3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat Spring 2021 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/322755-diabetes-prediabetes-chat-spring-2021-a.html)

Wannabehealthy 03-19-2021 06:30 AM

Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat Spring 2021

Have you been diagnosed with Diabetes, or told that you have Pre-Diabetes? Join us here to discuss diet and exercise to improve your health!

You can review the Winter Chat by following this link.

Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat Winter 2020/2021 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Wannabehealthy 03-19-2021 06:45 AM

It was so nice to be able to start the Spring thread! I'm more than ready to put winter behind me. That's what's nice about having 4 seasons, there's always something to look forward to.

I want to work toward getting more involved with exercise this season. I seem to put it off, but exercise is VERY important with diabetes. It helps control your blood sugar, and helps with insulin resistance in Type 2. I've been reading a lot about insulin lately and high insulin levels are the cause of many metabolic disease issues, like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes. I used to exercise more but have really gotten away from it lately. So that is my goal for Spring. Don't let me forget it!!

Do you have a goal in mind?

Wannabehealthy 03-19-2021 08:47 AM

The sewer company was here for 2 minutes and left. They looked at it, said it was perfect, took a picture and drove away. So glad that's over with. Everybody in the neighborhood had to do it except the woman next door who has a newer house. They must have done hers when the house was built.

pattygirl63 03-19-2021 01:10 PM

Carol Sue My scale was bad this morning too. I can't believe that I jumped that much over night to 191 so I'm sure it was fluid from the chipped beef and not drinking enough water plus I weigh so much earlier on Friday to go to the beauty shop. I like coming home from the beauty shop but there are just so many places to go to over in that part of town. When they move the 1st it will be right next to Target and directly across the street from $Tree. I think we will be able to go without masks pretty soon and I might want to shop on nice days.

I haven't done my exercises for a good week now so I definitely want to get back to it. I need to learn some new exercises because I think I've gotten bored with the bike all the time. Saying that, I would love to get back to at least do 30 minutes 5 days a week on the bike like I was doing in SC. My baby sister is moving back here next month. They are coming next week to look for a house to buy and wants to moved out here close to us. I think that will be good for me. She does low carb and I just might get back to it myself. It is springtime and I am getting hungry for some of the low carb meals I used to eat. It might not be bad to shake things up by eating low carb again or at least moderately low. We don't eat a lot of meat lately and I am really hungry for some beef. I like WW except I got so tired of all the fish and chicken and I tried eating ground turkey but just couldn't go it. I had breakfast with toast, eggs and bacon this morning and will try to eat a low carb lunch. I finally found me so peeps that I love around Easter and bought 2 little packages. I've eat one and might put the other one in the freezer. I may just ease into low carbing again. As much as I like IE, I just don't have time to gain weight while waiting to get my head on straight so I can stop thinking about losing weight. So I guess IE may not be for me after all. I will continue reading the book etc, but I think I may have dieted too many years to change now. Of course, my big problem is that I do Not want to gain back up over 200 lbs. I am either going to do moderately low carb or I will go back to WW. I will decide by April 1st.

I'm glad your plumbing passed inspection and that is over.

Other than feeling kind of tired, I feel like I have come through the vaccines very well. I heard from DH daughter this morning and grandson is feeling much better today. Funny thing is I felt my heart race after I got the first shot but I didn't have any of that this time. I'm glad they are getting them in PA now. I'm hearing now that by summertime this may be behind us. DH daughter said they think they have a handle on it now that more people are getting the vaccine. I pray so.

Have a good day.

Edited: Decided not to play around with this any more. I am back to counting calories using MFP. Can't allow myself to lose ground. I've lost too much weight to start gaining again. OP today.

Wannabehealthy 03-19-2021 06:03 PM

We went to my favorite restaurant again today and I had scrod, DH had salmon. They are supposed to be at 50% capacity but they are always crowded. Every seat in the dining room and the bar were taken. We had a 20 minute wait and they put us and some other people in the banquet room. We were spaced out in there which was good. I am glad that masks are still mandated here. I am not ready to go without. One man who was waiting with us said if you haven't had the virus yet you probably won't get it but why are there still over 100 positive tests per day? Its just too soon for us in PA to let our guard down.

pattygirl63 03-20-2021 01:36 AM

Well, today was what IE calls the last supper day of eating because I ate the junk food I had bought and now they are gone. Tomorrow I will go back to eating OP. I don't feel guilty because it was a planned day to eat those foods I really wanted so that I now have it out of my system. I won't buy them any more so they won't be in the house for quite some time. I am not going to say I will never eat them again, I just won't be hungry for them for a while.

I scanned through the Stress Diet book of the Heller's where they push people eating a big breakfast. I want breakfast but I really don't want a big breakfast plus I only want to eat breakfast when I am hungry for it. I don't want any more "have to" eat foods. I gues that is why diets don't necessarily work for me.

Headed to bed soon. Good night.

Wannabehealthy 03-20-2021 07:36 AM

My weight is still going up.

Trish, I've heard a lot of people talk about Last Supper Syndrome and so many times I have finished off bad food that I had in the house so I could start over, never asking myself why I bought that food in the first place. Recently I have been buying "salad stuff" with the intentions of eating a salad every day then throwing it all out when it goes bad. I know I feel so much better when I eat light so I don't know what's got into me. Yesterday I had scrod and ordered green beans with it instead of the rice pilaf I usually order. I refused the roll that usually comes with it and that was very difficult. Now I feel I should have had the things I like if I was going to gain any way. I also drank 2 bottles of water that tasted so refreshing but all I got out of that was getting up 3 times during the night. But I'm not a quitter. I'll try again today to improve my eating and get the scale going back down.

Wannabehealthy 03-20-2021 08:42 AM

I am reading the P:E Diet by Dr Ted Newman. It is high protein, low carb, and low fat. I am interested in him explaining how the body works. I don't know how I got this book. It is $20 on Amazon and I would not pay that much for it, but its on my Kindle Fire in PDF form. He is a practicing PCP. An online friend goes to him and has lost 130 lbs on this diet, but I could not follow it living with DH. But its interesting. Everyone has a different view of things. One thing he says is don't try to lose weight eating less of the same food that made you fat, which describes me.

pattygirl63 03-20-2021 11:45 AM

Well the191was real and with all the sugar it was 191.6 at one point so I guess I should count the 191.6 and make today my WI day because I need a starting point again. BP was up to 113 and I know that was the sugar too.

Back OP. I have done my calisthenics and will do approx 20 minutes (2 miles) on the bike. I don't know what DH did with my 5 lb kettle bell so I guess I will have to order another one. I don't think I should do the 10 lb one yet if ever. I definitely want to get back to the exercises.

I decided that I do best not eating breakfast plus on days like today I shouldn't eat it any way. I am making spaghetti. Mine will be mostly WWSF because I use whole grain pasta which is 0 pts. I think on SF that my Sara Lee Bread is 0 pts or 1 pt and my diet margarine is no more than 2 pts so I probably won't spend many pts. Although I will be tracking mine on MFP. Spaghetti sauce is in the crockpot. I couldn't do a strict lowcarb because of DH. So I know what you mean. That is why a semi-CAD plan always worked better for me but I can't have all my carbs at one meal because it makes me lethargic after. I don't know it would work if I just balanced it like CALP of 1/3,1/3,1/3 because I don't know how to balance in my dairy etc.

I'm completely over the soreness of my arm so I guess other than the wanting to sleep for almost 24 hrs, you might I breezed through the vaccination. I am so thankful. Even DGS is doing okay.

Mad I do so pray you are doing okay. I wonder about you when we don't hear from you for a long time. Did you get the vaccine yet? I hope you are just too busy to check in.

Pipsicle I pray your week has been better. I'm hearing more and more people are having problems right now because of the lockdowns everyone is so stressed.

Have a good day everybody.

Wannabehealthy 03-20-2021 01:26 PM

Trish, I am hoping Mad is ok too. It has been 8 days since she posted and normally it's every 3-4 days. Come check in, Mad!

Trish, if you are ok skipping breakfast then do it. We are all different. Don't force yourself to eat a meal that you dont really want. I could skip dinner more easily than breakfast but DH HAS to have dinner. He hasn't been eating many potatoes but I don't know if he's having less pain than before. He has had French fries out but not home cooked. Ill have to ask him. These potatoes are going to go bad if they don't get eaten. I told him to try buying red potatoes but he prefers russet.

Eating the way you describe your meal today sounds very much like you were doing on WW and I think that's your plan, whether you pay or do it on your own.

I wish I could remember where I got this P:E PDF. I can't put it down. I find it really hard to believe i paid $20 for it. Im too cheap to do that! I've had it for a while but never started reading it.He made me understand why Atkins requires 2 full weeks of Induction. If I was alone I would be doing this. He actually allows up to 100 GM of carb but they are not carbs as we know them and he recommends only having them at dinner. Similar to CAD.

I have no plans for today.

pattygirl63 03-20-2021 01:54 PM

Carol Sue I too could do Atkins or Keto if it was just me but it isn't going to work with DH and me. It would take me 2 weeks of Induction to stop wanting to eat starchy carbs. I cook them for him and that make me want them too.

pattygirl63 03-20-2021 06:47 PM

Carol Sue I bought the book your reading in pdf. It is so much easier to understand why Atkins worked so well for me. I was probably doing Atkins back when I was doing IE and was going so long without eating. I wrote you saying I could low carb or keto if I didn't have to cook for DH.

Now the most amazing thing of all after dinner DH told him that he wanted me to watch this guy with him. His name is Dr. Sten Ekberg who is explaining 14 Treatments for Insulin Resistance on YouTube. He is saying pretty much what we are reading in the P:E Diet book. I am so amazed because DH agrees with this guy. I don't know what DH will decide to do, but he seems to know that you can't feed the body starches and sugar and control insulin. He doesn't eat much protein but that just might change now.

I looked this guy up and he has some great videos on IF, Ketogenics and much more. I want to watch some more of them. He even talks about the coronavirus and why people probably die from it. DH is watching one now on coronavirus and our immune system. How wonderful it will be if DH decides to eat this way.

All this info shows me why Atkins worked so good for me when I was doing it and back then I really, really did not get hungry for carbs. It helps to understand how it works.

Wannabehealthy 03-20-2021 08:54 PM

Trish, I can't put this book down. I am on the part about IF. Did you pay $20 for it? I must have, but that is not like me. The information is so worth the money. A woman on the other forum told me about him. He is her PCP.

pattygirl63 03-20-2021 09:47 PM

Carol Sue Yes, I paid $20 on Amazon to get it on my kindle. I can't read it once DH wants me to watch movies with him even if I'm not all that interested in them. LOL Any way I look forward to reading more tomorrow or may read some before I go to bed if I'm not tired when he turns off the tv.

Knowing what you said earlier, I had t he carb meal when we had spaghettii. Then later this evening I had a few slices of lunch meat DH bought at Sam's along with an oz of cubed cheddar cheese. The amazing thing is that just as he says in the book, the protein satisfied me so I haven't been hungry. I don't want to buy a lot of meat/protein until I get my new freezer but I think when my BS (baby sister) gets my deep freezer and I get the new upright I want to order, I am going to think about going more keto like woe. I think understanding how it all works will make it easier to do. And if DH does decide to do it it with me that will make it even better.

I appreciate you sharing the book with me. I agree the book is worth the money. I look forward to reading more tomorrow. This has been a very productive day. Thanks.

Good night.

Wannabehealthy 03-21-2021 06:57 AM

We had pizza for dinner. My weight is down 2.4 lbs from 195.2 to 192.8. I had several bowel movements yesterday so maybe I was retaining poop! Tomorrow we will see if the loss is real.

I watched 2 videos of Sten Eckberg. The one about Caronavirus was made before the vaccine. The one about IR was the drugs and how they are NOT the right treatment. The things he said remind me of Dr Fung.

DH said no pain since he stopped eating potatoes. He usually fried them. Today we will try mashed.

In the section about IF Dr Neiman said you can eat like CAD, no carbs at breakfast and lunch but have then at your evening meal. But only certain carbs. He allows up to 100 GM per day, but he is including vegetable carbs. And he says never eat carb and fat together. I've heard that before. I could cook meat and veggies and include a carb for DH. I could make it work if I'm determined.

He also said you could do this in steps starting with a low carb/no carb breakfast. Once you can do that add lunch, then dinner, and some can keep carbs in dinner,but no sweets.

Trish, your DH does not need to lose weight but he does need to reduce blood sugar. I don't think he's insulin resistant. I wonder how this plan would effect his weight.

pattygirl63 03-21-2021 12:49 PM

Carol Sue I agree DH doesn't need to give up anything but the sugar and maybe some of the carby foods that seems to raise bs. He doesn't eat fat because he doesn't like it but should eat a little more protein. I think the signal that shows he doesn't eat enough protein is that he is hungry all the time. So he mostly has to tweak his diet plan for the blood sugar since he does not need to lose weight.

I am going to give up on the IE group and left it today. Also left the calorie groups mainly because I don't have time. I am going to work at low carbing again although I really have no desire to give up milk if I don't have to. I have some ideas on how to do a better job of eating lower carb. I have to read the book some more and I also have some of the info on YouTube of Dr. Ekberg that I want to listen. I think the reason he sounds so much like Dr. Fung is that he is Swedish like that other low carb doctor we used to listen to who led us to Dr. Fung. Remember that doctor said they had decided in Sweden to stop using the Western form of diets and go with low carb and found that people were improving their health, etc. I think that doctor was an MD like Dr. Fung where Dr. Ekberg is a Chiropractor.

Weight coming back down and was 191. so I lost the .6 gain of yesterday. I am working on a fast today until 3 if I can, but starting to feel a little shaky so not sure I can. We are doing breakfast for our main meal today. I think I could do the semi-CAD plan and eat only low carb the other meals. I want to see more about what this book has to say. I don't want to do the newer WW because they only use white chicken and turkey meat and fish for their 0 pts foods. Eating only fish and chicken might be okay but on low carb, I like some beef and pork too. So I will probably do low carb most of the time with some carby meals once in a while. My goal is to lose the weight since my bs is doing pretty well too.

Edited: Just went on MFP and reset my goals for high protein, low carb and moderately low fat. I already have my fiber set at 21 grams. So the easiest way I know how to do this on MFP is to subtract the fiber from the total carbs of the day to get my net carbs which will be 76 net for today with calories at 1013, Will see how this works. I also plan to do this along with IF window of 8 hrs or less.

Hope to hear from Mad and Pipsicle today.

Have a good day.

Wannabehealthy 03-21-2021 03:20 PM

Trish, somewhere in the book I read where he said how much protein fat and carbs and mine calculated to 110 GM of protein, and for weight loss carbs and fat should be no more than half of that so 55 gm net carbs and fat. I don't intend to get that deep into it. I will increase protein and reduce carbs, for now. Wait til you see the exercise section! Not a chance! LOL

I had a McDonalds Sausage and egg mc muffin for breakfast. I know an English muffin is not an acceptable carb but it was my only carb all day. At noon I cooked some chicken legs for Rusty. I cut off the meat and put it in a container for him. Then I ate the meat still on the bones, so maybe equal to one chicken leg. I made steak, Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes for DH and I ate steak and Brussels sprouts. I might track on MFP just to see what my macros were but I'm not going to count macros on a daily basis. I ate just meat eggs fish and veggies in the past and lost weight and had good labs, so I'll do that now.

Trish, you could use your protein shakes to increase your protein, too if you still buy them. I wonder if your DH would do IF. I know my DH would NOT. He thinks you'll die if you miss a meal! LOL. However, he ate very little when he was in the hospital and rehab and he lost 28 lbs but has since regained. Mostly he would eat any fruit, applesauce etc that they gave him but not much else. But he eats something every night before bed.

Pipsicle 03-21-2021 10:20 PM

I am still working on stopping the upward trend. I had an unexpected NSV this weekend. I went skiing this weekend and for the first time in the probably five years I have owned them, I was able to fully snap and comfortably wear my ski pants. I have always been able to snap them standing up but could never sit in them when they were snapped at the waist. This weekend I could do both. The pants are made of a stiff synthetic material that does not stretch at all. It is so weird because my regular pants have been feeling tighter.

pattygirl63 03-22-2021 03:17 AM

Carol Sue You always ate less carb than me. For a while I will probably do the semi-CAD carb meal and low carb for the others. My eating window was longer (9 hrs) because I got hungry but I my low carb eating are little snacks of protein and no starch veggies. Plus I always get hungry more after eating breakfast for our main meal for some reason. However, I did good so I'm happy with it.

Pipsicle That is great that you got to go skiing. That and ice skating are things I've never had the opportunity to do living in the south. How exciting to be able to wear those pants too.

Wannabehealthy 03-22-2021 07:00 AM

Pipsicle, great on wearing the ski pants and being able to sit in them! Keep trying with the weight. Weight loss is very hard. Our bodies don't want to let go. But we can win as long as we don't give up.

Well, my weight loss held and went down another .6. I have already started the low carb flu. I don't remember it being this bad before. I wasn't hungry, but my body wanted sugar, specificly chocolate, the fun size Kit Kat DH has. But I didn't want to break my fast or eat sugar, or anything else. It was hard but I made it. I have a headache this morning but black coffee is helping. I feel good that I survived without giving in.

DH had bad shoulder pain last night so I guess mashed potatoes aren't ok. We are going to try red potatoes.

It is going to be harder to stay low carb today. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast. DH put a half slice of toast on my plate and I ate it and enjoyed it. If it had been my zero net carb bread I would not have been concerned. Sometimes he will give it to me and other times he gives me regular. I know it is up to me to not eat it but you can't put something I like in front of me and expect me to not eat it. I'm lucky it was only half. Then I ate an avocado that was getting too ripe. At least that gave me some fiber. I feel full, as if I overate, but I think it was ok since it was lower carb. I mainly want to avoid sugar. I don't know how the rest of the day will go. I think we are eating out for dinner and that could be bad depending on what I choose. I want to have a,salad for lunch but it depends on what DH has planned for the day. He's the boss.

I had lunch already. A chicken leg and a big salad. So I'm not hungry, but my body is screaming for carbs. It was never this hard in the past.

DH made pasta and sauce for his lunch. I picked up a forkful and put it in my mouth, but before even chewing, I spit it into the sink. It is not worth it to screw this up. I'll get through it somehow.

pattygirl63 03-22-2021 03:02 PM

Carol Sue It is good to know you can get the scale moving again. It is work but we will do it. I gave into eating 2 slices of sandwich type meat that DH had bought since it is protein and thank God it didn't hurt my loss today but it broke my fast. So I know what you mean. I have to start planning better when we have eggs for our main meal on Sunday because I definitely want to get my 20 hr fasts again. I which I won't get today. When we have done this for a while correctly a slip like that once in a while won't be disastrous like it can be while trying to get to that point.

I don't think the avocado is a bad thing. It is a healthy fat and I am seeing it considered a fruit on some low carb/keto plans. I think it is good to have them because the fat curbs the appetite. I want to start buying them again from Walmart because they are smaller. In SC I ate one a day and had no problem with weight loss. I've been using some diet margarine when I was WW but after listening to Dr. Edberg on fats, I ate real butter on my MGSL toast yesterday. Avocado is also good to use on toast in place of butter and much healthier.

My weight this morning was back down to 188.6 so not eating until 3ish each day obviously is key to my weight loss as well as eating low carb snacks rather than low carb meals and eating all my carbs at 3ish. So I will continue this woe at least until I use up the carby foods that we have recently bought. I would love to eventually do ketoish to lose weight but may find that eating this way with a shorter eating window is what works best for me. My fasts aren't true fasts because I start my day off will coffee with SF creamer and Stevia somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 am most days. so my fast is just a liquid fast in the morning instead of breakfast. If I can stick to my rule of 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm eating window, I will still get a good 4 hr eating window and 20 hr fast with 14 hrs of that being a clean fast.

I watched another Dr. Ekberg video on sweeteners that was very interesting. I am happy to know that my Stevia is one of the ones that gets a green light all across the board. There are 4 that get the green light Monkfruit, Chicory Root and another one I didn't know of which I've never used. These don't have any toxicity. He spoke about a lot of them. Liquid Stevia is best from the 500 serving brand but I don't know where you to get it. I have a liquid I get at the local store that isn't easy to use and changes the taste of thinks. I noticed that there is a difference in the one Stevia I get at Walmart and local as to how it mixes in liquid. The one from the local store mixes better so I think it is how it is mixed because Walmart brand has <1 carb where as the local store brand has 0. There are others that work but these 4 on his list were the best to choose from because of either how it is made or what it is added to it to make it toxic etc. and how it affects keto, glucose, IR, BIOME and toxicity. A lot of good information.

Carol Sue In an IE video I watched it was mentioned eating pasta made from vegetables like spinach and I think I've seen one recently made from lentils. I'm thinking of getting something like that to eat with my spaghetti sauce next time instead of the multigrain.

Cod fish on the menu today. I am going to bake it in lemon butter and add salad and veggies to it. I have been hungry for chocolate lately so I keep a little package of Dark Chocolate Dove candy pieces in the freezer. Four is a serving and some days I may have 2 of them. One thing I learned on WW is that I don't have to eat a whole serving of anything. I can eat enough to satisfy the taste. I also have 1 Fiber One with a cup of coffee for dessert at this time because it is high in fiber and keeps me regulated and signals that I am finished eating. This being my semi-cad meal also is when I can have my milk. Around 7, I will have a small low carb meal or snack.

Since I have to plan this to keep my IF ratio, there is no way I can do IE woe. Carol Sue you and I are not only doing this to lose weight but to control blood sugar along with avoiding diseases because of our ages. I think we are both on the right track. Hopefully your hunger for sugar will go away.

Have a good day everybody.

Wannabehealthy 03-22-2021 06:48 PM

I forgot to mention that yesterday I did not check my blood sugar because not eating any carbs after that English muffin in the morning I figured it would go down. I took 1 Metformin and no G. At bedtime my blood sugar was 102. I was so excited. If I can continue to eat low-carb I might be able to stop G. I will not tell my doctor though because I want to continue taking my G if I need it. This morning FBG was 130 due to DP so I took 1/2 with breakfast.

I want to eat an avocado twice a week. They are healthy but if I eat them too often I get sick of them.

Today we went out to the new local casino because they gave us $60 free play every week until 5/1. I lost mine but DH came home with $175. So free money! On the way home we ate at Texas Roadhouse. I had salmon again. I'm not tired of it yet. I had mushrooms and green beans, no potato and no rolls. That was hard but every day it should get easier. My body still wants sugar but not as bad as yesterday. We stopped at the grocery store and I got some deli turkey so I can have a turkey roll up if I need something.

Trish, its ok if you don't get a 20 hour fast every day and probably better to vary it. Dr Naiman said if you are doing IF especially with a short eating window you can get away with more carbs. I will probably not stay as low carb as I'm eating now but I want to do it long enough to get a decent drop into the 180s and a solid good start. I know if I keep this up eventually my body will stop craving sugar. I had a 16 HR fast overnight and 18 the night before. I know if I give in and eat sugar/carbs I will have to start over at day 1.

pattygirl63 03-23-2021 03:03 AM

Carol Sue That is great news not having to take the G. In time even the FBG will be better. Dr. Ekberg talks about how it is slow but it does come down with low carb. Is the new casino closer to y'all. I think I remember you saying it was.

I think of myself eating a longer window because of eating when I get hungry at night but I just realized that I still only ate within 7 hrs so that isn't bad. I guess I did better than I thought. I think I will have to throw out the few Fiber One bars that I have because I think whatever sugar substitute is a sugar alcohol and it gives me potty issues. I really want to start phasing out some of the carby foods that I eat as well as start making better choices for my second meal. Being it is low carb, I think I'm not eating enough of a good quality protein. I drank a Premium shake tonight and still wanted a slice of ham with cheese. Maybe I need the protein, I don't know. Probably need to do a 2 week Aktins Induction but my baby sister will be coming in Sunday and I don't want to be feeling like crap while she is here. She is the one who does Keto/Low carb.

Carol Sue Dr. Ekberg says not to eat the same # of IF ratio all the time. He says it is good to shake it up instead of using the same everyday. He says our body figures out what we are doing and gets comfortable and we may not do as well as we would if we mixed it up once in a while. I watched today about cortisol and how the exercise we've been taught to do causes more cortisol. I remember Dr. Agastaton in his second South Beach Diet book said to do fast, slow alternate speed was better now I understand why. In fact, this doc explains so much easier for me to understand Keto and LCHF better and how and why it works. He also seems to think it is good to do keto but not all the time. I'm not sure if that is because the body does adjust so much or what. Keto seems to be more for getting things under control and then move into LCHF as they both will help with weight loss and health.

Did you see where the guy who started Texas Roadhouse killed himself. Seems that besides the struggle of the business during the pandemic, he recently had covid symptoms. I hope it doesn't change the quality of their business doesn't change. Sometimes when kids inherit a business things change.

Wannabehealthy 03-23-2021 06:13 AM

Trish, when we were at Texas Roadhouse they had table set up with a memorial for him. I think the business will be just fine. I don't know that his children were involved.

My weight is up .2. I think I know why. I tracked my food yesterday. I only had 38 gm of carb but I overate in an effort to up my protein to 110 GM like Dr Naiman said and as a result that I also ended up with too much fat. He says it should be half of protein. So now I think I need to find a way to maximize protein without increasing fat. Or maybe I don't need 110 GM of protein. I ate a couple slices of deli turkey and that increased protein and fat but it also took away my craving for sweets so that's good. I just need to find a balance. I know of people who gain on Keto. I am satisfied with 192.4 and I think I learned some things. Dr Naiman says not to do high fat if you want to lose body fat so I want to eat lean protein and not eat extra fat. So I guess I'm doing LCLF.

I just looked up the nutrition in an avocado. I am not going to buy them for a while. I know the fat is healthy fat but the carbs are also high. I want to eat more lower carb veggies that don't have that much fat at least until I get going with this.

I think having your other sister near you will help you. She will be a good influence on you.

fatmad 03-23-2021 08:22 AM

Hi friends: no have not been doing well. More difficulty sleeping, and not eating well. I got up to being a beast: 166.6
I finally managed a fast yesterday. I asked DH to eat his supper in the dining room while I was in the living room.
Today I am down 2 pounds to 164.6
I plan to eat Keto today and on my eating days. I have only made a plan for 4 days, fast again tomorrow and eat again on Thursday. I will then make a plan with DH for the weekend.
I am a little dopey this morning, took a bit of an old prescription to help me sleep, and it did. I know I stopped it because it did not seem to work.
But something sure worked last night. I slept about 9 hours, which I have not done in ages.

Pipsicle: glad for the NSV, wonder why? Have you built up some muscle and lost a bit of fat? good for you.

Glad people are ok overall; now the good weather is coming, my knee is better and more time outside. Hope the same for everyone

Wannabehealthy 03-23-2021 08:37 AM

Mad I am so glad to hear from you. We were worried. I'm glad you finally got some good sleep. Hope it continues. I have no doubt that you will get your weight under control.

Trish, I didn't answer your question about the new casino. It is 20 minutes away and the others are an hour away or an hour and a half away. We rarely go to the one an hour and a half away . The new casino is small, in a closed department store at the mall. I used to shop there. As I walk thru I can say, this used to be the shoe department, this was jewelry, and the restrooms are in the same place they were in the department store, probably because of the plumbing. They still have the door leading to the mall so I could leave and go to J C Penneys or eat at the food court.

I was surprised to see that I had 1700+ calories yesterday! think I'm doing better today but I ate the last avocado so that's raising carbs and fat. I had scrambled eggs with the avocado and for lunch a salad with a slice of turkey chopped in. When I eat turkey I usually have a slice of Swiss cheese with it but I'm now omitting that. I know of a lot of people whose weight loss stalls with cheese and its not really a favorite for me. I'm making pork and sauerkraut for dinner with grilled asparagus. I have no cravings for sugar/candy today so that only lasted 2 days. No headache either. Hoping for a drop tomorrow.

I was thinking of getting something like the fiber one bars for fiber but I don't want anything that will lead to potty issues. Maybe my veggies will give me enough fiber.

pattygirl63 03-23-2021 02:22 PM

Mad So good to hear from you. Glad you got a good nights sleep. This doctor I've been listening to speaks of keto for weight loss. He seems to think a lot like Dr. Fung. Remember Dr. Fung talked about not doing the same thing all the time and this doc explains a lot about why we have to shake things up even when fasting because of how our bodies adapt so easily to new routines. Also I'm glad to hear that your knee is better with the warm weather because your walks helped you a lot. It won't be long until you will get everything under control and the scales moving lower.

Carol Sue Sounds the new casino could be a good thing for you and DH especially if y'all start winning and the coupons are good too. This way you can go and walk around the mall some and still play which your Hubby seems to like for you to do. Maybe you can find an eating place where you can even eat OP. I used to do that some when DH and I would go to the mall in SC even if it was a carb meal.

I want to listen to some more of Dr. Ekberg's videos to see if he tells what are the best fiber foods on keto/LCHF woe. I definitely want to get away from the sugar alcohols. I actually like ice cream when the weather gets warm and will just have to make them. I want to go more low carb and when BS leaves to go back home to get her stuff to move back here, I think I will move into a 2 week keto woe to see how I will do. I even thought of reading some of the 2nd SBD book and do Dr. Agatson's 2 week intro to SBD. I think that taking taking SBD and using that plan with good fats in place of some of the bad fats people eat too much of in Atkins sometimes would be a great way of doing LCHF plan. I know when I originally did SBD that I didn't agree with the no fat plan because I liked my bacon etc which I could have on Atkins so I just ate my bacon and added things like avocado so that I could eat some of the better fats. Then when we went out to eat where I couldn't control all of that I would have a CAD reward meal with carbs within 60 minutes rule. It worked and I was losing weight. The other thing I like about SBD is I didn't have to give up milk and no counting calories or carbs.

Weight back down to 187.? I was so shocked to see the 187 that I forgot if it was .6 or .4 so counted it as 187.6 on my record sheet. FBG has been 108 for 2 days and bp is good. I got a new bp monitor it tells me my readings and then tells me my bp is normal. LOL Can you believe this?

Pork chops are on the menu today with a salad and after you mentioning sauerkraut, I 've decided that we will have that for our veggie. I will finish my meal with yogurt and blueberries for my dessert. Since I drink milk, I will continue using it but after this doctor explained that the higher the fat in milk the lower the sugar, I will switch to whole milk when I run out of my 0% fat. I guess that is why that Muslim said to drink whole milk if you are just drinking it once a day. I thought that was interesting to learn. When I run out of my store bought yogurt, I will go back to making my own.

Have a blessed day everybody.

Wannabehealthy 03-23-2021 03:51 PM

Trish, I think its funny that we both had pork for dinner. DH gets boneless loin chops and I had boneless country ribs. I prefer the bone in, but this was what they had.

We will only go to this new casino when we have free play. Most of the machines don't pay out. DH just got lucky. The mall isn't very crowded anymore. Sears closed and some of the smaller stores. There used to be 2 sit down restaurants but they closed, too, plus McDonalds in the food court. I think the pandemic was really bad for the mall.

pattygirl63 03-23-2021 11:52 PM

I had a wonderful eating day with a 5 hr eating window. I am eating less than 100 g of carbs each day but at today my net carbs were 71 g. Calorie count was 1200. So I call this a good day with protein being a higher 35% of calories, carbs were 28% and and the rest was fat making today a LCHF day. So I very pleased with my eating day. I did eat the Fiber One but since it is a high protein bar with high fiber, I decided to try eating it with the low carb meal and no potty issues. So it looks like I just can't eat all my fiber with one meal. Plus the total fiber was only 15 grams so maybe I can't eat high fiber like I was trying to do. As long as this works that is all I care about. I will continue with the 5 hr eating window for a while before I switch things up. I think in order not to let my body adjust to this way, I will figure out a way to shake this up after a few weeks and go to a different eating window.

Carol Sue I learned today that DH only likes kraut with franks. I actually enjoyed having it with the pork so on days we have pork, I will cook him some other veggie while I have kraut.

We used to go to the mall in SC, but we haven't been to the big enclosed one here. Not much there any more since Sears closed and I don't think we even have a Penneys here any more. That is something we need to do when people start going out more. I'm still not planning on getting out a lot until April because some say you should wait 2 weeks after vaccine shot. I use to love window shopping and hope DH and I can do that again.

I watched a video of Dr. Ekberg on the best vegetables to eat on keto. I found it very interesting. With the potassium in avocado, he says you could eat 2 and get half your daily potassium. I have heard it has more potassium than a banana. I ate one a day in SC and wondered if that was good. So I will begin doing that again too. I look forward to easing back into eating keto in the future.

Wannabehealthy 03-24-2021 07:01 AM

Well my weight is up again! I might as well go back to including bread and chocolate! I always lost on low carb before. It could have been the,sodium in the sauerkraut, but I was so psyched that this was going well but its not.

pattygirl63 03-24-2021 03:31 PM

DS daughter called her yesterday and she was accepted in nursing school as she wants to be an RN and work up to being a PCP. So we rejoiced about that yesterday. This morning I got a text from DH daughter in FL and our granddaughter that was born a month before we got married and we took care of until we moved to SC and she just got notice that she has been accepted to nursing school as she is training to be a PCP. She has been taking a lot of advanced classes in high school so I think she may already have a lot of lessons as she has always known she wanted to go into medical field. She started out wanting to be a doctor so she has been preparing for years. FL schools are good at helping kids get ready for their future careers.

Weight is back down to 186.6 today. FBG was up a bit but I figure that was the Fiber One. I am still going to stop buying them since I want to move toward keto woe in a few weeks. Right now I am trying to use up a lot of the carby foods and stay moderately low carb. I want to at least keep carbs lower than protein and fat. Not easy with some of the foods I have on hand. I spent the last hour or so on MFP working at that with chipped beef lunch. I finally got it balanced. I have to use the Premier shake tonight to get my protein up to 84 only 2 g higher than the total carbs but with fiber the net carbs will be 67 g. The rest is fat. Until I get rid of some of these other foods, I may find it difficult to do a lower carb everyday. So I am working on trying to keep the net carbs under 100 if at all possible. The main thing that I need to stick to at this time will be using Intermittent Fasting. I am hoping that some of the info we read in the P:E diet book will work as I move toward keto. According to what I remember reading there is the IF will help even if you don't change your plan to his.

Carol Sue I am sorry you are having trouble. But please don't give up. You can do this. Remember I went through what you are right now. I wonder if your body has adjusted and you are just having a problem finding a way to shake things up to get things working again. Believe me I know your frustration. Right now I am so afraid of changing anything I'm doing because I don't want to stop the loss I am experiencing. As we all know, I have been here before and really don't want to stop the losses and start gaining again like I did before. I (we) have to continue doing what we are doing or we will never succeed. I pray we won't get weary and give up if we want to win and reach our goals.

Have good day everybody.

fatmad 03-24-2021 09:10 PM

HI gang: was lower this am after my eating day yesterday, 164. I fasted again today, so hoping for a nice 163.
I have been exhausted all day, slept very poorly again last night. Tried the meds and meditation and all of that.
I am considering asking my doc for medication, but should I call now or talk with her during out appointment in a couple of weeks?
I will keep trying the other stuff for now.

Will chat more when I am better rested.

Wannabehealthy 03-24-2021 09:32 PM

Mad, it's hope you feel better soon. It would be nice if you were able to sleep without meds. I rarely take anything. When I do try it makes me too groggy.

Trish, I think my problem is trying to get my macros the way Dr Naiman recommends. One size doesn't fit all. By trying to eat the protein level he recommends I am really overeating. I had an eat-whatever-I-want day today and tomorrow I will try doing low carb on my own, not tracking anything. Tracking makes me try to reach a,certain level.

DH had a great day at the casino today. Between Monday and today he brought home $900+. That will help us out, we won't have to take any money out of the bank. I'm glad, because he is the reason we go. I want him to be happy. We didn't eat there. We waited until we got home. Their food isn't great.

pattygirl63 03-25-2021 01:57 AM

Mad I hope you will be able to get some sleep tonight since it is stressful when we can't and that doesn't help our weight loss. Hopefully your meditation will help.

Carol Sue I am going to have a hard time getting my protein up where it should be too. I read a long time ago that women don't need much more than 90 grams but not sure if that is true or not and I have a difficult time reaching that a lot of days. I understand that the fat needs to be higher than the carbs and protein, but that isn't always easy. I am hoping when I switch to keto that it will be easier. Like you say One size does NOT fit all so I think we have to do what works for us. Glad your DH had a good day at the casino. Was that the one you went to the other day that is closer to y'all?

I just can't seem to eat in a smaller window that 6 or 7 hrs and sometimes 8. I ended up with a 7 hr window because I got the shakes. I just hope it doesn't mess up my weight tomorrow. I really would like to keep the 186.6. We will see. I'm not sure I would be doing as good as I am if I didn't fast until 3 everyday.

I think I'm going to bed a little earlier tonight.

fatmad 03-25-2021 08:27 AM

Slept well with the med. I am 163 this am. It is worth fasting when its working. I am a little stiff today, had a massage yesterday too. Note how it did not help me to nap in the afternoon, I just spend the day like a zombie, unable to do much, but not able to sleep. Went to bed about 10 and slept until 730 though, so that's a win.

Sound like nursing school is a good plan for your grand-daughter and I hope she does well. I have good memories of my days in college at my nursing school. Nice people to learn with, some lovely teachers and good placements.

I agree that we don't need too much protein, it just breaks down and gets used as carbs, as I understand it from Dr.s Atkins and Fung. Its a reason that Atkins and Keto are supposed to be high in fat. we don't replace the carbs with protein but with fat. For someone like you Trish, who can't handle the higher fat, you have done well with the balanced approach with WW, so keep tweaking.
Carol: I think when you go higher fat, like having avocados you are still higher carb. Also the first day or so of LCHF I think lots of people gain. I was eating too much on Keto there for a bit when I was not losing weight. Was eating to fullness, instead of satiety. I am doing better now.

I would dearly love to get out of the 160s and back to the 150s again.
Off to walk my Buddy.

Wannabehealthy 03-25-2021 09:28 AM

I was eating the avocados because "people say" they are healthy. I have to stop paying attention to what people say. My carbs were around 50 both days so I don't think it was the carbs. Dr Naiman says 1 GM of carb for each lb of ideal weight Ideal weight is 100# for 5 ft and 5# for each additional lb. So 110 for me. I was really pushing to get to 90. I don't think I ever ate that high protein doing low carb before.

The fluid came off and I am down 1.6 lbs, back to Mondays weight of 192.2, and I had bread with breakfast and big bakery buns with deli turkey, but no sugar, so not exactly high carb, but not low-carb. Now I don't know what to do so I am going to cut carbs, try to up fiber with veggies, and have a fasting window most days.

Trish, yesterday we went to our regular casino an hour away. We only go to the new one once a week because that's when they give us the free play.

My DIL just texted asking if she should invite Step daughter for Easter. I'm so mad! The reason I agreed to go was because she said it would be just us. I don't want it said that I said don't invite her. Then she might end up inviting brother in law too. I might end up not going. I'll say I'm sick. I didn't go all this time being careful just to get exposed now.

pattygirl63 03-25-2021 01:52 PM

Weight was up to 188.4 but that was due to high carb yesterday. FBG was down to 103 so go figure. I'm having some shakiness during my fasts so not sure if that means I need to eat something or not. I drink my coffee and it passes so will see. I might need to go back to eating earlier in the day and not eat at night but I haven't been really successful with that so far. I will go to the store tomorrow and get some protein foods which I don't have much of right now since I want to wait until I get the new upright freezer. I've got to work on getting that taken care of within the next few days. I forgot DS Hubby has a truck and she volunteered him and his truck to move it. So now I need to talk to niece and work out timing so I can get it done. DH will move the car out so they can deliver the freezer and place deep freezer in garage so I can transfer everything. Then he and my nephew and BIL can move the deep freezer to nephew's to hold it for his Mother. We have a plan now to just get everybody on the same page. Then I can stock up to get myself back to a good low carb plan. Maybe not a strict keto but a good low carb plan.

Mad I'm glad you got a good nights sleep. That will help a whole lot with your fasting etc. I know you are going to enjoy getting out and walking Buddy too.

Carol Sue I think one of my problems is that I try to eat what "they" say is healthy and then it doesn't always work for me. That is where we have to learn what works for us and go with our own plan. One of my problems is I want a plan to follow and I think that messes me up. I end up eating think I "should" trying to get those healthy foods in my plan. I remember telling my SC doc that I eat healthy food and he said to me "Maybe you are eating too much healthy food". That didn't register with me then. I don't think normal weight people have a plan per se. I know DH daughter didn't when she was thinner. I've watched how thin people eat and they don't really have a plan. In fact, if I just ate the way I like to eat and eat the foods that I like, I might not have much of a weight problem because I basically like good healthy protein and veggies, but I have learned that I don't really like all veggies that I've eaten through the years. I just ate them because they are healthy or was on the diet plan I was following. I probably would do better if I would sit down and make a list of the foods I do like and plan around those. That is pretty much how DH eats. He has certain foods that he likes that are healthy and he doesn't eat anything else but those. Maybe I should do the same. I remember reading in the original IE book where they told a woman to sit down and make a list of the foods that she really enjoyed and liked. She ended up with 10 foods on her list and they told her to just plan her eating around those 10 foods and she lost weight. It sure would be easier on the grocery list.

Baked chicken tenders with SF BBQ sauce with a salad along with some veggie are on the menu today. I really will never do a true low low carb Atkins style because I drink milk, but I think one I get things going like I want it that I could do a limit of 70 net grams of carb. I remember reading that was good. I will have to try that along with IF.

Have a great day dear friends.

Wannabehealthy 03-25-2021 03:46 PM

​​​​​​Trish, if you are able to continue fasting until 3 so you can eat in the evening I think that will work. The shakiness I think is because your blood sugar is dropping, but your liver should dump glucose and make it go away. If coffee helps that should work too. Next time you get shaky check your blood sugar to be sure its not too low. I think eventually your body will get used to the new eating schedule. If not and you have to start eating breakfast again you will work something out. You are doing very well and will continue to lose whatever you do.

We both need to stop eating things that other people say we should. We need to eat the healthy foods we like and leave the ones we don't like. I don't think drinking milk will ruin any plan you choose. Everyone does a tweak here and there. I think I need to do a couple very strict days to push my weight into the 180s, but every time I think that way I get a bump up. LOL
​​​​​​

pattygirl63 03-25-2021 11:04 PM

Carol Sue Could your bump up be just when you eat certain foods? I have gotten to the point to where I know that when I eat certain foods such as the chipped beef or pizza I know my weight is going to bump up a lb or 2. You might watch and see if there is a pattern.

I seem to be able to eat the calories around 1200 but I not doing well with balancing the carbs and protein in the right ratio. I am going to have to really work at it. Today has still been a good eating day. I did manage to do 4 hr eating window. I'll probably make it since I will be going to bed early so I can get up early to go to the beauty shop. Getting my hair colored. Will be going to the store afterwards.

Good night.

Wannabehealthy 03-26-2021 05:39 AM

This morning I saw the scale going too high so I hurried and got off before the weight registered. LOL It's like if it doesn't register to my app it didn't happen. LOL I knew I ate too much yesterday. I really don't pay attention to what causes the bump up. But I ate a lot of carbs yesterday. I was just eating whatever I wanted like my old eating habits. When I do that I expect a bump up. I didn't eat dinner. DH made mac and cheese for himself and threw the excess away before I could get into it, which was good, but I still ate other things. Yesterday I felt very tired. I am sometimes tired like that the day after we go to the casino. I have been getting up too early because I think I go to bed too early. And I am still taking a short nap during the afternoon. I don't know why. I was never a napper before. I just get really sleepy and can't stay awake. Also, I used to go to bed early and watch TV with DH and fall asleep around midnight. I can no longer watch TV. The shows he watches don't interest me and I end up falling asleep at 9:00. So I wake up at 3-4 and can't fall back to sleep. I want to try to stay up later but DH likes me to come to bed when he does. I find that when I'm tired I over eat.

DH's hips have been hurting, that's why he went to bed so early. It is probably from sitting too long, either at the casino or in the car driving home. When we go to the casino we take the other car, and maybe that seat is not good for him anymore. Maybe he's used to the car we drive every day. He doesn't like to take pain pills.

I think I will go in and try to fall back to sleep.