3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Diabetes and Pre - Diabetes Chat Fall 2020 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/319371-diabetes-pre-diabetes-chat-fall-2020-a.html)

Shaybelle 09-13-2020 03:08 PM

Thank you guys. I appreciate the birtday wishes. I sent DH out for the cheese. LOLz. I wanted that casserole but sadly after I made it, it was so RICH that I could only eat half a serving. 1 serving was 540 cals. I know I dont watch cals on up days but I sorta do. I dont go over 1500 on an up day. 1500 is a feast that I can never quite get done. I have to eat fast food to get to 1500. I thought I was having grits or eggs with it. Nope. Now Im going to freeze it all in small batches so I can enjoy it to come. I only make this casserole on Christmas morning usually but last couple of years at the old house I had a broken oven. But this year i decided to break the new stove in. Et voila!

I tried to put a photo in here but its big. Its posted on my instagram if you want to see. The link is in my signature.

Wannabehealthy 09-13-2020 03:34 PM

I don't have Instagram but I was allowed to look until a pop up told me to join! I don't know which one was your casserole but it all looked good.

fatmad 09-13-2020 10:15 PM

Shaybelle, Happy Birthday; sorry, my smilies won't work for me to post things.
I am glad you got your casserole, even for a taste of what you wanted. How did dog grooming go? I have to do Buddy's nails, as well.
I did three longish walks with him today, he is also tired, and so I am. But friends wanted to walk with us, which was great, so we got to visit, with social distancing and outside, so very safe.
Also had calls with both DD and a friend who moved to Nova Scotia so it was a very social day, and that is also tiring, even though made me feel good. I was not successful on Friday and had supper, and ate 2MAD as planned yesterday.
Today I have made it through though, and its bedtime now.

Will pop by for longer tomorrow, and hope to hear from Pipsicle too since its Sunday.

Pipsicle 09-13-2020 11:33 PM

Whew; no change!

Happy Birthday Shaybelle!!

Here!
Just a quick flyby. I am out of town to pick up my new leg braces. First thing tomorrow I take delivery of them and have a physical therapy appointment to learn how to use them properly. I will be here all week and I'm trying to be really careful with my eating so I can post a loss when I get home.

My weight this morning matched my posted loss for the first time in a long time on weigh-in day. I see this weight during the week but it has been popping up on weigh-in day. Seems like being able to go back to the rec center is shaking some things loose. I'll have to see what PT is like tomorrow and if I can consider it enough to meet my current exercise level.

fatmad 09-14-2020 06:34 AM

158 this am. Weight is up still, that pizza on Saturday is partially to blame, as is my appetite on eating days. Will see how today goes.

Wannabehealthy 09-14-2020 08:01 AM

My weight is up today, too. I don't want to talk about it. ;) You sure have been sociable! I think that's beneficial for you.

​​​​Pipsicle, I am glad you got your braces and can imagine how you are, too. I hope they will make a big difference for you. I'm looking forward to hearing.

I have been reading more online about autophagy. I don't think we get it with daily fasting. There's really no way to know. It doesn't seem to be needed often. Maybe once a month or so. I want it, but so far I can't do longer fasts. There are some foods that help bring it about, like black coffee. Black coffee has a lot of health benefits but not in excess. Green tea, also. I sometimes wonder if autophagy had anything to do with my stent not clogging up again. The doctor gave it 5 months and it's been over a year. I saw an article that seemed to indicate that possibility. But it's not something that can be measured with a blood test. Some say over 12 hours of fasting is needed but most indicate much longer. I want to understand it better but I skim over a lot of the terminology. I also wonder about the differences of opinion about autophagy. I don't know who to believe. So I will continue reading about this, as it interests me.

pattygirl63 09-14-2020 11:09 AM

Nothing new hear. I'm still the same weight and FBG was 99 this morning. I've decided to try to shake things up a bit. It won't start today because we have to go get the car inspected and renew tags. I just changed my house insurance to a company my DIL got me with here in TX and saved me $11 this year and got better coverage. So that is taken care of for this year. So busy day today.

I've been checking into and watching a lady on YouTube who combines Low carb with WW. I'm going to start that tomorrow and see what happens. She did it to shake things up because she was stalled. I do remember seeing on the wall at a WW meeting years ago that suggested throwing a low carb day into the mix sometime so I've even thought about trying that like every other day or week or something do low carb. I really thinking I've cut the fat too far back on this plan so I'm finding myself hungry at night. I really don't want to get back to snacking at night as I'm afraid that will derail my progress.

Hope we all can have a good day.

Wannabehealthy 09-14-2020 01:23 PM

Trish, I wonder if you're eating enough protein. Maybe the points you're not using should be used to add protein and a little more fat.

I saw something interesting at Walmart. It is a protein snack called P3. There are different varieties and each has deli meat, cheese and nuts. They are $1.50 and a larger size is $2.+. It is found in the prepackaged deli meatcase. If you ever see them I would be curious to know how many points they are. Sargento has something similar but they include cranberries.

Shaybelle 09-14-2020 03:36 PM

Bonjour Everyone. Yesterday seemed like a very social day for everyone. I am STILL grooming the dog. He is 95% done. Just having problems with the feet, face and around the private parts. He's so jumpy which makes me jumpy. He doesnt like the humm of the clippers it seems and so I been trying to do tiny non threatening bits around the dew claw and such but i dont know. I dont think dog grooming is my talent. He has so much hair. Hopefully between today and tomorrow he'll let me finish. I really should have trained him when I got him to accept grooming. Well 10 and a half years to late to worry about it.

Carol - Thanks I do like to cook and I like food photography. I have been trying to get better with my photography. What are you reading in regards to autophagy? The following link shows a study from the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) is an interesting read. Its a broad topic. Are you looking for general studies on it or cardiac and autophagy specific articles? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5783752/

Madeleine - I'm glad you are getting out and enjoying the good weather. I have not walked. I keep saying I'm going to do it but then talk myself out of it. DH brought up a solution I cant talk my way out of. We have a fitness room in the building and I really dont have an excuse not to walk year round now. >.< How dare he take away my excuses for sedentariness. :lol: I did pizza for supper last night but I didnt even TRY to think about getting on the scale as tomorrow is official weigh in day for me anyway. I'm on a down day. With all the foolishness I had on my plate yesterday, I'm just sitting my behind down and keeping quiet. Maybe the fat will pass me by. I also am having a time enjoying my Up days. I think and think about what I will eat on up days and when they get here the day speeds by so fast and I dont have a large appetite. But let it be a down day and I have to drag my mind away from food.

Pipsicle - I know that feeling of "whew" when you eat some stuff you know you dont have any business eating and its time to get on the scale and you start sweating and self talking telling yourself its only natural to be up but when it shows no change you are like "YES!" :yay: I hope the new braces and pt go well for you. Were your old ones just old and time for a new set or did they break?

Patty - Great that you have a plan. I always find that's half the battle; coming up with a viable plan.

Tonight is leftovers again. Chicken and cabbage and some cucumber salad. I have been craving cucumbers for days just didnt eat them yesterday like I planned.

Did anyone notice their skin changing or breaking out more as you started losing weight? I never had acne and only the occasional pimple growing up. Now, seems like since I started fasting my skin is breaking out like mad.

Wannabehealthy 09-14-2020 05:24 PM

Shaybelle, that article was an example of a lot of terminology that went over my head. They did one study to see the effect on diabetes. One group ate their 3 meals between 4-8 p.m. and the other ate their 3 meals through the day. The ones who are in the 4 hour window had the worst results. But most who eat in a 4 hour window eat 2 meals not 3. A diabetic who eats every 2 hours does not give their blood sugar time to come down between meals. So that was a poor example IMO.

I am mostly interested in the least amount of time I can fast and experience autophagy, and other factors that effect it besides fasting.

pattygirl63 09-14-2020 07:21 PM

I agree there are so many different ideas about how to experience autophagy. I think I remember one book I read seemed to believe that if you get into autophagy after 12 hr fast but D r. Fung didn't think that. I think he said 36 hr fast before you hit it. I seem to have a problem going too much over 16 to 20 hr fasts and I make sure I'm going to be home all day when I do that. I still would like to get back to those 19/5 hr IF ranges again.

We got just about everything done that we needed to do today. I will do the house work tomorrow. We got the car inspected and when I went to the local store to renew our tags, the computer asked for my proof of insurance and I had left it in the car. I mean heck you can't even get your car inspected without proof of insurance, but I had to go back out to the car to get it. The clerk said that they didn't always ask for proof of insurance but of all times for them to do so, it was when I went to get mine. So I got an extra walk out of that. DH did the shopping while I was doing all that.

He stopped and got McDs fries and then we stopped and got LJS on the way home. I still have 6 pts left for tonight.

Carol Sue I agree that I probably haven't been getting enough protein either. I don't think I am going to try going low carb because I don't like the nut milks. In fact, I've decided just try to make wiser choices of the pts I use use to stay within my pts. Example I want to start drinking 1% milk even though it costs 4 pts instead of 3 pts for 0% fat. I can tell by my hair losing its shine and my hunger level later in the day that I am not getting enough fat in my diet. So I'm going to work at correcting that. I just might decide to eat some nuts for a snack tonight to get some healthy fat and hope it curbs my appetite. I will look for the protein snacks next time I go to Walmart. Thanks for the heads up.

I order a book from Amazon on how to track etc on WW. It has all the pages that I used years ago when I did WW on my own. You know I ordered the fiber slider that I had lost and I don't have to buy a new book all the time as I can print them out myself like I did years ago. Then I can still do WW without paying for it on WW website when my contract runs out and goes up. When I get the book from Amazon, I will be able to track food and exercise without any problems on my own.

Sounds like everyone has had a busy weekend and we are all working to work our plan. I have to believe that our consistency will pay off.

I went to bed late and got up early today and I am ready for a short nap.

Wannabehealthy 09-15-2020 06:28 AM

Dr Pompa said if you are eating a low carb diet autophagy starts at 20-24 hours. Eating a regular diet, 48-72 hours. I guess that is his opinion.

We went to TX Roadhouse again. I got a steak because the past few times I got other things, ribs or pulled pork it didn't seem fresh. Maybe because they aren't getting as many customers they are hearing up food from the day before. It never tasted like that before. I ordered my steak medium rare for the first time and I liked it. I used to order medium.

I didn't get weighed yet because I am going back to bed. I don't expect good news. I feel fat.

fatmad 09-15-2020 07:26 AM

HI friends: did well on my eating day, didn't pig out. 157 today. Yay. So now to fast today, trying to do alternate day fasting. I can get to supper time no problem, but about 5-6 pm things start to call to me. Good news that I have a board meeting at 630 so if I can make it to there, I can do my meeting in my bedroom, DH can eat then and not tempt me, and I can make it through.

Shaybelle, I guess your dog doesn't make you go out? Mine is a mid-sized hound and needs his exercise. That was part of the point of getting him, someone who "had" to go out, and he is my responsibility. So unless Im sick or sleeping from work and DH takes him for his walks, he gets walked 2-3 times a day for 30-45minutes each time. Since I am otherwise relatively sedentary, I really need this, and he is my motivator. And a lovely but energetic dog.

Carol: I suspect autophagy starts at some point around 12-24 hours of fasting, and may be different for different people. But to achieve real results, there must be enough autophagy to make a difference, so 30-48 hours is likely more the magic number to notice much. I did for sure when I get into it. my before and after photos looked quite different, and I didn't have the saggy skin that lots of people who lose weight seem to get. Some people thought I looked younger even.

Have a good day friends

Wannabehealthy 09-15-2020 09:24 AM

Mad, we don't take our dog out. Too much traffic in our neighborhood, plus I can't walk well enough to walk a dog. I can walk short distances or hold on on the treadmill. I'm doing exercises to strengthen my legs to work on that. My dog is small and gets his exercise running after me everywhere I go all over the house. When we come home from somewhere he runs down the stairs to meet us at the garage door then back up the stairs ahead of us. Then back down, because I am still down there.

I forgot to get weighed when I got back up and now I've had coffee and eggs. I feel very energetic so I'm doing laundry (up and down the steps) and some cleaning. DH asked me if someone is coming so I guess I don't clean enough! :o

Today I am making some cabbage and noodles. I usually only make that when I make stuffed cabbage rolls but I am hungry for it. I will be making potato pancakes for DH but I don't eat them. Maybe one, to make sure they are good. :hungry: So it looks like the eggs will be my only protein today.

pattygirl63 09-15-2020 01:33 PM

Shaybelle Hope the dog grooming is going well.

Fatmad I think your fasting has done wonders for you. You definitely got into the autophagy with your EF. I thought of a dog to walk which I think I could use my cane to do it but I know that it would be so much easier to let the dog roam the fenced in backyard. So that wouldn't help me. However I do know from the days that I walked so much that I surely did feel great. So you go girl.

Carol Sue Yesterday when I was sitting in the car waiting for the guy to come inspect our car, I looked down at my legs and saw how fat they looked just sitting there and I thought to myself "Lord I really feel fat today". I noticed on the over 60 FB WW group no one posts pics much if at all, but on the other FB WW groups the younger people take a lot of pics as they lose weight. When you do the pics you can see the changes they are making with their weight loss. I think that is important to do. I've never done that. They are seeing their process.

This morning when I was telling DD that I was stuck at 190.8 and she said "Mama that happens. How much have you lost?" Then I got to thinking. I lost 10 lbs when I was going to bariatrics for the shots and got stuck. I left and came to the WW plan and I have lost 16.6 lbs since May. So since last November when I started the shots at bariatrics I've actually lost 26.6 lbs. So I'm really have done pretty good. I remember when I loyal stayed on a weight loss plan in SC and my doc was thrilled that I had lost 38 lbs in one year. So I guess I have always lost slow, but I do lose. So I am going to relax and just work my WW Blue Plan and not worry about it. I'm getting pleny of exercise with the bike, walking, calisthenics etc so eventually the weight will come off. I figure that I am doing at 77 yrs old is actually pretty good. I plan to just enjoy what I'm doing.

Weight hasn't changed and FBG 99. So all is well.

I hope everybody has a great day. Praying for safety of all those in line of Hurricane Sally.