soon, but we sure are tired. Poor DH went to bed extra-early (8:30 pm) to be ready for tomorrow. We also managed to get some more things sorted at the same time and got rid of some more things while we were at it, which is a bonus!

HEY PURPLE ~ glad you got some shopping in; DH picked some things up for me yesterday but forgot a few things which we can pick up later this week after all the rooms are done. It was also cold and damp here today; boy, our muscles just can't stand the damp and cold weather these days. We had to put the heat on to help our aches and pains today. The sun did peak out at us around dinner time a bit; gee, why does it do that so often so late in the day? I'd much rather see it earlier in the day when I can enjoy it; not in the middle of the night when it's so dark outside.

Clever idea of your parents to grow their own bay leaf tree and pickling their own stuff. I used to do a lot of that, especially my own chili sauce which is much nicer than storebought and the chunky tomato kind is nice too (I forget the name of it tonight though -- too tired). I will remember it sometime in the future, I'm sure. Never tried TAI CHILI; never even heard of it, but some kind of beans would go nice with that pork (like maybe Navy, Kidney, or Black Beans).

I'm afraid we still haven't found those shelves yet, but maybe when we start putting things back in their place, hopefully we will find them again. This winter, DH and I took chewable Vitamin C and I also took Vitamin D3 with them, and neither of us had any big flues this year! Yeah! Just a few milder colds that we seem to be handling better this year. I just found out though that we should take 250 mg of Vitamin C in the morning and evening as the body can only use that much at once and the rest gets wasted out of the body, so we changed to that way of taking it (half in the morning and half after dinner).

Well, that's all the news from here for now; so tired, likely won't get much reading done tonight. I'll likely fall right asleep. So take good care, ladies ... and hope you all have A TERRIFIC THURSDAY tomorrow with great weather too!!! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-20-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #52  
MSer living healthy

Hello and good afternoon fellow chicks

It is another changeable day here but not so violent changes. The rain is just tiny showers barely enough to wet the ground and next the brilliant sunshine. Not long come back from a lovely walk during a sunny spell must admit I enjoyed it and it was not so bad as I imagined it would be. To tell the truth it was one of those times when I did not want to go walking but when I went I found I enjoyed it never the less. Now I feel good for the exercise. I have just been preparing some vegetable ready for the weeks use. I often do that so that all I have to do is go to my fridge and grab whatever vegetables I fancy for that meal. It makes it so much faster and can help you get a meal ready swiftly. Not that I prepare all vegetables one I do not do until required is parsnip as it tends to go brown on contact with the air for too long.

DH has done a bit of gardening today mainly raking one of the lawns. Though it is a balancing act not to aggravate his shoulder otherwise he is in agony for days. Tomorrow we are going to spend the day at mum and dad's then on to play cards in the evening. I played cards last night though I did no good. My DH on the other hand did very well and got first prize winning 2 chicken breasts each with his team of 4. This is a slightly different game as each game you play for flags. If you win you gain a flag if you lose you lose a flag. DH played against my team 4 times last night. Winning in total 5 flags from me. If you win with a big enough score you win 2 flags needless to say he did this twice too me

ROSEBUD I bet you be glad to get your flooring down and get your house squared up. It is alway awkward when you have tradesmen in doing work as good as they are at their job it creates "mess".

We have never tried sweet Thai chili until day and I must say it was lovely. It smelt very similar to sweet and sour sauce but was redder in colour. It was very filling and it is a definite keeper recipe. I do enjoy trying and experiencing new foods that way it keeps your diet varied and less likely to get bored.

I am sure that you taking vitamin C would have helped during the winter months trying to stave off flu's and colds. I am sure it is due to the fact there is not the fresh fruit about in winter like summer. Well that is affordable shall we say and don't need a mortgage to pay for it. I try to eat a lot of fruit whether it is tinned or fresh. Plus I have the flu vaccine every year. Today in the food department I have had a fruit medley of galia melon, mandarin oranges and banana

Like you last night I did not get much reading done as I was so tired I was falling asleep at my pc last night prior to going to bed. I did manage a few pages before lying my head down on the pillow. I have just started a new book and this is about two sisters and their families. The two sisters are total opposites and it is set in 1939 at present when I reading it. Not sure what year it ends. It is proving a little more difficult to get into as I had an exceptional good book to read prior to that. If that is ever the case I find the next book I read hard to get into the characters and story line.

Watched a programme last night called embarrassing bodies. The show tackles different ailments and conditions. Trying to demystify tests and examinations to make you less fearful of going to the doctors. This is in hope that you will not sit and suffer in silence for years with a problem that is treatable. This for me is great if if gets just one person to go to the doctors and not sit and suffer. I am sure watching the series that it will help many get over fears of the unknown about certain tests. Like blood, urine and faecal ones to name a few. We all maybe asked to do these type samples at one time in our life.

No further news must go and make tracks and start preparing tea. So till next time take care

purpleorc
Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #53  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hello! We've been having some nice weather here the last 2 days-in the mid-80's F-so finally got all of my veggies planted, as well as flowers in the beds and some pots. Got a little sunburn at the same time, too! Just a few more days and DS2 will be done with public school for this year and we've been done with the homeschooling part for a couple weeks, so I'm ready for a break! Tomorrow, DH and I are going with his sister to take their father to Mayo Clinic for consult with an oncologist. He's been diagnosed with lung cancer which is inoperable and they're afraid chemo will kill him as well, so he may not have much time left.

Rosebud-so glad your floors are almost done! I'm sure you're looking forward to putting things back together and relaxing. Tell your DH he's not the only one who puts things away so well they can't be found later-that seems to be the norm in our house! I've been taking vitamin D, calcium, flaxseed & fish oil and I'm sure they help me feel better, especially mood-wise.

Purple-I loooooove piccalilly! So funny to hear someone else mention it, as most people here don't know what it is (most people don't grow, can, or freeze their own foods, anymore). My dad always made it and it was just the best tasting stuff to put on burgers, hot dogs, or eat right out of the jar! Since I've ended up with more cabbage in my garden than usual this year, as I forgot that I had bought some plants and then bought some more I'll have to write myself a note to make a batch this summer-mmmmm! That show about medical tests sounded interesting and I agree that we are all too embarrassed about certain things and scared to bring them up to the doctors, especially men! I'm sure that's why my fil didn't find out that he had lung cancer until it was too late to treat it.

Well, I need to go get something else done today, but not sure exactly what. Might just go take a walk. Take care everyone! We have a long weekend this weekend for Memorial Day, so it's kinda the "summer kick-off" so to speak, but also remembering those who have given their lives for our freedom, as well as loved ones who've passed. Have a great weekend, whatever you do!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #54  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, the weather ruined our best-laid plans for today: it poured all day long! So the landlord had to cancel the floor until tomorrow (Friday) as they have to cut the pieces outside and he can't breathe well as it is and the rain makes it much worse for him.

So, we decided to go shopping instead to make use of the rest of the day. We got up very early and moved the desk and cupboards out of the room to be ready. DH even took up the carpet and removed all the moldings and scraped up the foam backing, so all they have to do is start laying down the floor. When they finished the other floor, we did a touch-up on the paint before taking the furniture back in.

DH is trying to round up a paint roller at our local dollar store. We have the pole, the metal holder, and we just need the replacement rollers. Hope he finds one, so we can put one coat of paint on the walls tonight before they do the floor. I wanted both rooms painted before the new floors were put in, but that didn't happen as it was supposed to ...

Thank goodness, the master bedroom wasn't too bad and we were able to touch it up and it looks OK for now, but this room is really aweful; so DH and I want it done now before we put any stuff back in. The landlord says they will reimburse us for the paint which I had already picked up myself. DH is back and he did get some rollers; so now he's in there doing some painting as we speak, as we think it's better to do it BEFORE they put down the new floor.

We picked up a great deal on the deli spit BBQ chicken today; I got two of them for half price each, so I put one in the freezer, and re-heated one up for dinner tonight. We also had veggies and a cucumber salad along with this as well. Baked a light apple crisp for dessert too.

PURPLE ~ would love you to share that TAI CHILI recipe with us -- also do you remember the site you shared with us a while back? I lost the sites name somewhere; it's one you have mentioned for recipes a couple of times. I could see how preparing some veggies and putting them in sealed containers could be helpful. I also prepare fresh veggies up and put them in small freezer bags; and then toss them into the pot as I need them (so they're all ready to go: I do carrots, turnip, broccoli, cauliflower, and snap beans this way).

You can also prepare celery and onions (sliced or chopped); and put them in a small snap container for whatever you need them for. I buy sweet peppers (all colors) and chop them into small pieces, then put them into baggies too and freeze them; when I need some, I just break a clump off. This is great for tomato sauces, chili, pizzas, stir-fries, and yes, even salads.

Yes, that show about medical tests sounds interesting indeed; and could prove to be a very helpful tool for many people, especially if they cover tests like colon rectal exams, and stomach exams and so forth that people are very nervous about having. I think that is a terrific idea!

RONNIE ~ glad to hear the home schooling is done for this year -- now you can take some time to enjoy yourself and do some gardening and other things that you want to do. The gardening sounds like it's going very well already -- you are a way ahead of us this year. I haven't even started yet, but we do have a later and much shorter season than many areas. I haven't even decided what I am going to do yet; I have only picked up onion sets so far (mulitipliers and reds).

DH found one of my garden drums and brought it here this week to take to the lot. We have a garden here along the side of the house already made, but we have to decide what we are gonna put in it and get at it as soon as the floors are out of the way; we still have lots of time left though.

GOOD NEWS ~ DH was so upset that he lost the book shelves, that first thing this morning, he got up and went out to the shed and rambled through all the boxes and EUREKA -- he found the shelves. They were wedged between two boxes he had piled on top of each other, then covered with a plastic tarp to protect it from rain. That's why he couldn't see them, but they are now back in the book shelf again.

ANYWAYS, that's all the news for now; take good care, and we hope that you all have FANTASTIC FRIDAY!!! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-21-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #55  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Just a quick drop by as it is late here. So you will have to forgive my spelling errors and my bad grammar OK so you probably won't notice as it usually bad

RONNI Sorry to hear about your FIL and his dx (diagnosis sorry nursing shorthand dx for that) Yes like you say men often bury there heads in the sand and hope it will go away. Mind you it is pot calling the kettle black. I started with the symptoms of MS and in my heart of hearts I knew what it was. So if I did not go to the doctors I didn't have it Well eventually it became so bad I could no longer hide it from anybody and off to the doctors I had to trot. I think we have all been guilty of it at one time or another with not going to the doctors about something hoping that it would go away or convincing yourself it is not bad enough yet to see the doctor.

Has you say cancer is a dreadful disease though so many more advances have been made in curing the disease. I hope the Mayo clinic can have some positive news for you to hang on to. I am thinking of you during this stressful time.

I am sure your pleased that home schooling is done for a while and you can turn your attentions to something else or fit in a bit of well earned rest. We are lucky in the UK we can virtually grow vegetables all year round as our climate is what is called temperate and not the big extremes of hot and cold. I see you mentioned a sun tan. Here in the UK at the minute it is more likely to be rust we are having a spell of wet weather. It is more like April showers one minute raining next sunny talk about not knowing what to wear for the best

Gosh my grandparent use to do all sorts of home made products shamefully I do not do they as I do not have a vegetable garden like they did. Beside I do not have green fingers. My parents do but all I have to do is look at a plant and it withers and dies on me. I use to hate the dreaded words from my parents can you look after the green houses whilst we are away. Inevitably I would kill something either the cucumber or some of the tomato plants I think the green finger gene missed me completely. My grandparents would pickle lots of different vegetables. They would preserve runner beans by slicing them and then salting them. Store apples on brown paper. Make jams, chutney, sauces, bottle fruit in kilner jars the list was endless. I so wish I had learnt that. I have learnt some of the skills from them but not all as when I was a child I was more interested in baking and cooking dinners. Now I wish I had paid more attention to the other skills they processed.

How are you with the heat? You said it was about 80f /26c. I am afraid I am badly effected by the heat. I soon wither and have no energy and feel lifeless. Some msers have no problems with the heat. If we do have those high temperatures that effect me I have a portable air con unit. Here in the UK very few homes have air con as part of the home. Mainly because we seldom have the temperatures that require it to be honest. You watch it now I have said that we will have a scorching summer Seeing as I have tempted fate.

One thing I will say we do have some good television programmes here in the UK though we do have to pay a license fee to own a television in this country. So no one is exempt it is £142 or roughly around $200. When I say no one is exempt that is not strictly true their are concessions if you are visually impaired or are over 74. My father is over 74 so they do not have to pay for one due to his age.

ROSEBUD I hope you have managed to have your floor laid to day landlords health permitting. It is horrid having a condition that is effected by the weather. Arthritis comes to mind when cold damp weather makes the pain much worse.

I must say lunch sounded lovely and the baked apple would have gone down a treat. I love that especially with cinnamon sprinkled on it I am afraid I can take no credit for the Thai chicken recipe as it came out of a jar I do not know if the brand exists in Canada but it was uncle bens. The site I have mentions regarding lovely recipes http://greenlitebites.com/ is by a lady in the same position as ourselves trying to lose weight or maintaining not sure what mode she is in. She lost a fair amount of weight so is in the same boat as us. I have used many of her recipes or just tweaked them to include ingredient I can get in the UK. Great idea though of freezing different vegetable, pepper etc to use in meals being be prepared. Anything that will help us as we may not be able to stand on our feet for hours on end as others may in preparing food.

Yes I thought it was an excellent programme covering all sorts of medical examinations that often we have heard about but not actually seen. So this programme takes you into that world of medical procedures and technical names and demystifies them. Like ronni said men are renowned for not going to the doctor they would rather suffer. This I find bizarre why they should do this

Glad Sherlock Holmes has been on the case of the missing cases It is so frustrating when you can not find something. I have misplaced two pieces of costume jewelry. A purple necklace and a clear stone magnetic bracelet. I have looked high and low for them but still they do not come to light I bet I will find them when I least expect and when I am not looking for them

I see from what ronni mentioned it is memorial weekend the equivalent of our remembrance sunday to honour our service men and women.

Time for me to finish this is turning into a long post so much for a quick stop by You know me once I get typing I waffle on and on for England So goodnight to you all and catch you soon.

purpleorc

Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #56  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Today looks like it is going to be another of those changeable days weather wise. The weather reminds me of what was traditionally our April weather of having showers then spells of sun shine. Must be what global warming has done to our weather. I know growing up we did have a little more snow not like in Canada or US don't get me wrong but now we so seldom see any. Not that I am complaining too much on that front as now snow keeps me indoors as I am like bambi on ice at the best of times :

I have woken up to a gorgeous smell this morning. I have been slow cooking a piece of lamb. Well a huge piece of lamb really. I suspect I will be putting a lot back into the freezer for future meals. I have just about go all the vegetable done as I said the other day that I had prepared them. I need to go a wee bit later and see to those last minute things like peeling parsnips and washing new potatoes.

Tomorrow I am having lemon and ginger pork. Cheating again as it comes out of a jar the sauce. Though I will be adding pork and some vegetable to this. I have a couple of very lean piece of pork to dice, I think it is the loin of pork so no fat to speak of.

Dropped my prescription in yesterday at the doctors and DH made me an appointment to go and see the doctor. This is for a medication review which has to be done by law in the UK. This is to stop repeated years of getting the same medication when maybe it is not needed any more. Normally most people go every 6 months but I go every 18 months as I have a chronic condition which is not curable at present. My medication also was prescribed by the hospital MS team and not them so they tend to leave well alone. I have drugs which are known to be addictive but the hospital told my doctor that does not matter providing I have a quality of life worth living. Prior to that life was very difficult without them as I was in so much pain. It is now so much better in comparison.

This weekend I have to catch up on one or two chores. I have a small portion of laundry to iron and I need to strip the bed and wash the bed clothes. I normally leave tasks like this for the weekend as during the week i maybe on a trip out delivering to some place or other. Time is creeping on I noticed it was only 5 weeks yesterday till we get our new car. Gosh it does not seem nearly 3 years we have had this car. Not long now till we drive away our new one. The day after I think I go to hospital to see the MS team for my 18 month review. Not normally do they do anything but it keeps me on the books and allows me to talk over any difficulties I was having. The last big deterioration in my condition they sent me for an MRI scan just to check it was MS rather than anything more sinister going on. The scan came back negative just showing up the MS plaques in the brain and spine.

No further news going on in my neck of the woods all that is left for me to say is hello to ROSEBUD, VALDINE, RONNI, NUMSPTER, BEVERLYJOY,ROSEY, BLAZESTAR and MEOWEE. Now if I have forgotten to mention someone sorry I was trying to do the list from memory which as more holes in it than swiss cheese Take care one and all and have a lovely bank holiday weekend. (oops not sure if that is the case else where in the world but monday is a bank holiday here in the UK)

purpleorc
Old 05-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #57  
Rosebud

HI PURPLE ~ we have had such a busy week and Friday was filled to the tops for sure. Yeah, we finally got the second floor done yesterday. At least, we had everything out of the room and ready to start. I was so tired afterwards that when I put my feet up on the sofa after dinner, I fell asleep and didn't wake up til 3 AM; then went bed and didn't wake up til 8 AM this morning ... does exhaustion come to mind???

Boy, are we glad that is all done! The floors do look quite nice; the spare room is a rich chesnut color (they all look like hardwood), and he made sure to get flooring that have a builit in grip on them (so they are not at all slippery like the one in the livingroom and hallway. I guess they have been perfecting this kind of flooring, and have realized this as a flaw; and have corrected it. This will be much easier to take care of too: today, I just whizzed through with my big DUSTING MOP.

Yes and thanks ~ that was the site I was talking about; I just realized as I was reading your post, that I have likely already designated it as a FAVORITE site as well. Funny how things come to mind after the fact. That lamb and pork dish both sound very yummy.

WE spent most of today putting back all the furniture in the spare room; then all the linen back in its cupboard, plus the food back in the pantry, and I'm exhausted again. DH is gonna pick up something quick for supper tonight and I don't care what it is right now, as long as I don't have to cook and walk on these poor feet.

We just had our May longweekend on the 16-18th; it's usually this weekend, but for some reason they put it back a week. The US has a memorial weekend now instead (we have our memorial day in NOVEMBER in Canada).

The weather was a bit cool yesterday but nice enuff to do the floor. We had a wee down pour first thing this morning and then things cleared up for the rest of the day, we had a lovely day with temps around 60F.

Time to go have dinner; take good care ladies ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #58  
Rosebud

HI, it's me again ~ my last post was so rushed that I see I have some mistakes in it and DH came back with dinner, so had to cut it short. We had something really, really naughty, I must say (homemade chips & gravy) but that's all we had so this will be a maintenance day for sure (sure was yummy though).

We managed to get all the furniture back in our room and the cupboards filled except one; we had the luxery of taking our time and ended up with one cupboard empty (the newest one), so I am gonna take that and use it for all my computer and desk stuff (stationary and such). My desk/ table is so cluttered and we had some stuff in boxes with nowhere to put them, but now we do. DH said everything went back much better than taking it out, but I think that was becuz we were so rushed.

So our livingroom and kitchen look more like they should and I'm so glad for that; I hated them being cluttered up like that. Our landlord says that he is selling our building to his son, who came by with a truck today and took all the garbage away to the dump from both place (all the old rugs and such from the work). Have to say that DH did a good job helping with the floors; the landlord really pushed him hard. Poor DH didn't get to even stop for coffee or lunch. I went to the trouble of making a pile of sandwiches and bought DH some mini-donuts and made a pile of coffee, most of which I ended up drinking. DH finally got to have his lunch mid-afternoon ...

Anyways, over the next week, I will put back all the small stuff like the books on the shelves and such while DH gets his wood for his new shed. He likes to keep busy and that's his newest project. We really need a small shed out at our lot to put our things in, so he is gonna start on that pretty soon.

PURPLE ~ thanks for helping me carry the thread while I was so busy and tired. Don't worry about waffling on; I can ramble on quite a bit myself when I get going. You don't even realize how much you have written until you get to the bottom or send up the post.

I put my legs up for two hours; worked on a puzzle and just had a really good rest. Poor DH went to bed early as he was zonked. Think I'll go and make myself some tea and do some rockin' for the rest of the evening.

HI to all our friends out there; hope you all are having a SUPER-DUPER SATURDAY NIGHT!!! And, have a great long weekend for those who have this weekend for a holiday too ... ROSEBUD
Old 05-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #59  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies and good afternoon.

Well I fibbed about the weather yesterday when I said it was changeable it turned out to be an absolutely lovely sunny day no rain after that at all. Today is also a really sunny day, wow shock two days in a row. Don't know what I am going to do without any rain to keep up my rusty finish Not complaining though nice to have a lovely sunny spell that is not too hot.

Must admit this weekend I am really feeling the need to my oxygen therapy and jobs I had planned are on the back burner at the minute. I have done the essentials and thats all. I am hoping that I get a burst of energy sometime soon. Today ate the lemon and ginger dish with rice. Oh it was lovely and then we had pineapple for dessert. I had some ripe bananas so I have made our special frozen dessert to use them up.

I had a walk yesterday afternoon just before tea. Now I really did not want to go but made myself as I must make the most of the good weather. Part way round I started to feel better and by the end of the walk it was the best I had felt all day. So I am glad that i gave myself that swift kick up the proverbial as it did me the power of good. It was nice to see all the gardens in flower and looking so beautiful. Plus we saw how much work they had completed on the traffic calming system on our road. My road is a little bit on the long side but you can not see to the end as the is a curve in the road that prevents this.

I have just watched a medical programme of a doctor who works part time in our health system and then all over the world in third world countries. He has been forced to look at old techniques and treatments which are cheap. With the fact they are cheap they can be afforded in third world countries. One of the concoctions he had invented for wounds to promote healing was very simple. All it used was sugar, vaseline and glycerin mixed into a paste and applied onto the wound itself. After a couple of days it takes the smell or odour out of a wound that is infected. This is very cheap and effective treatment. The other treatment was using something used as a primate type of skin graft. It may not give such brilliant results but at least the wound would heal. The final treatment was that for club foot instead of operating he used plaster casts to manipulate the foot into the right position.

ROSEBUD I can see that you would be absolutely shattered after all the upheaval it all takes its toll. It may take a few days to actually get back on your feet so too speak. Glad you like the end result, I must admit the colour is sounding lovely. I love that colour I must admit so I bet the finish is beautiful. I suppose like you have said they have rectified the problems with the surface being like a skating rink in previous wood flooring. See the landlord is a bit of a slave driver when it comes to work. I hope your DH has no ill effects of all the work without a wee break. The one blessing as you mentioned the easiness of keeping them clean and it only takes a few minutes. No lugging around heavy hoovers to clean them just a light weight floor mop.

The children are off from school this week for half term holiday. Our school year is broken up into what are called terms. Half term holidays tend to be just a week off school. Though our summer holiday tend to be shorter than many countries at 6 weeks. My niece whom is 15 is taking her exams at the minute. She has taken 4 already though has 9 after the half term holiday. She needs to obtain 5 exams A to C grade to get into a course at college. She has had the interview at college and she has a place on this course providing she gets the exams results. The course is a social care course that gains you entry into several course to do with the caring profession. She would like to do one of these career midwifery, social worker or nursery nurse. Though on the completion of this course she may find that she will take a different career path in the caring profession. Here in the UK you can not start nursing etc until you reach the age of 18. This course takes 2 years and so she will be that age on its completion.

Now I think I will go and put my feet up for a rest so take care till next time

purpleorc

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #60  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ just a lazy day here for us; we did have sun on and off with cool winds and temps around 60F (I'll take it; it's actually one of my favorite times; well, before the hot temps come and no buggies at all). We shouldn't have too many buggies here since we are in town now; there usually aren't very many from what I remember from living in town before.

I stayed home and rested while DH went and picked up some of our wood with his trailer; he was up and gone before I even woke up this morning. We have decided to build a small 8' x 8' shed to put all our stuff in (storage) at our lot; and DH says it should take him less than a week (a few days) to put up, even if he takes his time. If the weather is nice, we might go up early this week; this is a good time of year for such a project.

We just had a light dinner called CREOLE PASTA: pasta with tomatoes and cheese sauce; this is a very quick and easy dish and very yummy too. When I was putting all the food back in the pantry, I noticed that we have piles of pasta that needs to be eaten up, so it was pasta for dinner tonight, instead of chicken. A good meatless meal is very healthy for us anyways.

Well, there's not much else to report from here; just gonna have a quiet restful evening at home tonight as next week, we'll be busy at our lot as we can (according to health and weather, of course). Also getting things ready to lay the floor on the cottage as well!

It was DH's birthday, but he was confused and thought he was one year younger; I finally convinced him of his right age (the calculator never lies unless it's broken). Anyways, we will be celebrating a bit later than we usually do (tomorrow); his favorite is hamburglers (and will make a very small cake so we don't splurge too much).

Take good care, and hope you all have a MARVELLOUS MONDAY!!! ROSEBUD
Closed Thread