Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #436  

S/C/G: 221/183.2/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, we are definitely twins. I also want to know "why" I'm doing what I'm doing. Example, I like knowing that when I eat berries that they keep my arteries clean. Oatmeal helps keep me have good cholesterol. If I can do it with what I eat,
then I avoid having side effects that comes with medications.

Sounds like DH is getting the message about how you want to eat. There is hope for him after all.

I am back to my exercises again only doing it more cafefully. I actually did 20 minutes on the bike and I think the other exercises I combined probably comes to 30 minutes. I am doing to try doing them 5 days this week because I think it will help my joints especially knees. I won't be doing loads of exercise either. I remember hearing Joyce Meyer who is my age, say that one day she got on her knees for example of something she was teaching at one of her meetings years ago and couldn't get back up. Her DH and someone else had to help her get up. So she got a trainer and was able to recover so she could get up of the floor. Years later she said that one day she asked her trainer if she would be able to keep doing all these exercises when she was older and he said no. So I agree that most of what he says especially about exercise I could probably do even in my early 60s, but could never do now. I am not sure how much longer this will extend my life, but I want quality so I don't ever have to move into a nursing home.

I think this book has also answered the question of people like DH who is a thin diabetic. DH grew up eating candy because his Mother was a chocoholic. Although she was never over weight, I think she allowed him to eat junk food because that was all he would eat. He would still eat that way if it wasn't for his blood sugar. I think he is going to give up on KFC because he saw an ad last night for Church's chicken which is next door to local store and he said to me, that we could get a meal for the 2 of us there for $9 instead $20 at KFC.

Today I will cook shrimp scampi and drain mine and add it to my salad and he can have the scampi. Neither of us eat the noodles with it. He eats his with the butter sauce, but then he isn't trying to lose weight.

Wonder how things went for Fatmad's meeting?

Have a great day.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #437  

S/C/G: 217/185/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I ate a lot of candy as a kid. I used to steal money out of my mother's purse to buy candy til I got caught.

DH and his brothers grew up eating tons of baked goods. Their mother didn't care as long as they were not hungry. I know DH and 2 of his brothers still eat like that but none are diabetic. I think there's more to it than just eating sweets. If your body is working properly it can handle the sugar. Something goes wrong. I was not a big sweet eater as an adult but I was an overeater at meals. I gained weight and it brought the diabetes with it.

We went to the meat store today because ground beef was on sale. I bought 3 big packages and a small roast. I want to make stuffed cabbage rolls later this week.

Tomorrow I go for blood work at 8:10 AM. Yikes! DH has to get up at 6 to put the garbage out so he said get an early appointment. I liked it better when I could just walk in. Its going to be a very long day. He will want to go for breakfast afterwards so I will just get oatmeal. Then we will go to Wal-Mart then to Goodwill.

I finished the book and I'm going to read it again. I should probably take notes of the things I want to remember.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:38 AM   #438  

Carol Sue, I hope you have a good report on your blood work.

I was never a sweet eater until I married and started making goodies for 3 kids. Sweets still aren't a big deal for me one way or the other but I still could sit and eat a bag of chips or pretzels. I thought it was interesting that he says thpat is because I'm not eating enough sodium. When I was growing up Mama didn't cook much with it so I guess that is why we craved salty foods.

Another good day. 2 meals within 5 hrs. I ate less than 1100 calories.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:37 AM   #439  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone: 158 today. Waist is 35 inches. FBS is 6.2 and yes, I have been eating too many carbs and too much sugar. Yesterday I was able to manage a fast, first time in a week.
My plan for the summer is more maintenance than loss, and fasting once a week will do, if I can stay on plan the rest of the time.
Carol, I love the appointments at the lab. No more long line ups and waiting. I have been taking my neighbour for her appointments there as well, and it makes it much easier for dealing with a frail, elderly person with a walker etc if we get served faster. Maybe you did not have such long line ups at your labs, but it was a big issue for me, especially when working and having limited time, and going in fasting and waiting a long time. But I get that having to "make" and be on time for appointments is a pain.
Just doing some laundry today. Tomorrow we leave for the north and we plan to be at the cottage for most of the summer. We will come home more for occasion medical appointments etc. Right now I don't plan to be home until July 8. Then I come for two days before I leave for my week in Quebec to see relatives. Then back to the cottage until late August unless there is a reason to be here.

Trish: while its realistic to "know" you won't be able to do all your exercises for ever, if you keep doing them regularly, you may never completely lose the ability. My father was able to walk a good distance until his heart really gave out. And he could do his Tai Chi exercises to near the end as well. I don't practice yoga as much as I "should" but I do some bits of practice most days and am still pretty flexible and have good balance. The strength moves I need to do more of those...
So keep on doing what you can. If you live as long as your father you have many years ahead of you and may they be as healthy as possible.

Have a good summer friends, I will check in periodically.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #440  

Lab visit went well. I was early and there were only a couple people there. One man didn't have an appointment but they were able to fit him in. Mad, I used to wait until after 9_am to go and it wasn't crowded. It was always busy early with people who had to go to work. One time I went at 3 and the nurse questioned if I fasted. She didn't know I was used to it. I ate a big breakfast because I do that after I get labs done. Oatmeal, eggs, sausage and a biscuit. I tracked it as half a biscuit because they are making them smaller lately.

One thing about exercise. once I start doing it and get used to it I know I will be able to do more for a longer time period. Right now, anything is better than sitting in a chair. Its never a good idea to give up because you can't do what's suggested. Do your best, that's all. I have never tried Tai Chi or Yoga. The next door neighbor was an instructor til she had kids. I can't do anything on the floor. I can tell how quickly my mobility has gone down hill in the past few years.

We went to Wal-Mart and got a few things. They were out of frozen broccoli for the second time. I bought a huge bag for $6 and divided it in freezer bags. That will work. We both love broccoli and I don't want to be out of it.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #441  

Fatmad, You seem to be doing very well maintaining and I've heard that it is good to do that from time to time so that when you do get back on diet plan, you will be able to lose. I think Carol Sue mentioned reading that in the book we are reading.

I also agree with you about the exercising. I want to keep exercising. I remember when Daddy wouldn't or couldn't exercise any more. I think he just got tired and didn't care any more. I have days I don't want to do them but I am trying to remain self-disciplined and do it any way. I may not do a lot of repetians but I do a lot just to keep working the muscles to keep them moving.

Carol Sue, we went to 2 of the local stores and could only get 1 pkg frozen cauliflower and we even went to the one across from Sam's club and they had none at all. While I was there, I bought a pkg of 3 steaks that DH and I will get 3 meals out of and a pkg of pork chops which I'll probably get at least 4 maybe 5 meals from. I've been hungry for a beef roast so DH found a nice small one. The prices for the meat wasn't too bad when I think of the meals I will get out of them, but I was amazed at how much fruit and veggies are now.

Weight seems to be bouncing between 181.2 and 181.8 these days. FBG was 110 this morning and has been slowly rising so I think my body doesn't like me eating in the evening. So I will plan to fast the rest of today and eat brunch and dinner tomorrow. I thenk 2 does of OMAD and the other 5 days of 2MAD would probably be the best way for me to go. DH was so thrilled today when he checked his FBG and it was 113. I am so proud of him.

I need a nap before I have to do laundry tonight. Enjoy your summer activities Fatmad.

Hope everybody else has a great day.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #442  

This morning my weight was up to 187.2. I'm not surprised after how I ate yesterday. But I will be back on plan today. I fluctuate between 188 and 185. Just can't get lower. This is the way it is,for me, then I drop down.

Trish,,you and DH are doing great. I know his wake/sleep cycle is late but that's what his body is used to.

I have always felt that night eating was bad but others say it doesn't matter. I know its bad for me. Many people say it doesn't matter when you eat. But I have heard that Insulin Is more sensitive early in the day. It seems this might apply to you, too, as your morning blood sugar is higher if you eat at night. Do you sleep better if you eat at night? What about the scale?

Today is supposed to be very hot and humid, in the 90s. We get very few days like this. It was hot yesterday too and DH did not sit out.

This is a quote from the book that really spoke to me.

"Different foods (and the calories they provide) have different effects on our hormones, satiety, fat storing/burning genes, metabolic rate, gut health, and a lot more."

This is why counting calories isn't best for weight loss. You would definitely lose if you ate 600 calories per day. But not many can continue that long term, and it would certainly not provide the nutrients your body needs. Some just want weight loss and don't care about nutrients. I used to eat whatever I wanted and just stop when I reached a certain calorie count. It,seems there's so much more to it. Its really hard to know if you are getting all the needed nutrients.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-15-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:08 PM   #443  

Weight bounced up to 182.8 this morning and FBG 104. I did eat a few PB crackers and berries last evening. We ended up with KFC and I got the tenders. I have been eating a serving of the cole slaw DH loves from there and I'm sure that has sugar. I think maybe I shouldn't eat it.

I had eggs, bacon and a pinch of shredded Parmessan cheese for taste with a c of decaf coffee. I am experiencing a headache because of the lack of caffeine. The plan today is half a of NY steak strip with salad and a veggie plus my keto ice cream bar. I also have a Premier shake planned for later so will be my 2 meals and a snack and go back to eating within a 6 hr eating window.

Carol Sue, I'm not sure if I sleep better eating at night or not because of the pain I have been experiencing lately. I know when I fast and eat really low carb that I do have a difficult time getting to sleep.

I'm finally at Chapter 6 in the book. Carol Sue, concerning the quote, that might be why my doctor in SC and the doctor I have now both told me that 1200 calories a day was too low. But we have been told all our lives to eat low calorie even MFP says no lower than 1000 and recommends 1200.

I'm going to try to get rid of this headache before I have to cook dinner. Hope to read Chapter 6 of the book too.

Have a good day everybody.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:07 PM   #444  

I love Cole slaw but I don't like all Cole slaw. If it is too soupy or has too much vinegar I don't like it. I never think to make it at home but when I do I don't use sugar.

I overate again today. It wasn't too many calories but too many carbs and sugar. I ate some pudding DH made. And some ice cream, and a sandwich with a bun. I'm out of control.

This m sorry your still having pain. I hope it goes away. My foot was hurting today, every step I took hurt. But it went away.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:26 AM   #445  

Carol Sue, I am wondering if the pain we are feeling is the grain/wheat bread and some of the other carbs. Maybe it causes the inflammation. I'm going to try to not eat any bread for a while to see if it helps.

I'm sorry you feel out of control with your eating. I did have a good day although I did have the 2 meals and a shake and I think I ended up with more of a 7 hr eating window than 6 because I watied until I was hungry. I really don't want to eat just to fit a plan.

Here's hoping for a good nights sleep.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #446  

Trish I think I am eating less bread than before so I'm not sure that's causing my pain. My pain doesn't last long when I get it. An hour or so. I've been taking very few pain meds.

I got my lab results. I wanted my A1c below 7 and its 6.9. That is below 7. I want it low 6, so I have more work to do. Triglycerides are still high. Maybe exercise will help if I can get up off my butt. I will get out my records from last time and compare.

I made cabbage rolls and they are outside cooking in the electric roaster. DH helped.

The cabbage rolls taste good but they are too dry. I didn't put enough tomato sauce in them. Step daughter is stopping to get some on her way home from work.

I checked my lab results from last time. My triglycerides dropped from 600+ to 300+ just by taking fish oil. They need to be lower though. I think exercise will help with that. I still have the kidney issues. Online it says to eat less protein, more vegetables, drink lots of water.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-16-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #447  

Carol Sue. 6.9 is still good and encouraging. Good to see the triglycerides come dow is good too. I'm not eating much bread either but I am going to be more alert when I do eat it. Having read more in the book. I'm not too sure it is the wheat as it is all the stuff that they add to it.

I told DH yesterday that it is hard to find food that doesn't have things added to it lately. Canned soups has some flour in it and you can't find flour that isn't enriched with something. Some of the vitamins I take may be good and may not be because they may be synthetic instead of natural. And on and on it goes. So I think we just have to do the best we can.

Weight was 182 so maybe it will be back down to 181 tomorrow. I can only hope. DH got up before I ate breakfast to work on my pc because he is having to put some things on mine that won't go on his new computer. We are going to have to have a new label maker that will work on his pc because this one won't go on Windows 11. However, I have to say that many times I need a label printed out and always have to wait for him to get up and do. Now I can do it myself. I don't want to buy anything else until I get this and his new one paid for. We always pay credit cards in full each month and this is going to be higher this month.

I got up today with no pain. One thing I think causes the pain is the fact that we get too many Omega 6 in our food. Since he says we do need some Omega 6, I think I need to eat less foods that have it and eat a little more Omega 3 foods. Supposedly that would get rid of or at least reduce the inflammation in my body. I told DS about this book. I know she doesn't like to read, but I told her that I think her DD would enjoy reading it because she is going into the medical field. I'm not sure if she is just going for being a RN or Physicians Assistant. I told her there is good info she would enjoy learning.

Time for a nap. Have a nice evening.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #448  

Trish, last time my A1c was 7.7 so it came down .8. I am glad, but I want better. Tomorrow is my doctor's appointment but we have nothing in particular to discuss. I have my own plans for improving my numbers. I'm not sure about the kidney issues. They are in the elevated zone not the danger zone. I don't want more meds. Its up to me to make healthy lifestyle changes. I know that weight loss would help in all cases.

I used to have at least one slice of toast with my eggs each day but I rarely have that now. I try to avoid it when we eat out and I do that half of the time. I do love bread and rolls of all kinds but I know the bad effects it has on my health so that is becoming more important to me. What have to decide what I want more.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:01 PM   #449  

Carol Sue, that is exactly where I am concerning my diet etc. I'm reading this book and thinking about what I am willing to change and what I don't want to change. Some things I will have to change if I want to get rid of the pain and live pain free. This book seems to believe that besides sugar that too much Omega 6 and all enriched and fortified grains are what causes inflammation and most illness. At the same time he says that we need some Omega 6 but it needs to be balanc
ed with Omega 3. Not really sure how to balance it, but I think eating a small amount of Omega 6 along with the Omega 3 is going to be the key. At least that is the way I understand it.

I did like seeing a pattern of sorts of low fat, moderate fat and high fat diets. I chose the moderate fat and I will be watching closely the kind of fats that I use. I've started using ACV/EVOO in my salad. Then when I get to the end of my salad, I drink the liquid. I also think from what he says in the book, these stalls are not not a bad thing as long as we don't go wild.

What do you think about what his going off plan for 1 or 2 weeks so your body doesn't get used to the calories we are eating?

I did manage a 4 hr eating window today. Calories are higher lately with the EVOO so it will be interesting to see if I gain, lose or maintain.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #450  

Trish, are you having trouble getting to this thread? I am. The forum comes up but when I click on the thread I get a blank page. It takes a long time and its annoying. My other sites are working fine.

I understand what he is saying about going off plan because I think that lets your body accept the new setpoint. The problem I have with it is I lose so slowly that I hate the thought of doing it on purpose. Sometimes if I go off plan I have trouble getting back on.

DH went to bed already and I'm tired, too.
Closed Thread