Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ October's Thread

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

HAPPY OCTOBER EVERYONE

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-01-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: error in title
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #2  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we were so busy and elated about finding a place to live last night that I completely forgot to start the new October thread. Ignore that number thing that came up when I click on the title box. I know that you like the monthly thread so you don't have to go back through too many posts if you get behind.

THANKS MEOWEE ~ for the reminder that it is the first day of October today. We have had so much on our minds lately with having to move and health issues and company; my mind is in too many places at once ... lol!

HEY PURPLE ~ glad you were able to come in to post after your trip to London. Sorry that you had a bad fall; I sure hope that your shoulder and hip are feeling better soon. Will be sending up some prayers for that, for sure!

Thanks for your encouragement about a home; we sure had slim pickins' here right now. I think the stress was that so many places fell through and then some didn't bother to call us back: it was a bit frustrating for us. ANYWAYS, we are grateful that we have found a cute, little place before the snow flies.

We are taking the smaller house; it has only one bedroom and a very small utility/pantry closet off the kitchen, but it does have a basement and a small shed for DH to use; and to store all the stuff we can't fit in the house ~ LOL!

Speaking of birthdays, I am turning the big "50" this month; almost can't believe that I'm leaving the forties now. Oprah once said that her fifties were her favorite years so far. I sure hope it's the same for me; but so far, so good ... with us getting a new place to live.

HIYA VAL ~ hope you are having a great week!

HI CAFFEINE IV ~ haven't seen you for awhile; hope you are feeling well this week.

Hope you all have a great evening, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-01-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #3  
Rosebud

Hi MEOWEE ~ just a reminder that we would appreciate it if you could put this new thread up as a red sticky for us. Thanks, we appreciate your help a lot ...

Rosebud
Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi ladies

It seems a much nicer day out side today with sun though you do need to wrap up warm. I had just popped outside and though I will be OK but I sure felt it and was glad to get back indoors.

ROSEBUD :~ Yes much to think about when moving home and if you are like me there is inevitably something you forget to do. Though I am fairly well organised and so things went pretty smoothly.

Great that you have a new home and if it is not to both of your liking you can always now look round at a more leisurely pace as you have a roof over your head. Shame all your belonging will not fit in to your new place but thankfully you now have a place to call home.

When I moved from the 3 bedroomed Victorian house I had to downsize to go in this bungalow. This has 2 bedrooms and 1 less reception room downstairs oh and yes no cellar (basement) . It was hard at first knowing what to keep and what to say goodbye to but we eventually did it. The only thing I really miss is a formal dinning room we only have a lounge and a kitchen. Neither of which are big enough to put a dinning table up not even a small one. Though overall I was so pleased to be on one floor and no more stairs to fall down. I felt independent for the first time in months, instead of relying on DH to help me down the stairs or to take the washing down the stairs or back up for that matter. Now I can do all of that on a good day. All those little things to me meant the world as I have always been fiercely independent.

My DH sister has just had her 50th birthday this weekend and she went away to the caravan she has with friends. We are suppose to be having a family meal but trying to get us all in one place at one time is proving difficult.

Time to go and brush my hair ready to go out. Only been out so far in the back garden. So till next time bye bye purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-02-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Still overcast and cool around here . . . but it could be worse. Off to do the weekly mall-crawl this afternoon since we missed last week because of my silly cold.

I've been doing a little bunch of cross-stitch fridge magnets this past week and just realized that I'd better get back to working on those aprons. Told you I'd somehow manage to put it off -- but Christmas is getting closer.

See you all later . . .
Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 AM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Hi chickadee

It appears another lovely day outside but I know there is a definate good nip in the air so will have to wrap up warm.

Last night went to play cards the first time this week as due to delivery we have not managed to go. Did no good at the cards but did win a raffle a bottle of washing up liquid. (no so many households here have dishwashers though more are now) good for us as we do not have a dishwasher and will not have room in our small kitchen oh well cest la vie .

MEOWEE You seem very gifted with your ability to do handicrafts. Some people just have the touch and get enjoyment from doing it as well. I can embroider, crochet and do simple knitting patterns. Though me and sewing machines do not mix it is a recipe for disaster

The grocery shops are inevitable it is the dint they make in our pockets that is the trouble. Everything just keeps going up not much ever goes down!

Sorry but this has had to be a flying visit as I am very shortly going to my parents and I am not ready. Says she still sat in her night clothes and dressing gown. So got to get my skates on and get myself in gear. Will have a walk this afternoon into town to go and get some cheap flaxseed at my parents healthfood shop. Then do a bit of window shopping it is nice there as they do not have a shopping centre as such so lots of smaller shops not all the big brand high street names. Bye and see you soon purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-03-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

Great shopping trip yesterday . . . great lunch too, but have to own up to the carrot cake and too many garlic breadsticks.

Today will definitely be better -- it may include more shopping but it will NOT include any carrot cake or breadsticks. Actually things are going well since I've already had my good OP lunch and the sun is actually shining out there too.

But, just like PurpleOrc mentioned, there is a definite nip in the air.

Last edited by meowee; 10-03-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #8  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Suppose to rain today and so by the looks of the clouds the forecasters seem to have got it right. I think I will have a little dog here will will need more than a gentle persuasion when it comes to going for a walk in a bit He has anything associated with water and that includes rain

Went to play cards last night DH won 1st but had to share it. This drive was money so the first and second prize money was shared between them. I won a raffle of $4 ( i think that is roughly the amount in dollars.) So we did well over all.

We are having chicken casserole today for lunch with lots of vegetables, I have the casserole on at the minute and boy does it smell lovely. It is a big casserole so there will be enough for the next day as well. Chicken was on offer so we have got a cheap meal all in all.

I feel a bit snuffly (if that is an English word ) hope I am not having a cold. My face has been hurting not sure if that is a sign of a cold or the real change in temperature which has triggered that. I hope it is the latter as it as been so long since I had a cold. Not that I am complaining about that

MEOWEE Like you I go off the rails once in a while we are not angels I had a chocolate bar last week and I did not have no excuse like TOM to hide behind Though I kind of figure one going of the rail can be righted with a few days of being on plan and being very good in the food department.

I went shopping yesterday and I was a lucky bunny as DH bought me a necklace lovely round disc with pink and purple stone in it on a silver chain. Managed to pick up some flaxseed and goji berry mix to put on my cereal in the morning. Then some dried apricots which I like as a snack but do have to ration myself otherwise I can go overboard .

Mum bought a lovely navy cardigan with gold buttons down it looks rather smart. We then stopped for a coffee at the shop for me to get my second wind and take some painkillers.

Right time for me to do some work in the kitchen, like make some flaxseed cakes and put vegetables on for lunch. So it needs to be action stations in there. Before I go hello to VAL, ROSEBUD and CAFFIENEIV So till next time take care everyone purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-08-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #9  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

And it is another gloriously sunny one around here . . . . . . must get out and play -- it probably won't be long before you have to listen to me complaining about the snow, so I'd best enjoy this while I can.

Happy to say I ate clean yesterday and have my that I'll make it two in a row today.

Hope everybody has a good Saturday -- rain or shine -- keep things moving and shaking, gang . . .
Old 10-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #10  
MSer living healthy

Hello fellow chicks

It has been raining since yesterday around tea time and I don't think it has stopped yet. Oh well looks like we will have a walk in the rain today if it does not clear up anytime soon.

I have some baking to do in a little while and I need to go and shower. At the moment I have some oil in my hair which I put in as it was feeling dry at the ends. Just now mustering up the energy to go and get things started. Know it will be fine once I get cracking it is the get cracking that I have trouble with. Morning particularly are slow for me and I have very little get up and go. Showers make me feel worse as it brings on symptoms from my MS like pins and needles and fatigue.

MEOWEE Glad your having a little bit of nice whether. The thought of snow makes me shiver I am so lucky that we do not get snow. When I say we don't get snow it is very light dusting if we do unless if you live in parts of the highlands of Scotland and on some of the remote parts of Northern England. Even then their snow fall is nothing like the snow you have.

Good for you eating on plan I am sure that will make up for your faux pas on the garlic sticks and carrot cake. Yesterday we went to the farmers market and we had an ostrich burger which is low in fat but I find them filling now so my eyes were bigger than my belly We go there once a month as that is when they come and get our burgers and ones to bake at home. There are so many nice things at the farmers market I do not know what to buy as we all have a budget. So I have to be ruthless with myself otherwise I would over spend dramatically

Time to do the baking etc so bye for now.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #11  
Onward and Downward

I so having you round this thread PURPLEORC. This is pretty much the only regular thread I post in where I'm not always the first one to sign in everyday.

It's sunny and coolish again today but I hve no great plans for my day so far. Just have to see what develops.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #12  
MSer living healthy

Hi fellow chickadees.

Just returned from Huddersfield which is a city in Yorkshire not a super long trip only about 68miles one way. Went to pick up a piece of machinery which had been repaired for BIL. Great journey so no complaints on that front apart from the getting up early when I say early that is 7,30am I am not an early bird so was a big struggle. I have to be up the same time tomorrow to go for my treatment at the MS centre so I will be more like a snail tomorrow till I get kick started

MEOWEE Thanks for your lovely post but I have at least a 5 hours head start on yourself with living in the UK so 9 times out of 10 I am able to come on here before yourself. The time difference maybe even more if you have changed your clocks for daylight saving ( I think that is what you know it by) here it is called "end of British summer time". If the clocks are put forward then it is known as " beginning of British summer time) Our clocks are put back 1 hour on 26th October this year and forward one hour for summer time.

hello to ROSEBUD, VALDINE & CAFFIENEIV. I know that you are all busy at the minute or away on holiday but I thought I would say a quick hello and hope that you are all well.

Must go and answer my mail, put the kettle on but not in that order I hasten to add a girls got to get her priorities right I a have a fair amount of mail to answer as I have not done it for a few days so it has built up. I have been good this weekend and managed all my chores with my DH help so up to date on that front Bye for now and take care purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-07-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Hi everybody . . .

Oh wow -- don't get me started on Daylight Savings Time -- I hate time changes because it seems to take me at least a week to get used to them. We call the non-DST period "Standard Time" for some totally stupid reason. Stupid because DST is at least two months longer and, to me, it should be considered the standard.

Speaking of time, though -- -- this just seems to be one of those days when it moves at about twice the normal speed no matter what you call it. It's 2 pm already and I have no idea what I've got to show for the day so far.

Other than that -- nothing exciting -- and it is another beautiful sunny day.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #14  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ I'm FINALLY BACK!!! I wish I was on holidays, but I wasn't; and I didn't realize that I hadn't even come in here all week. I didn't even get in here to read anything, so it will take me a few days to catch up.

No, we had some unexpected stuff that we had to do that has had me busy from morning til night; and last night, I was up to 2 am determined to get it finished. I had mentioned it in passing but didn't go into too much detail. Too complicated, paper stuff, and a favor for a family member; involving a lot of research, typing, and editing. I finally finished it all today, and boy, what a relief it is. DH says that now maybe we can get some sleep again.

And on top of that, things fell apart for that house we had found. We had some more questions that needed to be answered; so I called for more details and we didn't get the responses we had hoped for. By Friday, I decided to go searching and find out what we would be in for and we finally realized that the place would just be too expensive thanks to some people who knew someone who lived there before. So it's a NO-GO; and I'm glad, becuz I don't want to have to move out again and be financially strapped or should I say, trapped ~ LOL!

THANKS PURPLE ~ for keeping up this thread for us; I knew that you would realize that something had happened or we were away. In this case, we were indisposed on two fronts. We have been out searching for places to live, so our week has been very busy. Once again, we've had trouble reaching people for some reason. This weekend, we are supposed to go see another house; but after that last experience, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

THANKS TO YOU TOO, MEOWEE ~ for putting this thread up as a red sticky for us; and for keeping it going along with our PURPLE. DH made us a nice bonfire tonight to burn some old wood; and I just love that on a cool, bugless, October night.

I'm sure that VALDINE is very busy with her new job; I bet she is hopping and skipping on her toes, while she trying to learn her new position. We truly wish you well, VAL!

HI CAFFEINE ~ hope you are doing well and that your seizures and headaches aren't too bad for you lately.

Well, it's late and tomorrow, I will have more time to come in and read more. Take care, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-06-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #15  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

This is going have to be a quick post today as it is my day for my treatment and I am coming to post just before I go there. So excuse any mistakes but I don't function none to well at 7.30am

MEOWEE I know what you mean that some days just fly by and some how you have nothing to show for the day I have a habit of starting one job then thinking about another so starting that one but not finishing the first. Before I know where I am I have 4 or 5 jobs on the go which is too much for me to do. I have done this more times than I care to remember and I sometimes end up in tears just through sheer frustration at myself

I must admit I like the winter months but that is for selfish reasons as I feel much better in the winter as the days are cooler. Though i know for many others that is just not the case and summer is much better for them as they are in less pain.

ROSEBUD So sorry that the house has fallen through and you are back to searching again. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise if was going to leave you financially trapped for money. I hope and pray that you find somewhere soon.

Gosh you have been a busy bunny staying up till the wee hours of the morning doing a favour for a family member. I have done that before now for my niece before she has access to a PC and did all the research on William Shakespeare then printed it off and odd bits I typed and made a synopsis of it. So I know how much work it can be, it did not seem to be too bad at first and it just snowballs and gets bigger. I knew that she would have to go into some depth as she is at a very academic school which you much pass an exam for when you are 11. It isn't a private school but government run one but it takes the cream of children who are educationally bright. My mum went to that school but needless to say I didn't I am absolutely useless at mathematics and really struggle and it baffles me

I know that peoples lives are sometimes busy and of course things take precedence to this as they should. You all did the same for me when Dad was in hospital so think nothing of it.

Time for me to stop rattling on and go and get ready otherwise I will be going in my nightie Take care till next time purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-07-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Closed Thread