Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #421  

S/C/G: 221/183.2/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, I have days when I want to sleep all day and I'm not really sure why. However, I did notice that Tuesday after hitting 2 stores that I slept off & on all afternoon into the evening. Plus I slept all night that night and didn't really want to get up Wednesday. I think for me after staying home so much during pandemic was not good for me because I get tired so easy now. I need to exercise more but have no energy to do it. Now with gasoline being so high and with high temps of expected 101 today and 105 on Saturday and Sunday is helping either. DH says he needs to mow the lawn and I hope he will get it done before the expected record highs hit. They are saying we may have a new heat index record of 109.

Weight was 181.2 so thankful for that. Not tracking right now because I eat pretty much the same everyday. I do eat brunch and main meal and a snack and just try to stay within 8 hr eating window although I think it was more like 9 yesterday. Since we didn't have KFC, I've got chicken tenders with Cream of Chicken soup cooking in the crockpot.

Listened to Dr. Berry and Dr. Berg on drinking ACV for weight loss. I noticed that although the research seems to say taking it before a meal, Dr. Berg says take 2 tsp with water after and also drink 2 tsp in water before going to bed. I was going to start drinking it before bed, but forgot to. I think Dr. Berry talked about it helping the body so that you don't have edema. So I am thinking that if I drink it that I would never have to take a fluid pill. I also read it helps get rid of belly fat. I would love that. The more I read/listen to these 2 doctors, the more I want to do lower carb, but haven't done very well with that so far. Like you Carol Sue, I wonder, "How bad do I really want this?"

Hope everybody has a nice day.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #422  

S/C/G: 217/185/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I was listening to the radio overnight and this guy was broadcasting from Texas. He said they were forecast to have 10 days over 100 degrees. I don't know what part of TX. My BIL lives in NV. He said their dam has dried up and they aren't getting any rain, so no water. We get plenty of rain here.

I've been reading about sarcopenia. I NEED to get back to exercising. It said this is the main reason why the elderly end up in nursing homes because they can no longer take care of themselves. I need to change this now while I still can.

I ate scrambled eggs for brunch. We have no more bacon and I won't buy it again til next week. I like it now but don't want it every day. I want salmon for dinner but that depends on DH.

I like to stay home. I always have even before the pandemic. DH always wants to go.

I had grilled salmon and green bean mix for dinner. Yummy!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-10-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:22 AM   #423  

Carol Sue, I live in what is called the heart of TX near Waco. The salmon sounds good. I don't think I have any right now. I will have to look.

I had a pretty good eating day within about 7 1/2 hr eating window. My fasting hrs are clean of late.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:34 AM   #424  

Finally got on the scale. 186.4, and the sound worked. I don't know what's up with it.

I have some salmon and I want to cook it but DH doesn't like it when I make it. He says it isn't done but it is. The restaurants put some kind of seasoning on it that makes it look dark. I have learned to order it without seasoning. I like to taste what I'm eating without seasoning except for salt and pepper. One time I asked a server at Texas Roadhouse what kind of seasoning was used and he said "Texas Roadhouse seasoning" with a smirk on his face. So they aren't telling. Also I like it skin on and let the skin get crispy but DH likes it skinless. Once the skin gets,crispy I can easily pull it off. I like it flaky.

I'm getting my blood work done early Tuesday morning. The lab is next door to Bob Evans so we will go for breakfast. DH says that's because I have to fast for blood work. Doesn't bother me! Then my doctors appointment is Friday. I'm disappointed I did not make more progress but at least I'm firmly in the 180s. There's always next time.

I've been doing some leg exercises and I can tell I'm walking a little better. By next summer I want to be able to walk around my yard. Maybe even by fall. I have trouble because the ground is uneven. I never thought I would be like this. When I was working back in 2010 I walked fine. I don't know when this happened, so gradually I didn't notice. I want my mobility back. Its not too late. Sitting did this. I never realized that sitting was so bad even though they say it is. Sitting just feels natural. I used to exercise regularly. Why did I stop? In my youth I danced a couple nights a week. It seems that a few years ago I could just get up from my chair and walk. Now I have to stand up and get my bearings before I take a step.

DH bought a vibration platform and he uses it for a few minutes daily. He says it helps his legs. He wants me to try it but I know he will turn it really fast then laugh about it so I never tried it. Now I read online that vibration therapy is very good conditioning for the elderly. So I am going to try it but I will make sure he can't turn it up fast. I don't understand how it helps.

Today is Saturday. I might make sausage in the slow cooker.

Another thing I want to try is making cauliflower baked like mac and cheese. I think DH will eat that as a side for a change.

I'm reading another book. It is The Obesity Fix by Dr James Denicolantonio. He posts occasionally on Twitter. I rarely pay for a book because I'm afraid I will pay for a book and I won't like it. I've never read any of his other books but this one intrigued me. Chapter one was blah. But chapter two held my attention. It explains why reducing calories is not the way to lose weight, and even though I've heard this all before it is explained in a way that I understand. Its an A-hah moment. I get it now. I don't know what the rest of the book is going to be like but I can recommend it based on Chapter 2.

​​​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-11-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #425  

Carol Sue, I ordered the book on my kindle so I can read it while using the bike as I really need to use it more. I looked up sarcopenis because I've never heard of it, but I was glad to know that it can be reversed so I am going to really work at it and I have to say that I will have to make myself do it until I get used to it again. I remember when Daddy just wouldn't push himself any more. In fact, the therapist told me he thought Daddy could have walked with the walker but he was just so afraid of falling. I know I have that fear but I also know that with prayer that it can be overcome. So I will work at it. DS said she thinks us wanting to sleep all the time is because we don't move around enough. Well, I just can't allow myself to do that any more.

I usually don't exercise on Saturday but I am doing them today. I didn't sleep good last night because I woke up with pain. I had a terrible pain hit my big toe on right foot when it touched the cover. I finally found a position that was comfortable and Thank God the pain was soon gone. I'm not sure how in the world that I will do it, but I think I'm going to have to go lower carb again because it may be the only way to get rid of the inflammation. I didn't drink milk yesterday. I'm hoping I can keep my splash of nondairy creamer, but Dr. Berry talked about it on a YouTube video I saw of his. He says we can be allergic to the whey in it. So I am going to start taking out something each week to see if things improve or not.

We are having pizza today and not sure how that will affect me. Weight seems to be stuck at 181 lb range. 181.6 again today. I will enjoy seeing what this book says because my big problem is eating more calories and low carb many times is much more calories such as EVOO is 120 calories for 1 T. These are things that hold me back.

Have a good day.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #426  

Trish, in reading this book, especially chapter 2 you will find that the calorie count doesn't matter. Its the nutrient content of the food that matters. I've heard this many times and you have too. It never made sense to me until the way he explains it. There are so many things that go on in our bodies that affect weight gain or loss. It give meaning to One Size Does Not Fit All. One thing he said that stuck in my mind is that when healthy weight people overeat their body causes them to move more to burn those extra calories. This feature does not happen in overweight people.

I am now reading Chapter 4 where he explains how to get rid of visceral fat. Visceral fat is my biggest problem,,weight wise and health wise. A few things help, but the main one is exercise. He says burning visceral fat requires 10 hours of aerobic exercise per week! That's a lot! I hope he is wrong. I can honestly say I will not be doing 10 hours per week. But I will do more than I do now.

I hope you enjoy this book and learn from it.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #427  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Trish, in reading this book, especially chapter 2 you will find that the calorie count doesn't matter. Its the nutrient content of the food that matters. I've heard this many times and you have too. It never made sense to me until the way he explains it. There are so many things that go on in our bodies that affect weight gain or loss. It give meaning to One Size Does Not Fit All. One thing he said that stuck in my mind is that when healthy weight people overeat their body causes them to move more to burn those extra calories. This feature does not happen in overweight people.

I am now reading Chapter 4 where he explains how to get rid of visceral fat. Visceral fat is my biggest problem,,weight wise and health wise. A few things help, but the main one is exercise. He says burning visceral fat requires 10 hours of aerobic exercise per week! That's a lot! I hope he is wrong. I can honestly say I will not be doing 10 hours per week. But I will do more than I do now.

I hope you enjoy this book and learn from it.
Carol Sue, this is the same doctor who wrote The Salt Fix which I used to have but may have read it for free so not sure I still have it. He is good and usually eashy to follow once you get through the explanations of how we got here which we have read before by Dr.Fung and others.Thanks for the heads up. I can say at my age I won't be doing 10 hrs a week of exercises either.
Old 06-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #428  

Trish, I knew he has other books but never read them. You know I don't buy many books. But I like the things he posts on Twitter ans,decided to try this one. I'm glad I did.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #429  

I've just got through Chapter 1 and really enjoyed it so far. I am looking forward to all the other things he has to tell us.

Carol Sue, when I read about your blood work being done next to Bob Evans, I had to laugh. It reminded me of a day about 30 yrs ago, when I went to this diet doctor who gave me a glucose tolerance test. I drank the glucose and then he tested me throughout the morning. I got so nervous and misrerable from all that glucose that I was tempted to run out and go next door to our favorite fast food fried chicken place and get a piece of chicken hoping it would counteract it. The only thing that kept me from leaving was I wanted the results and I knew that when I was over it, I would never have it done again. Amazingly, I still didn't get the chicken when test was over and went home.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-11-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:35 PM   #430  

Thats funny about the glucose test. I've never had one. My friend had one and she fell asleep from all the glucose. Sugar coma.

I'm glad you like the book. I'm still on Chapter 4.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:33 PM   #431  

This has been a really good day for me. I did all my exercises that I wanted to do and had a 4 hr eating window.

I am on chapter 2 and stopped reading because it is difficult to concentrate with the tv on. I won't know until I read the diet plan he suggests, but so far it sounds like he would approve of intuitive eating. I look forward to reading more tomorrow.

Hope we will both be able to sleep tonight.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #432  

I slept very well and woke up ready to get up a little after 8am. I realized today that I basically have not lost any weight this morning. My weight was 181.4 on June 1st and it is the same this morning. The weight has fluctuated but no reals gain or losses. I will take that as a good thing.

Looking forward to reading more in my book today to see what he suggests.

Hope everyone has a blessed.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #433  

Trish, I don't think he suggests an actual diet plan,per se. Not the way we are accustomed to in other books. He explains how things work in our bodies and things that make a difference. Rather than saying stay away from sugar he explains,what sugar does. I am still on chapter 4 so I could be wrong. I tried to read today but I kept dozing off. I got up really early and I'm tired. He does mention eat to 80% full. And that would go along with IE. Most of the doctors who post on Twitter say to not eat if not hungry.

I had scrambled eggs around 11 and no plans for dinner. I haven't felt like cooking lately. I wish DH would just fend for himself.

We went to Texas Roadhouse. I told DH it would be crowded but we went early. The parking lot was full but everyone was seated so we walked in and got seated right away. I had salmon with vegetables and a sweet potato. I love salmon.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-12-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:30 AM   #434  

I did a 5 hr eating window today. I am starting chapter 4 of the book. From what I've read so far, I'm thinking stalls are times when our body is adjusting so we can lose more. Hard to understand all that he is saying because I don't really understand all the medical terms but it makes me think as we lose our body is getting healthier and has to adjust before it can function for more weight loss. So being at a certain weight for any length of time is a good thing not bad.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #435  

I have trouble with a lot of the terminology too and find some chapters apply to me more than others. But I'm learning a few things that I never understood before. I'm one who can't just be told to do something, I like to know why.

Yesterday morning, DH made pancakes for himself around 9 am. He didn't make any extra. He had extra batter in a bowl but he didnt ask if I wanted any, and after a,while he threw it away. Yay!! Later on when I decided I wanted my scrambled eggs he made them for me. Its 9:30 and he hasn't cooked yet but his brother is down in the garage with him so he will probably cook after he leaves. His brother won't come upstairs because he is afraid of the dog.All he does is bark. If he came more often Rusty would get used to him like he did step daughter and her husband. He allows them to pet him.

I'm in Chapter 7 and he's getting into more of what you're looking for Trish. I skimmed thru Chapter 6 because it didn't interest me. I'm having trouble with him talking about calories because earlier he seemed like we shouldn't count calories. He really does good at explaining a stall. Your body is getting used to a new set point. He even says to take a break between losing. He mentions that as you lose your body requires fewer calories and you won't lose on the same calories. The trick is to become more active.. He starts to discuss different plans like LC, low fat, IF. Basically its eat less move more. He just explains it in a different way.

Now he's talking about exercise. We have to keep in mind that this book is probably geared toward younger people. Being 76 and out of shape I can honestly say that I am not going to do high intensity resistance training. At this point, any exercise I do is going to be an improvement over what I'm doing now. I guess its possible that there are people in their 70s who have been exercising like this all along and they can do this. But that's not me.

There was this guy who worked with step son who was my age and he exercised regularly. Very muscular and thin. We had our heart surgeries around the same time and we discussed it. Well he has since passed away. So maybe he had a better quality of life, but it didn't extend his lifespan. I don't remember what he died from.

I can only do the best I can, but this book is making me understand everything better.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-13-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Closed Thread