Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #1  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Steriods... Its how I got this way.

When I was 11 years old, I was overweight. I was 150 pounds and I was 5'3". I was picked on at school and called "Fatalie Natalie". Cruel.

I came down with double pneumonia around January of 1999 and the doctors just thought it was asthma because I would choke on the phlegm I coughed up, and they thought it was a asthma attack. With that wonderful mis-diagnosis they put me on Nasonex, Claratin and sent me home with a hefty prescription of Predisone. It turns out, the predisone they put me on was about 3x the normal dosage for a 300 pound man. I still continued to take it, unknowing that was how much they were giving me, and I got home schooling, and when I wasn't being homeschooled, I sat in a chair. All Day. Because moving made me cough, and coughing made me choke on my phlegm (actual choking, need highmleck maneuver) and it terrified me. So, while I was on prednisone for 4 months, out of school and hacking up phlegm, I gained weight VERY fast. I put on about 100 pounds in that 4 month period. Once they finally determined I was on the wrong dosage of prednisone, it was already too late and the damage was done. I was 250 pounds, and hurting.

Fast forward to today, 9 years later, and another 30 pounds heavier. I am finding it very hard to lose the weight, even with a strict diet and exercize. I do have more muscle than fat, which is a good thing, because even though I'm 280 and 5'7, I fit perfectly into a size 20 jeans. I guess thats the only blessing the prednisone caused.

What can I do to try to work past this? Does anyone have a similar situation? It isn't my fault that I gained 100 pounds in 4 months, it isnt. People say that the only reason someone is fat is because they ate and didnt keep up with a healthy life style. I beg to differ.
Naytally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #2  

Prednisone is not the same kind of steroid as weight lifters and athletes use and it will not cause you to build muscle. It can cause you to gain weight. I have been on and off Prednisone for severe asthma for several years and can count on a 5 pound gain with every burst is I don't really watch it. It sounds like you've been off it quite awhile so you should be able to lose weight. If you cut your calories too far, it will cause your body to go into starvation mode and it will hold onto every pound.

Could you post a menu for a day so we could see better how we could help you?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #3  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Could you post a menu for a day so we could see better how we could help you?
7:45 AM : Protein Shake (320 Calories, 8g Fat, 32g Carbs, 8g Fiber, 36g Protein)

10:30 AM : Fiber One Bar (140 Calories, 4g Fat, 29g Carbs, 9g Fiber, 2g Protein)

12:30 PM : Grilled Turkey Breast Sandwitch (220 Calories, 5g Fat, 21g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 20g Protein) & soup (roughly 200 calories)

3:00 PM : Fiber One Bar (see above)

6:30 PM : Grilled Chicken Salad - Romaine Lettuce, 2x Perdue Perfect Portions, 1/4 cup lite tomato basil Feta cheese, 1/2 tomato & 2tbsp fat free ranch dressing - 300 calories, 4g Fat, ?? carbs, 4g Fiber, 48g Protein)

8:00 PM : Butter Pecan Ice Cream Bar - 100 Calories, 7g fat, ??? carbs, no fiber, ?? protein

Total for day: around 1500 - 1800 calories depending on what I feel hungry for that day. I try to keep my protein & fiber high, not so much worrying about carbs, and I keep fats to a minimum. If I can find a fat free version of something, I grab it.

The problem with the prednisone was that it was 3x the amount a 300lb man should take... so it was roughly 8x the ammount I should have been taking. And that I was on it for 4 months and sitting in a chair the entire time with no exercize because anything I did caused me to choke, litterally. I was unaware that it did not cause muscle gain, but I do have an abnormal amount of muscle... *shrugs* maybe that is just good genetics or something.
Naytally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/299/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Naytally,

I started gaining weight from being on Prednisone too when I was like 5. Since then I've had to be on it several times for either Asthma or more recently Rheumatoid Arthritis. I can say that every time I had to be on it, I definitely gained at least 20 pounds. I don't think it should effect your future dieting though. Once you're off it, there's no further impact on your weight, even if you were taking an excessive amount of it. I would look into other reasons you may be having difficulty losing weight. You're diet looks really good, so maybe there's another factor?
kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #5  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Naytally,

I too was mis-diagnosed - with flu at age 13 – but it was pneumonia. They didn’t have steroids then but – long story short – later couldn’t figure out why I didn’t die and said *sorry* but I would be weak all my life. I coughed up stuff until I bruised ribs – for years.

I was put on steroids for something else (that didn’t work) at age 30 and gained 60+ pounds in 2 months with more later. I’m now 58.

Yet, I have had some really good years weight-wise and now know *how* to do it.

I understand, believe me.

I also understand that you can look good at 5’7" in a size 20. I am now 5’8" and about 280, but a size 22.

I’ve learned to build habits slowly and that I can lose. Make sure you stick with some good support friends – without that we always fall back. And pushing too hard (or losing fast) makes me gain back more on the rebound.

Congrats on your marriage! Glad you are here!
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

I don't know what to help you with as far as the weight, but I would STRONGLY suggest you be taking tons of calcium and get your bone density checked.

My aunt who died many years ago had severe asthma and was on steroids for a long time. She ended up with osteoporosis so bad that we actually had to be careful hugging her for fear of breaking her. If she stepped a little too hard going down the stairs she'd break her foot. I don't remember her ever NOT having a hump from all the micro fractures in her spine. She broke her foot stepping on the brake of her car once and had to stop driving.
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #7  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naytally View Post
7:45 AM : Protein Shake (320 Calories, 8g Fat, 32g Carbs, 8g Fiber, 36g Protein)

10:30 AM : Fiber One Bar (140 Calories, 4g Fat, 29g Carbs, 9g Fiber, 2g Protein)

12:30 PM : Grilled Turkey Breast Sandwitch (220 Calories, 5g Fat, 21g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 20g Protein) & soup (roughly 200 calories)

3:00 PM : Fiber One Bar (see above)

6:30 PM : Grilled Chicken Salad - Romaine Lettuce, 2x Perdue Perfect Portions, 1/4 cup lite tomato basil Feta cheese, 1/2 tomato & 2tbsp fat free ranch dressing - 300 calories, 4g Fat, ?? carbs, 4g Fiber, 48g Protein)

8:00 PM : Butter Pecan Ice Cream Bar - 100 Calories, 7g fat, ??? carbs, no fiber, ?? protein

Total for day: around 1500 - 1800 calories depending on what I feel hungry for that day. I try to keep my protein & fiber high, not so much worrying about carbs, and I keep fats to a minimum. If I can find a fat free version of something, I grab it.
Natalie - I didn't see where anyone had given you any feedback about your menu which you went through the trouble to detail. I'm seeing almost no vegetables and a lot of processed foods. While you're staying in a good calorie range, I think you can get a lot more benefit from your food - and even a sense of more to eat -- with more vegetables and fewer processed foods.

I don't know if you're making the protein shake yourself with "real food" ingredients or if this is some kind of powdered mix. One meal like this is ok, but I'd recommend replacing at least three of the protein shake, and two Fiber One Bars and ice cream serving with real food.

You can make a shake with low fat milk, low fat cottage cheese or yogurt and fresh (or canned or frozen) fruit.
Instead of bars - how about raw vegetables, hummus, peanut butter or a small quantity of nuts, or a small serving of low fat cheese or fruit (fresh, canned or frozen)

For lunch how about soup OR salad and a small side salad, finger salad (cut up vegetables without the lettuce) or a large portion of cooked vegetables - or lots of veggies added to your sandwich or soup. Besides lettuce and tomato, you can add cucumbers, sprouts, raw spinach, onions, radishes, grated carrots, peppers, etc. to a sandwich. Augment canned soup with leftover veggies from last night's dinner.

You can put lots more veggies in your dinner salad. Instead of the perdue chicken portions, you can grill up a lot of boneless skinless chicken breasts on the weekend, slice them up, portion them out, and freeze what you're not going to use in the next few days. Then every day, take a package out of the freezer for that day's salad. Marinate the chicken in balsamic vinegar to give it some flavor without much in the way of added calories. You can bake, grill, broil or put them on your "George Foreman" grill.

Sorry you're having to deal with this problem. It takes a little prep time to have the veggies on hand and cut up and prepare the chicken ahead of time. I think you'll find the upgrade in flavor,choices and food interest to be worth it. If it seems like too much to do, trying making a small change. Switch out one Fiber One bar for fresh veggies for a week or so.

Best wishes for success in your journey.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For the past 20 years or so, I've been on prednisone on and off for back pain problems (I herniated a disc and have a mild genetic disc deformity), respiratory issues and for an autoimmune disease. I've been completely prednisone for over a year, and I lose much more slowly than I did before I was ever prescribed prednisone. Whether prednisone can have a permanent effect on metabolism I can't say, though two of my doctors over the years have said "yes," one said "no," and several said "maybe."

There are ways to boost metabolism though. One is exercise, one may be reducing carbs (especially sugars and starchy grains, but eating lots and lots of low starch vegetables and some fruits.) South Beach is often suggested.

I think you probably want your doctors opinions on what diets may be best for you, or see if you can see a dietitian.

But, in a nutshell, there is no quick or easy fix. You may always lose at a very slow rate.

Another possibility you have to consider is that a daily menu may not reveal the big picture. Some people eat very little on a daily basis, but binge periodically. In high school, I went through a period where I ate less than 500 calories each day (stupid, yes) and ate more freely on the weekend. I also would binge terribly right before and during my period - super binges, so my daily calories was not as important as an average of my monthly calories.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-16-2008 at 07:57 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6

I was on prednisone for 6 months almost 3 years ago because I was getting over mono and had extremely swollen tonsils. I managed to gain close to 40 pounds in that time frame, and it would have been more if I wasn't working out (track team). I was always hungry and ate double of what I would normally eat. When I came home from college my parents kept pressuring me to lose weight, and you know how it is when people taunt you, it just makes you eat more. 3 months ago I committed to the lifestyle change and am now dropping the weight, slowly but surely.
sammi861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #10  
From Victim, too Fighter

S/C/G: 238/238/160

Height: 5'7

I am a new here too thise site, so I am behind with replying, but saw this thread, and wanted too say.. IU could not agree with you more.. I was on LOW DOSE cortef ( steroid ) for adrenals, and in less then a yr I put on 40 pounds and I swear too you and everyone under the sun I have no idea how it happened.. I never ate anymore then I ever did In my life..It just sort of packed on. I hate it, and am now finally fighting too get it off... I feel so bad for you, and can relate too you 100%...I know what you must bee feeling and going through
MCKMNL is offline   Reply With Quote