Old 08-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #346  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Pipsicle I wanted to tell you that your fatigue could be you body adjusting to your new way of eating too. I know you have had fatigue issues, but I hope this is one of those things that will iron itself out as you go along with your new eating plan.

Carol Sue So glad you don't need the surgery at this time. I didn't know how to pray about it because I wasn't sure what you wanted so decided to pray for good news and for things to work in your favor whichever you would be comfortable with. God always knows what is best for us and what we can handle comfortably. He is so Good. I can understand being nervous about the treadmill. I've never had the test done and it is a little scary to me, but I know they have an injection they can do that is even more scary to me too. I pray that you will come through the test tomorrow without any pain.

This book I'm reading on IF also said to use the same window of eating each day too, but I don't think Dr. Fung said that. Reading The Obesity Code menus looked like one was for vegetarians and one for regular eating and one of the days had oatmeal on it. One day even suggested All-Bran Buds with milk and mixed berries for breakfast. I saw it as a lower carb, but not low, low carb. I agree with you too about the scheduling. I can fast until lunch like I'm doing today because I'm home all day, but on Monday and Friday and when I go to church on Sunday mornings, I can't do that especially if we do the stores after like we often do. As for doing extreme low carb, I'm not good at making a pizza for DH and not eating it too. So I also need a little more flexibility.

As for keto. I had such a bad reaction to the detoxing getting on it that I really don't think I want to go through that again. I broke out in such a bad rash from sweating off the toxins. I know that is probably a good thing, but I sweat enough with the TX summer heat as it is, I just can't go another rash right now. So I think just doing IF right now is the best way for me to go and just eat less carbs, but not <20 grams right now.

I remember reading a book one day not sure it was Dr. Fung or someone else that said pick your eating window to fit your life style. If you are a person who eats at night then make your eating window fit that time. I think since you and I grew up eating only 1 or 2 meals a day that we have to still do that to lose weight. I also think that because we have Hubby's to include in our plan that our plan has to fit our lifestyle with them. DH doesn't low low carb, but he isn't into a lot of bread but there are starchy foods he is going to want to eat like 1/2 bun with his McD's burger and French fries and pizza. I can adjust to that and have it once a week with him and I've learned to make it to burn fat for us both as we both have a nice size salad and I add veggies o top of my pizza and while he doesn't like the lettuce etc on his CB, I add them to mine.

I also know that staying up at night I am going to want at least want something to eat. So I've decided that I need to only eat OMAD with a little something later in the evening about 4 or 5 hrs after main meal. So I am going to spend this next 3 weeks when I have no appointments other than going to see Daddy on Monday and beauty shop on Friday. If I go to church on Sunday and am not going to a store after, I can fast until we come home from church and have our early meal of breakfast for our main meal. This is a good time to make a new habit. I figure if I can spend 3 weeks doing this that by the time the 3 weeks is up, it can become a habit and I will be able to make this an everyday lifestyle.

Today was a busy phone morning. If I call around 9:30 in the morning, I can talk to Daddy and we have a great visit while he is alert and before he goes out in the hall to be with his friends. DS was back in town and she had gone for her shot and was disappointed that she had gained 1 lb this week, but they and I told her that probably was water, not a gain. Then my daughter called and I decided to ride the bike while talking to her so I have Day 1 of 20 minutes bike exercise done for this week. I'm going to shoot for 6 days and hope for at least 4 or 5. I'm on my way.

Fatmad Thinking of you and hope all is well with you. I figure you really busy when we don't hear from you.

Hope everybody has a great day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 217/187/175

Height: 5'3

Trish, I was praying for a miracle, that I would not need the surgery, but more because I didn't want to have to go to Pittsburgh. I am not concerned about having it if it could be done here in my hospital. It is not actually surgery. It is like having a catheterization, getting a stent which is done while you are awake, but it uses a laser. I feel that God takes care of me, does what is best, and I thank Him.

I have done a treadmill stress test several times before, but not in about 10 years. It is only 3 minutes long, but they increase the incline and speed quickly and it is difficult. Not at all like walking on a treadmill for 3 minutes. I have had the other test where they inject you several times too. It is a very uncomfortable feeling but it also only lasts a few minutes. He has a reason for wanting to see how I do on a treadmill rather than having the injection. I hope he is able to get the results he wants from whatever I am able to do tomorrow. I really like this doctor. I might try to switch to him all the time rather than going back to my other cardiologist. I liked him, too, but this doctor is young, only 38, and seems to be better informed about new procedures. I think the older doctors get set in their ways and don't pay attention to new research.

I have read several books that say you should keep your eating window the same each day, but I feel that your body gets used to that and it's better for your body to not know when it's going to get food. Some say that if you eat your meals at the same time every day your body gets hungry at that time every day. People who are normal eaters, who are not on a diet don't always know when they are going to eat. I want my eating to depend on when I'm hungry so I'm giving my body fuel. I also don't think you have to fast every day, but maybe just most days. I realize there are people who have to follow a plan exactly to the letter to be successful and that is what works for them, but I don't want my life to be structured in that way.

When you log your food in MFP, did you ever look to see which foods are contributing most to the high sodium? I decided to log my food for a week or so just to see what I get. I logged today and only came up with less than 1000 calories, so I ate a banana as a snack to bring it over. I don't usually do that but I hadn't had my banana for today. My sodium was only 1650, though.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-12-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #348  

Carol Sue Yes, I have logged my foods when sodium goes higher. This is another reason that I'm not sure keto is good for me because of all the cheese people eat. I eat cheese, but keep it low because of the cheese. Also when I make pizza or tacos, I notice that the sodium count is really high. I really do better to eat lower carb for that reason.

I also think that your body gets used to eating at a certain time if you eat at the same time everyday. I remember asking DH daughter when she eats. She said, "I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes I get busy and forget to eat because I don't get hungry". She didn't eat at the same time everyday. She would cook for her family and not eat because she wasn't hungry. I was like that when I was younger and I would really like to get that way again.

I didn't eat today until around 4 pm and my bs was 106. I have shake planned for this evening around 7:30 so I don't eat after 8 pm. It isn't written in stone that I have to drink the shake. If I can go without it, I will not drink it.

I'm glad you were happy with the new cardio and he is a good doctor. I don't like driving to a big city for a hospital either. I didn't mind it when I was young, but not my thing any more. I pray the treadmill test goes well tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #349  

I have Day 1 done for the 1st day of 1MAD and 1 small snack. Calories a little over 1100 and carbs 68 and sodium was just a little over 1000 mg. So this was a good eating day.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #350  

I don't think the girls at the doctors office explained this monitor correctly. They told me to change the rechargeable battery every morning. Well, it went dead in the middle of the night and started beeping. We didn't know what it was. I got up and changed it. This AM I read the directions and it says to change it twice a day. So it does not last all day and night. Also, they told me to push the button when I get symptoms but didn't say to call the company. The directions say to call to report symptoms. So I will call the company this AM and ask them what to do.

I think you will do well with this plan, Trish. It is what works for you. When I tracked my food I forgot to check to see how many czrbs. I don't eat as much cheese as I used to. I used to eat it daily but now it's once a week or so. I have had to throw some out that got moldy.

I am a little hungry but can't eat or drink coffee. FBG was 85 but it was early. I hope it goes up a bit since I can't eat. I pray for God to be with me for this test because I don't think I am going to be able to do it.

​​​​​​o
Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #351  

Carol Sue The monitors must be deferent now. When DH wore the ones he wore when we lived in SC, he never had to change the batteries. How long do you have to wear it? I have really been praying for you. I might could walk the treadmill even if on the incline some but I would be nervous and afraid of falling when they speed it up. So my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Yesterday, my bp went up pretty high for me. It would have been okay for some but not me. My eyes went blurry. I could see okay but I felt so strange. I hadn't taken my bp pill yet because I take it when I eat when I take all my pills. As soon as I took the pill and drank some cold water the bp started coming back down and mu vision cleared perfect. DH said he had never heard of anything like that so I'll talk to the eye doctor when I seem in September. I thought I might have to give up my caffeine coffee, but this morning my bp was very low. Of course I didn't have but 1060 mg of sodium yesterday so that could have been the difference. I had DH check my oxygen level and listen to my heart and I checked my bs and everything was perfectly fine. So I didn't take my bp med as planned this morning. I feel dragged out and am drinking a watered down cup of coffee because I don't have any decaf on hand and I kind of need the caffeine to get me going this morning.

I made it yesterday with 1 meal and a small snack of 2 Slim Jim beef sticks and a few cashews. I didn't need the shake so didn't have it. I will do this 1 meal and 1 snack for a while. I was rewarded with a 1lb loss, but my FBS was 132 which I hope means that this means my liver is getting rid of fat. The IF book for women said to start everything off slow. I am going to try to keep the carbs under 70 and maybe I can even slowly lower the carbs and ease into keto. I ordered some books yesterday that we advertised on FB for making keto desserts and breads and pasta. They had a whole set of books on cooking everything but I didn't order them. I can cook low carb on my own, but I would like to learn how to make some other things.

Have a nice day everybody.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #352  

The test went better than expected. I explained my difficulties to them and they said if I have to stop they will stop. I think I did about 6 minutes. The doctor doing the test didn't tell me to stop so my heart must have been doing ok. It was just getting too fast for me after they raised the incline.. Now got wait to hear what my doctor says. I

Trish the last time I did the monitor I did not have to change the battery. This one is different. I have to wear it for 30 d ays.

I hope you get your bp straightened out. I never had any symptoms when my bp went up. It was up today because I wasn't allowed to take my meds until after the test.

I'm going to rest for a while now.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #353  

Carol Sue So glad the test went well and glad it is over. I hope you get a good report.

I got a call from my Daddy this afternoon confused about where he was. I explained to him where he is and assured him that it is all paid for. It made me sad when he asked me if he still has his burial plot and if he is staying where he is until he moves there and I had to tell him yes. I called the nurses station and asked them to check on him because of his phone call. Some time he does this and he is getting sick with an infection and I want them to watch him. I called him later and he was headed to the bathroom and I figure he was getting ready to have his shower. His words were not really easy to understand as he sounded like he had a thick tongue or had something in his mouth. But the nurse never called us back so I assume they think he is okay. They wouldn't take him to ER at this point any way. I'll call him in the morning. If I call between 9:30 and 10 am I can usually talk to him then.

My eating has been good today. I didn't eat until almost 4 pm. So I had about 19 hrs fast by the time I ate today. I ended up with an eating window of 4 hrs today. We had sauerkraut and franks for dinner and I decided that was all I wanted. Since I'm not following any one elses eat plan, I decided that I didn't have to eat a salad or anything else. So I finished my meal with 1 oz of cashews and my home made yogurt. My calories today ended up being 1024 and 60 grams of carbs. So Day 2 on IF/low carb is very good.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #354  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quick Hello before work; got home Monday night and been busy ever since. I did OMAD Monday, and fasted yesterday. I will plan for supper tonight, but not before, so that will be almost 48 hours, since it was late Monday when I ate. Weight this am was 154. I sure did gain with all the holiday fun.
Pipsicle, congrats. I hope the fatigue is just an adjustment. And you may not like it, but fasting is helpful for fatigue and chronic fatigue. DH stopped a flare up of his chronic fatigue with IF and a one day fast. He has always been one who gets a flare when stressed or not sleeping well, or if he gets sick with something else. He doesn't really need to lose weight, but he has done some IF for his small pot belly that started this year, with good success, lost an inch quickly.
Its less about losing the weight fast and more about immune boosting, which fasting also helps with. Check out some youtube stuff about it, especially dr fung.
I hope the room move goes well, watching our little ones grow is wonderful, but bittersweet.
Carol: glad the need for surgery is postponed and hope the stress test isn't too hard on the knees and feet. I agree, the shakes are only useful as meal replacements, not to add into your day.

Trish: I hope you are doing well too Its been a busy summer for you. I hope the change in hospitals goes well. Here its not insurances that affect which hospital, its that one does cardiac, another does orthopaedics and obstetrics, the first does respiratory, etc. So you don't get to choose, the disease you have makes you choose. No system is perfect, but at least he has insurance.
9 more days of work. Blessed days.
Have a good Wednesday
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #355  

Well, I got very good news today. The doctor's office called and said the treadmill test was good, and he just wanted to know why they stopped it early. I told her it was just too fast for me with my knee and foot problems, and the were OK with that. I am assuming that that means I do not need the valve replacement yet, and hopefully they will be doing it here in 2020. God has answered my prayers, once again.

Trish, I am hoping that your phone call to your Dad today was a good one. I think it's understandable that he would have some confusion at his age.

This no-plan plan is working well for you. I think your calories are in line as long as you are not hungry. A little bit of hunger is not a bad thing, and I see you are following your hunger and not just eating because it's mealtime. It's better than being stuffed.

FBG was 119 this morning. Yesterday, we went to McDonald's after the test. Not the best choice, but it was convenient and I wanted coffee and ended up eating, too. Then I laid down for a little rest. I had slept the night before, but I think it was more stress relief that it was over and went well. DH made dinner for himself. When I got up around 6 my stomach felt empty but I did not actually feel hungry. I don't know why I rarely feel what I know to be hunger. I checked blood sugar and it was 67. I didn't think that could be right so I checked again and got 66. So I figured I better eat. I had a tomato sandwich and a banana. I just took a small amount of G since blood sugar had been so low. I was not getting hypo symptoms, but started to get them after I ate, and it took about a half hour for the carbs to kick in and stop the symptoms. Once the tomatoes from the garden are finished I probably won't be eating so much bread. I just love tomato sandwiches with mayo!

Good to hear from you Mad. I wouldn't worry about the gain, because you always get it off quickly. That's good to hear that IF helped your DH with his chronic fatigue. They are finding more and more things that it helps.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #356  

I didn't get to talk to Daddy today which I hope is good news because it means he was busy with his friends or some activity. I like being able to talk to him, but I like it even better when he is doing things he enjoys. Maybe he will call later if he thinks about it. Hard to know what he remembers these days. But they didn't call us from the facility so he must be okay and that is always good to know.

Carol Sue I'm so glad the test went well and they can postpone things. Even more relief for you that you are doing okay, which is good news we love to hear these days.

fatmad It is good to hear from you and I see you are back to your long fasts so you will be losing the pesky lbs you gained very soon. Thanks for the encouragement concerning Daddy hospital change. DS read her text that read the info wrong and found that it said CHF clinic. I don't know how it read what sounded like seed ship which made no sense at all. I think I know where the clinic is from when DH went there for Coumadin checks once a month when we first moved here and had the female doctor who was with that system.

No bp problems today. Everything is good, I slept good and feel great today. I've already done all my exercise for today even the bike. FBG was 133 this morning, but I'm down another lb and the nice thing is I know it is a real loss and I'm not going to get back on the scale tomorrow or the next and weigh 5 lbs more because of a tired run down scale. I am so pumped up to move forward with my new woe. I am exercising daily although not on the bike everyday but I do move around much more. They told my sister at the weight loss place she goes to that she could lose better if she could move around more which is hard for her to do with the pain she has, but hopefully as she loses more weight some of that will let up so she can move more. She is walking more using her cute walker she bought so I know she will do more in time.

Calories today will be a little more at 1359, but carbs are lower at 58. I really am trying to stay under 70 grams as I remember reading somewhere that you really needed to keep them under 70 grams as much as possible. The nice thing is that I'm enjoying foods that I like to do it.

I joined Healthline.com yesterday to get some of their great info from them in a newsletter in my email box. I have read a lot of good infor when I look up things online. I got a loft of good info from them on ACV and I printed out some of it that I was interested in on how to use some of it according to scientific proof of it working. I copied info for about 8 of the 11 they recommended.

They said to drink 1/2oz of ACV in 1 pt of water everyday for 12 weeks to curb appetite while trying to diet and lose weight. It also say it helps digest roughage when used as a salad dressing. So I've gone back to using it on my salads again. It doesn't give any measurements but says heat ACV with Dijon mustard on the stove and then add Olive oil and then pour on veggies. They say using it with your veggies you get a double benefit and healthier digestive system.

They said there was nothing to back this up scientifically but in 2007 the 11 people took 2 T of ACV with a cheese snack at night and woke up with lower FBG readings. I am not sure I am ready to drink 2T of ACV even in water especially since the deal above says take 1/2 an oz for 12 weeks and the go to 1 oz for 12 weeks. It seems to me that it is better to use more at one time should be worked up to. I guess I need to check and see how many spoons 1/2 oz and 1 oz compare. They also have a recipe for an egg salad recipe made with ACV for lowering cholesterol because Apples and Vinegar to do together lowers cholesterol. I might try that instead of the 2 T ACV and cheese snack. They also had a recipe for using ACV instead of mayo in an Avocado Egg salad that I might try in the future, but I don't have any avocados right now.

They also think that ACV combined with some of the anti-cancer foods might be helpful too and suggests using it in a broccoli salad as the salad dressing. They also say it is good for headaches. They say to rinse a cloth in cold ACV for few minutes and apply it to your forehead. I thought all the is interesting and thought I would share it.

Fatmad and Pipsicle they also said using it seems to help improve energy. I look forward to seeing if that works the more I use it in my salads etc. I'm glad I like it on my salad I eat each day. I have actually added it to my salad even when I want the taste of my Ranch dressing and it works good too.

Y'all have a great Wednesday Everybody.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #357  

Finally was able to talk to Daddy and he was himself around 6 pm. So thankful that I got in touch with him. He said he had probably gone to workout when I called him this morning.

Another good eating day and not sure if I'm going to need a snack or not.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #358  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Success: stayed fasted until supper last night. I had tea and water at work and got through the day by being busy.
I am going to have to figure out how to translate this into working for me when I am mostly off work for 4 months. I will still need to fast at times. It is harder when I am not busy. And somehow, doing other stuff doesn't translate in my head as being busy.
I just have another week and am thinking a bit about what to do with my time for the next while. I am thinking of taking music lessons again. I had to stop playing fiddle with my bad shoulder, and I may take that up again, or piano. I play a bit and would like to play better. All good things that don't involve food.
We went out for supper with DD last night to a good restaurant with lots of GF choices, and I had fish and chips and a salad to break my fast. I also had a couple of yummy ciders, but I think cutting out alcohol will be the way to go to get serious about losing weight again.
I am up 1/2 pound this morning with all the carbs I ate last night. it will go away today, I am not worried.
DH is leaving for the cottage again, I won't see him for a week until I get there. It may be a good time for a longer fast. I am on call during this time and will see how I do.

Everyone seems to be finding a groove, lets support each other to stay in our good grooves and find some success in weight loss and blood sugar regulation.
Have a good Thursday friends.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #359  

FBG 92. No scale! I know I should.

Mad, I don't know if I would have been able to fast at work. I tried eating a very small lunch because we ate dinner early even back then. It drew comments from co workers to whom lunch was a big deal. I am too easily influenced by other people. Now I'm influenced by DH.

Trish I'm glad you reached your Dad and he was ok. I know that is such a worry for you. It's good that they still have him exercise and have activities for him.

I am weaning myself off the Tylenol Arthritis. My pain is slight and I think blood sugar control helps, plus the gout meds. I am back to taking the Xtra Strength for sleep which is much lower mg. I carry the Tylenol Arthritis plus an rx pain med in my purse just in case but haven't needed it for a good while. That's a big plus for me. The pain is in my wrists/hands more than feet/legs. I bought some electrolyte water and drink some if get leg/foot cramps like I did last night. I wanted to stop buying bananas because of the carbs but they are the only fruit I eat and I only eat half. They get too ripe so fast. I buy them green and only a few at at a time. When the doc did blood work recently I saw that all my numbers were good, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium. Right in the middle of normal range so I don't have to supplement. He doesn't check for vitamins.

I need to find something to catch me when I'm going to slip up. I want to get an inspirational wrist band but don't know if i will wear it regularly. On Amazon they have a bracelet that zaps you if you eat junk food. I don't understand how it works. LOL.

DH made eggs, bacon and tomatoes. This bacon is actually good. Not too salty. But I only have 1 slice. I will have to remember Oscar Mayer.

Have a good day!
​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-15-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #360  

fatmad You have done so well and I know you will work things out so that you can continue to lose your weight.

Carol Sue Yesterday I got a deal from Amazon offering some books to read and some were less money than others because of my monthly fee that I pay. It recommended a book titled Autophagy: How To Combine IF and Novel-Prize Diet by a Thomas Hawthorn. It was advertised for $.99 so I went over to buy it and found I could get it for free so I got it. Is that book the one you have?

I am absolutely amazed at what I've read so far and I've only just got to the 3rd chapter and can't put it down. It gives 4 Methods that you need to do combined to stay in Autophagy. I thought you had to fast long hrs just to get into Autophagy and you do have to fast, but he says the Methods are Low-carb Diet. High-fat Diet which he will discuss later in the book, IF, and Exercise. After reading how Autophagy actually eats the damaged cells in our bodies so that our body makes new healthy cells, I now realize that I need to do a HFLC Diet along with my exercising and Intermittent Fasting. How could I not with the knowledge the Good Lord has put into my hands. I need to read what he calls low carb because he says I one place in the beginning we need to eat fruits, veggies and protein. I'm thinking about Atkins again not sure at this time, but it is a good place to start. need to go to the store tomorrow after I go to the beauty shop so I can get the stuff that I will need.

Weight stayed the same 216 and FBG was 129 today. I did end up drinking a shake last night, but maybe I need to consider doing a few OM days now that I understand everything better. Autophagy can reduce my chance of having Alzhiemers (never can spell it), cancer and other diseases. However, I've been trying to avoid or hold off a lot of things I know my family history had, and this gives me a chance. I may start low carb Saturday by fasting and eat only 1 low carb meal that day. I can't wait to share this info with both my sisters.

Y'all have a great day.