3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ January's Monthly Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/159902-physical-challenges-%7E-januarys-monthly-thread.html)

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-01-2009 02:18 PM

PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ January's Monthly Thread

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

:D HAPPY JANUARY EVERYONE:D

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-01-2009 02:30 PM

New Month : New Year ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S DAY!

WELL, it's a new Month and a new Year! This gives us another chance to start fresh. I got so busy on another site last night that I forgot to come back and start the January thread; but, I'm not really late, becuz today is the first day of January and the first day of the new year 2009!!!

PURPLE ~ if you want to bring your new posts in here that would be OK. You beat me in here today. DH and I started the year off right and went out for a short walk this morning; I used my ski poles and it helped me a lot. There is a bit of a hill out front, so I went down and back up on the east side; the next time, I try the west side which is a bit steeper and my goal is to go to the next corner and back home. It's mostly hill up there, but downhill back home. The winds were very cold and my face was frozen by the time we got back; will have to wrap my face competley next time, and think I'll get my big parka out tomorrow as well.

We are going out to a friends for NEW YEAR'S dinner late this afternoon; that should be nice. We just stayed home last night and had a quite evening. DH watched movies and I met some new friends on a new Christian site that I had joined last year. They have a forum there similar to here and I found it by accident and got carried away answering questions, but it was a fun way to spend a coupld of hours on New Year's Eve.

:welcome: to 3TURKEYS ~ glad you found us and decided to join us on our Challenges thread. We are always happy to have more join us here!

HI MEOWEE ~ Hope you are feeling OK out there; haven't seen you around the last couple of days. We had blowing snow here tonight; hope the weather out there isn't giving you trouble. Anyways, when you can get back in, we would appreciate you putting our new thread up as a red sticky for us. Hope to hear from you soon and thanks ...

HI TO NUMPSTER and VAL too!

Hope you ladies are having a great day too! Take good care and I'll be back later :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 01-01-2009 03:10 PM

Hi everyone

:newyear: Happy New Year for 2009 :newyear:

It still remains very cold here :brr: it has not gone above freezing and we also have fog which is a dangerous combination for anyone driving at this time of the year.

DH is out of the house at the minute walking Rizzie (dog) more than likely they will have gone for a 3 mile walk which I can't do. Plus with the weather being so cold I have been staying indoors so not to trigger my trigeminial neuralgia which does not act well in cold weather and is a known trigger factor for me. I have just finished doing 25 minutes on my whole body vibrator :yikes: I have found leg muscles that I didn't knew that existed :rofl: If I feel like it later I may have a short session of about 7 minutes.

I visited my sister the other day and the children where showing me their wii fit board. ( Christmas present to all 4 girls from their parents) Needless to say they dragged me up to have a go on ones that did not have too energetic moves :o I did the Slalom skiing and ski jump. I would love to have one of these as it has a whole section on balance and I know that MSers have have benefited from this. Trouble is that they are so expensive :( so I will not be getting one anytime soon. We are saving for the deposit on our car which we change this month. I am entitled to a car due to my poor mobility but some cars (the bigger ones especially) require a deposit. So we are saving like mad to give ourselves the biggest choice of cars to choose from. I can't believe that 3 years have nearly gone by it does not seem that length of time. You have the car 3 years then change it. You keep it for 5 if it is heavily adapted to suit your needs.

ROSEBUD I won't tell a soul that you told us when your sisters birthday was ;) Sounds like something my sister or I would do to her :lol:

It sounds like your ring sizes are different to ours in the UK here they are letters rather than numbers. I have looked at the conversion chart on the INTERNET and it says I was 7 3/4 (P1/2) and have gone to 5 (J 1/2). So we have both lost a lot around our fingers. I feel naked at the minute without my rings on my fingers but it will be nice that they fit rather than dropping off my finger. You sound like my Mum and sister regarding an allergy to metal. Mum and my sister it is gold but fine with silver. Mum did not find out until she had her wedding ring :(. But since then Dad has bought her a lovely silver one. Not that there is much choice of nice rings in silver.

DH normally takes Rizzie with him on his walks but occasionally he has a limp. I suspect it is the starts of arthritis. So if he has these symptoms only small walks are in order not to aggravate it. He is not a young as he once was. Mind you neither are any of us :lol3: To be honest Rizzie is the shadow of my DH he can not even get into the bathroom without him :) The only time he is not his shadow the minute he heres the shower go on for my DH he sits the furtherest place away namely the lounge :D Thats because he hates water with a passion.

NUMPSTER :balloons: :bday2you: :balloons: Belated happy birthday to you. I hope you had a wonderful day.

3turkeys :welcome2: to 3fc and to this thread. Here you will find a great bunch of ladies who have different challenges in life. You will find it is nice to find someone who really understands your struggles that you have on a daily basis. Look forward to getting to know you over the next few weeks and months

Must go to check on the lunch as I have it cooking at present. Do not want burnt offerings for dinner ;) Take care everyone

:wave:purpleorc :hug:

purpleorc 01-01-2009 03:23 PM

Hello All :wave:

My apologies if I have posted duplicate posts of my last post but it keeps saying I have posted it already. I have refreshed the page and I still do not see it. Another one of those cyber mysteries we need Sherlock Holmes for or maybe it is my PC and it might be need of reformatting which I have been putting off as I hate the job. I might be extra nice to DH and he will do it for me ;) Joking aside if it is in duplicate and I get to see it sometime this January I will come and delete one of them.

purpleorc 01-01-2009 03:28 PM

Hi Again, I'm back ;)

Found it, I was having one of my moments where if I had a brain cell I would be dangerous moments :rofl: I was only trying to post my very first post rather than this one :o Oh well mystery solved and now to go and watch the worlds strongest man final heat before the finals tomorrow.

I have just remembered that over the holiday period I tried a recipe out on 3 guinea pigs :D Well Mum, Dad and DH it is a low fat chocolate pudding that is simple and easy to make.

Here is the site http://www.dlife.com/dLife/diabetic-...e-Pudding.html

That I took the recipe from we had it cold when it says it sets that is not strictly true. It is the consistency of custard. When i put it in the fridge to chill I put cling film (plastic wrap) on the top of the pudding to stop a skin forming. You let the cling film rest on top of the pudding but do not push the film in the dessert.

Everyone enjoyed the pudding if you want a more set pudding add more cornstarch though this will add a little more calories to the over all finish. one thing that is excellent about this site it can be easily adapted for as many as you want. It a good fix for those of us (namely my DH :D) with a sweet tooth also good for anyone whom is diabetic as it a diabetic recipe.

I feel spoil today being able to answer posts and having a leisurely day. It is certainly nice to recharge the batteries so to speak. Bye and take care

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-01-2009 10:55 PM

HI PURPLE ~ that was nice of you to come in again and re-enter your posts for today. That takes some time and I know you have lots on your hands. Don't worry, everything looks great to me. Thanks for the link for that pudding recipe; you know I try everything you send our way. I really love some of your unique recipes and passed on your CHOCOLATE-BANANA FREEZE to a friend today and they are going to try it too. I definitely want to try this one as the low-cal one I buy is quite expensive and not always available, so this may be a good replacement for us.

I see that it is still below freezing there: did you get any SNOW for Christmas then? Or did you just get the yucky parts; cold, rain, and ice? I saw one of those VIBRATING machines in a catalogue recently but he price is pretty high; probably the same for the WII machine too. A bit too dear for us too, I'm afraid.

I can wear white gold, rodium, and silver and they don't bother me, but gold eat away at my flesh when mixed in water, etc. Yet, I must wear gold or the afore mentioned metals in my pierced ears or they would get infected. So I wear gold earrings all the time (loops of various sizes are best for me).

Our NIKO is the same; he adores DH and follows him everywhere, so much so that DH has to send him out in the livingroom sometimes to get some peace. He wants to go everywhere DH is, including the bathroom, but DH has banned him from that room. ;) When DH bends over to put his boots on. NIKO licks his face off. I told DH ... don't you complain; you always wanted a little boy who adores you, and now you have one.:D

NIKO also hates water and the shower; and runs and hides whenever he thinks you are going to put him in there. We had to use a water spray to train away some bad habits recently and that's how we discovered just how much he hates water. He doesn't like to get wet at all and isn't too fond of rain either.

Well, we had a lovely dinner at our friends and played some games and the ladies won them both tonight. We had garlic and honey ribs with a potatoe casserole and fresh pineapple and strawberries with yogurt for dessert; Dh has a raspberry serbert as he isn't too fond of fruit (as you know). Boy, it was storming as we were leaving to come home; we had a lovely time, but was glad to get in from that mess. Will have to have them over for dinner and games in return.

ANYHOW, that's all the news from here for now; time to go put my feet up and do a puzzle before bed. VAL and NUMPSTER ~ TGIF hope you ladies had some time off work this week! I don't know if New Year's Day is a holiday anywheres or not ... :shrug:

Take good care ladies and have a great weekend; your friend :hug:ROSEBUD :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-01-2009 11:23 PM

BUMP ...

Just bumping up this thread to make it more noticeable for MEOWEE and our newest member 3TURKEYS ...

If MEOWEE can't make it in tonight or tomorrow, I will ask another Moderator like MANDALLIN or MEG to red sticky this new thread for us ...

HI 3TURKEYS ~ glad to have you join us in this thread. Saw the picks of your two lovely girls in your profile. How's the weather down there in KANSAS? I'm am in the north and it's cold and windy here right now. Come back and visit us often ...

purpleorc 01-02-2009 02:12 PM

Hi Ladies

It is a bit late for me coming on here but time just seemed to whizz by. I have been doing a bit of typing for BIL as a favour (letters and emails) nothing too taxing. Though I it took me far longer than expected. Plus we had a visitor this afternoon. We have not seen him in a long while (few months) and he noted on how well we are looking and how much weight we have both lost.

Jumped on the scales today to see the dreaded damage from over Christmas. Well 2lb up from my ticker weight so not so bad as I thought it might be. I suppose the exercise did some damage limitation ;) I am going out for a meal tomorrow at a friends house. She does healthy eating so food will be in that vain. I will ensure that I have light calories throughout the day as I will be eating a 3 course meal (normally do have ).

ROSEBUD I will have to wait for another year for snow on Christmas day :( . It was chilly but that was it. This year I thought we really had a chance with how cold it has been. I think the old adage came to fruition "to cold to snow"

Yes low calorie desserts from supermarkets can be pricey so any I can make that is a bonus. When I go shopping I look to see which one has the best deal at the minute. We have weight watchers framage frais type yoghurt's at the minute. Plus Danone feel fuller for longer yoghurt's. I make sure they pan in no more than 75 calories per yoghurt. I buy natural fat free yoghurt as well and sweeten that with sweetener. I then add in silvers of blanched almonds, dried fruit, fruit. To make my own yoghurt's as such. I got the idea from being on holiday in the Greek Island of Crete where Greek yoghurt was on offer and then loads of different fruits, nuts dried fruits to eat with it. If you do not have a sweet tooth the sweetness from the fruit and dried fruit maybe enough for you.

Sounds like Niko is related to Rizzie when it comes to water with their hatred for it in any shape or form. Yet some dogs you have trouble keeping them out of the water their in like grease lightening.

The dinner we are having at friends tomorrow we will be playing games also. More than likely cards but we do play dominoes (12 dot variety) and trivial pursuit. We play the trivial pursuit occasionally as the DH of the host likes that. Mind you were all hopeless at it except the host DH whose a walking encyclopedia :lol:

Yes the whole body vibrating machines are expensive. I think I would have waited to get one but DH insisted I get one as this model works well with MS and improvement is shown. This is the web site of the model I own http://www.mendyourhealth.co.uk/index.html . Unbeknown to me he had been saving money to buy me this as he had seen it at the MS centre. Most bits of equipment we get are thousands of English pounds and this one though expensive is one of the cheapest forms of therapy we have seen at the centre.

Take care all and have a nice weekend all. Hello :wave: Numspter, Val, 3turkeys and meowee

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-02-2009 04:13 PM

:wave:HI LADIES ~ As you can see, Amanda has red-stickied our new January thread for us. Canada has been experiencing a lot of storms of late, esp in the south and eastern side of the country. I heard that the weather is colder all across the country (even in BC, which is usually milder); and all across the northern and mid-western states as well.

And with the storms, come power outages and the internet gets knocked off as well. I sure hope they get things sorted out for them soon; as many have to rely on the hydro to get their heating systems going too. Many have generators and/or wood stoves as backup as well. DH and I are going to get a generator for our lot sometime this year: for a power source mostly (to saw wood for our cottage), then later as a backup too.

We are way up north, so we are having mild temps today with lots of big snow flakes: it's very pretty really. I went out for a short ski-walking yesterday, and might try again today as well. Right now, I am catching up on laundry while perusing in here. I slept in very late for me today (10:30 am); and DH had been uptown and back by then.

He had to get a replacement as one of the tapes got mangled when he put it in the VCR; they were nice about it and gave him another with no problem (they said they actually expected it as they already had a few returned; with mass production, this can happen). He loved the movie, saying it was very well made; it came out some time ago and is called GLADIATOR. Yah, we are kinda behind on seeing some movies.

I haven't had time to look at my tapes yet; maybe this weekend I'll get DH to plug everything in for me. My leg was bothering me last night, so I slept part of the time on the couch, then went to bed at 6 am and slept in. It's feeling a bit better this afternoon.

HIYA PURPLE ~ yes, our dinner at our friends place was nice and healthy too; that helps a lot when others are also health conscious as well. They both eat a lot of veggies, and fruit for desserts too; and both have struggled to keep their weight down (although they are not obese or anything like that), but like many people in their late 50's and he just turned 60, they have to watch as the weight can creep on very quickly.

Anyways, I had some leftovers for lunch and had already taken out boneless lean and seasoned pork slices out for dinner tonight, so gotta cook them up; we will have them with a mixed rice and veggies, and I will have a salad for dinner tonight. Got some extra ripe bananas too, so will be making some Choco-Banana Freeze today too.

HI TO MEOWEE and NUMPSTER and VAL too!!!

Take good care, your friend :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-02-2009 09:11 PM

My dear Aunt sent me this cute little poem in an email today; thought you might enjoy it ... but please remember that this was meant as a light-hearted joke for those of us who are not perfect yet ... and GOD BLESS!

After Christmas
================

'Twas the week after Christmas,
and all through the house
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibble,
the eggnog I'd taste
At the holiday parties
had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales
there arose such a number
When I walked to the store
less a walk, than a lumber.

I'd remember the marvelous
meals I'd prepared ...
The gravies and sauces
and beef nicely rared.

The wine and the rum balls,
the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said,
"No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself
in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again
to do battle with dirt.

I said to myself,
as only I can ...
"You can't spend a winter
disguised as a man!"

So away with the last
of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake,
every cracker and chip.

Every last bit of food
that I like must be banished
'til all the additional
ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie
-- not even a lick.
I'll have only to chew
on a long, celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits,
or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot
and quietly sigh ...

I'm hungry, I'm blue,
and food is a bore
But isn't that what
January is for?

Unable to giggle,
no longer a riot ...
Happy New Year to all
and to all a good diet!

A/U

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-03-2009 02:14 PM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ we have beautiful sunshine here, and so you guessed it: the temps have dropped down into the -20C range. How odd that is that everytime it's colder, we get sunshine; and when it's milder, we get more snow ... :lol:

Well, our dinner plans got changed a bit last night; Dh had hamburglers and I had some of that thin lean pork on a whole wheat bun (size for a hot dog). I cut up the rest and sauteed it with onions; today, I will add some more onion and sliced mushrooms and make some kind of stir-fry with mixed rice. I made up a large batch of PURPLE's Choco-Banana Freeze (love it) and will have that for dessert this week coming. For dessert tonight, I am having a raspberry and vanilla yogurt parfait.

Gee, not to busy around here lately; hope your absence means that you are all busy with life and not ailing in any way. We have just been unconnecting some of our outside decos today; and Dh cleared the porch of new-fallen snow. I am just keeping my tree up until the Epiphany (?) on January 6th when the Magi visited the baby Jesus and then will start taking down all the inside decos and the tree last.

Did my dust mopping this morning already; so I'm free for the day to do whatever I like. Not much going on here this Saturday, as it's kinda cold out there. If I feel up to it, I may try a short walk, but will have to bundle up good and use my ski poles, of course.

HI to MEOWEE, and VAL, and NUMPSTER!

Take good care ladies, your friend :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 01-04-2009 07:16 AM

Hi Fellow chicks

I am afraid yesterday was so busy that I had time for nothing leisurely like typing posts on the INTERNET. I did a walk with my DH he dropped me off at a café and he continued to walk as it is to far for me. I drank a coffee :coffee: and had my head in a book:book2: . From there we walked back home and straight in and made wholemeal toast and jam with a banana for after. Then straight out the house and off to the wholesalers to buy some of their bargains of the week. From there went to a catalogue shop where you browse the catalogue order your goods and then wait for them to be brought down from the warehouse. I bought an electric under blanket due to really feeling the cold now to the point of it hurting me. Needless to say this was all exercise walking around these shops. My legs were dropping off. We arrived back home in time for a swift coffee :coffee2: and then started to get ready to go to friends. Arrived about about 11.30pm and it was straight off to bed for me.

The meal was wonderful that my host had cooked. Leek and potato soup (no cream or hidden nasties). Then we had new potatoes, green beans, Brussels, carrots with beef stroggonoff (made with skimmed milk lots of mushrooms, peppers and onions :T ) Then rounded off we had fresh fruit salad with fat free yoghurt. All I could say is the food was wonderful and she is a great cook. The only pity was I have a raging sore throat and a snuffly nose. On waking that morning. Though this morning my throat is a lot better but still got the sniffles and my chests feels tight. I think I might be going down with a dreaded cold that is going around. I am not surprised if I caught it as I have been exposed to several people with the bug (SIL, BIL,sister and numerous friends).

ROSEBUD ~ Love the poem about the overindulgence of food that we are all prone to at Christmas and it's effects.

Yes my Christmas decorations have got to come down also on or by the 6th January. Not so many up this year as my tree would not fit due to the new sofa. If I had put it up some one would have had branches sticking in their back (namely me I tend to sit there as it is the closes spot to the kitchen when you have guests.)

I have the service people coming round tomorrow to look at the washing machine so :crossed: that it gets fixed else I will have to do some hand washing of the little items. Then give the rest to my mum to wash for me which I hate to do as she has enough to do without my washing. So that is why I want to make it as little as possible if I am going to let her do some.

Has you say it has been very quiet here on the board hopefully as people get settled down after the festivities we will return to normal. I know that Val has been with her parents over the holiday period.

Yes that was a good film gladiator we have the film on DVD I think (:lol: we have a fair few we have collected over the years. ). I watched a drama on television the other day and it was based on a true story. It was of a 28 year old whom still lived with her parents had no friends. Dressed very old fashioned. She had a job collected money from car parks. Here father had remarried after a few years as his first wife died when the lady in question was about 11. His second marriage was to a domineering woman. One thing that she did have a love for was Elvis Presley. Here work colleagues in general were not very nice especially 3 girls whom where particularly nasty to her for no reason.

Eventually she had enough and she just snapped and started taking sums of money from the car parks takings. Small amounts at first but gradually she took bigger and bigger amounts. Till in the end she had stolen the grand total of over £200.000 (which equates to $351.000 CAD). She bought a couple of small things for her Dad like a pair of new glasses as his old ones where broken. His wife did not want to spend the money on a new pair. The bulk of the money was spent on Elvis Presley memorabilia. Though inevitably she was found out when an internal audit came about. It was a pleasant drama with Elvis music weaved in through out to reflect different issues. It was very cleverly done a bit like Mamma Mia but without the singing from the stars of the show it was Elvis himself.

No more news :gossip: for now so over and out as they say. Take care all and see you all again soon.

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-04-2009 07:36 PM

HI LADIES ~ We woke up to -18C, but the temps came up by noon and the snow came with it; it was quite heavy there for awhile. We just stayed home and kept warm and cozy. I used this time to play around on my PC; and worked on my writing which I love to do.

THANKS PURPLE ~ glad you liked the poem; I thought it was so true and kinda funny too. I can sure see myself in that poem for sure, but each year I get much better. It's good to laugh at ourselves and our foibles now and then. That sounds nice that you have a little cafe not too far from your home. I am looking forward to the day that I can walk that far again; right now, I am just trying to make it to the corners and back. I can walk much better in the summer and can't wait for that time again. I know you get a lot of rain, but you have better weather than us for walking.

I'm glad you had a nice dinner and time with your friends; your dinner sounds really nice. Sorry that you picked up a cold; we have too. But a little cold is better than an all-out flu; I'll take it over that anyday. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Interesting true story about that lady; did she have to go to jail? Was that in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? She was wrong for doing that but probably also a very sick and sad lady from being so abused by her family and others (maybe an underlying illness there too). Maybe they could have sold off all that Elvis memorabilia and recovered some of the money to pay it back for her.

ANYHOW, not much going here right now; just having a quiet, relaxing weekend. Take good care ladies, your friend :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 01-05-2009 01:38 PM

Hi all

I feel a lot better than I did yesterday when the phrase "death warmed up" comes to mind. It is surprising what a good nights sleep and rest does for you. Nature does have a way of healing you, nice when you do not take to take pills and potions. Not that I don't realise that they are great as well. It is a wonder I don't rattle ;) if you shake me. If it was not for them I would not function at the level I do and have the quality of life. So I am eternally grateful for them. The next step if pills and potions do not work is brain surgery :eek and that sounds scary stuff to me not to mention the risks that would be involved.

The washing machine has been fixed today which I am very grateful for. The pump was blocked with one of our pooches "poopy bags" :o . DH has a habit of keeping them in the back pocket of his trousers/jeans. just in case Rizzie decides to perform ;) I must have missed it when searching through his pockets prior to doing the laundry. This must have been a long time ago as it was a red "poopy bag" and we have not used that brand in simply ages we found a much more cheaper brand which were black. The guy whom fixed it said it could have been the case it is just that the lint that comes naturally off washing goes into the pump and it has just backed up until it became completely block. He very kindly did not charge us even though he could as it was a bag that had blocked it rather than lint. He just put down that it was a blockage and it will come under our insurance.

ROSEBUD The lady in question from the drama did go to jail for stealing the money and it was hundred of thousand of dollars. Like you said the money could be recouped back and they thought the company would actually make a profit. This was because Elvis memorabilia is very popular all over the world. She had purchased a glove and a male friend (who so wanted to be her boyfriend but she was so tied up in her own little world that she did not see the signs) bought her the other glove. He did not know about her addiction of the thrill the auction gave her. t was fluke that he bought the glove that matched the other one. I agree with you that she had issues I think maybe that they stemmed from her mother dying when she was young. She was afraid to form friendships in case she would be hurt again. Though this made her lonely and isolated with no one in her life. The situation at home only compounded to her problems.

The drama ended as she was in prison , the male friend visiting her and she eventually twigging that he wants to be her boyfriend. She was only making the first attempts to make friends at the prison with fellow inmates. The memorabilia was being catalogue to be sold at auction each piece separately as it would raise more that way.

I feel much better today, though still not really hungry as it has taken my appetite. I am making an effort to eat regularly mainly for my tablets sake. I really do not know if I will be well enough for the tank tomorrow but :crossed that I am well enough. Like you I would have a cold any day rather than the flu. A cold makes you feel very much under the weather where as the flu wipes you out completely.
Try as I might I could not finish my book last night only about half a dozen pages to read now so I think I will manage it tonight ;) The back drop to the book was a 1930’s big department store. It was very grand and the elite ladies would come shopping here to get their exclusive clothes.
The restaurant was beautiful with huge chandeliers suspended from the ceiling. One couple in the book when there for a meal between themselves as the cost was extravagant to them. Though they though this occasion warranted it. They had married in secrecy as people thought they were already married as they had a child and wore when rings when they moved to the area. It has been a wonderful book not peppered with bad language. There has been only one word and that was to a man who was going to marry his daughter but had got another women pregnant. He was so angry has he knew it was going to break his daughters heart whom he loved so dearly. I am going to be sorry to finish it in a way they kind of become well known friends so finishing it is like saying goodbye forever :(

Looks like it is me and thee at the minute. Everyone else must be busy or unwell. I really hope it is not the later I hate to think of people unwell. So we with keep paddle on till we catch up on their news and what they have been doing for the Christmas festivities.

So glad my washing machine is fixed do not realise how much we rely on them in this modern day and age. Gosh I can remember helping my granny with the dolly tub in the outhouse. Then mangling the water out over the sink gosh now that was hard work. I also made butter for her turning the churn by hand to make it. Then using the butter pat to shape it into a block for the table. No fancy mode cons in her home. It was a two up and two down. No inside toilet ( that was a crude affair in a tin shack) :eek I shudder at the thought now. No bath that was tin bath in front of the fire in the lounge. Gosh yet I loved it there no television I played out in the fields when I didn't have my chores. I often stopped with them up until the age of 12 then my granddad died and she moved to be nearer both of her daughters.

I saw that you posted you like to write? what sort of writing do you do. I have toyed with the idea of writing about my time at the old victorian hospital I did my training at and the characters I nursed. You do not get clients like that today as these folk had often been in years and were very institutionalized. Many being put in hospital when in actual fact there was nothing psychiatrically wrong with them it was maybe physical like deafness, epilepsy or pregnant outside marriage. I have many a tale to tell.

All the news ,:blah: and :gossip: Thanks for :listen: hope to drop by tomorrow but a busy schedule on Tuesday and Wednesday so :crossed: a few spare minutes magically appear ;) Take care till next time

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-05-2009 09:51 PM

:wave: HI PURPLE ~ yes, you are right; I do recall now that VAL said that she is spending the holidays with her parents. I wonder if she is back yet? :dunno:

I sure hope MEOWEE is OK out there in Nova Scotia; I haven't seen her around the boards. I know that she hurt her back just before Christmas, and I hope that she is feeling better. I know that my BIL said they were having lots of ice and stuff down south over the last week; and others have said that there were lots of storms heading east. She does live in what is called a winter storm belt in this country.

I stayed home today; while DH went up town to check the mail, and sure enuff brought me a couple of utility bills. I have them ready to send out tomorrow along with a letter to a family member as well. I had lots of laundry to do today too, as I change our bedding yesterday. I didn't do much over the holidays on purpose; had enuff other stuff to do anyways.

Thankfully, we have lots of linen and clothes to last us some time. Now you have your washing machine repaired, you will be busy over the next week catching up too. That was so nice that the guy didn't charge you for that repair; things like that happen. My DH is notorious for leaving KLEENEX TISSUES in his pockets; I have to be really diligent in checking as then you end up with tattered tissues all over everything. :(

DH spent an hour tonight trying to level our washing machine as the floors here slant this way and that way quite a bit. When we viewed the place, DH said to the landlady, 'Gee, I feel like I'm going downhill' and we all started laughing and I told him to be quiet; but now that we are in here, I see what he meant. Our washer starts travelling all over the place when it's on the spin cycle; so we'll see if his handywork has helped any, the next time I do a wash.

When you mention reading your books, that makes me want to get into my boxes and get out some books. Think I'll rook DH into sorting some more boxes out for me tomorrow, becuz I have about six or more books that I bought last year and haven't gotten around to reading yet. I figured I would get at them this winter, but right now, I have to find them first. :lol:

Well, we had a nice turkey dinner: picked up some turkey legs and baked them with new potato each and lots of veggies; plus I baked up a few apples while I was at it. I love baked apples and I just sprinkled a very light oatmeal cripsy mix over top and it was really nice.

HI TO ALL OUR MIA's out there ... hope you are all well!!! Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug: