Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, I am glad to hear you understand how I am with overeating. Some people who don't have that issue don't understand. I had a co-worker who was naturally thin to the extreme. She could be eating then all of a sudden couldn't take another bite. She could not understand those who keep eating once full. I told her my stop button is broken. I actually heard it explained that way in something I read. You don't get the message from the brain until it's too late. It really is easier not to eat at all. I controlled it that way when I was single. It does not bother me to not eat when others are eating, but once I take that first bite, look out. DH really throws a cog in the wheels.

Popsicle did say she would be away and not posting this weekend. I hope she had a nice vacation and comes back refreshed!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-20-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #242  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol: since I am married to someone with a drinking problem, we have learned that we have different broken stop buttons.
when I drink alcohol, I find after one to two drinks, it no longer tastes good and I don't enjoy it much. I can stop half-way through the 2nd drink and switch to water and just leave the drink. He will spend time coveting that half-drunk glass of wine or beer and not understand how I can not drink it.
He is like that with food. He can stop. He can have a "favourite" food around, have a bit of it, get full and leave the rest, sometimes for days.
I would be thinking of that food overnight, even dream of it.
That is why I feel I have an "addiction" to food and to eating. I don't want to minimize the impact of addictions, although in my case, the weight issues are also dangerous, but not an immediate danger the way it can be when people get drunk or high.
But that's why fasting seems to work better for me, easier to not eat than carefully limit portions. I think that is true for you as well. When your DH was in hospital, you could skip meals and avoid overeating by not eating, not having trigger foods in the house etc.
It IS harder with the other person around. Sometime DH will be eating something, and then I can't resist. No fault of his really, I'm just tempted. For several years I had no alcohol in the house to avoid triggering him.

I don't know that I will ever "get over" this compulsion, but it is more manageable now.
I hope you find a way to manage your issues too.
Blessings on a Monday friends
Old 07-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good morning ladies. I have the same problem. I can go for hours without taking a bite and I can do pretty good until the evening. Then I am off and eating anything and everything. I stopped bringing some foods in the house to keep from eating them, but I am having problems with DH potato chips. I thought I was over them but every evening, they call my name. He can take a few bites and then set them down on the table beside him and not touch them again for a few days. I don't know why I have that problem but they seem to be my weakness. Now I just work them into my 8 hr window but I am hoping they will lose their hold on me. I have noticed that when I crave a food and allow myself to have it for a while that the taste/desire goes away, but that hasn't happened with the chips. I think it is an emotional thing from my childhood. I don't seem to have that with anything else, just the chips. of course that is where the excess salt comes from.

Weight is stuck at 198.2 again. FBG 108. I as I shared above, my 8 hr eating window seems to be working fine, but I think I need to cut back on the amount of food I eat. I think all that exercise I had yesterday just made me hungrier. So I'm going to cut back. I don't know how much I ate because I forgot to track all my food until after midnight so never went back to it. I've got to be more accountable than that. I think I did that 2x this week.

Carol Sue I remember the time I was like your co-worker. Food just didn't interest me and I couldn't understand why people thought they had to eat so much. I just wasn't ever a big eater back then. I have no idea when or where that changed. Oh how I wish I could be like that again. I was even like that when I married DH and back then I could cook for him, his Mother and even his grands when they were there and never take a bite of what I cooked. I used to cook fries everyday when the grands were there and never take a bit. I have no idea why I can't cook them or buy them at McD's and not take a bite. If I can figure any of that out, I might could change it.

Fatmad I am like you when it comes to liquor too. I have tried and tried to get used to drinking just a small glass of red wine for health benefits and I just can't remember to drink it. I used to like a beer with bbq but have no interest in it today. DH keeps both in the house because he has drink it for years for health benefits. He doesn't drink a lot of it either. His vice was chocolate but easily gave it up because of the diabetes and he is too skinny. Go figure.

You guys have a nice day.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #244  

Chocolate is an addiction for me. I can't buy it and have it in the house. I will eat it until I'm nauseated. I occasionally buy a single bar at the checkout. I eat it and it's gone.

I drank a lot when I was single and going to dance clubs but I don't drink at home or when out to eat. DH keeps beer in the house. He buys a case at Christmas and it lasts all year. I have bought wine and dumped it out because no one drinks it. I could have a glass now and then but I'm afraid because of my meds. I have heard that a glass of red wine is healthy, but if you don't drink, don't start. I prefer white.

When step daughter was here on Father's Day she got weighed on my scale. 172. She does NOT look it. I would say 150 tops. She is tall and looks thin. Today she told DH she lost 15 lbs. How do people do this???? Now I'm really mad!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-20-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #245  

Carol Sue Do you think your step-daughter has lost too much weight is the reason she looks bad or do you think she is sick?

Funny I can take or leave chocolate. In fact, I used to keep dark chocolate and eat just a pinch of it everyday with no problem, but then it was DARK chocolate which isn't quite as taste as milk chocolate. I read an article on line about Sirtuins and how it helps us lose weight plus a lot of other health benefits. I heard about it on something I saw in an add on a website about keeping our telomeres from shortening and causing damage to our DNA. Of course he was selling his product. So I researched it and found that sirtuin is what protects our DNA and I was amazed at the foods that we already eat or take that has it in it such kale, berries, onions, EVOO, turmeric etc. It is in red wine and dark chocolate as well. So I don't think we have to order the pill.

I just finished reading Circadian Code and I have to say that it has me wondering about my circadian rhythm. I remember when I was checking BS twice or more a day and if I waited 5 hrs between my meals that my bs readings were lower even sometimes normal. I had thought of eating a 10 hr window and eat my meals 5 hrs apart. This is making me think that perhaps that is what my body was trying to tell me back then but I was trying to do fit into the shorter window. Perhaps there will be times like I did back then when I will not need the 3rd meal or only need a snack. I'm thinking that I need to try it and see what happens. I won't start it today because I didn't eat breakfast until almost 11:30 and I sure don't want to eat that late. So I will figure it out and start it tomorrow.

I only did 15 minutes today on the bike but did some strength exercises today that I didn't do yesterday along with the core exercises that I always do. This is going to take me over my exercise points this week and they are going to want me to raise them but I won't do that. If I do 15 minutes of moderate effort on the bike and then 15 minutes or so of strength each day then I gain 5 pts for the day. I've been counting my housework and steps but I'm not going to count those any more.

I am learning that I have to do my exercises after I eat breakfast these days instead of before. My body just plain doesn't like it. I think it is because I don't drink enough water before breakfast. I think I will spend this week working on changing things to work towards getting in sync with my circadian rhythm. It can't hurt and just might be what I need to get things working right again. Tomorrow I will switch from the 8 hr window to the 10 hr.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #246  

Trish, I don't think my step daughter looks bad at all. I think she looks good. I just meant she did not look like she weighed 172 but she said it's in her belly and she wears big tops to hide it. I have not seen her since then which was Fathers Day. She told DH on the phone that she lost 15 lbs so that makes her 157. She is around 5'7 so I don't know what her ideal weight would be. She is big boned.

I also keep a dark chocolate bar here and eat a square once in a while. My biggest weakness is Hershey Kisses. I could eat a whole bag.

I have never been able to exercise without eating. I like to exercise around noon in between my late breakfast and early dinner. If I haven't eaten I start to feel weak and shaky.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #247  

DS had a follow up appt from when she had shingles. Her A1c is 5. She told her doctor that she seems stuck where she is weight wise and he told her not to worry about it to just keep doing what she is doing and it will come. I am very proud of her.

Carol Sue I wouldn't think your step-daughter would need to lose much more weight but then she knows how she feel. My baby sister is short and we all think she loses too much weight. Her DH called me one time and asked me to tell her to stop dieting because he could see her ribs, but she wouldn't stop. Not to long ago she told me that now that she is older she has a hard time losing weight and sometimes has to go on an egg fast for 2 or 3 days to get her weight back down. I'm not sure but what she has lost too much. Sometimes I wish I had that problem, because I struggle so much just to lose. I just hope you and I both can get things working for us.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #248  

Trish, I thought 172 was too much for my step daughter because it was just a big belly. I doubt if she will try to lose more than the 15 lbs she lost. My lowest weight was 122 but I leveled off at 135 and was always trying to get lower. At 135 I just looked normal. Sometimes when you lose weight people think you are too thin but they are just used to seeing you bigger. Just once I want to hear someone tell me I'm too thin!

I don't have much to post about now that I'm not weighing. I don't think I am going to eat breakfast today because we only have 2 eggs. Not enough for the two of us. I never let my eggs get that low. I don't buy them at Wal-Mart anymore. I need to stop at Dollar General for them. DH might want to get Burger King breakfast. He doesn't like McDonald's anymore.

My calories have still been over 1000. The highest was 1300. I can't wait til Friday to see if this change did any good. I might be down but bump up on weigh in day.

When I was single I sometimes ate nothing but eggs for days. You know how much I love eggs!! I didn't have much money and eggs were always so cheap but full of nutrition. And they only take minutes to fix. I could not do that now because DH still thinks eggs cause heart disease.

Today is day 200 on MFP!!

We will be leaving for Wal-Mart soon. We only go there twice a week now. I have to start looking for toilet tissue and paper towels. I heard they are getting scarce again so don't let yourself run out. I think the people who stocked up are now running out so they are stocking up again.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-21-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #249  

Edited to say Congratulations Carol Sue on your 200th day on MFP.

Weight back down to 197 this morning. FBG 118 but then I checked it earlier since I want to make my eating window between 10ish and 8ish most days. I'm back to eating my eggs and bacon with toast in the morning. And I kind of like having the my yogurt, berries and protein shake to close out the day. It worked so good yesterday that I think I will do it again today. You know how I enjoy my eggs and bacon. LOL

The pork we were going to have yesterday turned out to be that awful steak I had bought a while back at Walmart so I just went ahead and cooked it. I started taking the Lipotropic again that I took before I went to bariatrics. I have them and they did curb my appetite and I think they did again yesterday. I divided them up and took 3 at lunch and 3 with evening meal/snack and I think they really worked. I have 2 more bottles and will take them to see how they do. If they work, I will keep taking them.

I too would love to have someone say I had lost too much weight. Not sure that will ever be again. Right now I would just like to get back down to the 165 lbs I weighed in the picture I have on my fridge. That is what I weighed on our first trip back home the year I married DH.

Have a nice day everyone.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-21-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #250  

I buy steaks at Walmart. I buy thin cut New York Strip steak. That's the only place I can get steaks that are not an inch thick. DH likes his steak well done and I can't get the thick ones done enough inside without burning them. I put mine on for a few minutes each side and it's perfect. They are about 1/2 inch thick.

This morning DH cooked the 2 eggs we had for me and made pancakes for himself. We got a dozen in Walmart. I want to try them again after we got those bad ones a couple months ago. Then I got 2 more dozen in Aldis so I didn't have to stop at Dollar General.

We got our first 2 tomatoes from our garden today so they will be coming right and left. I have 2 loaves of zero carb bread in the freezer so I will be eating lots of tomato sandwiches. Love is good!!
Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #251  

I overate last night and didn't fast. That is the first fast I missed since last Friday. I don't think I have to fast every day but most days, and should still be healthy food. Mine included ice cream. I will find out on Friday if I did any serious damage. I'm hoping for 189 but any drop will be good. I just checked and I was 194.5 last Thursday so it's really a stretch to ask for 189 in a week. I will be happy with a 2 lb drop. I'm getting anxious.

DH cooked the Wal-Mart eggs today and he said they were fine so I guess the bad ones we were getting were a fluke. Eggs at Wal-Mart and Aldi's both are down to $1.18 so as long as they don't go higher it's not worth it to make a special trip to Dollar General to get them for $1. Not always but often when I'm at Dollar General I buy snack foods too that I don't need. So as long as egg prices are down and the eggs are good I will continue to buy them at Wal-Mart where it's convenient. It's not beneficial to save a few cents on eggs if I'm also buying junk food.

Last night we went to Bob Evans. I was surprised how many people were there since it was before 4. But they had the tables spaced out and people had masks except to eat. They cleaned the tables and seats after each customer. The only bad thing was they had salt and pepper mills on the table that other people could be touching. Other restaurants we've been to gave us salt and pepper packets. I didn't use the salt and pepper but DH did. We both had a dish called Chicken Noodle Deep Dish. It is a buttermilk biscuit in a bowl topped with mashed potatoes with chunks of chicken then covered with thickened noodle soup. It's a great winter dish but we enjoyed it. Very high carb. That might be why I continued eating in the evening.

I hope to do better today and tomorrow.

I wanted roast beef but it's too late to start it in the slow cooker. I'm going to cook it in the pressure cooker. Yum

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-22-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #252  

If things keep going like today, I definitely will continue taking the Lipotropic pills. I have a new low at 196.6 and FBG 109. Even my bp has settled to a good steady reading lately. I hope it is this all means that I have figured out my circadian rhythm and working with it. I eat breakfast around 10ish and close my eating window before 8 pm. Last night I even had a 1 oz serving of chips with my Protein shake and ended with a 3 pt roll over.

Carol Sue I'm glad you were able to get your eggs at Walmart again. That will be easier. I have learned that I can have an ice cream cone everyday when I finish my main meal. I bought Keebler 1 c cone and take whatever flavor of Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom ice cream and have 1/4 c instead of 1/2 c scoop and make myself a 1 scoop ice cream cone for 3 pts. That is my treat that I look forward to everyday and that is just sweet enough to keep me from wanting to snack on sweets.

I have a small can of salmon that I have decided to make into patties for my to eat today. I have a frozen Lazanga that I am going to heat up for DH. I usually try to eat something else when he eats it. I would have cooked chicken but we are going to Walmart tomorrow to get meds and a few groceries and that usually means KFC day unless he decides to go get McDs. But he will need some more slaw so I'm sure it will be KFC.

Have a nice day everyone.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #253  

Trish, I once bought a box of baby cones that only held a tbs or 2 of ice cream but I think if I bought them now there would be nothing to stop me from eating 3 or 4 at a time. I don't have good portion control right now. I have a little container I use for eating some things where I have to control portions size but I still have some issues with going back for seconds. All of a,sudden DH started buying ice cream to keep at home. I get suspicious of these things because I always think he is sabotaging me. I have to train myself to be stronger.

My roast is in the pressure cooker. I started it early because I thought it was 2:00 but it was only 1:00 so we might be eating very early.

I'm glad the lipotropic pills are working for you. I looked at them online but I'm afraid to take things like that with my meds and medical issues. I just need to keep trying on my own.

Enjoy your salmon.

Edit: my roast is done and I have it in the pressure cooker keeping warm while I make the mashed potatoes and green peas. I pulled a piece off and tasted it. I think I could sit down and just eat the whole roast!! Yum!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-22-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #254  

Carol Sue Your roast sounds delightful and makes me want one. I just might try one from Walmart if I see a pretty one and cook it this weekend. I have been wanting to go back on keto but I know that is just my craving for meat especially beef. I can go crazy with both beef and pork roasts. I have a pork roast in the freezer but just not ready for it yet. It is one of the loins that comes 2 in a package. We had one already a while back. I will need to cook it soon.

I would try doing more of a low carb plan on WW but I just don't trust me with that.

I know how you feel about not being able to control some portions with some things as I still have that problem too. I just cannot bring some things in the house any more or at least at this time. Just to dangerous to my weight loss.

DS got weighed when she got her shot this morning and she stayed the same. I'm thinking her body is adjusting to her loss and she will start losing again before long. I seem to lose so slowly that I have to be more careful these days.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #255  

Trish, when I see people cook a pork roast on TV it looks so good but when I make it I don't like it. DH likes pork loin but I like fattier cuts.

Even though you are losing slowly you are still losing. I wouldn't change anything if I were you.
Closed Thread