Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default My dirty little secret...bunions.

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone else has bunions and I'm seeking advice about what I should do. (Honestly, I know what I SHOULD do, I just need support and encouragement to follow through with it.

I've had these bunions for as long as I can remember now. They're ugly, they make buying shoes impossible, and they hurt. I've been able to continue exercising with them, but that can get painful. I think I inherited them from my mom, and she's had surgery multiple times to correct them. So I know the only way I'm really going to get rid of them is to find a podiatrist and probably get surgery.

But I don't want surgery! I just started a new job, I have two babies. I'm starting to get back into a consistent exercise routine after having the babies. But for insurance reasons, it would make sense to get surgery by the end of the year.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How long is the recovery time (and how long will I have to wear an ugly boot or whatever?). How long before you could do some light exercise again? I'm sick of being in pain and ashamed of my feet, but I'm afraid of going through with surgery. So please, tell me it's worth it so I can make an appointment.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #2  

My mom had these and suffered for most of her adult life - never did anything about them. If you are in pain then isn't it worth it to go talk to someone and at least find out what is involved and recovery time ???? Suffering in pain when you can do something is a waste of energy.

Hope you get it taken care of !
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #3  

OK, OK, I've taken the first step. I've called my doctor's office to set up an appointment for a referral to a podiatrist, Monday at 11.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #4  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Amy, good luck, I need to do the exact same thing!!! THEY HURT!!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #5  

There you go !!!!!!!!!! I hope you get this taken care of - being in constant pain is NO way to live - especially if you have options.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #6  

I saw my general physician yesterday for a referral, and I have an appointment with the podiatrist today! There's no going back now. I'm not looking forward to it (surgery) but I am looking forward to relief from this pain.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #7  

Good for you - I'm so glad you went !!!! I know surgery must be kind of scary and a disruption in your life - but pain is a major disruption.
Let us know how it goes !
Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #8  

The surgery is scheduled for October 5! The doctor was impressed by the size of the bunion given my age, and the first question he asked was who in my family has them (my mom), since it had to be hereditary. So that made me feel better. It's like I knew I didn't do anything to cause them on one level, but on the other I felt like they were my fault. He said I wouldn't need to be on crutches or anything after, so that's a huge relief too. Thanks to everyone for giving me a kick in the butt!