Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I was happy to see 189 this morning even if it was only a fluctuation. I think its funny that 1 lb can change my mood so much and I'm so glad that I rarely go above 190 when I do bump up. I'm trying to live with whatever happens.

Trish, when I first got Walk Away The Pounds I bought the 3 mile DVD instead of starting out with the 1 mile. I just did what I could and increased it gradually.

Today I am going to do the same as yesterday, 2 meals with nothing in between. The more days I do this in a row the sooner it will become second nature and the sooner I will be on track. I will not give up. I can do this. One day something will Click and I'll be on my way.

Step daughter is selling her mobile home today where the lived 29 years. She is sad, and said she cried. They went thru so much there but will make new memories in their new home.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-28-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #287  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I was wondering just the other day if she had sold her home. I'm glad it has worked out. I know it is hard to leave where you had so many memories. But glad they are starting new ones in a new home.

You said something last night that made me remember why I stopped thinking about doing CAD a few years and that was I didn't like eating all my carbs in one meal. This is why eating low carb and throwing in a RM on occasion worked so well for me. I also remember when DH and I used to travel I always lost weight when traveling and I realized it was the 2MAD. Although I could get anything but egg mcmuffin type breakfasts and then we ate a good balanced meal at Cracker Barrel everyday, I was always shocked at the weight loss when I would get back home and weigh. So I'm not so much the CAD CM and RM rules as it is the 2MAD.

When I first did CAD, I had only seen the Heller's on a tv talk show and I saw it as one meal where you ate whatever you wanted and the other meals are low carb. They say they aren't but it really is. It reminded me of Dana Carpendar's book I read on how she lost 40 lbs and kept it off. She ate low carb except for special occasions where she would decide before she went to those events what carbs she would eat and then those were her RM as CAD/CALP calls it. Back then I was a widow and ate with my church group on Friday mornings and we went out to eat Sunday after church. I low carbed all week and ate whatever I wanted those 2 days. When I married DH I ate low carb everyday except when we went out to eat. There were days that I ate only one meal most days I ate something 2 times a day even if it was just a bite of protein. That is probably what I will end up doing again because that is what really feels right to me. I still think that the fasting is the key to the whole thing for me any way and 2 meals 4 or 5 hrs apart and fasting 19 or 20 hrs as Dr. Fung is a good plan. I can still lurk on CAD because they give some good info on there from time to time. It would be nice if Heller's did an update but they aren't. I think there are a lot of us on there that do a combo of other plans with CAD. Over the years I have seen some do WW, low carb and IF with it. So they tweak it to fit their lifestyle.

My weight bounced this morning too. I have no idea if I weigh 189.8 which is what I weighed yesterday or if I weigh 190. So I took the 189.8 because I like it better even if it is just .2 lbs. You know what I mean. The one problem I saw of eating all carbs at one meal is my FBG bumped up to 101. However, that could be from the fasting too so I will be careful with this. The good thing that has come out of this so far is I'm drinking coffee without the creamer during my fast so my fasts are clean fasts with 0 calories. Today I will have 19 hr fast before I eat brunch.

I do like my eggs, bacon and even toast. Yesterday I had riced cauliflower in place of the bread and scrambled the eggs with cheese. I don't know if I will do that again or go ahead and have the toast. The cauliflower gave me bad abdominal gas pains. But may just have to get used to it if I continue following CAD rules. Which ever way I decide to go 2 meals will be the goal for now. Cutting out the creamer and eating only 2 meals then giving the fast a chance to heal my body of other things will have so many great benefits without CAD rules.

I think the CLICK for me is IF with 2MAD period.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #288  

Trish, if I recall, it seems that eating high carb at your second meal raised FBG. I know it does it for me. But I can eat a carb portion without any trouble as long as I have protein with it.

Right now I am enjoying reading books about people who wrote about their weight loss journey, like Click. The one I'm reading now is a woman who eats Vegan. It is the story of how her weight loss progressed. She is not suggesting Vegan diet, but just that is what she follows. She is against the treatment of animals. She won't eat cheese or drink milk because she says the cows are forced to produce milk and that's cruel. I don't feel that way. I think it says in the Bible that God provided the animals for us to eat. I could be wrong. Either way, I will not stop eating meat or animal products, I just like reading her daily blog of her weight loss and exercise. I have another book in my Kindle, but I don't know if I will read it or discard it because it is written by a man and it looks like he might use a lot of fowl language. I just like getting ideas from what they do They are free books so it doesn't matter if I discard it. I no longer get anything out of reading diet books that say eat this or eat that. I'm going to eat what I'm going to eat. It just depends when and how much.

When I first heard about CAD it was from a friend's sister who was doing it. She told me it was carbs at only 1 meal eaten within 1 hour. She didn't give more details than that. It was a few years before I read the book, and I really don't remember much more about it. Even when I started doing Atkins, it was just protein and vegetables for me. I am not one to worry about details. If I lose weight, it's good. If I don't then I do something else. I lost weight on just protein and veggies but it's hard for me to do that now living with Mr Potato Head!

Our temps have been so hot lately. Terrible. It's supposed to cool down by the end of next week. Fall is coming.

Last week we heard something crash but looked all over the house and couldn't find anything. DH even looked up in the attic. Today I went into my exercise room to ride my bike and there were 2 mirror tiles that fell off the wall and shattered on the floor. Mystery solved. We will take 2 off the bottom row and replace the ones that fell off. Its a small room and the mirror tile makes it appear bigger. Also I can use the mirror to check my form.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-28-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #289  

Carol Sue I like reading about how people lose their weight and keep it off. I guess that is why I like the book I have of those who have. I think that is why Click was so appealing to me. Let me know if you learn something good. I ate a good breakfast/brunch at noon and I will eat another around 3ish. I think I will stick with the 5 hr eating window for now and eat what I want in moderation mainly because that is what my FBG likes.

I also remember another thing I learned about carbs. When I started checking my glucose after meals and certain food, I was surprised to learn that one thing the Drs. Heller say in their books isn't true or at least not for me. When I ate CM and checked my bg, it would go up. Supposedly the thing that makes eating carbs at only one meal RM is that you control your blood sugar by it going up only at the beginning of the RM which supposedly it won't go up again until after 60 minutes. If I hadn't been checking blood sugar after meals I would not have known any of this. I'm thinking the reason that CAD works is the fasting hours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second day of 2MAD has gone very well. Not a CAD day but a very good day. I enjoyed what I ate and am now into my fast until tomorrow. Carol Sue I hope your day has been good too.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-28-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:06 AM   #290  

Trish, I'm glad you had a good day. I read some things online about CAD that I wanted to show you but now I can't find it. I thought I bookmarked it. I was on my pc earlier so maybe I bookmarked it there. I'm losing my mind.

There is a book I want to read but its more money than I want to pay. She lost 100+ lbs and this book is her story. Unfortunately she gained it back. So she wrote another book about gaining it back and trying to lose it again but she couldn't do it again. Maybe that would be too depressing to read and both books are more than I want to pay anyway.

Tomorrow I will look for the CAD articles. I'm up late and want to go to bed.

Back up! I feel like I slept great but Fitbit says it was terrible. It was almost 8 hours so that's good for me. I'm not hungry so DH better not want me to eat breakfast. I don't know what I'm going to do today but I do want to exercise again.

The sale of the mobile home went well. They went thru it for the last time. Trish, you will appreciate this. Step daughter was so nervous her stomach was churning and she had to use the bathroom one last time.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-29-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #291  

Carol Sue Yes that is funny.

Weight is back down to 188.4 this morning. YAY!!! I am convinced it is the 2MAD. DH and I watched Dr. Berry last night talking about neuropathy and he says some people can reverse it with diet doing keto and fasting at least 14 to 20 hrs a day. DH and I will have to talk about that. I told DH that I think low carb will do just as well since he doesn't need to lose weight. He says he ways to much. He was 135 to 136. He says it is all in his stomach and he is right that is not the place to carry it. I know now why I did so well in SC because I mostly did low carb. I think my way of CAD was just 2 low carb similar to Atkins and RM was just a regular balanced meal for me we ate most of my life. So I don't think I ever did CAD as suggested. I might could use it to ease back into actual low carb. But for now I am going to just do 2MAD with IF approx 5 hrs apart. As long as I lose weight that is all that matters.

BBL

Old 08-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #292  

I agree. As long as you lose weight that's all that matters. You will always eat healthy IMO no matter what plan you follow. That's just how you have always been.

When I looked up CAD online I saw where it originally said 3 meals, 2 CM of low carb for which there was a list and RM whatever you want in any quantity as long as you ate within one hour. I think they changed it because I can see where many would take advantage and gorge themselves for an hour, then say the diet didn't work. My meals never last an hour but I could eat a lot in an hour!

I have read where low carb can be between 50-100 grams of carb. I think it depends on the individual. The 20 grams called for in Atkins induction Is meant to be for 2 weeks to get rid of the carb cravings and get you into ketosis. The sooner you get rid of the carb cravings the easier it will be to stay low carb. Because of DH it would be hard for me to avoid carbs, but not impossible. It would take constant diligence. However there are some carbs I don't want to give up. That's where the 50-100 carbs helps me. I think I can do that if I set my mind to it. Still the best thing for me is 2 meals in a 5-6 hour window. If I stick to that I can better control my overeating. I've been snacking at night lately which throws me off. I am my own worst enemy.

I hope you can find something that will help both you and DH. He could cut carbs but eat bigger portions than you or have an extra meal or a snack. He does very well eating whatever you cook.

I'm going to get on my pc and see if I saved those articles there.

It looks like I only bookmarked the one article.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...ticlekey=47006

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-29-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #293  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Barely squeaked out a confirmed half pound loss. I will change my sidebar to 25.5 (from 25). I've been on-plan but I feel terrible and am really exhausted most of the time.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #294  

Pipsicle Congratulations on the 1/2 lb loss. You have to work so hard to get that 1/2 lb so it is worth excitement.

Carol Sue I like the CAD plan and it worked for many years but I do like my toast with my eggs and I don't like eating a whole lot of cheese. For 2 days I had my egg, bacon and toast but added yogurt with berries. I am obviously getting enough fiber doing that or something because within an hour after eating I have potty issues for a bit cleaning me out. The same thing happened after dinner yesterday. That gets rid of weight. I read a list of side effects of fasting so I really think it is a side effect of fasting that should settle down in time.

Like you, I could do the 50 to 100 g carbs and might do that when I can get my head around it. I actually think Atkins plan was probably the best low carb plan because when done correctly you were to do 20 carbs for 2 weeks and then add back carbs I think something like 5 grams a day upping to 25 g a day and then if you are still losing weight you could 5 more for a week and if you still losing weight you could add another 5 etc etc until you stopped losing weight. That would tell you that you needed to back up 5 g to get back to the amount of carbs your body would tolerate each day until you got to goal. When you got to goal, you did the same thing of adding carbs until you started gaining again then back down to the amount of carbs you could eat and maintain. I have no idea why I just never could get back on it once I got off. I've heard many people had the same problem once they got off.

I also do best with 2MAD within 5 to 6 hrs eating window. It would be good for me to keep my carbs between 50 to 100 g at the most. That would take me back to MFP. LOL If I decide to count the carbs. If I do, I don't think I will worry about balancing the protein and fat. Another thing I read as kind of an intro to Dr. Fung's FB group and they said that while some people do keto or low carb, but not everybody does. They said IF will work with any diet plan you choose. So for now I'm just working on staying on 2 meals a day.

Have a good day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The word is that DH MIL to pass away and will be within hours now. Of course I am of the belief that God has the plan not a doctor or nurse. Now that I know that it is the side effect of fasting that causes me potty issues, I may not be able to actually fast on the trip and be very careful as to what I eat. I remember when I did 2MAD on vacation I had to be extremely careful with fast food or fried foods or I had issues. So may have to take a break. Today I had diarrhea so bad today that I was absolutely ragged out. I ended up eating soup instead of cooking and took anti-diarrhea pills to stop it. I will continue the plan until we know we have to leave to go to FL then I will just wait until I get back home to get back on strict plan

I pretty much have plans in my mind so that I can go without taking so many bags. I am going to get things half way packed so that as soon as we get the word, we can finish packing to leave. We are over 1000 miles from where we are going and will try to drive as far as we can before spending the night in a motel. We hope to make it to Pensacola. Then drive into Ocala the next day. We hope to meet DD and her family and stay in the same motel so we can spend as much time with them as possible. DH said it is sad that we have to go to a funeral to see family you only see at reunions.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-29-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #295  

Trish, I can't pinpoint what gives me the potty issues either but I know the ones I had recently weren't from fasting. Now I'm thinking it could be from taking Metformin in the morning but not eating until noon. I just automatically take all my pills. The bad thing is it probably causes me to lose part of my medication before its absorbed by my body and probably nutrients too.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #296  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Trish, I can't pinpoint what gives me the potty issues either but I know the ones I had recently weren't from fasting. Now I'm thinking it could be from taking Metformin in the morning but not eating until noon. I just automatically take all my pills. The bad thing is it probably causes me to lose part of my medication before its absorbed by my body and probably nutrients too.
I found out tonight that DH is having issues so I don't think it is the fast. We decided to stop the collagen until we return from FL because DS said she and BIL think it causes them to have the same issues. I hope we can figure it out and hopefully before our trip.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #297  

I had a pretty good sleep last night. Fitbit rated it 81. Usually its in the 70s. I feel rested. But that doesn't mean I won't nap. I haven't done that for a few days.

I haven't been staying in my fasting window so I'm afraid to see the number on the scale.

I won't take my Metformin until I eat. I am also changing the way I take my G. I am supposed to take 2 mg a day with meals. I'm afraid of it because it can cause a low so I don't usually take it until after I eat and blood sugar has started to rise. That's bad because it doesn't start working right away and blood sugar goes too high before starting to come down. So I took 1/2 this morning. It says online that it takes up to 2 hours to start working and that will be around the time I eat. That meal is usually low carb. Dinner is a larger meal and usually has more carbs so I will take 2 mg then. I'll see how this is working when I get my A1c in November. I'm also considering eating less at dinner. I have a tendency to eat it all because its there. It might help blood sugar and weight to eat less. I think I do that because I'm afraid I will get hungry later on but if I do I can always eat again. There is no food shortage here.

I'm also going to try to get more fiber. Low Carbers say we don't need fiber but it is helpful with blood sugar and also weight. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. It will entail eating more food than I'm eating now or replacing something I'm eating now. I didn't like the Fiber One Haystack I made. Too much chocolate. (Hard to believe I said that!). They are still in the refrigerator and need to go in the garbage tomorrow. I need to find something else I can do with the Fiber One. I'll Google.

My Sister in law fell down the steps yesterday and broke her arm. I am so afraid of falling down the stairs. She does not have a railing on her stairs. This is why I can't go to her house for more than 1 hour because her bathroom is on the second floor. We have a railing on both sides of our cellar steps. I have to hold both railings and I'm still afraid. I think her stairs are carpeted which makes them more dangerous but that might have kept her from getting hurt worse.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-30-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #298  

Carol Sue Sorry to hear that your SIL fell and broke her arm. I hope she will mend well. I go up the steps into the beauty shop even though they have a ramp because I feel that I need to do it when I can. I wouldn’t do it if they didn’t have rails though.

I really think it is important to eat fiber. I think that is why I can’t do very low carbs plans and I don’t think I can even do the CAD plan even though it is my favorite. So I need to think in terms of moderate low carb between 50 and 100 g within IF eating window of 4 - 6 hrs. Last night my eating window was longer because I actually got hungry. So I had a protein snack making my window more of a 9 hr instead. I hope to make that a rare experience. So I am sticking to Intermittent Fasting no matter whether it will be OMAD, 2MAD and perhaps there will be a protein snack when needed but it will definitely be no more than 8 hrs. When DH and I watched Dr. Berry on YouTube on neuropathy, he said you should fast a minimum of 14 to 20 hrs daily. My goal is to do at least 19 most days and just trust the weight will come as well as healing. At least I now know that I can drink 0 calories during my fasts in order to get the healing benefits from them.

Carol Sue I think we both have our plan now we have to work at making it a lifestyle. We can it just takes practicing it everyday. We will have good and bad days. I think we have to just not stress over the bad days because I think stress makes more bad days.

I didn’t sleep long and neither did DH. He was up way early and I’m sure the not know when we have to make our trip. I plan to do the packing that I can today so that when we get word, we can throw together the last minutes stuff and head out. It is a long trip. We both want to go but I think we both dread it and being hurricane season doesn’t help. We need to go to Walmart because I need to get some new walking shoes. I usually wear sandals but like to wear the walking shoes when traveling because we regularly get out walk to ward off clots and stretch our legs.

Weight this morning 188 lb down .4 lbs from yesterday. I hope to keep that movement downward.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #299  

Trish, it didn't dawn on me that you have to go through hurricane areas. That's a scary thought because you don't know what you will encounter.

I haven't heard from my sister in law but we don't keep in touch regularly. I will probably hear more through my step daughter since they are in the same age group. I'm just wondering if they will put a railing on their steps now. She is the one who was so helpful to me when DH was in the hospital. I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't stepped up.

I took a nap and when I got up DH had made dinner. Its something I really like and I want to eat some but I also wanted to skip dinner and start my fast early. I need it. I don't want him to throw it away so I will wrap it up and refrigerate it. Maybe eat it tomorrow. I will be better if I know its there when I want it.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #300  

I haven't done well with eating today. I know I need to do better. DH couldn't sleep and he said he was up at 8:30 and then he got up again before 11 am. I only slept 6 hrs last night. We are both stress eating I think because we are tired and the waiting. It is terrible to when you feel bad about just waiting for someone to take their last breath. We have heard nothing today and of course, we know from having done this before that Mom could linger for weeks.

Carol Sue You are right. We don't know what we will go through going through between here and FL. We plan to try to make it to Pensacola before stopping to spend the night and I heard they were facing a tornado. I haven't seen the weather afterwards to know if it did. Plus I think they are already looking at another hurricane that could move into the Gulf. So a lot going on.

I came off of the CAD group and won't go back on it because I won't go back to it. One of my problems is eating too many carbs at one meal. I plan to try to eat reasonably healthy between now and our return from FL. I think the wise thing for me right now is to do 16:8 until I return from the trip.

Oh did you know Dr. Fung changed the name of us website to The Fasting Method (TFM). If I understood Megan right they closed his practice and they travel holding meeting to teach others about TFM.

I hope to get a good nights sleeep tonight.

Closed Thread