Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Yes, Trish, for so long I gladly accepted the snacks DH offered and ate what he ate. I have changed, but it is because I gained all this weight and want to lose it and improve my health. I shouldn't have allowed this gain and the development of the diabetes and heart disease. And I would think he would be in favor of these improvements. Doesn't he want a slim and healthy wife? I'm hurt and disappear longer that I don't have his support. I don't want to believe that its intentional but it sure seems that way.

Glad to hear you are back to 179. Hang on, I'm coming!!
Old 11-09-2022, 10:54 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, I don't think he does it intentionally as much as it is just his nature. I'm sorry he seems to have a difficult time learning to support you. I have to say the only way DH ever learned to support me and how I eat didn't happen until he became diabetic. He was never a big eater althought it was mostly junk food, but I have to say he is good about doing what he needs to do to lower his bs. I read somewhere one time that men are better at getting on diet plan and sticking withit when it means their health.

I probably will have a weight gain tomorrow because I haven't been very good with my eating today although I did wait until I was hungry and and still managed to eat within almost 9 hr window.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:35 PM   #33  

Trish, DH truly believes he eats healthy! He thinks sugar is a necessary nutrient. He says he has been a big sugar eater all his life and he's still here at almost 80. He is getting better at not offering me things 60% of the time. He just made a,sandwich for himself at 11:30 at night but did not offer me any. Yay!
Old 11-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #34  

I had a tiny bump up. I'm ok with that. Eating is still good, 1000-1100 calories, 50-60 carbs in a 4 hour window. My body is getting used to the small window. 2 meals, with brunch being smaller than before, just enough to hold me til dinner. I eat a normal dinner, making sure I get enough calories. And I eat things I like. So I'm happy with this plan as long as weight continues to go down even though its slow.

I'm finally tired of hamburgers. I bought some green bell peppers to make stuffed peppers for dinner. For me, that is a complete meal, meat, vegetable and rice,but DH likes something else with it.

I saw a recipe online that I want to make. Chicken fries. You cut boneless breasts in small strips like French fries, dip them in flour, egg, and bread crumbs, the bake in the oven. I like chicken and always look for recipes that DH will eat too.

I went on MFP and entered the ingredients for my stuffed peppers separately, then I checked their entries and found one that came closest to the nutritional info. I had been using one that had 500+ calories but.mine only came to 325. I use 4 oz of ground beef per pepper and about a quarter cup of brown rice, and spices. Pretty basic. I will only be at 800+ calories and 50 GM carb.

I talked to step daughter about Thanksgiving. I'm glad she took over hosting. I am going over early in the morning to help her get the turkey ready for the oven. DH doesn't want her to poison everyone! This is her second time and I will let her do it and just make sure she is doing it right. It is a lot to do and remember with also putting the side dishes together. I don't want her to feel overwhelmed.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-10-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #35  

My weight was up only .2 lbs today so that isn't bad. Today I haven't eaten anything because I wasn't hungry. Today I started using the new Walmart brand bs metter and it show my FBG up to 106. I hope that was the heavy carb snack and not a meter that reads higher than the old one.

Carol Sue The chicken fries sound good. We would like that. I make chicken nuggets by cutting checken tenders into bite sizes and cook them.

We aren't planning anything for Thanksgiving. DS will go to her daughters. We were invited but with the economy as it is we really take that money and save it for other things. BS doesn't have any plans either but I suspect she will go to one of her son's houses. We will stay home. It is nice of you to go help your step daughter with her meal and it is nice that she is willing to take it over.

Pork chops on the menu for today. I will have a salad and DH will have salad and beans. Today will be either a 1 or 2 meal.

Have a good day everybody.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #36  

I will probably cook a small turkey for us at home because we like the leftover turkey with mushroom soup. When I hosted I always cooked 2 small turkeys so there was more dark meat and enough leftovers for everyone to take home. I even bought disposable containers so they could take sides home, too. DH will not eat leftovers from someone else. He is funny.

My peppers turned out good but I only ate a half. I don't know if I will get hungry for that other half later or just throw it out. I am learning to throw things out instead of overeating. Its about time.

​​​​​​When I got my new meter I still had strips from the old one so I tested with both and compared to be sure they were close. They will not be exactly the same. They are still selling the old strips so I'm using both. For some reason I prefer the old one.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:16 AM   #37  

Carol Sue, I prefer the old ones to and wish they would continue them, but whatever. I kept the old meter just in case they decide to. When I made my stuffed bell pepper, I only made half and it was enough for me to eat.

Today I ate main meal around 3:30 pm and then had a few bites of ham and a cheese stick around 11 pm because I was hungry. That gave me approximately 1 meal and a snack 8 hrs apart. I was surprised that I only wanted just/needed a few bites and was satisfied. I do believe my stomach is shrinking. Going to bed now.
Goodnight.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #38  

Trish, I read about stomach shrinking and it says that is a myth. Your stomach can stretch when you overeat but when you don't overeat it will go back to normal size. It won't get smaller. Your fullness could be from one of 2 things. You have been eating less for a while now and your body now is satisfied with less food. Or the ham and cheese is high fat and fat makes you feel full sooner. Higher satiety. This is why they say if you eat eggs and bacon for breakfast you won't get hungry for hours but if you eat cereal or pancakes you will be hungry in a short time. DH has a tendency to eat pancakes or pastry for breakfast and I guess this is why he gets hungry sooner. Then he eats noodles for lunch but gets hungry for dinner soon afterwards. If I didn't cook he wouldn't eat much meat. Just a hamburger once in a while. I used to eat like that after we got married and I honestly miss those foods. Big breakfasts with pancakes or waffles, home fries. Macaroni and cheese. Spaghetti. Sandwiches. I am learning to avoid those foods because of my blood sugar. I still like them, but I don't know if I could ever go back to eating like that. My brain tells me not to do it.

I have been sleeping well recently. It goes in spurts. I have bad nights here and there. I don't take the Magnesium every night because sometimes I get potty issues even if it says it doesn't cause them. I take it if I know I'm not going anywhere the next day.

I don't know why Wal-Mart still sells the old strips. When I buy them they are not out of date. I take the old one with me in the glove compartment when we will be gone for hours. I test several times per day. ​​I also carry meds in a little pill box in my purse in case I need them. I have 1 month until I see the doctor and get blood work. I am really looking forward to seeing my A1c. I still get some higher spikes once in a while but rarely over 200, and other times its under 150 even after meals. It only takes a small amount of carbs to spike. I will be happy if A1c is a low 6.

DH just ate his second meal. I have not had my first!!

​​​​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-11-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #39  

Carol Sue, I'm sure what you've read about the stomach shrinking right. Actually with the food I've been eat such as the beans almosrt everyday, feels me up really fast and if I overdo it, I am extremely uncomfortable. That will actually keep me on track being extra careful not only of what I eat but how much.

I started the probiotic today for my bones and one that is supposed to help me lose weight while healing my digestive track. I researched to see which one was the best and I also have a batch of yogurt in the new yogurt maker that Dr. William Davis recommends. It takes 36 hrs for it to make in order to get the best benefits so it won't be ready until tomorrow just before noon. Most of the reviews I read on these brands said they start having more energy and less depression. You can't take everything so you have to choose what fits you personally. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for DH and me.

Shrimp Scampi on the menu today. I had 2 eggs, 1.5 sl bacon with a little bit of cheese on it. Then I had some fruit. I probably won't need anything this evening to eat but I do have the protein shake figured in just in case I need it. It also helps get my calories up on MFP.

Weight is hung up at 180 but that is okay as I assume my body is just adjusting. FBG on the new meter said 105. I decided to be happy that since it the A1c wll still be 5. DH won't be happy with the new one when he has to switch. Maybe I should buy some of the old ones while they have them so he can keep using them. He gets so upset about the bouncing readings. Some days in 130s and others as low as 112. Of course I know it takes a while for it to settle but he has to learn that for himself just as I did.

Lurkers Have a nice day everybody.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A really good eating day. I did just the 2 meals today and ate nothing after 4 pm. Had some potty issues but I figure that is the probiotics relieving the bloating I've had lately. Hope the scale and the diabetic meter are nice to me tomorrow.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-11-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #40  

Trish I think you should do a test with both of your meters at the same time and see how far off they are. Mine are the same or off a couple points. If your husband still has strips use one of his or buy a small package.

My blood sugar is 99 going to bed. We will see what it is when I get up tomorrow. I hope the scale and meter are good to both of us.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #41  

At 8 AM my blood sugar was 91. No dawn phenomenon! I think this is a first and proves to me that I CAN control my blood sugar with low carb and IF. Nor even very low carb. 45 total grams yesterday and no carbs at dinner. I was hungry for eggs and had scrambled eggs for dinner. Unfortunately my weight is up. I am beginning to understand that so many different things are involved in the number on the scale, not just how much we eat. I just don't understand what it is in this instance. I really felt thin and expected a drop. I'm shocked. Also, of the 4 mg of G that I'm prescribed, yesterday I only took 1 mg at brunch. So, if I ate true low carb I probably would not need the G at all but I don't think I could stay that low carb long term. I will not tell my doctor that I take less meds sometimes because I don't want him to reduce my dose. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I see the doctor on Dec 15.

Yesterday I read of a man who had really cut back on his eating but still gained weight. He explained this to his doctor who didn't believe him and doubted that he stayed on his diet. Eventually he was diagnosed with a serious medical condition that caused his body to retain 27 lbs of fluid. But the diagnosis came too late and he died 18 months later.

I'm reading a book called Body of Truth. It is a book no dieter wants to read. It says that dieting does not work. We are obsessed with how our bodies look and it should not matter. We should accept our bodies. No one, or most dieters, will not maintain the loss for more than a few years. I've heard all this before, but so far I'm not going to stop trying., even if all I accomplish is to maintain what I've already lost. I don't know if IF is actually considered dieting, compared to calorie restriction.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-12-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #42  

Carol Sue we are both doing so much better so maybe we will get a nice whoosh soon. The fact that your FBG is so much better is a good sign that you are doing things right for you. If I remember correctly the weight loss did slow down on me when my FBG got lower. I always thought it would come down better when I got my bs controlled but it didn't.

I thought about using one of DH strips to compare reading with my old meter to the new meter. Io need to know if there is a difference or if it really is reading higher. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Even with all we've read and learned I still don't understand how all this bs/weight loss works either. All the books that say diets don't work or have ways of eating without dieting to lose weight usually mess me up so I don't buy into them any more. I think I need some form of guide even though I change them or tweak them to fit my lifestyle. I neede the guideline for self-discipline.

This morning my weight was back down to 179.4. I thought it was a new low but when I checked on my WI last week on MFP, I found that is what I weighed last week. So with all the bouncing around this past week, I remained the same after all. FBG was 108. I only had 2 meals and I drink only 3 c coffee, 1 8 oz glass of 2% milk and then only water besides that each day. Most days last week my calories didn't even get up to 1000 and only one day calories got up almost to 1500. No cold drinks or tea. Not sure what that is all about. Calories are staying low with eating only 1 or 2 meals. Carbs seem to run between 60 g to 100 g making net carbs less than 100.

So sad about the man who died complaining about how he was not losing though eating very little, but doc didn't believe him. If he had listened he might have been able to help him. I've my thoughts about those kind of doctor's because I've had 2 like that in my life. The only thing I have to say about that is that is when you need a new doctor.

I had only 2 c coffee and 2 boiled eggs today. Just not that hungry plus had a busy morning. I've been hungry for chicken and dumplings so we are having that for dinner today. DH doesn't like it the way I make them with Bisquick as he prefers Cracker Barrels, but it is so much easier to make them this way and I like them. I guess I could make them like DH#2's grandmother did with a can of biscuits cut up in the soup. I think it is the texture of the drop dumplings that I like best so I figure he can endure what I like once in a while. I also might try having the protein shake this evening because I am not getting as much protein as I used to because I just am not hungry. I am wondering if the protein is need to lower my FBG. Testing the FBG will probably tell me.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #43  

Trish, my mother made the drop dumplings with Bisquick and I love them but they are too many carbs for me and I would overeat them. She also made the flat rolled out dumplings and I liked them too. I think I just love anything made with dough. I'm better off if I just eat as low carb as I can and only eat the carbs DH wants. Like today, he wanted pizza from his favorite place. It is good but has a thick crust. I only ate 1 slice and took my full dose of G. Pizza is one of the things that really spikes my blood sugar. Right now my blood sugar is 85. I don't know if the meds kept it from spiking or if this is one of the times that my blood sugar waits 4 hours to spike. I will have to watch it closely.

I'm glad you are back down to 179. I understand what this book is saying about dieting not working but I think the way we lost very slowly, will keep us from regaining. Neither of us has shown any sign of going back to 200. A bounce up in not a regain in my opinion. I also think its ok to eat below 1000 calories if you are not hungry. Eating when not hungry is what got me where I am. I am hoping that my body gets used to this 4-5 hour window. This feel it keeps me from overeating.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #44  

Carol Sue, I agree that eating when your not hungry is a bad thing to do. I wouldn't even track my food but I want to be able to be sure I'm not overeating my calories. I agree with you that I don't think we will gain back the weight we have lost slowly. I didn't gain weight either until I started eating more food than I was used to eating. When I started eating "normal" as they called it, I started gaining weight, My Mama never made dumplings or spagghetti or anything like that. Not even mack and cheese. So when I started eating other places where people had it I was hooked really quick. I had some left over dumplings and was going to throw it out so I wouldn't eat any more, but DH said he would eat it because it was good. Go figure, I didn't think he liked the way I made it. His FBG was 116. He is eating beans everyday but I can't do that. So my higher reading might be me. I hope it is the low protein and not the meter.

I did 7 hr eating window and ended the day with the protein shake to see if it helps for me to have more protein. For today I had 1099 calories, 78 net gram carbs, 71 g protein, if some of the counts are right on MFP.

It is cold here and supposed to freeze tonight and tomorrow night. Man we just went straight from hot to cold almost instantly. I am bundled up in my snuggie.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:43 PM   #45  

Trish, I looked up Cracker Barrel dumplings and Bisquick dumplings and they are both the way I remember from my childhood. My mouth is watering. Maybe I can make them as a reward when I reach 150 lbs! I had forgotten about them.

My blood sugar went up to 114 but now its down to 107. The G prevented a higher spike. It will probably be lower by bedtime but I have to be careful it doesn't go too low overnight.
Closed Thread