Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ August 2008

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

HAPPY AUGUST EVERYONE

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-31-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

. . . and now . . . I'll Stick this one . . . see you tomorrow everybody . . .
Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #3  
Rosebud

THANKS, MEOWEE ... that was pretty quick work there ... LOL! Have a great evening!!!

ROSEBUD
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies and good evening

Well August all ready where do those months go to. Just over another month and I will be on my holidays in Shropshire very near the welsh border. Today I google earthed it and tried to find it. I think I have found a picture of the reception to the the place which is a large Victorian house painted in white. The surrounding areas are all very rural and plenty of green fields so such be very peaceful. The holiday is actual in the brochure under the section of peace and quiet. I go away on the 6th of September which is a Saturday and come back the following Saturday.

Today is that dreaded TOM and this is a humdinger with me craving everything and anything providing it is sweet I have kept them all low calorie and fruit based to minimise the damage. On the plus size I have done a long walk today which my feet are now "singing" about So it is a evening with feet up and relaxing. Tomorrow off to the farmers market which is about a mile away. It is not very big but I pick up my ostrich burgers from there. They are good as they are low in fat so a good one for us on healthy eating.

VALDINE Nice to hear from you. I woke up to the news of the unfortunate incident of the murder on the bus. I know it makes you think twice about going by the cheaper option. Though in perspective think how many buses run during this night time period and how many such incidents have occurred. I know it is frightening in this world today with such violence and I do not mean to belittle the incident as it was extremely violent to the degree that murder was committed. No matter how one travels and what one does in this world today the risk is always there but that risk is a small one. The ones we can do something about are not walking alone especially at night as they increase the risk of something bad happening. my psychiatric spiel of rationalising thing has just come out I do not realise sometimes how much I still use it in every day things for myself and to others. I really try hard not too unless asked but it some how creeps out at times

The chocolate and banana desert that I freeze I put into small yogurt pots that I have had previously and wash out then reuse. I take the chocolate and banana pots out and let them thaw for about 15 to 20 minutes. They are just about right to eat then.

Yes like you I now hate being out of my routine of healthy eating I did not think I would ever be saying that. I hated the time when my relapse prevented me from exercising as I liked. I still am not back to full steam but I am slow progressing. I feel better to be doing some rather than none at all. Yesterday I made a big pan of carrot and coriander soup. I know it is not the weather for soup as most see it as a winter staple. I am a big fan of home made soup plus I had a lot of carrots so though I would use them up. I have throughly enjoyed it today and yesterday.

Wow excellent idea about submitting an application for the 2010 Olympic games I have worked out that is the winter games. I would have loved to do the 2012 games in London but the distance is way to far from home no friends down there either to ask to sleep over during this time. I know it will be an once in a life time experience to do something like that. I have managed to go to the commonwealth games in Manchester for a day as a spectator oh it was wonderful. I would love to go to the London games if the tickets are not too pricey.

ROSEBUD Hope you managed to rest your feet after your busy day yesterday and are feeling much better today.

Excellent bargain at the nursery and it is a good thing to remember next season to try end of season for those all import end of seasons sales. Anything you can get for a bargain is to be snapped up with things being so expensive. Unfortunate fuel stays so high so everything is passed on to the consumer via the price ticket.

As you saw I told Valdine that I had made big pan of soup with my glut of carrots. Never made this soup before but looked on the Internet for a healthy version of it nothing with 1/2 pint of cream etc So all this was vegetable or chicken stock, I put a good pound to pound and half of carrots in and five small potatoes. A good portion of coriander, a little mild chili ( testing my tummy ) and seasoning to taste. I blended it all down with my hand blender when cooked. It is now nice and thick. I do not tend to measure much when making soups or casseroles I tend to do it by eye as like yourself I have been cooking since I was a teenager so it comes second nature.

MEOWEE
I hope the fruit flies are more under control now. Fortunately we do not get many of those only if fruit goes exceptionally ripe and hot day. Then that it a time to entice the little blighter's other wise we are OK. Though with me around fruit does not say very long around as I eat it like it is going out of fashion. I have to sometimes curb myself otherwise you can guess what I do to myself through my greed

Time to go and put my poor feet up on the poufee (? spelling) . Bye ladies till next time
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #5  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Just finished cooking the dinner of pork burgers and pasta in tomato sauce. Then we had stewed apple and very small portion of Greek yogurt.

The weather is undecided today but I hope it stays dry enough to get my washing dry else I be dashing out and hiking it all back in again. I hate that game of putting it in and out on the washing line blow that for a game of soldiers

Went to the farmers market today which we think it getting bigger since we first went down. I bought some ostrich burgers as planned, then some rooster sausages made with only breast meat and garlic. Oh boy the garlic does smell strong so we will leave those to eating when we going no where. We will certainly be protected from the vampires eating those I bought a seeded loaf (small) to eat with the home made soup and for DH some scones with no added sugar.

Well no more news today and I now need to go and get some washing up done and prepare the vegetables for dinner for tomorrow. bye bye till next time
Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Sorry I was MIA yesterday -- turned into a nasty one -- I may have mentioned that I was taking my buddy, LouLou up to the hospital yesterday for some weird type of intestinal area cat scan. Turns out she is the 1 in 50,000 people to have an adverse reaction to either the stuff they gave her to drink or the dye they pumped into her interveinously -- she alsmost died. Anyway, all is well now and she is back home and 'resting comfortably'. Certainly hope they were able to get a diagnosis for her on-going tummy troubles after all this.

We have a long weekend here in NS (and most of the rest of Canada, too). So, of course, the forecast is for three days of solid rain. So far, it isn't raining, but it's about to. At least it is definitely not as hot as it has been lately.

Hope everybody else has a great day on the go . . . keep stuff moving and shaking jsut as much as you can, gang.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ well, we spent all day FRIDAY up at the lot and what a busy day. DH planted a pile of those SPIRIEA bushes and overdid it, I think: and so did I. I helped DH trim some of the longer grass and reeds with a long-handled pair of clippers that we picked up earlier this week.

Boy, did I get my share of exercise that day. I got a sunburn all over my face and we didn't get home until 8 pm, so was tres, tres tired. By the time we made and ate dinner, and cleaned up, all I wanted to do was go to bed and I went early too.

So today, all I did was a big ... NOTHING!!! Well, I watered my plants and supervised DH as he tilled the garden aisles and filled pails with top soil to take to the lot for the bushes. We still have about three to put in, but I couldn't make up my mind as I was so tired.

ANYWAYS, we are supposed to go there again tomorrow if the weather is OK. DH will only work on the foundation tomorrow and I can rest my poor feet and legs for the day. Oh, I may go for a walk around the loop though; we'll see how I feel.

GEE MEOWEE ~ that must have been scary for sure; but I'm really glad your friend is OK now. I had one of those and it does feel a tad weird, but it wasn't bad at all.

HEY PURPLE ~ WOW ... you get some interesting things at your FARMER'S MARKET there in England. We can order meat, but I haven't seen them selling it direct. I have heard that OSTRICH and BISON burgers are very healthy for you, but I haven't ever seen any here myself.

As you know, we only have one grocery store here, but we now have an M & M's MEAT STORE and another BULK MEAT STORE run by our local farmer's for organically reered animals and products. I should drop by and see what they have sometime.

HIYA VALDINE ~ you'd be glad to know that I did my 5K and then some this week, VAL. As I mentioned, I did lots of walking on Thursday and I walked around the loop track with NIKO one and a half times on Friday; and I also did some more walking back and forth as I trimmed with a manual whacker. Now I am whacked ... LOL! I meaned 'exhausted' ... LOL!!! How'd you do???

Well, that's all the news for now; it is a long weekend here too, and the stores were crammed on Thursday: so much for missing the Friday crowds ~ seems lots of people thought they'd do the same thing as us ~ LOL. So, take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #8  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good morning

It is a cloudy day here at the minute but not cold I have the kitchen door open to keep some air coming into the bungalow. Also especially now as I have the oven on and the steamer going full swing which sure do heat up the place super fast.

Managed to get my clothes all washed yesterday day. If I find any energy from anywhere soon I will be putting my bed clothes in for wash. But first I have to strip the bed If I was the bed I think I will definitely wash our dog as he is greatly drawn to the bed even when he is not suppose to. He takes any opportunity if I have forgotten to shut the bedroom door he is in like grease lighting. Has for our second bedroom which has a furry fleece on he absolutely adores and even tries to get in the bed and leave a right mess where he has driven the bed clothes down from the pillows with his nose I presume.

ROSEBUD :~ Wow you have been very busy no wonder you are feeling the effects of your labour. It is also doubly hard I think trying to cook as well when you are very tired and hungry. I think I would have been in bed early also. Do not blame you for doing nothing yesterday you need time to recharge those batteries there is only so much juice in them.

Yes they sell meat in a very small portable refrigerator system which runs off a generator I think so meats can be sold as they are kept chilled at the right temperatures. They also sold your normal fruit and vegetables. There was a smoked fish stall as well which I had not seen before at the farmers market. There is a stall that sells all sorts of pickles, preserves, honey and marmalade so there was a large section to chose from. If you do not watch out you can spend a fortune that this market as some things run at a bit more cost than other was good and solid. The bread went down a treat with my home made soup.

MEOWEE :~ Sorry to hear that Loulou had a really adverse reaction to her dye used in medical investigation. No wonder you were MIA things that much great priority in life than 3fc when emergencies such as that arise. Best wishes to a speedy recovery and hope that they get to the bottom of her tummy complaint especially after suffering that. I bet it was very frightening to have some like that happen. I have only been on the other side of the fence so to speak as a nurse when someone has had a bad reaction to anaesthetics which was like one in so many hundreds of thousands of people. It is hard enough then being a patient of mind never mind what you went through as a loved one.

No more gossip to be had so off to check on the dinner which is in full swing. VALDINE hope you are well and having a nice relaxing August weekend. Bye and see you soon

Last edited by purpleorc; 08-03-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: forgot to spell check it lol
Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #9  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

I could wish for a just cloudy day -- yesterday it rained fairly heavily -- today it is coming down in sheets. The latest forecast says no sun will be seen until about Wednesday. Hey, it's good weather for getting 'in-house- stuff done; but I feel sorry for those who really look forward to this long weekend that we get at the beginning of August. Luckily for those of us who are retired, it hardly matters whether it's a long or a short weekend. At least it isn't hot.

Hope the rest of you are getting better weather. See you soon.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #10  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ well, we did get sunshine today with some clouds and a little breeze; but it seemed everytime I ventured out, the sun would come out in full force. way too hot for me, but I did do TWO walks around our loop; tried to push it just a bit more. I hope to work up to three times soon; DH wants me to do more, but I know if I overdo it, I'll be sorry.

MEOWEE ~ we had the sunshine today, but they are forcasting rain, which my garden, trees, and bushes could use right now, so it will be welcomed if it shows up. Hope some sun comes your way soon ...

HEY PURPLE ~ cookin' up a storm again, I see. Does your meat cost you a lot over there? We are told that everything in England is extremely expensive. I notice that you buy lots of large roasts and turkey breasts: here they want $10.00 for just a turkey breast which seems expensive to me. I'd rather get a small whole turkey for about $20.00 if they are available.

I think I may buy a few this Thanksgiving as that's when they come on sale here. We are trying to eat more poultry as they say it is better for us. It's nice to have leftovers for sandwiches; sometimes I'll do a piece of beef for the same reason. We have some jams, pickels, jellies, veggies and fruit in the fall mainly at our farmers market. There are some crafts (like homemade jewelry) and woven rugs, but they are hard-pressed to keep up with the demand of the veggies that sell like hot cakes here. One lady even sells cheddar cheeses from a northern producer.

Our girls used to sneak up on our bed, esp as they got older, but because NIKO is so much bigger, we trained him to sleep in his own bed which is by our closet (at the end of my side of the bed). Sometimes he will lay by our dresser if he is hot, but so far so good: he has learned to that he has his own place. He doesn't complain as he never even got to come in the house at the previuos place he lived; poor thing. Now he just loves living with us; he gets so excited when we come home.

HI VAL ~ I walked around our track loop two times today and it felt OK except for the hot sun. Hope you're having a great long weekend off from work!

ANYWAYS, that's all from here; gonna go get my feet up as they need a rest and I'm gonna do a puzzle before bed. Take good care Chickies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #11  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good morning ladies

I have been out for my daily walk already as it is forecast rain for the rest of the day. The walk was really nice and we took a short one as we have done a couple of longer ones in the past couple days or so to give my legs a welcome break. We try to do different walks around the estate where we live. I have 2 favourite ones one to walk through the 2 public parks which are virtually next door to each other. The other favourite walk of mind is through the nature reserve but that can only be done if it has been dry for many days in a row as it tend to be very muddy and slippery under foot. So I do not need any help in the falling department thanks very much

Just about to go and do my shopping so I am taking this opportunity to write this whilst taking my coffee. I am ready to go bar drinking my coffee. I have had a quite weekend just plodding through the chores I normally leave for the weekend.

ROSEBUD :~ Not sure how meat compares to us price wise here in the UK to say yourselves in Canada. I will give you a bit of an idea. I would suspect it is rather expensive like every thing here. For a joint of boned leg of lamb for 4 to 6 people your looking at around $14.19 for this. For a joint of beef (silver side or sirloin) your looking at around $16.20. A joint of pork (leg) comes in around $12.19 for 4 to 6 people. The breast of turkey (crown of the turkey with only breast meat no legs) this comes in at around $24.20 but this serves around 8 to 10 people. I buy the cheaper cut of beef which is called pot roast which is not quite so lean but the main thing is you must cook it longer and slower for a tender meat this comes in around $9.12 for a joint that will feed 4 to 6 people. So as you can see meat is rather expensive. A joint of chicken is the cheapest when you can get a small/medium chicken for $6.08 which will feed 4 to 6 people I hope this will give you some idea how meat costs here in the UK. The one thing since healthy eating I do not eat such a big portion of meat so hence a joint will last us a couple of meals and also some left over for sandwiches. So that has made our money go further thats for sure.

Rizzie is a Staffordshire bull terrier as you know well that breed of dog can stretch their back legs out to full stretch rather than have them tucked under their body as other dogs have to. So that can make him stretch out in a narrow gap so if he can he sleeps at the bottom of the bed slap bang in the middle of us. One or two times he has given me a shock as I can not feel my feet properly due to nerve damage from MS well he has unbeknown to me laid on my legs. so I am frightened that I have had a relapses when all along it is Rizzie hogging all the bed and laying on my legs!

Time for me to scoot off to go shopping so bye ladies and take care
Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #12  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

I was up far too early, but at least I got a nice BGL to show for it and the scale is still holding at 211. The rain is still with us too -- guess that's how you can really tell this is a holiday Monday.

Nothing exciting going on for me -- plan to work on a bunch of crafty stuff that's on the go and might even do some laundry if I get bored with other stuff.

Hope everybody has a great day . . .
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #13  
Rosebud

HOWDY CHICKIES ~ My, did we have a scorcher today; 80F in the shade: don't know what is was out in the sun, just know it was way too hot for me. We went to our lot and finished transplanting all the Spirea bushes today and watering them all. I got my exercise in by trimming some more for DH and then we had a late lunch. Dh did a bit more work on his foundation, then we went home early as the heat was getting to him.

HEY PURPLE ~ some of your meat is higher, but your chicken is lower (we small whole chicken is about $10.00). A beef roast can range from $10 -20 and only less if there is a sale. Our pork comes on sale more often so you can get a deal there. I like a very LEAN Italian sausage made by a local man here; always buy his (we had them for dinner tonight).

Turkeys go on special around holidays and can range from about $12.00 for a small one the size of a chicken to 30 or 40 for a giant TOM. We buy smaller ones as there is only two of us; and we get some for sandwiches after too. Our Xtra-Lean chuck (ground beef) is about $5.00/per lb. We go for the leaner meat too, but it doesn cost a bit more. A leg of lamb here is higher too, but we might buy a nice shoulder Ham instead for about $12.00.

You have a lot of nice places to walk there. I did 2.5 time around our loop yesterday, but did only about one today as I spent more time trimming instead. I love it out there: quiet and peaceful most of the time, and very private, which I really like.

HI MEOWEE ~ Gee, we sure could use some of that rain; trade ya? Sun for rain ... LOL! Glad that both your weight and sugars are holding steady for you too!

HIYA VAL ~ Hope you had a great long weekend up there and that your weather is cooler than ours.

Take good care, ladies ~ your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-04-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #14  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

the weeknd has been good

Rosebud - way to go on your 5k! I did mine on saturday... it was a beautiful day. and yes we are much cooler up here now. days arent getting hotter than about 16 on the most part. july is definitly our 'summer month'

Purple
- the bus incident made a lot of news reports. it was a one time thing.. and I'll still take the bus but for my own energy level I'm sticking to day buses only.. and I'll be sitting as close to the front from now on (the man who was murdered was near the back so the 37 other passengers didnt know what was happening until it was too late)

the battery on my scale died over the weekend. it was like losing a good friend! (I thought the entire thing died.. but my brother told me to change the batter.. lol and voila)

I need to run and get some final laundry done. It has been a great relaxing - unproductive- day!

Last edited by valpal23; 08-04-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Gee . . . it's raining again . . .

Actually we did get about 15 minutes of sun yesterday and just might see the same some time today. We had more thunderstorms yesterday evening and reports of a funnel cloud touching down and destroying some trees. Very unusual weather for Nova Scotia. At least we are doing a lot better than northern New Brunswick where (once again) they are having some serious flooding.

One good thing -- when I think back to how I would have ached a couple of years ago (at my highest weight) after three or four days of solid rain like this -- I definitely have to say that losing almost 75 pounds has definitely helped my arthritis. Oh, hey, I still ache, but at least I'm still mobile.

Speaking of which (the mobility part), I really must go out and do a grocery run this morning. Think of all the extra exercise I'll get running between the raindrops. Not to mention that both extra-lean ground beef and skinless chicken breasts are on sale. Wish somebody would put the horrendously expensive lamb on.

Have a great day everybody . . . really wish I could share some of this rain with you.
Closed Thread