Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 12:12 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #49

Meme, I read this in our paper yesterday.

This story was in our newspaper last night. Just thought I would type it up, because lots of you have children with ADD.

VITAMINS CREDITED WITH CHANGES

A switch from Ritalin to vitamins for a 9 year old boy was made for one happy family in Clive, Alberta.

Marla and Gerald Steinwand took Craig, their developmentally delayed son, off Ritalin last June and a month after starting a Vitamin Program in September he showed marked improvement in his behaviour and physical health.

“If the doctors and nutritionists could just get together, you may get down to the root of the problem instead of trying to provide a Bandaid Solution,” Marla said.

Her son was on Ritalin from age 5 to control his severe hyperactivity and improve his attention span and speech. The exact cause of Craig’s genetic problems haven’t been diagnosed, but the combination of vitamins, soy protein, valarian root, leithin and iron have mad a big difference, his dad said.

“Before, he was in a drugged-out state” Gerald said. “It’s calmed him and now her’s more alert. I think he’s able to learn better now.”

In fact, Craig has even learned how to print, a skill that was expected to be out of his reach, Marla added.

He attends an integrated Grade 3 class in Clive, and has settled down enough in his desk to do work sheets with little supervision.

The physical changes in Craig are visible in his school photos. Before he was gaunt and drooled, with a glazed look in his eyes, but now he’s filled out, the drooling has stopped, and he has an alert and happy glow.

And he’s developing into his own personality according to people who knew him before his vitamin treatment began.

While on Ritalin, Craig wouldn’t eat. But since September her’ gained about 4.5 kg. Calcium and magnesium supplements also improved the quality and length of his sleep. Previously, he needed more than on Gravol every night to get any sleep.

A friend originally recommended the Steinwands look into nutritional therapy. A book led them to consult with Sharon Panuska, a registered nurse and an educator on ADD and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) from Balitmore.

“I am very much a skeptic. I have to see it to believe it,” said Marla, adding it was nice to throw the Ritalin away.

“With narcotics, I couldn’t see how it could be healthy for a child. It’s scary.

The vitamins Panuska recommended cost the Steinwands about $225.00 a month.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:41 PM   #2  

Default Hi

Well, weigh in was today, and I was down 1.6 pounds. Not great, but then again not so bad. That makes almost 7 pounds gone and THAT is good. I am really tired today. I pulled a Candice and Meme and was up until 3:30 a.m. and then up for the day at 9:00 a.m. My back was so darn sore, I just wanted to scream. Felt like someone had a hot poker pushing into the spine. Seems a bit better today.

Anyway, some of you are having bad weather I hear. Not to bad here - no snow - did has some wind and it is supposed to cool down for a couple of days. But hey! Spring is almost upon us, and that is good. I know we will all feel better once that happens, although Joanne, how do you know when spring comes to Florida? I know when it is here, because the snow leaves, the weather improves, the trees start to get buds. I bet the tulips will be out next month. That is usually an April thing here. Oh, I can't wait for it to get here, and no more boots and slippery sidewallks. I will be able to get outside and walk.

Hi Meme, Ally, Candice, Mima - hope you are all having a good day.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:04 PM   #3  

Default Hey There

Happy- I think that we almost had spring here lately ,untill this cool spell came along. We are supposed to be almost freezing here tonight and in some parts inland below. This is unusual weather for us. I guess I will have to say when we don't have to turn on the heat and can open the windows. We will probably lose a lot of plants with this cold spell. Bushes and trees are blooming now.
That is a good weight loss. You want to lose in small amounts.
I sort of agree with the article you found on the vitamim therepy instead of Ritalin. I am not a believer in drugs for anyone and children are on the top of my list. When my daughter was about 3 the Dr.s tried to put her on Ritalin. They said she was too hyper. I took the med home and I think I gave her about 3-4 days on it. I say her glassy eyes and said no way. I flushed them and worked with the problem . She is a teacher working on her Masters Degree and has been Teacher of the year twice and was voted a third time. She said give someone else a chance. A lot of work goes into those honers. There can be alternative ways to these problems. I hope Meme's g/childs family finds the solution that is best.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 02-28-2002, 02:19 AM   #4  

I had thought about the nutrition and vitamin thing with Ross. He doesn't eat well and very seldom gets outside for sun and fresh air (unless it is on the playground at school). He won't take any kind of vitamins without a (huge) fight. He is very particular about what goes in his mouth. He doesn't eat a good variety of foods, either. I looked up some things on the internet after reading the article Anne posted (thanks by the way) and found a book that sounds interesting...so I ordered it. It is The ADD Nutrition Solution A Drug Free 30-day Plan by Marcia Zimmerman, C.N. There is a place here that will mix kids meds in a liquid form and flavor them. I told my daughter tonight she needs to get some vitamins and take them over there and get them to make them into a flavored liquid. I'm sure they could work with some of the chewable ones and make them taste as good as cough syrup...he'll take that, liquid antibiotics and liquid Tylenol so why not flavored vitamins!?! I had him all day today and he was perfect until this afternoon late. He fell asleep in the recliner and when I tried to get him up to get ready to go out to eat and go to church he was horrible...It was the worst 2 hrs. I've spent in a while! He didn't want to get up, he didn't want to get dressed, he didn't want to get in the van, he didn't want to get OUT of the van, he didn't want to eat (and didn't) and he didn't want to go to church. But then, by the time church was over he was fine again. It is like he becomes a different person sometimes. I love him to death but I'm glad the snow is gone and they are having school tomorrow. I sure hope they get something done by summer because I will have him 5 days a week when school is out and I don't know if I'm able to handle him or not. Today I had to take a muscle relaxant and it about knocked me out. I layed down on the couch and went to sleep. That's not good with a 5 year old in the house!!! Especially when you're not sure what he's going to do next! Oh, but I do so love that child!!!!!!!

We got to church and they were not having classes for the kids. The baby (she'll be 3 next month but she's still Meme's baby) just cried. She wanted to go to class so bad. They kept all the kids in the auditorium while the adults went into the fellowship hall and had a class. The kids practiced singing for the Sunday Morning Service. Well...here I was with 2 kids who wanted to be somewhere else...hubby went with the adults. Then they asked me to play the piano while the kids sang so I was trying to play with Jenna sitting on the bench on my right side and Ross in the floor on my left side because neither one of them would leave my side! It was HORRIBLE. And the Wednesday night classes are soooooo boring. I told hubby tonight (I WAS SO MAD...go to church and come out mad...not good) anyway...I told him I wasn't going back on Wed. night anymore and that if he couldn't find somewhere else to go I'd just stay home. I just don't feel good...I know that is part of it...but it's still boring...and tonight was just awful!!! There were 3 adult women and a teenage girl in there with the kids and all 25 of those kids were WILD but the adults didn't do one thing to calm them down. They sung their songs ONE time each...that's it...and the rest of the time were just wild. I took Jenna and Ross back to the back and let them color. What a night. Daughter and S-I-L had to go to the funeral home...his grandmother died.

Enough...sorry...sometimes I get carried away! I want to go to FL!!! I think I'll run away from home...I'll go stay with Mima for 2 weeks (until she goes back home) and then go stay with Joanne for a couple of weeks! Oh well...guess I'd just have to come back to the same old thing!

Last edited by MemeToo; 02-28-2002 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:05 AM   #5  

Default Hi

Hey meme-come on down but bring your warm jacket. It's cool-they are putting suggestions on the tv like we have at home for 20 below. It;s funny. Got my nails done yesterday-getting a massage and a body perm today. Got tickets to the Red Sox for Mon when my daughter is here, I am looking forward to her being here I think. pass the time. I have to get back to one day at a time-life is too short. I walked 2x yesterday but had cheesecake for someon'es birthday. Oh well. Meme-I would definitely look for some other ideas about ADD. There are a lot of books around. He's not going to get better overnight.You are in my prayers. Hi Joanne, Ally, Anne. Candice. Bye for now. Mima
Old 03-01-2002, 07:05 AM   #6  

Default Hi

Hey guys-did you disappear? Tried to see the shuttle but it was too cloudy. I'm into painting again-am motivated. Watercolor. I had a wonderful massage yesterday and it really helped. Hope everyone is fine. Mima
Old 03-01-2002, 09:35 AM   #7  

Default Hey There

Mima- Still here,just been busy. It is supposed to rain today. Alot of the time when they predict rain we don't get it where I live. I will see it all around though. I haven't got out to walk in a couple days. Have to go get my hair shaped up today so I guess I won't today either. Oh Well!
Hello to Happy,Meme and Ally....Joanne
Old 03-01-2002, 12:33 PM   #8  

Hi. Mima, we haven't ALL disappeared. I was really busy yesterday. Had an hour massage and then had to go for a Chiro treatment. The good news was, that the alignment had held, so he didn't need to do anything. I have not been sleeping well. I could be joining Candice. My right are, my right hip and my neck are all sore now. I can't seem to put any pressure on the hip area, or I get a pain that runs down the front of my thigh and pretty soon my foot is feeling like pins and needles. Must be hitting on a nerve or something.

Also, yesterday, I was so hungry. It has gotten so cold here again. An Arctic cold front is moving through, and it was 10 below zero and supposedly heading for even colder next week. Well I guess March came in like a Lion here, so it should go out like a Lamb, but that is Easter and that is always unsettled weather here. I just KNOW spring is right around the corner, and as fast as time goes, it will be here before we know it.

Meme - how is Ross doing? I sure hope things will get a little better. Hi Candice and Alley and Joanne. Have a nice day everyone.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #9  

Hi Guys...this flu diet is still working. I have not eaten much, can't breathe and am exhausted. If I take a whole bunch of Nyquil I can sleep for an hour or two.
Next year I am definitely getting a flu shot.
My house is so dirty...muddy kitchen floor and rugs.
Haven't even thought about all my boyfriends....must really be sick!!!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:54 PM   #10  

Default Hey There

Ally- You must be really sick if the guys are off your mind... I hope you feel better soon. Remember flu shot season is Sept.-Oct. Of course they only work for certain bugs.
Happy -The Icy-hot jar has been my friend along with the heating pad,for a while. I told my hubby I would like to have one day to not get up in the morning and be hurting.My righr shoulder down my arm and my back has been giving me fits. I haven't walked for 3 days, Maybe I need to. The weather hasn't been so good. It's been cold and windy. I know it is not as cold as where you are but for Florida it is cold.Warm up tomorrow and then we might get rain.
Meme- How are you holding up? How is Ross doing?
Mima.. I made the Chocolate pie tonight. One problem. I ate 1/4. I am a chocolate addict.. My hubby bought 3 boxes of Girl scout cookies. Between the two of us they are gone in 2 days. I have no will power. I know this and still do it!
Hi Candice...
Bye...Joanne
Old 03-02-2002, 06:25 AM   #11  

Default Hi

I also had an eating binge yesterday. Oh Ally, Brad was so sick when he had that but I only got a touch and I had the flu shot. Poor you. My daughter will be here after midnight tonight. Hope that works out. At least it will pass the time. I kept busy yesterday-painting, looking for a place for next year. My best friend is having health problems again-water retention. They changed her sleep machine-big insurance mixup. Now she has to have another echocardiagram.Pray!!!My back is so much better after that massage, I'll; have another before I get home and then back to senior yoga. that helps. Haven't gone in the pool because it's too cold. Bye for now. Mima Hi everyone!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 03:05 PM   #12  

Default Hi

First of all, Ally, I hope you are feeling better. The flu is so horrible. You haven't been going to work have you?

Joanne, I hope you start feeling better soon. We are having about 20 above today, and the sun is shining and we have a fresh dusting of snow. So everything looks so very nice and clean. I am, however, ready for spring.

Mima - glad the massage helped you, and that your back is feeling better. I hope you enjoy your visit with your daughter. I sensed a bit of apprehension there, so I hope everything go ok for you.

I went to the Chiro on Thursday, and the good news was that the alignment held, so I didn't need a treatment. Also, had a massage on Thursday morning, and I am still suffering the consequences of same. She worked on my neck, and my arm, and my hip, and today, I WISH I could get run over by a freight train, instead of just being hit by that semi I hurt so bad. On Wednesday night, I took two pain killers, and my stomach felt so sore until yesterday. I had to keep eating as it was the only way to make the pain go away. I don't take them often, because everything I take seems to affect me this way. I have resorted to wearing my necksupport today and my back brace. I feel terrible and can't seem to shake this irritable feeling that I have, and I feel bad because I know I will gain back some of the pounds I have lost. Oh well, enough whining, as that really isn't going to make me feel any better, and you all don't need to hear it.

Ally, did you get your Blue Stuff yet. I was thinking I would like to slather my whole body in it:lol

Hi Candice and Meme. Hope you both are feeling ok. Stop in and let us know.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #13  

Got My Blue Stuff in the mail...and slept all night (practically sitting up) and I CAN BREATHE today!!!
I feel like a truck ran over me, and I want to get my house all clean, but I am just doing bits and pieces and then laying on the couch to watch Clint Eastwood movies.
I should get on the scale cause I feel skinny...but I will just trust that I must've lost 20 pounds
Old 03-03-2002, 03:07 AM   #14  

We are having a late winter! Snow Snow Go away..come again another day..or year or so..............So so cold but should be back up to normal the middle of this week.

Happy are you sure that hot poker was not DH! a loss is better than a gain!

Ally..20 pounds..wishful thinking! Don't worry about cleaning..get rest!

Joanne..you told me to put darts in my pants! (my jean waist band)

Mima...doesn't massage make you hurt for a while after you get it? It does me..sterrible head and neck pain for a day or two. The Chiro used to do the same thing.

Meme...we need our vitamins, but they won't solve everything. Sure be nice if they could!

I had an appt Wed..just to get my regular meds refilled. I hate going when I don't need anything new...but they won't refill unless you come in! So I did some shopping before the snow hit and I had my snow boots on and that was a mistake..my legs, hips and feet are suffering. I have to have my walking shoes on to prevent too much pain!

Still maintaing...but somedays I just want to eat anything and everything, maybe that is why I bought some Easter candy! Just Hershey's kisses with almonds! 3 for 2 pts
Old 03-03-2002, 07:23 AM   #15  

Default Hi

My daughter is here safely so I didn't get too much sleep because the plane was late and I coukldn't sleep-my son picked her up. She seemed happy=liked that she had her own bathroom . The last time we lived together was a nightmare but I had moved into that small condo and it had one small bathroom. There are 2 funny single men from Ontario next door waiting for their girlfriends to get down here. One even offered to carry my groceries. I hope we have a party and they can all come because they are very sociable-they call themselves Oscar and Felix and they have been friends for 50 years. Nice countymen, Anne. It's nice to meet new people all the time but next door to me is a couple that live near my hometown and I met them here. Went to the mall-going to church. And it's Brad -11. Mima Hope we all have a pain free day!!!!!!!!!I put us all on the prayer list.
Closed Thread