3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   Any one stuggle with IBS or similar illness??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/113602-any-one-stuggle-ibs-similar-illness.html)

floridarusty 07-24-2007 12:27 PM

Hi, just found this thread. I have IBS and Diverticulitis with diarrhea and it is flaired up the last couple weeks....not sure why. I cannot eat any type of lettuce at all and raw veggies I can do in small amounts, cooked sometimes bother me but I always have a lot of "gas".

I am going to try to add some fiber to help but I have heard that fiber can bloat you and also cause gas....I don't need any more of that! Any ideas?

My Dr. tells me to take Imodium and usually 1/2 tablet stops mine and mine is usually in the mornings, no matter what I've eaten the night before.

I am due for another colonoscopy soon so I can have a good talk again with my Dr.

I go to a hypnotist for weight loss and he has helped very much with my desire to exercise and cut portions. I asked him about the cd's for IBS and he said they do work but he is not trained for that area. I may look into the cd's, could you please pm what your using.

Glad to find this group.

Phyllis

Mima 07-25-2007 06:52 AM

Hi lady from S.Florida-we live in Ft Myers in the winter.
I have ibs and diverticulitis. My symptoms go away when I get an antibiotic so I think it is more the divert, Walmart has a generic benefiber which I started to add to a beverage. No bloating, I take Miralax for constipation. but that's not your problem. I can hardly eat anything. I sure would like to stop the infections- I missed 4 days of work because of it. I am retired so I like extra money.
No fun to have a colonoscopy. I just had one-no polyps just lots of diverticulosis.
Mima

floridarusty 07-25-2007 09:25 AM

Thanks Mima, I will try the Benefiber you suggested. I have read to add it slowly and drink lots of water (which I do anyway). I'll get some today.

Yesterday I was fine, now today it seems to be acting up a bit............driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyllis

elisa822 07-25-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Over time I've found that if I stick with liquids until late in the afternoon, I don't get the cramping and urgency. I use Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added in the AM with 1.5 cups of milk, then make a smoothie with yogurt at lunch (those acidophilus bugs in the yogurt probably help, too.) I seem to be able to eat whatever from dinner on. Anyone else have this weird time-of-day problem with it?
Count me in as a IBS-D sufferer. I am most certainly a "time of the day" person, which is both good and bad. 99% of my issues are first thing in the morning, although not every day. Usually it's shortly after I put something in my stomach. It doesn't seem to matter what it is although I'm sure the coffee doesn't help. ;) Sometimes it happens without eating or drinking anything. I am so thankful that I have an office job and can generally run to the washroom when I need to. I also know where every public washroom is in the downtown core!

I get so worried when we're going on vacation that I'll be stuck somewhere but for some weird, and lucky reason, this doesn't usually happen on vacation.

Because for me the "D" part is just in the morning, I can mostly eat what I want the rest of the day. I do though get these very odd dull and I don't know if they're related to the IBS, stomach aches and they seem to be triggered by raw foods - raw almonds kill me, as do some fruits and vegetables. I found that a Zantac seems to help and I can't figure out why.

I have also had my gallbladder out and been tested for Crohn's but this was thankfully ruled out.

Anything I can learn here is greatly appreciated. What a great topic for so many of us.

Mima 07-26-2007 06:32 AM

If you have been diagnosed with diverticulosis, you shouldn't eat seeds. I have had it for 25 years and did well avoiding seeds, but now it seems everything raw etc. gives me a stomache ache. I sure miss eating salads.
Miralax is great for constipation.
Bye for now, Mima

floridarusty 07-29-2007 09:14 AM

This is very interesting as I am noticing I have more stomach aches as I get older. I cannot eat any lettuce but I do eat raw veggies, maybe that is my problem. With having IBS-D and Diverticilus I watch seeds and nuts,if I eat any nuts I only eat like 4 and chew them forever. I now de-seed my tomatoes as I think that is the cause of my bout last couple of weeks and am basically avoiding my favorite strawberries.

For this week (knock on wood) everything seems to be calmed down. As for traveling, which we are doing a lot of now that we are retired, I am very very careful what I eat and always have Imodium in my pocket but once I get past 11 a.m. I usually am pretty safe.

I always know where all the restrooms are too...........:(

Phyllis

little pony 07-29-2007 09:43 AM

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis a year ago this week. I have tho stay away from anything with seeds and nuts. I also can't have corn, and have to peel the skin off of some veggies and fruits with tough skin. I love pancakes, but have found that I can't have pancakes with sausage. Something with that combo really sets me off. I have a friend with IBS. She can eat the things I can't and visa versa. I live in Illinois and right now all the sweet corn in season. I really miss that. And strawberries. I really miss those too. I really have to watch what I eat when I know I am going to be far from home. Often I just stick with water. It just is safer and less stressful.

mtest39 07-29-2007 10:58 AM

I've not been officially diagnosed with IBS but I am fairly sure that is what I have, based on the symptoms. My Dad's side of the family has the same problems as well. Holidays get very interesting with only one bathroom at my grandmother's house. I am also doing research into Celiac disease and thinking of trying a gluten free diet for a while but I have discovered that if I eat mostly whole foods and very little sugar, that I am fine for months at a time. I don't have any problems with fruits or veggies and can have coffee in small amounts. My major triggers are fast food and soda. Once I start eating fast food or eat out too much in general, I mess my system up and I can stay sick for weeks no matter what I eat.

However, I do have problems with flair ups when I am anxious and inevitably get very sick every time I travel and spend the whole vacation taking Imodium every few hours every day and then it takes a month or more for my system to settle. I would really like to figure out how to handle this.

Mima 07-29-2007 05:05 PM

We went to a Mission Conference and I survived-only had to make my own lunch once. I stay away from any seeds-you can really get in trouble with infections. My diet is so limited-only cooked carrots and winter squash for vegetables-I take a multivitamin. No salads-I peel the skin off plums and peaches and eat applesauce. Def. aggravated by stress. No wheat or milk either but I have rice milk and spelt bread. I figure I should just get a feeding tube. ha!!! Mima

Happy Canuk 07-29-2007 07:40 PM

Hello. I think if you Fibromyalgia, chances are good that you will also have IBS. Probiotics and added fiber can help, but you have to try different types of fiber. Bran really is trigger for me.

Somebody mentioned the gallbladder. I have for years, and years, thought that mine was related to having my gallbladder removed. I had it out when I was 21 and had no problems before that time. 40 years this has been going on and it is a right pain in butt:) I don't eat much fat, but when I do, I know it immediately. Eating a hamburger from Dairy Queen sent me running at a fast pace to the washroom.

I have it undercontrol at the moment. Cleaned the Candida out of my system and am doing much better. Perhaps ask your Dr. if you can try Difulcan for a 4 week trial and take probiotics and see if it helps. It worked for me.

Mima 07-30-2007 06:39 AM

I agree Anne. Right now I am on antibiotic for Diverticulitis so i am eating Activia and using Fibersmart which has the probiotics. I wonder if the doc would gibe me the diflucan? Mima

Happy Canuk 07-31-2007 09:43 AM

Here is something I had NOT heard of before. I am now investigating this (feel like a PI) :lol: This is with regards to SMALL INTESTINAL BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH (SIBO)

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_int...th/article.htm

Mima 08-01-2007 06:05 AM

It sure is mind-opening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Anne-now I would like to know if gastro docs know about it. Sure fits my symptoms-Mima

CousinRockingChair 08-01-2007 06:21 AM

My only relevant contribution to this discussion is that, as an IBS-C sufferer (occasional IBS-D, it varies a bit) I can seem to gain a couple of pounds and get horribly bloated. I know if I change my diet substantially it does improve, but mostly I don't care about self enough to be bothered!

emily
xxx

ayaussy 08-01-2007 09:19 AM

I've pondered if bacterial overgrowth might be my problem since I have scleroderma and it's one of the risk factors. I just have all the telltale signs of IBS and not the weightloss associated with SIBO. I've cranked up to three acidopholus tablets in the AM and I use Beano if eating something that has given me problems in the past, and going is less "urgent." Probiotics may also help low-level SIBO, so I'm covering all my bases!