Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 12:20 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 221/179.6/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, I have done that on MFP before to get the calories up to 1000 so they will accept it. I still have to fight eating foods that are in front of me. When we go to restaurants, I usually just plan on having either a whole or half a roll and count the calories. I know when we go to Olive Garden that I am definitely going to eat a breadstick.

My weight is up .6 lbs today which is normal for when I eat takeout. I think it must be the sodium or maybe they use MSG. They claim that restaurants aren't supposed to use it anymore, but I also hear they can get by with using it by calling it something else like natural seasonings. But then MFP said I was way over the 2300 mg sodium yesterday so I may have done it myself with the pork rinds. I've just about decided that no more regular flour than I use, I could use it instead of a substitute. I would like to do this using regular food rather an substitutes. After all, when you eat out you get the real thing. I can still cook it in air fryer and lose the oil cals.

My calories yesterday ended up being 1405 and total carb 37... net 29 g. So it was a good low carb day. I thought about how DH and I eat and realize I will not have many below 50 g eating days because of days when I cook higher carbs. I will try to keep them under 75 on days I know I will be going over 50 grams. Really when it gets right down to it, I don't want to have any food that is off limit to me. I think that is why I like reading on Diet Doctor website. They include the carb count on higher carb foods especially the fruit. I think it is because some people eat it. I haven't asked DBS but I know at one time she always had a banana every morning. I don't think she ever counted carbs, she just knew what she could and couldn't eat while losing weight. However, it also helps to have a Hubby who has gone to culinary school at the local tech school and has a degree in it and he loves experimenting with food any way. So they have learned to sub some things I don't want to fool with like making cloud bread and fat bombs etc.

I'm groggy today. Those new exercises I've been doing for my legs are working my back as well and my back muscles have been so soar that I took 2 of DH pain pills. I hate taking them because our insurance doesn't cover them any more as of this year. He can get them if we pay for them so he only takes them when he absolutely has to. They did help me sleep and I woke up without much pain but the more I've moved around the pain is back. Not sure if I should continue the exercise of take a break. I took 2 Naprosyn this morning and it helps until I move around a lot. I may have to get the heating pad out. Since I only do 3 days a week right now of exercise, I probably will do them tomorrow as planned because I'll have all weekend to take Ibuprofen and naprosyn in order to recover.

Hope everybody has a nice day.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 217/186/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I have cut back on my first meal, less food, fewer calories, which allows for more calories for dinner. Also if I eat the breakfast I'm used to I am often not hungry when dinnertime rolls around since we eat dinner so early. . I'm not sure how this will go. It means I'm eating fewer eggs and they are a big portion of my protein. I'll be ok today because I'm having the steak. My choice would be the big breakfast and more of a snack for dinner but that doesn't fit in with eating with DH.

The calorie count on the steak salad is listed as 800. But I order it with no bacon or cheese, no croutons or French fries. Mine is mostly just lettuce. So I entered it on MFP as 90% to cut the calories back some.

I try to be mostly concerned about starchy carbs,bread products, noodles or pasta. . I don't worry about carbs in vegetables or fruit because they contain nutrients and fiber. I know most low carb eaters count every little carb. I haven't been eating bananas but then I heard that they can help with sleep so I'm eating a half banana at bedtime. DH and I split a banana each day. And they contain potassium. Your sister probably benefits from eating that banana each morning. I also eat a potato now and then. I like baked or boiled. They contain nutrients and fiber. I am so burned out on French fries or homefries. If I eat them its because they came with my meal and I mindlessly nibble on a few. I never intentionally order them. Potatoes are a big deal to DH.

BIL called early this morning asking DH to come over because "he's dying.". DH told him to call 911 but he wanted DH there. Every time DH or his brother get sick they say they are dying. When they are really dying no one will believe them. So it turns out that when we had the power outage he refroze some of his food that had defrosted even though DH told him to toss it out. He gets it free using food stamps. Yesterday he ate Turkey burger that had defrosted and refroze. He was sick, getting stomach pains. He tried to get up to go to the bathroom but got dizzy. So DH helped him to the bathroom. Later on he will call to see if he feels better.

I saw him a week ago, first time in 2 years. He is HUGE. He says he gets stomach pains when he eats, but that doesn't count cake and cookies. He doesnt get pain from eating them. If he's not eating meals he's eating a lot of something. He said he eats soup and crackers but goes through a big box of crackers in 2-3 days. He HAS to lose weight. I don't know how much he weighs but he must know because he goes to the doctor twice a year. His doctor tells him to lose weight. I know its hard but he lives alone. The bad food is there because he buys it. His mother never cared if they just ate junk food, as long as they weren't hungry.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-19-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:33 PM   #333  

Carol Sue, I don't remember if Dr. Berry ever said anything about counting carbs, but Dr. Berg says to lose weight keep the net carbs below 50 grams and not to worry about counting the carbs in the veggies. I count everything because it is counted on MFP when I post what I eat.

I didn't eat everything on my plate today at dinner. I cooked the chicken tenders in the cream of chicken soup, but it didn't taste good to me today. I didn't even finish my salad. Don't remember exactly but net carbs are under 50 grams today. I didn't even drink my coffee tonight as it just didn't sound good. I can always have one later. My back still hurts although not as bad as it did last night. I don't think Advil etc is helping with my because I have no appetite. Still feeling really tired. I think that is from the sore back. This will pass in time. I ended up with a 7 hr eating window and 2 snacks and 1 meal.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #334  

Weight is 185.8 today, so coming down, but not nearly as fast as it went up. DH made breakfast for me today but it's sitting here uneaten because I'm not hungry. I will heat it up when I get hungry and it will be brunch.

Trish, I always consider that I did not get fat from eating too many vegetables. If I ate only vegetables I would lose weight quickly but I do like the taste of meat and feel that my body needs the nutrients found in meat. Also fish. And eggs. When I lost weight the first time I knew nothing about weight loss. I cut out junk food, ate less and moved more. And I kept it off until I married Mr Potato Head.

Yesterday I changed my dinner from the steak salad to a steak with a side salad and broccoli carrot combo. The stats were about the same. I did not eat any rolls. Yay! When we were leaving DH brought home a piece of his steak for the dog. He also put 2 rolls in the box "for the birds. ". He fed one to the birds and the other one is sitting on the counter. He is tempting me to eat it!! I dont know why he does that. But if doesn't even appeal to me.

The steak was so highly seasoned I could barely eat it. I forgot to ask for no seasoning. DH said that's the best part. Not for me. I want to taste the meat. They are very heavy handed with the seasoning. The steak was better when I got the steak salad.

I don't know what's for dinner. I would go to Bob Evans. We are getting tired of Rodneys. We need a break from there. Most of the other restaurants in our town are Italian. It's hard to eat low carb in an Italian restaurant.

DH talked to BIL today. He says he feels somewhat better but is not going to eat for a month. That would be the best thing for him but I know he doesn't mean it.

DH is getting upset because my breakfast is just sitting there. I asked him if he thinks I'm going to starve to death! He said he thinks its going to go bad. Well whose fault is that!?

I finally ate my break fast around noon. I was slightly hungry. I wonder if he will learn anything from this? Sometimes he asks me but today he didnt. How hard is that? He wants to go to Rodneys. I don't know what I will order. I could get steak again. Probably the best choice but not really what I want. I don't know why I'm not hungry today.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-20-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #335  

I got up too late to weigh so don't know what my weight is. I took one pain pill and 1/2 Benadryl so I could sleep without pain. I slept very good and woke up without pain, but then after doing some of my core exercises, the pain was back. I took Ibuprofen and after doing 1 mile on the recumbent with vibration and heat on my back the pain was gone, Now it is mild.

I decided to look at an online anatomy pic to see what is in the place where my back hurts and learned that it is my gluteus medias on both sides. So it is muscle. So I looked up Dr. Berg and see what he says and learned that it is caused from not enough sodium. It can also be caused from synthetic supplements. There are other causes but didn't fit me. I am bad about not eating enough salt most of the time. He says eat more sea salt.

Carol Sue, I haven't been hungry the past couple of days either. Not sure what is causing it. I am aiming at a 1 meal today. Today wasn't low carb. Dr. Berg says when doing keto the back pain is not unusual. I guess I know why Dr. Atkins always said not to take fluid pills before or during low carb eating which makes sense because the diet is an automatic diuretic. I didn't feel like cooking so we had soup and salad. I have to say that my back felt even better after the sodium in the soup. Strange isn't it. I haven't tracked today because I'm sure I won't reach 1000 calories. I had to fudge on some numbers to make it 1000 calories yesterday.

I think the reason rolls are so tempting in the restaurant for me is the freshness of them and they are hot. Once they get home and are cooled down, they don't tempt me once they lose their freshness.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:36 PM   #336  

Trish, I'm sorry to hear you are having this pain in the butt! Hope you get relief soon.

We went to Rodneys and I had chicken Parm with a side of spaghetti. I got to eat some spaghetti without getting a large portion. The chicken breast was huge and I didn't eat it all.

We went to Goodwill and I got a nice whistling tea kettle for $3 and a pie pan. Its hard to find the type of pie pan I like. Then we went to the local grocery store for potatoes. Then home.

I am trying hard not to fall asleep.

​​​​​​

Old 05-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #337  

The loss yesterday didn't hold. I'm back up to 186.8. Bummer.

I slept but not well. I feel a nap coming.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #338  

Carol Sue, sorry the loss didn't stick. My weight is up to 185.2 lbs but I'm sure it is from the meds plus I'm not on any plan right now. I'm eating only when hungry and if it weren't for DH, I might not eat at all. My eating window ended up being 8 hrs because I ate the soup around 3 pm and then I got really hungry sometime after 10. So I took 2 slices of Canadian bacon and 2 romaine lettuce leaves and made a low carb no bread sandwich. I guess it was real hunger because it tasted so good. The pain has now moved down into the front of my thigh last night so took a pain bill and went to bed. This morning, I found some OTC medical lotion DS told me about years ago and I rubbed some of it on there and it helps some. That with 2 ibuprofen this morning seems to be helping. I didn't sleep much either and will take a nap and hope I feel better later. One good thing today is my FBG was 91. I is from not eating much when I do eat.

Another thing I am going to do taking advantage of this time of not being hungry is try to eat only OMAD. Today will be pizza. All these meds and feeling bad makes me want to sleep so it should be easy to do.

Hope your nap makes you feel better.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:24 PM   #339  

Trish your pain is very disconcerting. I hope you feel better soon. My pain I was having disappeared as mysteriously as it came. I'm not even sure what caused it but I'm glad its gone. I get a bit of pain in my left hip if I lay on it but that's all. I was taking Tylenol Arthritis regularly but now I haven't taken it in weeks. DH gets shoulder pain at night but I blame sugar for that.

Now I'm up from my nap. I ate scrambled eggs around 10:30. That was earlier than I wanted to eat but I'm still not hungry. DH brought McDonalds Chicken McNuggets while I was napping. I am going to wait until I'm hungry to eat them even if its past 8 hours which will be at 6:30.

I bought a new Fitbit. This one has more detail about sleep and heart rate. It just came today and I'm having trouble getting it set up. I remember from before it can take time.

I am really surprised that I'm not hungry. This is not me but I'm glad. Normally I eat even if I'm not hungry but this is different. I don't feel the urge to eat.

I wonder where Ann has been. She travels back and forth between home and DBF and keeps busy with so many things. She lives a very full life compared to my same old same old. I hope she peeks in soon.

We also haven't heard from Adrienne.

Mad is at the cottage.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #340  

I've been wondering about Ann and Adrienne too. I figure Ann is busy traveling or working on projects. I hope she and Adrienne are doing okay.

I've been using the heating pad today and taking ibuprofen. DH reminded me yesterday that I've had this before so I know it will pass. So, I'm actually feeling a little better and hoping the pain will be gone sooner than later. So far I've had one meal... the pizza and salad. Now I am hoping that I won't need anything else today.

Carol Sue, Have fun getting familiar with your knew fitbit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ended up with a 5 hr eating window. Feeling better. Praying pain will be completely gone tomorrow.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 05-22-2022 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:01 AM   #341  

5 hours in good, Trish. I haven't been able to do that in a,while.Hope you feel better in the morning.

I'm up early. I had a bad dream about a job I had 30 years ago. I dream about work often and I don't know why. Bad dreams upset me even though I know they are not real but I don't know why I have them.

I am afraid to get on the scale. I don't want to see a bump up today. Its 187.2. Up. Not good on top of the bad dream. I need to get back to my smaller eating window. That's what worked before.

It got my new Fitbit set up and working on the second try. Now to figure out the features.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-22-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #342  

Feeling better this morning. I woke up with pain, but doctored and took 2 ibuprofen. I have to stop taking it because it is beginning to upset my stomach. I took 2 Tylenol last night instead of pain med and ibuprofen. Maybe I should have taken it but I just hate feeling so dragged out so will just take it easy and use the heating pad which seems to be working at this point. Weight is up to 186.8. I know it is sodium because of the water with sea salt I've been drinking. I don't think sodium is causing my problem. I looked at some of the exercises that can cause the pain I've experienced and it is because I should have gone slow when I added those exercises. Tomorrow, I am going back to the recumbent bike because it helps with the pain instead of aggravating it. I will go back to some of the other exercises when this is healed.

Today is going to be a 2MAD and probably within a 4 or 5 hr eating window. I had 2 boiled eggs with bacon and half avocado. I really am tired of the avocadoes and probably won't buy them again for a while. I realized they are something I don't like having everyday. It doesn't take long for me to tire of avocadoes.

I have eggs out to cook for our dinner, but not sure I will want them. May just cook DH his and wait and eat something else if and when I get hungry.

Hope everybody is having a blessed Sunday.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #343  

Trish, I agree you have to be careful with IB. Don't take it on an empty stomach. And with you doing IF that's hard to avoid.

I feel that I am done eating for today but I'm a little hungry. I'll see what DH wants. I'm still eating too early. I'm under on calories but have enough carbs so if I eat it will have to be low carb. Neither of us wants to go out.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:00 AM   #344  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone: home from the cottage for a few weeks. I did not eat well, but managed to stay at 157. I have some plans for today to stay low carb. I have a chop salad and some sausage. I am planning to do "dinner" at lunch time. It seems once I start eating that I am grazing for a few hours, so I hope to "fill up" with low carb and only have other Keto foods the rest of the day. I am not sure about this, but trying to change that pattern does not seem to be working right now, so the best I can do is go low carb with it.
I was fortunate in the day I went and returned on the ferry, waters were smooth. With the storms before and after my journey, that was really lucky.

Trish: it sounds like the exercises you were doing are really affecting your back, and I would lay off them unless you can get someone expert, like a physiotherapist, to help you learn to do them in a way that won't harm you. Its like people who do crunches but use their neck muscles to raise their head, instead of only using abs. Can really do in the neck. Not sure what the exercise is or what you did with them, but it doesn't sound good. It also can't be good to need all these medications for pain. I hope you are having food with the ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin). It is also ok to mix ibuprofen with acetaminophen (tylenol) but care must be taken not to go over the maximum doses of either. I found one of each at a time, to be very effective for people. That's only if those medications are safe for you.
I hope you feel better.
Carol: I can understand your frustration, but not long ago you were struggling not to go back into the 190's, so overall you are doing well, and I am sure you will get back down.

Its a holiday Monday here, so everything outside is oddly quite with no one going to work and no kids going to school. I am for some gardening today. Glad I only have a small spot.
Blessings and have a good week.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #345  

Mad, I had to look to see what holiday was today. Our Memorial Day is next Monday.

I am frustrated over my weight but know that its due to having a longer eating window. I too tend to graze after first food of the day. Therefore its best if I don't eat before 11-12. When I started that practice was when I finally dropped from 190 to the 180s. I also had a long struggle to get and stay below 200. So this is typical,but disconcerting all the same.

Today the scale read 185.6. I'm afraid to trust it though so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Trish, I hope your pain is subsiding. I don't like you going through this.

Last night DH was sick and I was nurse for the night. I did get a few hours sleep but he didn't. I can't really say what was wrong. He says his kidneys hurt. I don't know how he knows it's kidneys. He has a history of this and was hospitalized for a stone once. Its in his family. He will not doctor for it so its his decision. He drinks coffee all day with very little water. I tell him to drink more water to flush his kidneys and he doesn't listen. He thinks coffee is made with water so its the same, but caffeine is diuretic. Nothing I can do.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-23-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Closed Thread