Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Carb Problem?

Is there anything I can do if I have trouble digesting carbs properly? I don't think I have an actual allergy to wheat, I just think sometimes I have a problem with carbs. Some days I'm fine, others I am not. Like lately, it's like I'm constipated every other day. I have started drinking more water, if that might be causing my body to change. But I was told by someone, not saying whom or where, that I have trouble digesting carbs. What can I do about that? Digestive enzyme pills? And if I took those how long would it take to notice a difference? Immediately or a while?
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #2  

How about eating less carbs - sounds more like you are lacking fiber than anything. Try eating more fruits and vegetables. What kind of carbs do you eat - a lot of processed stuff or the good complex carbs like whole grains, fruit and vegetables?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #3  
Free-thinker

I eat whole grains and put fiber powder in my teas. I can get around 20 grams of fiber a day. I try to get fruits and veggies, but I'm not much for either. If I can't jsut grab them and eat, I don't eat them at all. Not much for taking time to fix stufff. -_-' But yah, I admit I do have some sugary stuff, but not as much as I used to. I try to get as healthy a whole grain stuff as I can. Almost always have to read labels anymore, especially on bread.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #4  

20 grams of fiber is not enough. The minimum is 25 and 30-35 is better. You need to quit the sugar and grab the fruit and veggies for an instant fiber boost.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

When you say that sometimes you are fine, and sometimes you are not - what are your symptoms? I'm wondering if they could be symptoms of coeliac disease, where your body can't properly digest gluten.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/...tenallergy.htm

I have a friend with this disorder. She said the only way you know for sure if you have it or not is to take all gluten out of your diet for a couple weeks and see if you feel better. It may be something you want to talk to your doctor about.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #6  
Free-thinker

I'll try to get more fiber. And I know I need to stop the sugar. I'm trying that too. It's not as bad as it used to be. The only sugar I get in a day is one Fiber One bar and one Eddy's ice cream bar. And I'm gonna try to stop eating the ice cream bars.

I'm not sure I have that disease. Doesn't sound like me. That and I honestly do not think I could stop eating wheat products. Bad ones, yes. Good ones, I don't think so. But I'll try getting more fruits and veggies and see if that helps. Who knows, it may be a nutrient thing. I'll keep ya posted and thanks for the tips.