Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

FBG was 130 this morning and weight was 211.8. Boy I hope that weight is right, but I'm preparing myself for it to be higher because DH took one of my 10 lb weights on it to see if it would work and it showed nothing. That could mean that it is 10 lbs off. I'm trying to get mind set ready for that. I am excited that my trip to Golden Corral didn't raise my FBG from yesterday 132 and if the weight is right it only went up .6 lbs so that is all good news.

Fatmad Thanks for your input. I shared the fact that I am missing fruit on my CAD FB group and had a lady tell me that she eats fruit as her dessert during her RM. So I am going to do that too. As long as I'm not hungry and my FBG is not going up and weight is coming down even if it is inching down.

I do like to have a dessert at the end of my RM and fruit will be a nice ending. A dessert kind of says "That is all for today". It may even help me leave off the evening snack so that I can get to eating just 2MAD. DH eats fruit, but he doesn't go crazy with it and he really doesn't want to change what he is doing. I am the one who misses some of my more carby foods, however, I will stay with the plan with him because it helps him. Not sure what I will do about the milk, but we only have it once a day and I put that in my RM. He doesn't have to go low fat anything since he does not have any weight problems. So I have decided to stay with CAD and give it a real chance. I will not do the Entry Plan like I was going to do, but I will do 1 Complimentary Meal and 1 Complimentary Snack which are just low carb meal and snack. Then of course I'll eat the RM eating keeping it as balanced as possible. I want to have some each food group during that meal. Another nice thing about CAD is that I can have 2 CM low carb meals and then have a small RM of some food I really want like watermelon or popcorn etc. I remember Rachel Heller telling that to someone on a talk show. It is very doable. The key is to have only one insulin surge a day by having a carby meal (not a binge) within 60 minutes.. I think I remember reading that some people can't do a 60 minutes without getting another surge so I try to keep my meal within 35 minutes. Of course, I think the biggie is that this is also a plan that is worked correctly automatically becomes an IF plan because you should have at least 14 hrs of fasting if you ate more meals than I do.

Carol Sue It is nice to know your neighbors. I don't even know mine. I'm sure they would be helpful if needed, but people here are not as friendly as they were in SC. TX used to be friendlier, but things change. I think it is because people spend most of their time working these days so that even women don't have time to visit like we did when we were younger. So sad that things have changed so.

I'm praying that the lady will be able to work with IRS to keep her business open not only for her sake and the sake of the ladies who work there, but baby sister and I will have a long way to drive just for hair cuts and perms. Baby sister already drives over 40 miles just to go to her every 6 weeks. I would be going every 3 months. However, I would save a good $100 at least 2 months out of 3 if I do my hair myself. Life changes so we will see.

I'm sorry, I've gotten wordy lately. I need to cut it back. Y'all have a great day everyone.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #317  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Smile Ticker changing day!

Carol- Glad to hear your garage sale went smoothly but wish you had made more. Talking with the neighbors was always one of the things we enjoyed most about having garage sales.

Trish- Nice to hear the doctor's appointment went well. Sorry about your beautician's problems- hoping they get worked out. One thought on checking the scale- it may be worthwhile to hold the 10 pound weight to see if reads 10 pounds higher than when you don't hold it. Some scales are designed to be accurate in a certain range. Checking if the scale can measure only 10 pounds may be outside of its designed range.

Mad- How fun you get to see your daughters more often lately! That sweet tooth, may it retire soon!

Very pleased to say I am able to confirm another one pound loss. I've settled into the HI-12S plan (Half-hearted fasting, Insulin resistance diet, 12 Supplements). Which is different than last week. Definitely did not eat lower carb this week and the compulsion to open all of the kitchen cabinets (and fridge) has nearly stopped. I should note none of the supplements are for weight loss. Some are vitamins and some are specifically for known problems I have. BP is very, very slowly edging downward. BS feels like it is all over the place. When I fast, it reads 10 points higher than when I fasted in a similar manner a couple of months ago. I also wanted to mention, I try to eat 3 meals a day and limit snacking. In addition, one of the meals (breakfast) is very light and probably more like a snack. For me, eating smaller portions more times a day didn't work well. At first, I just ate more. Once I figured out how to do it and still limit calories, I was always kind of hungry and rarely satisfied.

My daughter goes back to school soon. It will be good to be on a more consistent schedule. I have mapped out an exercise plan that I think will work well.

Onward and upward! ...Or downward in this case- LOL

Last edited by Pipsicle; 08-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #318  

Hi Pipsicle So glad things are going well for you. It was difficult for me when the bs would be kind of wild when I first started doing IF, but it does settle down. However, I still have times when I expect better than what I get but not as often. I pretty well know what is going to raise it, plus I've learned mostly by accident that there are certain times of the day that I get a higher reading than other times because our body decides we need it. Fatmad can explain it much better than I can because of her medical understanding that I don't have.

In my research of IR, I noticed there are several different methods of Insulin Resistance diets out there. I was surprised when I looked for groups on FB that my CAD group is considered one of them. I think it is because of the idea of only getting one insulin surge when eating the one carby meal each day and the other meals and snacks being low carb. Knowing that I am trying to get more consistent with staying OP.

Have a good week.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #319  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Pipsicle: I am so happy for you to be seeing success. And yes, even with a bit of fasting, you may get some glucose dumps, causing your BG to go a bit wonky. My advice is don't test. Waste of money on strips. Ask your doc for A1C every 3 months for progress. If you don't take that advice and test anyhow. you may see higher fasting blood sugars as your body dumps the glucose overnight. This is actually good news for fatty liver, which is described as a way to store glucose in the liver. It will get better with fasting and glucose dumps.
Sounds very counter to what we have been told about type 2 diebetes and pre-diabetes. But if what we were told was working, we would not still be fat and have worsening blood sugars.
Looking at outcomes is the best judge of the success. I agree that different people seem to do well with different methods.
Good food day today. DD was here with her fella and my grand-dog. I didn't eat until supper with them, so OMAD day. I did low carb/high fat, and even the dessert was low carb. (my nut flour based cake, with whipped cream and blue berries) and I am nice and full.
Plan to fast tomorrow. Have an induction booked so will have a birth tomorrow as well. So off to bed.
Hello again to Carol and Trish
have a good night

Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #320  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

FBG 103. I didn't sleep well for 2 nights but was in bed a long time so I probably got enough sleep time. Just a lot of tossing and turning. Last night I had pain at 3 am then realized I didn't take Tylenol. After taking it I slept.

I forgot it was Sunday until I saw the post from Pipsicle. My tablet used to change your name to popsicle but now it has it in memory. LOL I'm glad you are continuing to see success. Blood sugar is tough. Our bodies seem to do their own thing and many other things affect it besides food. I feel that fasting blood sugar is less important than post prandial but just my opinion. I seem to get my highest reading after my evening meal so try to keep it light. That is hard because that is normally the largest meal.

I am still having trouble with not feeling hunger. To me that means I'm eating too often and eating too much when I eat. These things interfere with weight and blood sugar both. Back to implementing IE principal's and being more aware.

Mad, yesterday a step-niece gave birth to a 9lb 2oz boy! He was a few days early. They induced her. Short pushing time . The head came out but the shoulders got stuck, so he's going to be a linebacker. It was scary for a few minutes but then he came out. They told her he was going to be big.

Trish I sure hope your scale isn't off by much. I know you like to weigh daily. I only weigh daily if I feel that I'm on plan and am losing. I haven't felt that lately. I do not want to see 190. I think you have found a good way to include fruit. I rarely eat dessert and don't really eat fruit. I have a half banana most days and occasional watermelon but not tree fruit or berries. It's not that I don't like the taste but never had fruit growing up so I never got used to it. Fruit is more of a snack food and we didn't snack.

You should never feel that your posts are too long. I like getting all the updates. I don't have as much to say lately because I'm not doing well food wise. I hope to improve that soon. Like todsy! Breakfast is always good. It goes to pot after that.
​​​​​
Old 08-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #321  

Got the new scales and have a true weight. The old ones were 5 lbs light so I actually weigh 216. I don't like it but I can deal with it. I now have a working starting place. That means I actually weighed 218 on August 1st so I guess I have actually lost 2 lbs this past week which is good. FBG was 123 this morning.

I woke up ready to go with my CAD plan. I am going to start the Entry plan today. I ate the favorite eggs, bacon, Mozzeralla cheese and kale breakfast which keeps bs lower and makes it a OP CAD CM. I'm not sure what DH will want for RM but will either be burgers or Long John Silvers I will have a pear for dessert today whatever we eat. I also made a nice size tuna salad so I can have half of it tonight and half of it tomorrow evening. This should help get my metabolism working very well. I still want to spend 1 month on CAD. I will do the 2 weeks Entry plan and then decide whether to go back to 2MAD or stay with the 3. I"ve done my Core exercises this morning before I got out of bed and even added for more to each move. I didn't ride the bike because we are going to the grocery store over by Daddy and I since my bs goes so low (it was 103 yesterday 4 hrs after breakfast) I don't want to have a hypoglycemic incident in the store.

I am so excited to have the new scale and to have a plan that I can live with. I am pumped up again and even ready for doing exercise and that is a biggie. I've been thinking about how DH and I ate and how healthy we were when we moved to SC and I was thin doing so well with low carb and then our church decided to follow The Daniel Diet series from Rick Warren. I knew I shouldn't change and do it and I've had problems ever since although DH and I had worked at eating healthier when we first moved here and I was losing. Then things went crazy when Daddy got sick. I figure if we did it before we can do it again and the nice thing this time is except for the CAD plan to lose weight, DH eats pretty much the same way. I think DS and BIL working at getting healthier is helpful too.

Carol Sue You probably were more keyed up getting ready for the garage sale than you thought. Have you heard anything else about the surgery procedure you were talking about having? That might be on your mind subconsciously too.

Fatmad I love how you explain things and I get more info than I had before. Thanks for helping me know that when I'm doing the right thing and get a higher bs reading that it is probably a good thing.

DH is up early to go to see Daddy so I will try to get back here later.

Y'all have a great day Everybody.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #322  

Trish, I have an appointment with the new cardiologist on Monday, the 12th. I don't know how this is going to work. The 2 cardiologists are in the same group. I think the only reason I'm seeing this one is because he is the one who told me about the new procedure. I think the other one is still considered to be my cardiologist but I don't know who i would prefer. I will see how this appointment goes. Right now I feel so good I don't want the procedure but I probably need it. I might not even be a candidate.

I think it is important to have a scale that is reliable.

My blood sugar was 109 this am. I was going to take G because I ate toast but I forgot. Still, blood sugar was only 111 before dinner so G would have been a mistake. I had salad bar for dinner with a cup of chili and a cup of stuffed pepper soup. Also a couple bites of DHs pie. Blood sugar always goes higher at evening meal so I took G. I have much better insulin sensitivity in the morning which I believe is normal.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #323  

FBS was 91 but that was very early, maybe before DP. I'm running low on strips so not checking unless I think it might be high. Our tomatoes are ripening so I'm enjoying egg and tomato sandwiches. Makes me glad I have the 35 calorie bread and that it doesn't spike blood sugar.

I downloaded a bunch of free books onto my Kindle on Sunday but they didn't show up. I thought maybe my Kindle was full. I need to delete some. Here, they showed up yesterdsy. I don't know why it took so long. Most of them are about IF. I know a lot about it but most books have something new I never heard before. Reading about it helps keep me in line. The one I'm reading now is about autophagy. It started out with a lot of technical jargon I didn't understand but now it is more interesting. It is so amazing how the body can repair itself if only we treat it properly. I am thankful that Amazon offers these free books. I could never afford to.pay for all these.

We are due to have stormy weather for the next 3 days.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #324  

Carol Sue Your bs is doing very well. You aren't having to use the G as much these days either are you? I hope you don't get the storms. We could use he rain, but no storms.

I can understand not wanting to have that surgery as any surgery is a little scary. I hope you can have it if you need it, but hope you don't have to have it.

Busy morning this morning. I still haven't gotten around to the bike riding this morning and I still have more veggies to clean and put away in baggies. I may just do the bike and save the veggie cleaning till tomorrow.

I am counting calories on MFP today. I wanted toast this morning and not greens so I probably should just stick to calorie counting and IF. I'm extremely tired today and in a funky mood right now so will have to be careful to stay OP today. Still doing 3 meals just not 2 CM and 1 RM. We will see. If it wasn't for the low fat foods on DASH, I would definitely enjoy that plan.

We got a cantaloupe and a small watermelon. I cut up the cantaloupe and it is in the fridge so it will be nice and cool for our main meal. I've got a new batch of yogurt making now so we won't have yogurt till tomorrow. If I didn't have the tuna salad made up, I don't think I would even eat a 3rd meal. I would enjoy just eating a small snack of cashews and calling it quit. I made it yesterday so I wonder if it will still be good Thursday. I have to meet DS and Daddy at CHF at 2pm. DH usually fins for himself and I eat something when I get home and I could make a regular toss salad and mix that in it for my late lunch. I think I will do that today so I can just eat 2 meals.

Using MFP and counting calories makes doing IF and enjoying foods that I like so much easier to do than any other plan. Will see.

FBG was 135. Trying to remember that is good because of doing IF. Weight was back to 218.2 this morning. Not really sure why since I did everything right. will just KOKO.

Hope everyone has a nice day today.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #325  

It is still hot and sunny here but DH said the storms are coming. I feel bad that I don't have anything to make for dinner. I am not hungry but DH always is. And I'm very tired.

I think it is ok to eat CAD some days and count calories other days. Whatever works. Keep your body confused. Any of those fit in with IF.

I hope your Dad's doctor appointment goes well. Has he been feeling ok? How does he get to the doctors appointment?

I think I have some steak.in the freezer for DH to eat. I bought some hot sausage and forgot to put it in the freezer and it went bad. I hate when I do thst. Wasted money.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #326  
Madeleine

Hi friends: things have been busy. I did not wind up fasting yesterday. I was a holiday here, and though I was on call, I didn't have to go to work, just answered a few calls on the phone. DH and I had a lovely day, walked and did some housework. Had a nap, I actually slept about 20 mins.
Today I am fasting and doing ok so far. I will eat again tomorrow, and not on Thursday which will be the travel day. Will eat 2MAD all weekend, and fast in Monday for the travel day. I am hoping to go visit my mother's cousin while up north. She is in a nursing home in Elliot Lake (about 2.5 or 3 hours from our cottage, 9 hours from my home) with Alzheimer's and her daughter thinks she may have cancer, lots of pain. They are doing palliation now, just pain relief, and no testing as its very upsetting to her.
I would like to say goodbye, especially if I can't make it to a funeral depending on when she passes.
I feel like things are ok with weight and sugars, and will wait until the summer is over before I worry about fasting for weight loss again. Its just not working and I don't want to stress about it right now.
Have a good week friends
Old 08-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #327  

FBG 93. Still not getting on the scale. I know that's wrong, but I just can't face it. I feel fat. That's all I need to know. I will know when I feel that I've lost. Getting on the scale isn't going to change my weight, just depress me.

Trish, I am still using the G but not as much. My pills are 2mg. If I cut them in half it's 1mg, and in fourths it's 1/2 mg. I rarely need it before dinner, maybe just the 1/2mg, but I often need the full 2mg at dinner. That's when I need to be very careful so I don't get an overnight hypo. So far, so good. I still take the Metformin and probably always will for the additional benefits it provides. I read that people who take Metformin will live to be 100. I don't think I want to live that long!!!! It would be OK if I was still independent but not many are at that age.

I've mostly just been taking the Tylenol Arthritis at bedtime. It helps me sleep, plus keeps pain at bay. I take it occasionally during the day. I still notice that pain is less if I keep blood sugar low, which is more incentive to watch what I eat. I want to do a 24 hour fast coming up here soon to try to get myself back on track, but it's so hard to pass up on the eggs and fresh tomatoes. They are just sooooo good! It's low carb, but food all the same. I know that dinner is my danger zone.

DH complained about dinner last night so I told him I'm never cooking again. LOL I microwave our potatoes, but forgot to put them in so the steak was done before the potatoes. I told him in a restaurant the same person cooking the steak does not also have to cook the potatoes. LOL My cooking skills are getting rusty. If you don't use it, you lose it.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #328  

Carol Sue I understand about not wanting to get on the scale. I like having a scale although I'm not happy with the truth about my weight, but hopefully that will get me working on this weight loss better. My weight was up to 219.6 which tells me that what I need to make some changes since my weight seems to be going up instead of down. My FBG was 125 so that is about range it runs most of the time since I don't ever get my lower reading because of getting up so late. Although I don't like what I weigh, it is good for me to know because I do not want to weigh over 220 ever again so will work harder at losing.

My cooking isn't as good as it used to be and I think it is because cooking for just 2 isn't as exciting as it was when I was cooking for a family of 5 or more. It is difficult for all of us. That is why it is so much easier to just take people out to eat or meat my sisters and their hubbies at a restaurant. That way everybody gets what they want and no one has to do all that cooking and clean up.

I am not actually doing CAD but I am using the concept of it and Slim-fast as they are similar as far as I'm concerned. I have all these Premier Shakes I bought I am going to do shakes and one meal each day. I had a shake with a cherry berry blend of frozen fruit I buy from Walmart in it and my morning coffee. I'm not in the mood to cook today so will fix DH chipped beef for lunch and make us a bit salad to go with it and have cantaloupe for dessert. I will end my day with another plain shake. I am going to do this for a while to get myself into the habit of eating less and no snacks. We are hitting the 100 temps now here in TX so I figure this will be better than having to heat the house up cooking. I'm mainly doing IF, keeping up my calories on MFP. I have a problem when they show my sodium higher, but since my sodium is always low when they check it, I've decided to ignore it. We have gobs of Lasix that DH keeps on hand from his prescription so I can always take one of those if I need it, but I don't want to get in the habit of using that either. Hopefully drinking lots of liquids will balance that out.

Talked to my Daddy this morning and he seems to be as fine as he is going to be. He doesn't see a doctor any more. I don't really like that but when the son took over Daddy's case, he spent about 5 minutes with us and sent us on our way. His Daddy was a really good doctor and cared more. We just see nurses every 3 months at the CHF clinic and I guess if there was a problem they would call him. At least this way, he does get blood work and they check him and we can see how he is doing.

Haven't heard anything from the beautician but DS is going to get her hair done today and may learn something when she goes. They are going out of town this week end and will leave early Friday morning.

Fatmad You are staying awfully busy this summer but that is good.

Hope everyone has a really good day.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #329  

Trish, i don't know if you are still taking the fluid pill but that could be making your sodium low. The Lasix will make it worse.

We went to Wal-Mart and DH did not buy any chocolate. Thank God!! LOL. I had a NSV. We were at the checkout when I realized I forgot test strips. Rather than lose our place in line I walked all the way to the other side of the store and back for them, without a cart! So I can do it, but it was hard.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #330  
Madeleine

Carol: congrats on the NSV. walking and staying steady is a gift, one to build on.
I have been doing more yoga again recently, and I am doing lots of balancing poses, early on in the workout, while I am strong.
I know when I was doing yoga a lot before that my balance got a lot better over time. Its pretty good now, but the experience of watching others lose
balance as they get older makes me want to change that.
My neighbour, who was visiting us at the cottage had a fall there. She is extremely obese, has type 2 managed with meds, and is generally quite unhealthy.
She also has no interest in changing anything. Her balance now is poor and she is starting to use a walker more often.
While I think using the walker is great, I do wish she was in a mental place to at least be willing to be healthier, even a little.
It is very difficult for her poor spouse. He is only a little overweight and works as a PSW, so does some physical work and walks their dog. Also has a very positive attitude.
I think he will be a widower soon. I am sure she will have a heart attack or stroke before too long.
We have had 3 people have strokes here in our little 50 townhouse community, and one older lady who is bedridden (we hope temporarily) after a fall. She didn't break anything in the fall, so we hope she will be mobile in a wheelchair then walker before too long. Physio is coming in to help her.
One of the stroke victims is fairly young, maybe early fifties, it is thought she had an aneurism. She is on the mend and getting out to walk again. She is very fit and motivated. Another just had another stroke, she is the mother of the woman I call my "daughter from another mother" and grandmother who was not involved in the lives of the little girls. The good thing about her having the stroke is the family is now functional again to some degree. This is good, as I think she may have a limited time on earth left, (two strokes in a month, and other health issues does not bode well) so having a better relationship now will be wonderful.
The third lady had a minimal stroke in her eye, a blood clot lodging there and causing some blindness, which is healing a bit now. She is now on blood thinners, and since she is fairly active, walking her 3 dogs several times a day, I think she will do well.
All said, my community, while it has young families as well, has an aging population as well. As a community, we are caring for many of these people.
I have done some nursing care for two of the women, around my currently full time job.
I hope to do a bit more while I am off for the 4 months. I am tired from work, and feel like I want to retire right now.
I hope that will improve before I go back to work.

how does this relate to weight and diabetes? I guess I am just saying I want to be a healthy older person, so staying active and fit is a goal that I am finding difficult to achieve while working so much.
I look forward to doing less work and more fitness.
end of my long rant.
Closed Thread