Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 02:56 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I decided to answer you about the messager and switch to a new post because I copied and pasted the info from Amazon and it was printing extremely large print. Then when I submitted it it was in color. ???
I agree with Fatmad... I think you may need to let DH know the importance of you needing to wait the 2 weeks because you can't go up and down stairs for those 2 weeks because you don't want to have to go back in the hospital if you damaged something. There is a reason they say don't go up and down stairs for 1 or 2 weeks. I would tell him 2 weeks because they say 1 or 2 which means you might can do it after 1 week but I think only you will know by how you feel if you need the 2nd week. I always go by how I feel when I decide if I want to do some things and I tell DH I can't do feel comfortable doing that today. I'm the only one who knows what I'm ready to do, If there is a chance you could undo of damage something from the procedure then I think waiting 2 weeks so you can have a safe recovery so you can feel like going places and doing things with him isn't asking too much. I would go by what they say do. I am praying he will be more understanding about this.

Fatmad Do you still do yoga? Don't they have some meditation exercises to relax you so that you could meditate before you go to sleep? You probably can't do yoga with your knee, but maybe some form of meditation would help. I have my favorite Christian music I love that I play every night while praying and it works for me. DH is amazed at how he has to wake me up for me to go to bed and once I am so awake by the time I get in bed I am talking to him to him. But within 15 to 20 minutes I fall asleep and sleep so deep nothing wakes me up. Just a suggestion. It works for me but doesn't mean it will for you. I hope you can enjoy having a few days of "me time" while DH is gone.

Y'all may be right about the muscle from the activity although I didn't exercise much this past week but I did walk in the DMV office and Wallmart Tuesday and walked at oncology with the walker. However I have kept upt the resistance leg exercises because of the neuropathy symptoms. DH mentioned me going in at Sam's next Tuesday sto I may try walking at Sam's because I want to see if they are getting the Cod fish I used to by there before Covid. I hope they are getting them again. I also want to walk the local store I like to go to because they carry the liver I like plus I also know where to look to get the chicken livers DH couldn't find. I know if I get too tired to walk the local store they are good at keeping electric carts ready for me and I can use one if I need it.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I CAN be firm with DH when necessary. I won't go anywhere until I feel that I'm ready because if anything happens I want to be here. I think the paperwork says 1 week for stairs and 2 weeks for healing of the groin, but I can drag it out as long as I want.

Trish, how do you prepare your chicken livers? We both like them. I rarely buy them because I don't know how to serve them for a meal. I usually just saute them in butter. DH will usually eat any meat as long as there's potatoes with them.

He told me we forgot to get chips and pretzels but I told him he's in charge of the junk food. Ever since he broke his hip he gets a cart to use it as a walker. He gets his bread, candy, Twinkies and snacks. Then we meet up at the registers and combine our carts. We can't go back to Walmart tomorrow unless the hospital calls early with my time. Today I had cake on my list. I can't figure out what I meant to write because I would not have meant cake. I have cake mix in my pantry but I rarely bake a cake anymore. I don't eat it and it makes too much for just DH. For the life of me I can't figure out what I meant.

DH was talking to his daughter on the phone and I heard him tell her "She won't be able to go anywhere for 2 weeks." So he knows.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-15-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:35 PM   #198  

Carol Sue I used to make a nice batter on both chicken livers and gizzards fry them, but I might just try cooking liver the way you said you do. That would be good to cook them the same way I do regular liver and onions and maybe add a small can of mushrooms. I dredge regular liver in just enough flour so that when I brown it and add a little bit of water, it make a light gravy not a heavy one. I'm not sure I would eat gizzards right now because I don't want to mess with the grissle part plus I like them with a beautiful crispy batter on them. I've always dredged my fried meat in milk then flour but I like to watch Brenda Gant cook southern foods and she uses buttermilk because she says the batter sticks to the meat better and makes a crispier batter. Have you ever tried that? But I don't cook fried food much any more. DH pan fries in butter spray like Pam. These days I prefer putting meat in a pan and cooking them in the small oven and by the time we are ready to eat it is done. I would eat one dish meals especially crockpot foods, but DH doesn't like casserol/one dish meals.

I'm glad you heard your DH tell his daughter that you can't go any where for a couple of weeks. It is good to know that he knows. He sounds a lot like my Daddy was. Before we learned that Mama had cancer, they would walk all the time. My blessed Mama told me that she had a lot of pain in one of her upper thighs and could hardly keep walking. He would pusher. I think Daddy thought he was doing a good thing to make her keep going. I don't think it would have changed the outcome, but I think he did it because he was afraid of losing her. I learned after he died that he had a lot of fears and that was one of his fears with all of us. Hopefully your DH will realize how important it is to follow the doctor's rules on this situation.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:04 PM   #199  

Trish, I never fry anything in a batter because I don't know how. Most meats like chicken tenderloins, pork chops and steak I cook on my grill pan sprayed with olive oil spray. I even cook my calf liver and salmon that way. But other things like the chicken livers I melt butter in small frying pan and sauteed them on low. I have heard of people eating gizzards but I would never and DH would never. When I cook a turkey I cook the gizzards and heart in simmering water and use the water to flavor the stuffing/dressing. Then I cut up the meat and Rusty eats it. He can smell it cooking and he sits right next to me in the kitchen until its done. The gizzards is rubbery and I don't like it, but I really don't know how to cook it like you do. I think that's a southern thing. I don't know anyone who does that.

Now that I think about it I think my mother cooked liver like you do, with flour and adding water to make gravy. My mother was a great cook but she would never teach me. I think she wanted me to need her. Her food was scrumptious! My MIL cooked fried chicken with just a dusting of flour. I don't know how to fry chicken either. I can't adjust the temperature and it gets done on the outside but not on the inside. I just bake my chicken in the oven. I have a hard time knowing when meat is done.

I want to make pork chops in the slow cooker with gravy but I don't know if DH will eat it. I guess I should just try it and see. At least Rusty will eat good!

Trish, DH told me casseroles are for women! Tomorrow I will make chicken tenderloins in a casserole with Cream of Chicken soup and cubed hash browns on top. DH will eat that because of the potatoes. I recently found out you are supposed to put slices of Swiss cheese in it too but I never did that.

I make another dish that I slice kielbasa and fry it in a pan, then add canned diced tomatoes and canned mushrooms to heat. Add that together with cooked noodles. I love that and its fast. DH tolerates it..

Now I'm going to bed and hope I get some sleep.
​​​​​​.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #200  

Carol Sue I used to be a really good cook when my kids were home because I was around so many good cooks. I cooked for family gatherers and I was taught how important to be a good cook and you always had t o have something to offer people to eat when they came over to visit. I remember one evening I was cooking fried chicken for supper for DH#2, the kids and me. The doorbell rang and in walked DMIL and her DH and announced they were there to spend a week or two while her DH looked for a teaching job. Looking back and I have no idea how I thawed out another chicken but I added more food and we had a nice fried chicken dinner. I finally learned as more members were added at the table to fry my chicken until it was crisp and put it on a cookie sheet in the oven on warm while I fried another batch. Then by the time I got to the last batch all of my chicken was done at the same time all the sides were done. The only thing I couldn't cook was Fried steak because the batter always fell off. I guess that is why I prefer eating it when we go out to eat. I would use shake & bake but DH doesn't like it. Now that I'm older and cooking for just 2 of us, I don't want to cook things I can cook faster.

Well I decided that it will be easier to the exercises that I will do on a regular basis rather than pushing to do so many that I won't do. So today I've got all my exercise done. All my movement from here on is extra not counted as exercise. Tomorrow I plan to walk at both Sam's and the local store. So that will probably take the place of my recumbent bike.

Carol Sue I hope you had a good nights sleep and you hear early enough about when your procedure takes place. My prayers will be with you during you procedure and recovery as well.

Fatmad I hope you are doing well today with some quality "Me time".

Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:40 PM   #201  

Decent sleep last night.

My bank debit card was breached and I had to deal with that today. All is well on that front. Funny thing but 15 years ago on the day I came home from the hospital from open heart surgery I got a call that my credit card was breached. That turned out well too but funny that both were centered around surgery.

My procedure tomorrow is at 7 am and I have to be there by 6 am.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:28 PM   #202  

Carol Sue That is wierd sbout your debit card. Glad it got worked out. Glad your procedure will be early so you will have the day to recover. Prayers are with you. Hugs dear friend.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #203  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi Trish: Thinking of Carol today and hoping all goes well. Cardiac Caths are very common now and problems are rare, and they really know what to do with problems, so I think it should be fine. Just hard and scary for her.
I do still do yoga. As will most things, there are modifications one can do to avoid injury or deal with differing abilities. I do relaxation and meditation at bedtime, and one thing is working for me well. I am getting to sleep pretty well most nights, although it's harder without Buddy or DH here. It's just for a few more days, so I will manage. Slept great last night. My fitbit was bugging me though so I took it off, so I don't have sleep data for that good sleep.
I had a long walk with a friend this am. For a while now I have been curtailing the walks, but with the brace and the walking poles, I was able to go for longer so we had a longer visit. I am finding the urban poling poles really good and much better than the cane. I was having wrist issues with the cane, but the poles are higher and have a guard for the hand so the side of my hand takes the weight. Hard to explain, but in any case it's working well and less pain, so I can motor and do longer walks.
I would still like to go to the pool later. I need to wash windows and reorganize closets in the next couple of days. I won't rush myself or overtire myself, so it may be over two or even three days. With winter coming, the closet overhaul is due!

Have a good day, it's sunny and not cold here.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:17 PM   #204  

Hi Fatmad I've had Carol Sue on my mind too I am praying for her recovery to be good. While I'm sure she will come through the procedure fine, I especially pray for her recovery because whenkno are we older our recovery doesn't always go like they tell us. I realize my situation is different, I have to say nothing has gone exactly like my team nurse told me it would. I think it may go that way for younger people, but I think being 80 changes things. I see other around my age getting okay but it wasn't easy for them to get there. I thinking healing from certain situations is much like we have learned with dieting... One size doesn't fit all. I will say that although it has been rough at times, I am sure I haven't had it as bad as others have.

I'm glad you are getting good sleep. I wouldn't be able to sleep well if DH had to leave for a few days even when I was healthy. So I understand what you are saying. DS has 2 dogs and her DH had to leave to help their DSIL get his car towed home and he stayed a few days to help him try to get it running. I was upset that she would be there by herself and she said "I won't be alone. I have my fur babies with me". It also helps that you have things you plan to do to help you pass the time too.

I laughed when you said it is a nice day but not cold, because being in TX, my thought is it is going to be a nice day but not hot. LOL
I've decided to get my exercises done before I leave. I want to break my old attitude that I'm going to walk the store "so that can be my exercise for today". I've decided it is important to do all of it. I've decided not to go in at Sam's club because I definitely want to do the local store because I want to get the chicken and calf liver and I know where it is and DH doesn't. He doesn't ask and if he doesn't happen to see it. he won't get it. I think it is very important to eat it at least once a week to build my blood count. It finally was up to 10.2 and I think I could feel better if I can at least get it to the low end normal of 12.

I better get busy with the exercise before DH gets up because I know I might not do it if I don't do it now.

Have a good day.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:08 PM   #205  

The procedure went well and was done at 9AM.. I did my 2 hours of bed rest in recovery. In in a room for overnight and had lunch and will have dinner. I am able
to walk to the bathroom. DH is here so I held his arm the first time.

It will take time to see if I feel different.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:51 PM   #206  

Carol Sue So good to hear from you and know the procedure is done and now you are resting and recovering. Prayers continue for you as you heal now.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:51 AM   #207  

Thank you for the prayers. I'm finishing up some testing this morning and hopefully going home if all looks good. I can't wait to get home to get some sleep in my own bed without people waking me up to poke me.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-18-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:13 PM   #208  

Carol Sue Thanks for checking in. I pray tests go well and you can go home. I always felt like I could rest and heal better at home. Prayers continue for you quick recovery.

I didn't walk at the store yesterday, I used a regular cart to go into the store from the car, but when I got in the store and felt overwhelmed so used the electric shopping cart. Didn't get everything I wanted to look at but I did get beef and chicken liver. Cooking navy beans with some ham chunks in it for dinner today. I felt terrible when I got home and slept aft.er dinner. Not sure why. At one point I woke up in the bathroom and didn't remember even walking in there, but was fine the rest of the night. In fact, when I went to bed I slept good and only got up twice to go potty.

Hope everybody has a good day.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:15 PM   #209  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol: I am delighted that all is well, and hope the recovery goes well and this heart failure is a thing of the past, or at least more manageable with your meds.

Trish: I am so happy to have those electric carts at the stores. You are just who I have in mind for those things. It's like my accessible parking pass. I want to use my limited energy with walking at the pool, not the parking lot, or same with the mall.
I am able to do my exercises, but need lots of pain meds to get through it, and it takes everything out of me. I guess that means I am not in good shape, so continuing on this path is extra important.

Have a good day everyone
Old 10-18-2023, 04:35 PM   #210  

Home sweet home. My sites hurt and I have a headache. I took Tylenol. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed. No shower til Friday then change the dressings. I'm afraid of that. I ate way too much of that delightful hospital food. It was hot and I didn't have to cook it. Now its just rest.

I hope you feel better too, Mad.
Closed Thread