Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, shows caring that DBS is concerned for you and I think with the changes you have made you will live for a very long time. You both need to encourage DS.

The doctor I was speaking of is not on YouTube or Facebook. He is a doctor who has a practice in Pittsburgh. I don't even know what kind of doctor he is. He was speaking of his own personal experience with sleep and very low carb. His name is Nick Grainer. I doubt if you will find him on any other social media.

You might find Dr Tro. He has a practice supporting healthy eating and weight loss. I like him because he shows before/after pictures of himself losing 100+ lbs. After he lost weight he changed his practice to healthy weight loss. I like getting advice from someone who knows what its like to be overweight.

We went out for breakfast and to Wal-Mart and I forgot to weigh. I will not weigh this late after a big meal.

I looked up Dr Greiner. He is a chiropractor who specializes in nutrition. Some people don't consider a chiropractor to be a doctor.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-16-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:04 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, I agree about DS. She dreamed that DBS and I lost our weight but she didn't. She has always had an easy time losing but difficulty of keeping it off. I pray she will be able to start losing again. She has a lot of health problems especially with her knees. It is difficult to try to encourage her without sounding like I am being pushy. I just try to share my own experience with her. I think DBS has the opposite problem than we do. Even DH said that she is too thin. In fact, she looks fragile.

I also like to learn about weight loss from someone who has lost weight. Especially a doctor because the know and identify with what I am going through and have found an answer that worked for them. I like chiropractors but I think most of them that I have known have pushed more of a vegetarian woe. I guess that is why I like Dr. Berg as he doesn't push vegetarian although he does push loads of veggies. I feel like I get a balance between Dr. Berg who is a chiropractor and Dr. Berry who is a MD. I have learned a lot from them.

I didn't think the 182.8 would stick and it didn't. Weight was 184 this morning. Seems to be the high norm these days during the stall time. I fasted this morning and will have pork chops with salad and corn and my keto ice cream bar. Net carbs will be 56 grams and calories less than 1200 if I decided to have the protein shake for supper. I may shoot for a OMAD kind of day if I can. Still have 10 more minutes to do on the recumbent bike and I will have all my exercises done for today. Decided to do the bike in 10 minute segments. I don't know why but I've heard it is better done that way. I need to do the bike for my knee which has been a little tight and sore since dancing Saturday. The bike actually relieves it.

Since DH can't get one of his meds until Wednesday we probably won't go out this week until Thursday. We need to quarantine until then, because I got a message from one of my great nephews yesterday that he tested positive for covid yesterday. He set with me at the table and spent a lot of time with me. I still don't expect to get it but Wednesday will be a 5 days quarantine which according to my niece who works in a doctor's office says is the new time line. She is recouperating from having it this past week. DH and I have never stopped taking the supplement routine that we heard about when the covid started. It has worked great to protect us and expect it to continue to do so. We never stopped supplements even after taking the vaccine shots. I pray no one else gets sick.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #318  

Trish, I pray that you nor anyone else at the party contracts covid. They say its very mild now but still you don't want it. I hope DBS is ok. Was she ever overweight?

Years ago a woman on the internet told me that she got relief from knee problems when she started using a recumbent bike. That's why I bought my first one from Goodwill. When I first started using it my knee would click with each rotation. After using it for a while the clicking stopped and never came back. I don't have knee pain but I don't have full range of motion. I have swelling that keeps my knee from bending completely.

We had ravioli for dinner. That's a very economical meal. The sauce I use costs $1.25. I add 4 oz of ground beef. I get 2 meals from a bag of ravioli that costs under $4. And it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare.

Most of the people I follow on Twitter follow low carb, Keto or carnivore. I enjoy reading what they post and other peoples opinions.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:02 PM   #319  

Carol Sue, Probably the most DBS ever weighed might have been 150 or 160. She didn't say anything yesterday, but she has been going through some stressful things besides their move etc and the last I heard she was 100 lbs which is too low for her. She didn't do it intentionally and it scared her when she saw it.

I watched a guy on YouTube that said people never think about using the muscles involved in walking backwards. I have to be careful but have been trying to do that some. There is no way that I could bend my leg backwards and hold it at the ankle for a count but after hearing about how we need to use those muscles, I've been just bending and bring them up as much as I can 3 times a week. But I have to say that the recumbent bike helps my knees better than any exercise that I do.

I looked up Dr. Greiner and Dr. Tro. Doctor Tro seems to be connected or featured on Diet Doctor. I need to look at Diet Doctor again. They used to have some really good things on there.

I ended up with a 1 meal and 1 snack which was just the protein shake. Changed up some things at dinner and carb count stayed the same with 56 grams but final calories were 1095. So this turned out to be a very good eating day.

Your ravioli sounds good, but I don't know if DH would eat it or not. I'll have to find out and then learn from you what you use.

Have great evening. I've got to wash clothes tonight. Goodnight.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #320  

Trish, I only make the ravioli occasionally when I want something quick. DH is tired of spaghetti and the ravioli I buy has beef in it. There is also cheese filled. I like any pasta but am happy with only 5-6 ravioli. So much depends on what our husbands will eat! ​​​​​​

Tonight I am making meat loaf. I haven't made that in months. I go through periods when I don't liked it. Other times I make extra because I like to make sandwiches. I used to make a big one and give it to step daughter for her husband but they don't shown interest any more. He is a very big eater for such a small guy, but he is a big meat eater. My step son is too. Very high protein.

My weight is back up to 187.2. I am very disappointed in myself. I was bouncing between 182-185 and was looking forward to seeing 179 soon as I know you are. I know I am overeating, especially carbs. Not over 100 but over 50. And worse, I'm not staying in my eating window. I need to change that. I know when I'm doing things I shouldn't be doing. Shame on me for not being more attentive. I know what to do.

This book I'm reading is about people who overeat way more than I do and for different reasons. I seem to do it because the food is there, not due to cravings and definitely not due to hunger. Mostly it tells you to avoid trigger foods. Do not try to eat moderately if the trigger foods cause you to eat more than you need. Unfortunately those are your favorite foods and its hard to give them up completely. I guess you have to decide if you want to be thin more than you want the taste of that food.

I always pride myself for not being sugar addicted even though that saves me from all the sweets DH has around. But a comment was made on Twitter that carbs like bread and pasta are just "molecules of glucose that are holding hands.". That's a catch comment and something I need to keep in mind.

I hope your sister can find a way to keep her weight up. That can be as bad as being overweight. I often wish I had that problem but I know its really not safe. I think I have very low,stress or maybe I just handle it well.

I just had scrambled eggs and bacon with 2 slices of tomato. It was earlier than I like to eat but very tasty and satisfying. Low carb. 396 cals, 5 carbs, 33 fat, 23 protein. DH cooks the eggs in butter. I hate that because it adds 100 calories to my meal and takes a big bite out of my calorie allotment for the day. I really need to stop thinking like that because its truly not the calories that are the problem. Its the carbs. Breakfast is probably my healthiest meal for weight control. My dinner is where I need better control. And NO snacking in between!

Trish, do you and DH eat green beans? They are very low calorie. I used to buy canned but they got boring. I started buying frozen at Aldis. They are called very fine and are long and skinny. I love them. Little bit of butter and salt. Yum!! I'm having them tonight with the meatloaf.

I have enough trouble walking forward without trying to walk backwards! I want to understand the exercises you mentioned. Raising your leg backwards and holding for a count. Is this for hamstrings, the back of the thigh? This is what I need. They say that muscle doesn't get much exercise on a daily basis and its worse from too much sitting. Like I tend to do. I've been doing it holding onto a counter, alternating legs. This,exercise should help me walk up steps. Another way to do it is to lay face down on the bed then raise and lower each leg at the knee.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-17-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #321  

Carol Sue, DH likes green beans cooked with ham in it and I don't. Plus he won't eat it very often. His idea of cooking green beans is a huge pressure cooker of 5 or 6 cans in it with ham and then we have too much. He cooks it so done that once it is frozen it is mushy when thawed so we don't have it any more. I like them just plain with a little bit of seasoning and he doesn't.

Yes that is what I mean about legs backward bends. I hold on to counter to do a lot of those leg exercises too. I do lunges and squats that way too. I also do what I call wall push ups because I can't get on the floor and do them. It hurts my knees trying to get up.

I was looking at the Diet Doctor website last night and I think that plan might work for me. He says count carbs and don't worry about the counting calories which means I would have to just get a sheet of paper and just write down my carbs. He even has the different foods with pics of different #grams for the foods. Since it includes fruits I want to check it out. They also have some neat recipe samples I would like but DH wouldn't eat it.

I was back down to 183.2 this morning. Now to figure out how to either stay there and hopefully keep scale from going up. I had my avocado/bacon/egg combo for brunch and we will have shrimp scampi for dinner. I will drain the butter sauce off of mine and put the shrimp in my salad. I want to stop eating at night again. I want to have the protein shake only as needed. I had one last night because I needed it to get my protein high enough. I want to see what is recommended on DD website.

Have a good day.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #322  

I think YOU would like the green beans from Aldi's. Sometimes I cook 2 vegetables when I want something DH doesn't like. He likes more now than when I met him. Back then it was corn or peas!

I don't understand the Diet Doctor site. Did you sign up for the free trial? It consists of many doctors now including Dr Fung. I miss Dr Fung's free site.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #323  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I think YOU would like the green beans from Aldi's. Sometimes I cook 2 vegetables when I want something DH doesn't like. He likes more now than when I met him. Back then it was corn or peas!

I don't understand the Diet Doctor site. Did you sign up for the free trial? It consists of many doctors now including Dr Fung. I miss Dr Fung's free site.
No, right now I am reading freely on the website.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #324  

Ok, I will try again.

In reading this book about food addiction, they say for the most part it is sugar addiction. Most food triggers are sugar, flour, products containing sugar and flour, like pasta, rice and potatoes. They said they have to be eliminated,not moderated, because not being able to moderate is usually the problem. They say one little bite will start the addiction cycle all over again. They compare it to an alcoholic who cannot have one drink, or a drug addict. Even a smoker cannot cut back to 3 cigarettes a day. For me, I don't want to live the rest of my life never having bread again. I have cut back and at home I usually have the Sara Lee, which is lower in carb and higher in fiber than other bread. I also like pasta occasionally but try not to go overboard. So I can say with much certainty that I am going to try to do my best to moderate. I should be able to do it if I try. I think i can can allow 50-75 GM of carb per day without losing control. I will tell myself if I keep it under control I should not have to eliminate.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:50 PM   #325  

Carol Sue, you describe me to a T. I don't want to remove those foods forever. Th at is why I have a difficult time doing keto or VLC. I think for the most part that I too could keep carbs between 50-75 grams daily.

Today has been fairly well but sure I went longer than 8 hrs as I can't remember what time I ate brunch.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #326  

This morning the scale says 186.8. That is down from yesterday but not much. My weight is bouncing. When it bounces up its a bit higher than the last time. When it bounces down its never as low as the last time. This is how your body fools you so you don't realize that you are gaining. Before you know it your pants are getting tight and you have to buy new so you don't look like a stuffed sausage. In time, you grow into and back out of those new pants. Been there, done that. STOP NOW!

DH made pancakes this morning. There are 4 left. This is where I put what I learned In the book to the test. Pancakes are a known trigger for me. One would be ok but I know from past experience that eating one will draw me in and I'll end up eating all 4. There was a time when I would cook an egg and put it on top of 1 pancake. I hope that I can reach a point where I can do this again. Today is not that day. Also, I used to freeze them so I could do my pancake and egg some day in the future. Right now I don't trust myself knowing they are in the freezer.

Yesterday my eating window was 12 hours. I stopped tracking when I went over my calories for the day. Yikes! This is the old Carol back in gaining mode. No no no no no! I have to get back to my 4-6 hour window. My eating yesterday had nothing to do with hunger. I think I will go back and enter the rest of the food I ate. I need to see the truth in black and white. Lying to myself is not going to help.

I could very easily become the people they featured in the book. I think I can get back under control before that happens. Am I just fooling myself?

Calories. 1907. Carbs. 129.

"If every day was like today you would weigh 189.5 in 5 weeks." That is almost 190 and I'm betting it would be sooner than 5 weeks.

'

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-18-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #327  

Carol Sue, I think our bodies are adjusting before weight continues to drop. My weight is up .8 this morning but that really isn't a gain. When I said something about my weight bouncing and not going moving down to DS, she said, "You always do that. It will move down again."

After talking to her, I remembered going to the nutritionists after moving here and telling them what I was eating and the exercise I was doing then. They said for me to just keep doing what I was doing and remember "you are doing heathy things" and it will finally work. When I went to bariatric center for shots, I lost a few lbs and stopped. Same thing when I joined WW. So she is right. My body just does this.

I've already done a lot of formal exercise and will be walking at the local store later. I am cutting out some of the carbs I've been eating. Not going to worry about the calories or the sodium as I am going to try to keep the net carbs under 50. If everything goes as planned today calories are 1521 and total carbs are 46 with net being 34 g. This is with 3 meals within 8 or 9 hr eating window. Just because it is planned doesn't mean I have to drink the protein shake so it could end up a 2 meal day within 5 or 6 hr window.

I never trust what MFP says I will weigh if I ate this way every day,, but according to today's plan, I should weigh 174 lbs in 5 weeks. I wish. It has never been that easy for me. According to them, I should have been in the 170s months ago.

I have pretty much decided to do low carb like I did successfully years ago. Low carb will be my on going woe, but then occasionally I will have an Off meal, but no Off days. This is the way I learned to do from Dana Carpentar years ago. I think this will work better.

Have a nice day. BBL
Old 05-18-2022, 02:32 PM   #328  

Trish, for the past month MFP has been telling me my weight will be 183 in 5 weeks. That told me I was headed in the right direction. When I ate 1900+ calories yesterday I knew that was over my losing or maintenance calories. It is NOT something I can continue and I won't. 1200 is my weight loss number. 1400-1500 is my maintenance. I think if I did not go over the 50 carbs yesterday I would have been better off. I had potty issues overnight, probably because of what I ate, and that's the only thing that saved me. God sent it to me as a blessing. I need to see it as a lesson learned.

I agree with your sister, that your weight always goes back down. Mine does too as long as I stay on plan. But I was down to 183. It's a shame I allowed myself to go back up to 187. I thank God it wasn't more.

I'm ending a 16 hour fast with a brunch of scrambled eggs. All I've had so far is coffee. I am getting back to the old me, in control.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #329  

Carol Sue, Congratulations making the 16 hr fast. Sounds like you are having a good day to day as I am. When we have days like today it makes us feel good about ourselves and feel more in control. We need to remember that it is like shooting a missile toward a target. the missile doesn't go in a straight path but it zig zags but it does hit its target. We need to be patient with ourselves and know that we will do the same if we will not give up. You want to hear something funny/strange? That was what my devotional was about this morning. Not to give up but to stay the course and we will be rewarded. I think it was just what I needed today.

I looked for pork panko. I think I saw them at the big HEB that has more health foods, but I didn't realize they were made from pork rinds but they didn't have it at this store. I heard about them when I saw Neisha Berry was showing products she uses and said she uses them instead of almond flour. I ended up buying a package of pork skins so I'll try making my own. I bought some chicken livers and gizzards last week to fry up for a snack. I will crush the rinds and use them and air fry them.

Today instead of getting chips or fries, to go with my McD douIble CB measured out 1/2 oz of pork rinds and instead of eating the MGSL bread I used the large flattened leaves of romaine lettuce in place of the bun. It was actually very good and satisfying. I've decided not to have the shake today because as now my protein is 74 grams and my calories are 1195 and net carbs are 28 grams and total carb is 36. My eating window was approximately 5 hrs today.

DH got some more corn and I decided that once a week I will have one ear of corn and until they are gone I will also have one Skinny Cow ice cream on the same day. This way I will know that one meal a week will be more of a carb day.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #330  

Scale says 186.8 again today, so this tells me it is true weight and not fluid retention. I am not happy but facing facts. Overeating and high carbs caused a bump up so I have to work on getting back down. I have been drinking more water and electrolyte drinks to combat dehydration. I don't want to see a lower weight just because I'm dehydrated.

I don't have anything planned for dinner today so we will probably eat out. Bob Evans has become our favorite because they have the best selection of small meals. We also like to go to Texas Roadhouse once or twice a month. Hard to get a small meal there.

I don't like pork rinds. I've tried to like them but No.

Yesterday I had 931 cals and 65 GM carb in an 8 hour window. It would have been even lower in a 3 hour window. I wasn't really hungry for dinner but I ate. I knew my calories had been pretty low so I ate. I was concerned that if I waited til I was hungry I would go beyond 8 hours. I made up the difference by adding an item to MFP so they would accept my number. I had eaten half of a buttermilk biscuit so I changed it to a whole biscuit.

DH just told me he wants Texas Roadhouse, so I will probably get a steak salad. I am in the mood for salad. I will have to psych myself up to pass on the rolls. I would tell them not to bring the rolls to the table but 1) DH likes to eat half a roll and 2) I want to learn to resist them even though they are right in front of me. I can do this.

I tracked my food plan for today. If I stick to plan I'm at 1117 cals and 30 carbs in 8 hours.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-19-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Closed Thread