Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #1  
just me

S/C/G: 390/337/140

Height: 5'2

Default Anyone else dealing with bi-polar?

I have bi-polar disorder, an anxiety disorder and asthma. ALL of my meds list weight gain as a side effect. It is extremely hard trying to lose weight! I checked out the depression board, but I don't deal with the same issues. I don't think I fit in there. Decided to try this board (I'm also on the 300+ board) Hoping to find someone else who is in a similar circumstance, so we could commiserate on med effects, mood effects, etc.

me
michelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #2  

Weight gain is a side effect of the medication I am on for asthma but I found watching carefully what I eat and limiting carbs to 3-4 servings a day has let me lose weight successfully. Everyone taking a medication doesn't experience all the side effects.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm Bi-Polar as well. I was taking medication until late-2002/early-2003, when I found out I was pregnant and it wasn't safe to take the medications while pregnant. Then, I breastfed for a little over three years and I couldn't take the medication while nursing. I have been okay for the most part (other than some random erratic mood swings) and have been debating whether I will be okay without the medication or if I need to return to it. I had not even considered weight issues, but that could be a concern as well. They were one reason I elected to have an Mirena IUD, rather than any other birth control after I had my daughter.
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #4  
just me

S/C/G: 390/337/140

Height: 5'2

Well, I was on one med that definitely caused me to gain weight, about 50lbs in about 2 yrs. I'm off that one now, but even with a new one, I am finding it sooooo hard!
michelou is offline   Reply With Quote