Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #241  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

carol: congrats on shopping from "the back of the closet" feels great, doesn't it.
It took over 20 pounds before I could "see" any difference, and over 30 to really see it in the mirror, but the scale, the measurements and the clothes told the story better than my eyes. I think my eyes needed time to believe all the other measures.

Well, saving the cost of moving would pay for you to install one of those chair lifts or an elevator. (but of course, you would lose closet space to the elevator probably.
Likely, DH needs to think its his idea, not yours for you to get the move.... LOL

Trish: I hate spraying for pests, so messy to clean up afterward too. hope that goes well
Hope it goes well to stick to plan for you.
My fasting today is fine. I also got out for a nice long walk in the sunshine with DD dog. I am tired now though.
Have a good evening friends
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #242  

S/C/G: 217/182/175

Height: 5'3

In total, I have lost 36 lbs. That's since my biggest in 2008. It was done in spurts. I lost 20 then gained back 5 or 6 of that, then lost 10 and gained back of few those, and now the last 12. There were years between each loss, but for the most part, rather than a bounce up here and there, I never regained back to my original number or past it, as many do. I really struggle to lose, but I don't regain, so that's a good thing. I guess that proves that weight lost slowly is rarely gained back.

When that house sold 3 years ago it was priced reasonably, but although I didn't see it then, I know they put on a new roof which is $$$$ and most everything looks new inside, so I would say they invested in it. However, for the price they are asking, there are a slew of homes for sale in that price range. The yard for this one is tiny. And most other homes have basements, which provide storage and games rooms, etc. So at that price, people have their pick. I will be very curious to see how long it takes to sell, and what they get for it. It sat for months the last time it was for sale, and the price was much lower. It's 3 bedrooms, but people with children would no doubt want a bigger yard and it's on a fairly high traffic street. If you want to cook out in your back yard, the neighbors are so close they would be sitting there waiting for a burger. LOL So, I'm curious.

Other than the avocado, I didn't eat until dinner. We went out, and I had a piece of fried fish again with coleslaw. I'm on a fish kick. It wasn't the greatest choice, but in total I didn't eat much today. Blood sugar was 90 before I ate. I am very happy about these blood sugar numbers. If I can keep this up until bloodwork in July I should have a great A1c. I need to keep thinking about that. Today I took 1/4 of a G tablet, equaling 1/2mg. My RX calls for 2mg twice a day, so I have cut way way back. I have to do this. It's not about the weight, but that's a bonus.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #243  

My blood sugar at bedtime was 109. This morning it was 147. No clue, except that I didn't get much sleep. I didn't eat anything after dinner yesterday unless I got up and ate in my sleep. LOL I DID eat more that I've been eating.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #244  
Madeleine

Weight down to 151.5 today, so the weekend stuff is leaving me. I only fasted about 24 yesterday. When DD got home from the last of the final exams at 930, we toasted her with a glass of wine. Since I had not eaten, I had some cheese and Mary's crackers to go with, so I would not be drinking on an empty stomach.
Funny, DH and I only had sips, and wound up pouring most of our glass down the drain. But the symbol was important to DD, and that's lovely. She is relieved to be done. Planning to work and earn, and do some volunteering that will help with the social work degree she plans to get.

I hope to fast today. That may be difficult after eating last night, but only one "snack" I can't really call it a meal. I will see how that goes. I also woke up at 445 am, hope to nap a bit soon. Just working for the morning, then dentist for the braces and a massage. But I have an evening meeting. That may be hard to handle.

Carol: that stored glucose wants to leave your body somehow. Maybe you could convince your doctor to try you on Jardiance or other SGLT2 inhibitors, and excrete more into your urine. (would your medicare cover that though?)
While the weight loss has been slow, a lot of it happened in the last few months, I remember you getting into wonderland for good not so very long ago! Its still a big accomplishment and I am so glad you are not struggling with regaining.

Trish: you can do it, sticking to 2MAD and having a small eating window, or some OMAD days will keep the weight moving down. You can join Carol in wonderland.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #245  

Mad, I do not want to switch to any other drug. I just want to get off the one (s) I'm on. I've cut way back so it will happen eventually. One day at a time. I take so many pills it's ridiculous. I remember when I worked at the mail order pharmacy and I would feel sorry for the patients sending in soooo many scripts. Now I am one of them. This is why I don't really discuss my blood sugar with my doctor. If he sees an A1c below 7 he's happy. I want it lower and will continue to work toward that with diet.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Not much happening here. Weight was up quite a bit today but I'm sure that is the processed food. I did a lot of reading on Leptin hormone. Interesting I read about this hormone and how it is supposed to work and how my dieting through the years has made it difficult to lose weight. Then DS called me when she got home from her doctor's appointment and the PA told her that they had all attended a seminar this past week end and they are learning that they have been going about weight loss all wrong and that our diets have caused our bodies to come into a starvation mode because each time we diet our bodies adjust and think we are in a famine situation and holds on to the food we eat. Somehow the leptin and thyroid is involved in this. They are trying to figure out what to do about DS thyroid. The info I read says that just as T2 diabetics are insulin resistant, if we have a difficult time losing weight that we have dieted ourselves into leptin resistance as well.

I have found Leptin diets but they are different. I saw that doesn't allow any grains but says fiber is very important. Another one seems to allow grain fiber, but no fruit. So I think I just need to do as low carb as I can live with and continue using IF. One thing I see in all the plans is that I should eat 3 meals and eat them 5 to 6 hrs apart to reset the function of the leptin hormone. I think that is interesting because I have always done well going 5 or 6 hrs between meals to get good glucose readings. The problem is that my IF ratio would become 10:14 ratio although that would be okay if this would work as well as they claim. I just might try that as it stresses the importance of the timing of when I'm eating is just as important as what I eat. It also stresses not to eat until full, but to stop before you are full which is different from some of the other plans I've followed. I will start that tomorrow and see how it works.

Carol Sue You have really done well with your weight loss as well as lowering your bs. I still get a higher reading once in a while, but neither one of us are getting those higher numbers we used to get. In fact I was surprised that although my weight was up, my FBG was 132. You are doing so much better than me at this time. The weight is the problem for me. I lose a few lbs and then it doesn't keep going down and this gets to me sometimes.

The problem I heard a doctor talking about that when it comes to the problem with the leptin hormone on YouTube and he says the problem is that the problem with losing a few lbs when the leptin hormone is messed up is the few lbs you lose is burning muscle not fat. So I really do have to learn how to correct that. I also heard the doctors saying that taking leptin for leptin resistance is just as bad as taking insulin for insulin resistance. Diet and exercise seems to be the only way to get this corrected. This one doctor I found says I can go to his website and he even teaches how to exercise properly for this as well He says lengthy workouts are not going to help.

fatmad I'm glad you are back to your fasting and congratulations to DD finishing her tests.

It's late. I'm going to try to start going to bed by midnight. I read that sleeping is so important for correcting this problem and should be called "slimming" sleep instead of beauty sleep.

Good night.

pattygirl63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #247  

Trish I think the problem of weight loss has become a big fiasco. Everyone has their idea but we are not all clones and we each have to do what works for us. For years I have heard to not eat until your are full because it takes your brain longer to register full. What works for me is to always feel a little bit hungry. But then I have a day like yesterday when I eat like a glutton and I screw it all up. I am thankful that I am only up 2 lbs and that is probably water. But I don't know why I do that. A normal weight person who has no food issues would not even blink an eye at this. They would have a splurge day and go right back to normal eating the next day.

You cannot compare our blood sugar because I am taking meds and you are doing it without them. We have BOTH greatly improved.

I am going to go and read about leptin so I can understand where you are coming from.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #248  

Carol Sue I understand what you are saying and one of the Leptin info that I read said that look at the plan and see if you can live with it because One Size doesn't fit all and if you can't live with that plan you won't stick with it. I went on YouTube looking for info and Dr. Berg even talks about it. The main thing he says is that taking Leptin supplements do not work so don't waste your money. Many of the doctors say they don't think you could even put it in a supplement. The info I saw just helps me understand why a low carb diet is so important to follow. LCHF seems to be the way a person with insulin/leptin resistance have a better chance to succeed.

I am back on LCHF and working to keep my carbs down. I am tracking my food on MFP and today my calories come out to 1606 and my carbs are less than 30 g.

I started with a big breakfast with eggs, bacon, riced cauliflower & broccoli and cheese and I finished it off with half a jar of my home made yogurt and a few blueberries I also had a cup of coffee with MCT oil no coconut oil. Lunch will be a steak and salad and I will use the ACV/EVOO for dressing and I will even have my glass of milk. I would like to make this my 2MEALs without a snack, but I know I may need one so I will have the other half of the jar of yogurt and a cup of coffee with a Tbls of MCT oil.. House cleaning will be my exercise for today. I'm not going to use the coconut oil very much any more because I think it is too many calories.

FBG was 131 this morning. Not sure what was going on with my weight because the scales have been going haywire. I changed the batteries and the weight was 217.4 so not sure I was ever as low weight as I thought I was. I am thinking that I need new scales. So will just start back on a stricter LCHF woe and use the new weight for my start. At least it is lower than I thought it was since it is about 2 lbs lower than yesterday.

Got to get busy around here. I am started to clean things out around here. DH shredded a lot of papers in the room we are trying to get organized and a lot of it went on the floor so I need to get in there and vacuum it up. He will just work around it but I can't stand it. We are supposed to get a lot of thunderstorms today so it is a good day for cleaning.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #249  

We went to the store this morning for my Easter needs. When we got home, our half gallon of milk was leaking. We took it back and got another one and that one is leaking too. So with 2 trips to Walmart I didn't get a change to check out about leptin, but I will. I am interested in knowing what it's all about.

I am thinking I have leaky gut, with my unexplained pain and psoriasis. It can cause each of them, plus possibly my potty issues. Dr Axe talks about that. So I am trying to find out how to work on that.

While at the store I saw a former friend I haven't seen in years. We hung around together in our younger days. I can remember the day she turned 21 and so she was allowed to get into nightclubs with us, so that's how long ago that was. She looks wonderful. Just like she did 40 years ago.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #250  

Trish I read about leptin. I understand. The problem I have with it is I rarely feel hunger. If I only
​​​​ate when hungry I would be thin. My eating has nothing to do with hunger. It's appetite I guess.
But the diet just sounds like normal eating to me. I don't think it would matter if you did 2MAD. And if you felt you needed a snack it could be a third small meal. I don't think macros are important here but you know that I personally prefer low carb. I doubt if I will ever do high fat.. My thin friend and also my DH told me they don't understand how people can eat so much and this is it. The switch that tells them they are full is broken. People who never had an issue with food just don't get this.

This is just my 2 cents.

This is funny. A business up the street puts funny signs up outside. Yesterday it said. Sara will you marry me. Today it says Diamond ring for sale

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-17-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #251  
Madeleine

didn't sleep well last night with the "braces" on. They are moderately uncomfortable. But enough to make sleep difficult. Also not being able to close my mouth in the usual way is bothersome. I finally fell asleep (with many sleep aids) about 2 am, and woke to the alarm a little after 730. SO I am dead tired now. Fell asleep in from on the TV for a bit, but still quite tired. DH and did go for a short walk around the block. It was sunny earlier, but clouded over when I got home, dang it.
I go on call tomorrow night. I expect to have a couple of deliveries this weekend but not too worried.
Well, time to do a good brushing, and get my "braces" back on for the night.

I have read your messages, but too tired to respond much.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #252  

fatmad I guess I missed you getting braces. I'm sorry you are having trouble adjusting to them and hope you get more rest tonight.

Carol Sue I felt the same way about the diet. Nothing we haven't read before. When I told DS what I learned about how the leptin hormone works and how following the diets the way they told us over the years has caused our leptin hormone to stop working correctly. She said that is exactly what her doctor's PA told her. She got a call from the doctor's office and they told her to stay on the thyroid medicine she is on. I hope since my doctor works for her doctor (her doctor owns the clinic) that my doctor will begin to take a closer look at my thyroid function. I have read that most doctors don't check it correctly. So I hope that will change at our clinic. My Mama had to take thyroid meds, Daddy has to take it and now DS. I don't really understand how, but the leptin and the thyroid works together.

I am not happy doing a very high fat diet either so I intend to keep doing a LCMF woe. I know I need to have some fat, but just don't think I need high fat. Actually is I can just get in the habit of the 2MAD with a snack and then just work toward eventually giving up the snack. I don't plan to make big changes because I think IF is the real key to this all working any way. I also remember Dr. Berg saying that it can take a few months for the body to adjust so that the weight will start coming off. If I understand everything correctly that I've read about the Leptin problem, it is the yo-yo dieting and the "different" diets over the years is the reason I have this problem with the leptin any way. So I'm thinking the best thing for me to do is just stick with what I'm doing with IF/LCMF woe and trust that it will eventually work.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #253  
Madeleine

I agree Trish, the IF is the most important part of your eating plan, lower carb will help with the blood sugar issues. As you lower carbs, (and ensure the carbs you get are healthy, like veggies, and whole grains if you have grains) you need to replace those calories with something though. Fat does not affect your blood sugar and makes you feel full and satisfied when you eat, and helps with the fasting for that reason. How high of fat the diet is may depend on your food preferences and needs.

I now add fat to everything. Not greasy stuff, but I put chunks of frozen avocados in smoothies, and eat guacamole as a snack, (with those cheese wisps, or with veggies to dip) and use cream or heavy cream more than I ever thought "normal". I didn't get to this right away, and it may not be right for everyone. I still don't go "strict" Keto, I have more veggies and a greater variety of veggies than suggested by Keto diets.

Today weight is 150. I know I am holding onto some fluid. I slept well and long last night. Went to bed at 9, so getting up at 5 is fine.
I think having these "braces" is going to help me fast. I have to wear them at least 22 hrs a day. just taking them out for eating (which I don't do while fasting) and drinking things other than water. Since I drink a lot of tea, even when fasting, I have been taking them out, swishing with mouthwash, flossing and brushing a bit every 4-6 hours during the day. So yesterday the braces were in 23.5 hrs. The more I wear them, the faster the process will be. I slept ok last night, so I hope that means I am getting used to it. The dentist says it takes about a week to really adjust. Some of the preparation work he did put some space between some very crowded teeth and flossing is already easier. I can't wait for some of this to improve a bit. But its such a pain to take care of teeth this way. I have been told by many people who had braces (either real or these "invisalign" that I have, that they lost weight because they ate infrequently, its such a pain to clean and care for the teeth with these in place. If I wasn't already doing IF, I would be doing it now. But fasting will be easier with them in for sure. I fasted yesterday, and am dithering about continuing and fasting today as well. will see how it goes. I may take food to the office in case I need to eat, but not eat it if not needed.

Carol: if you can't convince DH to move, maybe do things to make it easier to negotiate getting around your current place. The cost of moving (never mind price differences in houses) can be more than the cost of installing an elevator, which also increases the value of a home. Do you have to get help in for the yard work? I am so glad to be in our townhouse with minimal yard work now, instead of the 2 acres of lawn and garden we had in the old place. Its so much to keep up with, I lost the joy of working in the garden. I have a very small herb and flower bed now, its fun again.

Have a great day friends, hope its a nice day for walking .
Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #254  

Trish I want to know how you know when you have fixed the leptin resistance. It is my nature to eat too often and too much. I don't know if it is because of lepin resistance. It seems to me that I just have bad habits and I have to correct them. I improve if I pay more attention to it. For me it's more about changing bad habits and not about following a particular diet or set of rules. I want it to just come natural. I want food to be my fuel not my entertainment. I think I can accomplish that and weight loss and blood sugar control will be the result. There are triggers that lead me off path and I have to be mindful of that.

I have never paid much attention to how much fat I am eating. I do not buy low fat products. I started buying 2% milk and DH switched back to skim. I don't know why. He is not one to watch what he eats and it was a struggle to get him to stop whole milk years back. Now he prefers the skim. I don't drink much milk. I eat more butter now, but that's because I like it. I eat an avocado twice a week. I eat nuts. I have always preferred dark meat to white and dark is fattier. I eat eggs that are fatty. So I think I get enough without going overboard to push fat. I really don't think that has anything to do with my ability to lose weight. There are so many other things that come in to play.

Mad, DH cuts the grass and plants the small vegetable garden. I do very little yardwork, although it needs it. DH would not pay someone to do it. He hates to pay someone to do what he feels he can do.

I think we are going to the casino today, so I am putting off eating. I'm not hungry, really. I enjoy my black coffee and that's enough for me so far. But if DH should happen to make some scrambled eggs, I will eat them.

EDIT: I decided to eat an avocado to "hold me over" until I got to the casino. Now my appetite is active when it wasn't before, and now I want something else. I will really try not to eat anything else. Drinking something would probably help, but I don't want to drink before the ride we have ahead of us. There's only one rest stop and it's when we're almost there.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-18-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #255  
Madeleine

did OMAD today. I think I need to do 2MAD tomorrow. We are having some fish and salad tomorrow as far as I can tell. DH has bought ham for Sunday.
He is hosting a community potluck supper on Sunday. I say he is doing the hosting, because I am on call. I intend to be there, and help etc. but can't guarantee.
Planning to head to bed early again I slept well last night, but woke up early too.

Trish, remember, what you have been doing has been working, so don't tweak it too much. You want to build on your success.

Carol: I hope the buffet was good today. Is the Thursday of Easter week like a Friday and you get a better buffet?

Have a blessed day tomorrow friends who are Christian.