Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:17 AM   #391  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, I know what you mean. I don't think I can say that I actually follow any real plan although I try to keep my calories less than 1500 as much as possible. I saw somewhere that most people who just count calories eat a lot more carbs than I would ever eat these days even if I have a high carb day it would never be more than 150 g. That is low according to some people.

I would much rather be able to eat whatever I really am hungry for whenever I want it but try to still keep calories and carbs as low as possible. I think that it is possible to do that and lose weight as long as I do it doing it with IF and keep my eating window between 4 to 6 hrs. I will lose weight slowly but I'm decided slow and steady is best at my age.

I think you will finally be successful working out your plan inspite of DH, but it will take practice, but it will come. It will be a struggle but it will finally work.

I ended up with a 5 hr eating window today. I just hope I can continue doing this. I know I could slip up at anytime, but I too hope that eventually this will become a way of life for me.

Goodnight.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Weight stayed the same today.

Trish, I copied this,from online.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that carbohydrates make up 45 to 65 percent of your total daily calories. So, if you get 2,000 calories a day, between 900 and 1,300 calories should be from carbohydrates. That translates to between 225 and 325 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Now, I know they are including fruit and vegetable carbs, not junk food like baked goods and salty snacks. But I would not feel like I was eating healthy eating that many carbs, or 2000 calories for that matter.

Since I have been a compulsive over eater for so long, I want to be a normal eater. This brings to mind my former coworker who was and still is thin. She eats when hungry but more importantly, stops when satisfied. She is never hungry in the morning so never eats until lunch. She is lucky that her husband works second shift so she doesn't cook dinner. She feeds her kids but doesn't always eat dinner herself if she isn't hungry. She might have had a big lunch. She doesn't own a scale. Only gets weighed at her annual check up. Eats whatever she wants with no regard to calories or carbs. One day her pants got baggy so she went shopping and realized she went down a size. Her life doesn't evolve around food. This is how I want to be.

Having said all that, yesterday was not the answer for me. I ate in a 4 hour window from 4-8. That is too much late eating for me. Noon to 4 is best for me so I go to bed on an empty stomach. Others may be able to do that but we are all different. I don't want to give up my eggs. They are a big part of my protein and healthy fat, plus I like them and feel sated when I eat them. I don't get hungry until 11-12 these days and that's what I want for my first meal. Dinner can be anything, as long as I keep my carbs low enough to control my blood sugar. If I lose weight that should help with bloodwork results.

So I have found the best eating plan for me. I think if I can be left to make my own decisions I can stop my compulsive over eating. I can only take it one day at a time and try to get DH to cooperate. What and when I eat should not be of concern to him.

I still have my Egg Mcmuffin from yesterday so I will heat it up for my breakfast when I'm ready. Funny, but he hasn't eaten yet either. I proved my point yesterday and he hadn't said a word.

I don't know why my font is so small on this site. I can't figure out how to fix that and make it bigger. The one paragraph above was bigger but I don't know why.

I might have just fixed it in settings on my tablet.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-03-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #393  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI friends: I am either 156 or 155 today. When I got up it said 155, but I was surprised to drop a pound overnight and tried again and was back to 156.
Either way, that is just fine. Having some friends over for wine and cheese tonight, so it will likely be higher over the weekend. I will wait until Monday to weigh again. Treats tonight, and less for a couple of days after that.
I am doing ok with not fasting beyond 22 hours, which is basically what OMAD is. Not doing longer fasts right now. I was feeling too deprived and unhappy, so for two weeks now I have been doing either 2MAD or OMAD, and mostly low carb. Its doing fine for now, and I can work at losing later. Perhaps when DH has his dental surgery and is on a liquid diet for a couple of days.
Just bought some GF pretzels to have tonight with the snacks, and am trying them for lunch before serving to others. They are quite good. Its a big bag from Costco, so I am going to repackage many of them into ziplock bags so they can go to the cottage when we go up. That should work well.
Carol: it seems to me that you do well with IF and normal eating. You don't need the low carb, you just need for DH not to stick food in front of you when you are not hungry!
I don't think there is a lot of science behind food guide recommendations. We know we need a certain amount of protein. But it was not so long ago they wanted us to be low fat, and that was definitely not science based. The need for carbs is not either. I think its really individual. Last week when I was doing a lot of physical work I needed more than usual, but I was burning them like mad.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Its sunny but not hot here. I'm going outside

Old 06-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #394  

Mad, I hope you enjoy your visit with friends.

Today i ate the Egg Mcmuffin leftover from yesterday at noon, then had dinner at 4 pm, so a 4 hour window. This is my preference, up to 6 hours depending on when meals are eaten. I felt it was perfect. 1057 calories, 54 gr of carb 60 GM fat and 75 GM protein. I did not get hungry at all and I actually still feel full now at 9 pm. DH didn't offer any food except 1 potato chip. He's not eating much for whatever reason. Maybe my not eating makes him feel that he should not be eating either.

I fell asleep around 5 for a nap of an hour or so. I received a shipment of a blood pressure med from mail order and for the first time I noticed that there is a drowsiness warning on the bottle. For a while I was taking my blood pressure meds at bedtime but then switched back to daytime again. I don't know what to do. I don't like to take them on an empty stomach and they don't all cause drowsiness. Taking the nap doesn't really bother me but not taking it might be better for my sleep. I might ask the pharmacist rather than the doctor because I think they know more about the meds.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:50 PM   #395  

Fatmad, I am glad you were able to find a good GF pretzel. I love pretzels but don't buy them because I can't leave them along. Enjoy being with your friends.

Carol Sue, I want to eat like your friend does. That is how I ate when I lost weight in 19 yrs ago and felt great. I am kind of the way I am doing this now without even really trying. I ended up with a 8 hr eating window today and 1330 calories and 80 calories.

Weight this morning was 180.4. I am so proud of DH as he is having FBG reading between 110 and 120. He seldom eats bread anymore. I don't really know what he is doing different but whatever it is, it seems to be working.

A neat thing that DH said to me tonight when he had his arms around me. He said, "I can feel your ribs so your not as fat as you think you are". That felt soooo good to hear him tell me that.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-04-2022 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #396  

Trish, you are doing great. Look back at how far you've come! You are so lucky to have a DH who lets you take the lead and shows appreciation. I know how helpful it is. I often feel that DH beats me down at every turn. Your DH is following your lead and the result is improvement for himself.

Me? Yuk! Scale says 188.8 this morning. That has to be fluid. I did not get hungry at all after dinner at 4. I'm still not hungry at 8am. I wonder if my food is slow to leave my stomach. This might be why my blood sugar doesn't spike until 4 hours after eating pasta. I'm not sure but I think that is helpful for hunger. I think carbs go thru quickly and fat and protein go slower. Years ago I heard that carbs should never be eaten alone because the protein and fat delays the digestion. Recently I've heard that you should eat protein first. Step son always did that. He always ate meat first with nothing else on his plate. After his meat was gone he took other things. He was always very thin.

I had scrambled eggs and a small piece of French toast. DH made French toast for himself but he doesn't eat the crust of the bread. So I ate the crust from 1 piece of bread. I tracked that as .10 of a,slice of French toast. Once I eat, I want to eat more, so I made some crack slaw. I never made it before so I wanted to try it. I wanted to use ground pork or chicken but didn't have any so I used .25 lb of ground beef. I used half a bag of coleslaw mix for the cabbage. I love cooked cabbage but this crack slaw has some seasoning in it that didn't do it for me. It called for soy sauce and sesame seed oil. Also ginger and rice vinegar. When I cook cabbage I usually just add salt, pepper, onion and butter. So I don't know if I will ever make it again. If I do, I won't use those flavors. It is also called egg roll in a bowl. I bought these seasoning purposely to make this and I will probably never use them again. You never know til you try.

So far today I've had 576 calories and 12 GM of carb.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-04-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #397  

Weight today back up to 182, but then I know what happened and will definitely make adjustment. Because of being busy I ate 2 meals at dinner and evening. I know I can't do that on a regular basis. Once or twice during the week is not bad but consistently. Plus I learned that I cannot eat nuts because I had a snack of cashews last night and did a no no of eating them out of the can instead of weighing them. Sometimes I can do that but last night was not one of them. FBG was 117. Nuts are good for lowering cholesterol etc, but not for my BG.

Therefore I am back to brunch and meal at 3ish today. I am so close to the 170s that I don't want to mess it up like I've done before. I've kind of learned through the past few years what I can and cannot do and I have to learn to work with it.

Carol Sue, When I first started working to kettp BG under control, I read that we are to eat 45% carbs, but I do better if I don't do that. I seem to do better eating some complex carbs and can even get by with some simple ones as long as I don't make habit of eating them. I definitely believe that we have to learn how to work with what works for us individually.

That is interesting about your step son eating protein 1st as I recently read that and have thought about changing things up and eat my protein first and then eat my salad. I think I could be happy just eating protein and salad and nothing else but know I would grow tired of it.

Yesterday I bruised my other leg (shin). When I went to get in the car to drive to the beauty shop, I had difficult time raising my right leg to get into the car after having all the pain with it. I told DH that I need to be going up and down stairs again. So he suggested I use the stool we had for the kids when they were little. I was so thrilled that I was able to do it with left leg because the stool is pretty high. I did it at the sink and was able to hold on to cabinet so I decided to do it with the weaker right leg. Bad idea. The leg gave way and I fell forward and although the sink broke the fall, I scraped my left leg on the side of the stool. You might know I had finally got rid of the bruise I had for years ago from when my aunt and I were moving a table up the stairs and one of the legs came off, slid down the stairs and hit my leg. Now instead of a small bruise, I have a huge bruise there and I had a dermatologist tell me that when we are older bruises heal, but don't go away for a long time if ever. If it toom 25 yrs for the small one to fade away, I guess I will have this one the rest of my life. Saying that I am back to my exercises and the right leg feels pretty good now. I just have to work at strengthening it. I tell you at our age, it doesn't take long for us to lose the ground we made when you can't move around. I will just be thankful I wasn't hurt worse and that I can still work to get things back and hopefully better.

Have a nice day everybody.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #398  

Trish, I eat nuts but not many. I buy a bag of roasted almonds at Walmart. DH and I both eat them and they last a long time. I also buy bags of walnuts from the baking aisle. I keep them in the freezer because I caught DH feeding them to the chipmunk that comes on our back deck. They are too expensive to feed to the critters. Every once in a while I buy a bag of peanuts in the shell for him to feed to the critters. I rarely buy salted mixed nuts because I would go wild with them.

DH and I sat out on the deck talking today for an hour. Fitbit says I was sleeping!! I was not!! I guess i was really relaxed. He was talking about replacing the deck. I hope he does. I'm afraid to see what he finds under there. Critters go under there.

Trish, I have a hard time lifting my right leg getting in the car, too! Twins! I never get bruises, though. I guess I am one who does not bruise easily.

I could be very happy eating protein and salad, or hot vegetables. I prefer hot vegetables to salad. I ate like that when I was single, but it was mostly chicken. I rarely ate red meat. That's when red meat was bad. I only ate it if I was out somewhere and that's what was served. I will say I really enjoyed it when I had it but felt guilty.

I looked back at my entries on MFP. I eat 25-30% carb on a good day and up to 40% on higher carb days.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #399  

Yes, I agree walnuts for the critters are too expensive.

I checked back on MFP and it seems that my carbs seems to run somewhere between 25% to 35%. Today we are having chipped beef which I don't make too often anymore but it is DH favorite. The bad thing about this is that I don't eat enough protein when we have it. I could have scrambled eggs later but I really want to stop that eating in the evening. So won't worry about it since calories are reall good being under 1200.

DS says she has difficult time getting in and out of her car with her right leg too. So I guess this is normal. However, I was doing better when I exercised more. I think I will look to see if I can buy a step stool that sits lower so I can work out that muscle. I though about getting DH to make me one. He will probably say he can't do it, but I will design it if he will put it together for me. I had one when I married him, but left it for one of the kids to take. It was one DH#2's Dad had made for him and his brothers when they were toddlers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I actually made it today with just the 2 meals. I did get hungry and remembered the eat a pickle or drink the juice and had the pickle. So all is good.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-05-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:46 AM   #400  

This morning i was 185.4 BUT I had potty issues all day yesterday so I'm not counting the weight loss. I'm really dehydrated. DH is mad because he,wants to go out for breakfast but I finally made some headway and I don't want to mess it up because he is hungry. I got this way by eating because someone else was hungry.

Trish, I have a wooden stool that DH made for DGS when he was too small to reach the bathroom sink. I also have a couple plastic foot stools out on the porch so I can prop my feet up when I sit outside, but I would not stand on them. Not strong enough. We have cellar steps so I have to go up and down them but I am deathly afraid of falling down them. A friend of ours fell down cement steps to her house outside. She hit her head and had a lasting head injury and was in a wheel chair.

I don't like pickles so we rarely have them. DH likes them but when I buy them he eats 2 or 3 then they sit in the refrigerator then get thrown out.

DH made pancakes and I am really struggling to not eat them. There are about 6 of them sitting out there on a plate. I don't know why he made 6 more than he was going to eat. In the past I've frozen them for a day when I might want them but I don't want to want them. I'm really trying to keep my blood sugar down since I'm getting blood work done soon.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-05-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #401  

Weight back down to 180.8 lbs. So very grateful. I am going to make an attempt to doing this again today. I will eat 2 breakfasts today. One for brunch and one later with DH. FBG was 114 and I'm thankful it is coming back down, but don't like seeing it above 110 ever.

One new little thing I am trying is drinking ACV/lemon juice together in a glass of ice water as one of my liquid drinks during my fast. I read a discussion about it on the FB IF group for 40, 50, etc. Some of the ones who drink it say it helps them not get hungry during their fasts and some lose weight drinking it. So I am drinking it so I can fast at night.

Carol Sue, Can you feed birds pancakes or freeze them for later? just trying to think of some way to get the message over to your DH. I think he is going to have to see you are serious. So you may have to show him by actions. Sorry you are having this problem. I will be praying for him to understand because I think only God can help to see and understand how to help you and what he is doing is not.

Have a blessed Sunday everybody.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #402  

Trish, I think he understands perfectly what I'm trying to do but for some reason he's against it. I think mainly he wants to eat out and he can't do that by himself. Most of our married life I did it willingly, and got fat doing it. Now I've decided I want to eat in a 4-6 hour window and that doesn't include eating breakfast before 11 am. DH knows I was never able to pass up pancakes. So he sits them there thinking I will gobble them down like I did before. I used to freeze them but he won't eat them frozen and I don't want to eat them at all. So they will sit there until he throws them away. They are getting harder by the minute. LOL. The way he is acting is just making me stronger. I think in time he will get used to it. I hope so.

I read somewhere the benefit of lemon water. It makes your body more alkaline which is better for your health. The ACV has many benefits.

You are doing great and will be in the 170s soon. I hope I am not far behind. God knows I'm trying in spite of the obstacles.

I think Wal-Mart might be phasing out the Relion Prime Meter. When I was there today I wanted strips. I usually get the 100 pack or 2- 50 packs if they are out of 100s. They didn't have either one so I got a 25 pack to hold me over. I test several times a day. I went online to order them for store pickup and the 100 pack is no longer available so I ordered 2-50 packs. It,seems they might be replacing it with the Relion Premier. Next time I'm in the store I will have to look at them.

For dinner I made tacos and Knoor Spanish rice. I have no idea how to track the tacos since my home made are probably different than any other. I use flour tortillas and ground meat with a packet of taco seasoning, topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese. That's how we like them. DH will eat Taco Bell but I don't like them.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:17 PM   #403  

Carol Sue, I don't like taco bell anymore either. Their meat is supposed to be beef but it doesn't taste like it.

I saw those newer diabetic meters and wondered if they were going to phase out the old to sell the new. Guess I'll have to check it out when we go Tuesday. We can get the diabetic stuff free with out new Advantage insurance but I like getting what I want so I can use as many time as I want. May have to rethink that one.

Todays eating window was longer but that is okay because I don't want to eat by the clock all the time. Calories were less than 1300 today. So pleased.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #404  

My weight is up to 186.6 today but I did not have faith in the 185.4 yesterday because of the potty issues.

My insurance has always covered testing supplies but because I am not using insulin they would not give me enough strips. That is why I started using the Relion from Walmart. I could get as many strips as I want and they are inexpensive. You might be ok since you only test once a day. A lot of people must use them because the shelf is empty often. I hate going to Wal-Mart on weekends. They have no stockers working and they are out of a lot of things. I was told they only stock from 7-3 M-F. They are always crowded on Sunday. The best time to go to our Walmart is 10am Tuesday thru Friday. Monday is bad because they are trying to catch up from the weekend. At 10am they have been stocking for a few hours and its not as crowded. I might buy a new meter soon, because if they stop selling the Prime strips everyone will be buying the Premier and they might run out.

Trish, I found this online.
I use the ReliOn Prime meter and was curious as to why it's no longer on the shelves at Walmart nor on their website. I called the company, and the meter has been discontinued. I asked about why the strips are still available and was told that they're putting out what they have left until they're completely phased out.

So now I've decided to go ahead and buy a Premier meter and start using it when I run out of strips for the Prime.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-06-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #405  

Carol Sue, Thanks for the info. I will get the Premier meter for DH and myself and start buying strips for it so I will have it when we run out of what we have for the Prime.

We don't like going to the store on weekends either and soon learned that Mondays are a bad day to go for the same reason. They had not stocked up from the weekend and were out of everything. During pandemic, Tuesday mornings were seniors day so we got started going then. Although we don't have to go early anymore, we still go on Tuesdays. I guess it has just stuck because so many people go on Wednesdays when they get their SS checks. I don't have to wait to get our check to go shopping, so Tuesday works for us. We have changed when something comes up, but we seem to be routine folks.

Weight is bouncing again. I hope that is a good sign as it has been in the past and that I will see 170s soon, but for today it was 181.8. I reminded myself to just relax and be patient.

Hope everybody is having a good day.
Closed Thread