Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I usually cook my bone in pork chops in the grill pan on stove top and wish I had done that today but I didn't. I baked them in the convection oven. Many times when I buy the thicker boneless pork chops I have cooked them in either the crockpot or baked with either gravy or mushroom soup.

I didn't want pork chops today but since we had KFC yesterday, I didn't want to cook chicken again today. I didn't realize till this morning that tomorrow is Valentine's day so I will either cook chicken breasts with French Onion soup and top with cheese or make marinara chicken topped with cheese instead of our usual Sunday eggs. I'll make chili for Monday since we aren't going to get above 20 degrees.

Years ago I bought a book from Rodale that was a diabetic cookbook but also had a lot of info for lowering blood sugar. I remember they stressed 2 things I had forgotten about when the low carb and keto plans came out. They said that "fiber" was the key to lowering blood sugar and they didn't know why but parmessan cheese eaten with anything also helped lower it. When I went on WW and was eating more grains, I remembered that and decided to try eating more grain to get more fiber. Another thing is when South Beach came out and he said push low fat along with low carb, I still ate some fat but it also works. Thus the way I have started eating counting calories. So far it works so I will continue it. It is an easy way to eat and I still get to eat what I like and enjoy. I've just learned to really watch portions.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #332  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, what grains do you eat? When I think of grains all that comes to mind is wheat, but you have always said you eat grains and I've read that in books. I probably eat them but I don't call them that.

My rump roast is browned and in the slow cooker with onion slices and mushroom soup. High for 1 hour then I'll turn it down.

193 this morning. It was at 192.8 but then nudged up. It was 193.2 yesterday.

I don't know what radio station DH had on last night but once again I heard them say 6-9 inches of snow Monday night. It was not our local station. Sometimes at night you can get out of state radio stations so I don't know if we are getting that snow or someone else. People all over the internet are commenting on the weather in Texas. My niece lives near Austin. I wonder what weather they are getting. Her and her husband are used to this but not if there are not road crews to clear the road. Our back deck is still snow covered but the top of the snow froze. Rusty was sliding all over when he went out this morning. There is no relief in sight with the cold temperatures and no sun to melt anything.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #333  

Carol Sue From what I saw on the weather station just a few minutes ago, your niece will be getting snow since it seems to cover from below them in San Antonio all the way up north. It is covering most of TX. I can't tell for sure but it looks like Galveston will either be getting snow or ice. They have us getting 3 inches of snow and a low of 7 degrees tonight and -1 tomorrow night. DH is supposed to go to therapy Tuesday but he is talking about postponing until another day since we are supposed to get snow showers again Wednesday. I'm not sure things will even begin to clear out until Thursday and/or Friday.

When I say grains, I eat whole grain pastas, brown rice (although we aren't big rice eaters so not often since DH doesn't care for it), corn. I usually keep real whole wheat flour for frying some foods but couldn't get it at Walmart this week so I just got regular. I will pick up it up at the store by the beauty shop as they have Health foods section where I can get it. If you look up the old WW Simply Filling Power Foods, it has a lit of them. Some things they call grains that are 0 pts, I wouldn't have thought of as grains or 0 pts. I think of all the times I cooked and ate "healthy" by not having corn when I cooked it for DH#2 and the kids. Wasn't easy since it is my favorite food. DH likes to get corn-on-the cob and cuts it off the cob to eat. I like it either way.

I've got my Parmesan chicken in the crockpot. WW calls it Parmesan and I will eat mine with FF parmesan but I don't buy regular parmesan because not sure DH would eat it. I will use either cheddar or Swiss cheese on his which I will apply on top just before serving it. We will have stewed potatoes and a salad to our meal. We eat potatoes with the skin because I read years ago that it makes it diabetic friendly and doesn't raise glucose like eating it without. I've started using ICBINB margarine because a TBLS is only 35 calories and as you know I am using WWSF along with calories on MFP.

Weight was up .8 lb because I binged on pretzel crackers. However, I won't be doing that again because all that floury food dried me out so bad. I don't even know how many calories I had yesterday. FBG was still 104 this morning and my bp is running in 116/68 range most days so I am very happy with my progress. One thing that happened by binging last night, I wasn't very hungry this morning and just wanted PB toast. So I ended up with 135 calories for breakfast.

Hope everyone has a Happy Valentines day and stay warm and safe.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #334  

Trish, if I eat at night I am hungry first thing in the morning. I really get early morning stomach grumbling! But if I don't eat at night and go to bed with an empty stomach I am not hungry at all in the morning. Its strange, but I've always been that way.

My roast turned out really good but it got done too early. I never know when to start it. Sometimes DH is hungry and wants to eat and we're waiting for it to get done. DH isn't crazy about roast but we like rump roast better than chuck roast. It was a small roast so that may be why it got done fast. There is still a big piece left over.

I have a list ready for Wal-Mart tomorrow morning but I can't go too early because I have to pick up a prescription. I will have to check and see when the pharmacy opens.

Happy Valentines Day to all!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #335  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Not too much to report. I was out of this weekend on a ski trip so I don't have any numbers to reflect on. It was 15 degrees (F) warmer on the ski hill than it was at home. Highly unusual, it is usually the other way around. I ate a lot of salads in an effort o stay on track. Hope everyone has a good week.

Winter thread results summary: |---|---
Old 02-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #336  

Pipsicle, glad to hear you had a good time skiing . At least you found a way to look at the bright side of this weather. Its good to be outside and getting some exercise. Salads are good, too, so I'd say you were on plan.

My weight stayed at 193. I did not eat after dinner yesterday so I'm not hungry this am.

Trish, I heard on the news that Texas is a state of emergency because of the weather. Be careful, stay safe and warm.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #337  

Pipsicle Glad you are enjoying the weather skiing and eating those salads along with that exercise I will be surprised if it doesn't show up on the scale.

Carol Sue I think of those of you up north who do business as usual on days like this and we shut down and stay hunkered down in our homes. We keep our thermostat on the same thing year round but electric company sends out notice asking people not to waste electricity during this time. We are blessed that our wiring etc is underground but we are in a new housing addition and they are still building in this little town so it is possible to still lose power sometimes. Things have been okay so far and I hope it continues to be since we still have sleet and rain starting tonight or tomorrow through Wednesday. I called and had to leave a message at the doctor's office where DH is to go for therapy tomorrow. I don't imagine they will be open since they aren't open to take my call today. I had a message on answering machine that said the stop lights aren't working so treat those intersections like a 4 way sign.

Weight back down to 187.8 and FBG 105 this morning. Chilli is in the crockpot for later. I've been hungry for Frito pie. I haven't had it in years. After I have it, I may have to throw the rest of the Fritos down the disposal. We lived next door to the "Frito Man" when I was a little girl until I was 12 yrs old. He was over the distribution in this area. He and his wife had no children and I guess since Daddy never had a real Daddy until he was grown and the relation wasn't all that great between them; Daddy and the Frito man became like family. On the weekend Daddy would tag along with the guy on his weekend route. Our summer vacations sometimes included a trip to Colorado when they moved up there. DS and I played in the snow in the mountains in June. LOL

Well so much for walking down memory lane. I've been remembering some happy times with Daddy. I told DH last night that Daddy would get Mama a big Valentine's box of chocolates and he would also get a small version for each one of us girls. Love those happy memories.

Y'all have nice day and stay safe and warm.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #338  

We went to every store in town and there's no ice melter to be had. We waited too long. That won't happen again. It's better for us to leave the snow because if we shovel it it will freeze and become ice. Its better to walk in snow than ice.

I never had Frito pie but I looked it up and it sounds good. DH wouldn't eat it, its the same old story. He's like Mikey, he hates everything, except potatoes.

I don't have anything planned for dinner. I would like a rotisserie chicken but that's the only store we didn't go to.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:13 AM   #339  

It is midnight and it is 6 degrees and feels like -3. I don't know if I've ever lived where the temp was that low. Not in central TX any way.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #340  

Yes, that's cold, Trish. We've had it but not often. We were due to get snow overnight but our temperature went up and it was rain. Temps are due to drop all day and that will freeze the rain.

Yesterday I ate nothing but carbs. My blood sugar was high at bedtime but I lost weight somehow! 191.8 after 193 yesterday and the day before. I don't get it, but I'll take it. Today is going to be a carby day, too, by default, because I had pancakes for breakfast because its Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. I had a fried egg with them though because I always try to eat protein with a carb. This is NOT going to be a new trend, though, I will still eat on the lower carb side because of my blood sugar. And I don't expect a drop again tomorrow. I think that was a fluke.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-16-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #341  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI friends: today just under 160. I have been eating every day for a week and weight is pretty steady. I am sticking to low carb and doing ok. I have been fasting so much before this, with no good and sustainable results. I decided to eat for a while and stabilize before trying to fast again. I am planning pancake and bacon for supper, with the pancakes being the low carb ones. DH will have maple syrup with his, I will have a smackerel of maple by adding a little to the pancake mix, but don't plan to pour it over the pancakes, to keep them lower carb. I plan to spend them with yogurt or cream cheese.
The "plan" is to eat LC for two days and fast for a day, starting this week. And again with the meal planning. It seems I have no books on keto diets. Lots of recipe books, and lots of recipes online, but not a guide book, so I will order one from the library.
My knee is doing much better and I can walk about 20 minutes a day and do my exercises. I only had real pain after my last physio appointment a week ago, for a couple of days. Thats ok, because the treatments are healing in the long run.

Trish: hope you can stay warm through the deep freeze in Texas. For Carol Sue and me, we are used to this weather, and our regions have the equipment to deal with it, and we have the clothes. I am used to having several days of food on hand at any given time, because getting socked in is a fact of life. A bit easier now I am living in a city instead of the rural area I was in 4 years ago. There we regularly lost power for a few days after snow storms, (thank goodness for wood stoves, batteries and generators.) Here was have not lost power for more than an hour or so since we moved back. We had a major power outage of most of Eastern North America about 20 years ago (and that was in summer or fall) and nothing major since then.

Stay warm and well everyone
Old 02-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #342  

Mad, Dr Axe has a lot of info online about Keto Diet, like this for example.

https://draxe.com/nutrition/keto-diet-food-list/ He does sell things, but I ignore any sales pitch.

Last night UPS tracking said my package would be delayed due to weather but it showed up at 10AM this morning. I guess he made good time because our snow never came.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #343  

My weight is up 2 lbs today but that is probably all the sodium in the chili and Fritos and I didn't drink a lot of water because I get cold when I drink water. WW always said drink liquids but for me it still needs to be water. My container i drink out of is 25 oz and I figure it wouldn't hurt for me to drink 4 of those a day but I barely got 2 of them down. I'm trying to do better today.

I got up this morning to 10 degree weather. DS and DBIL have had no power since yesterday morning. She said it came on for a bit and then went back off. Her niece who lives in San Angelo is without power as well. It is a strange thing to know that my nieces husband is working in another TX area to keep the power own while she is without it where she lives. I'm glad she has her fur babies with her. DS has a fireplace and said they have plenty of wood to stay fairly warm. Her DD has a fireplace but doesn't use it and is staying bundled. We are blessed to still have power. Tomorrow we are supposed to get another round of freezing rain. Everything is closed down till next week. We got a message from the therapist's office saying that they are closed indefinitely and will call us to let us know when the open up again.

Fatmad As we have had this cold weather with the feels like -1 etc, I thought about you writing about it warming up to -3 and you will walk your fur baby. Thank God mine will be over by the weekend.

You may be in the place where you needed to change things like you are. I have heard that our bodies get adjusted to what we are doing and we need to shake things up a little. I think that is what has happened to me. I did some sort of low carb for so many years and seldom ate carby foods. I resisted them like the plague and then I got to where no matter what I did I couldn't lose weight. Now that I'm back to eating low fat like I did the first time I was diagnosed with diabetes and eating some healthier carbs, I have started losing weight again slowly but losing. However I still hope there will be a day when I can go back to a low carb plan but for now this is what I have to do.

Carol Sue It amazes me that when I eat more calories than I think I should that I lose weight, but I am afraid to keep eating more calories so I end up going back to eating less. It is amazing to me how our weight fluctuates and I don't think it has anything to do with what we ate the day before.

I did do a lot of exercises today because of us being closed in and not much to do right now.

Have a good day and I hope everyone is staying warm and safe.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #344  

I did some exercise today, finally. My squats are getting so much easier. I have to be careful because they bother my knee if I go too low. I also rode my bike. I had a sweatshirt on and it got too hot because of the heater vent. Next time I will wear a tank top.

It's m glad you didn't lose your power, Trish. I hope your sister gets hers back. It is supposed to be single digits tomorrow but no snow.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:37 AM   #345  

I heard that it is going to be a few days before the electricity gets back on for everybody. Not sure what that means, but I hope DS and niece and my kids get theirs on soon. Something about TX not having enough natural gas which has to be political I'm sure. I am thankful for the ones who have fireplaces but concerned about those who don't.

We are supposed to be having snow showers but it hasn't started here yet, but it won't be as cold as it has been but still freezing.
Closed Thread