Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish I haven't driven at night since I started driving again. I won't until I go for an eye exam after DH is better and can take me. I won't drive after having my eyes dilated. I'm glad you did OK.

I am really tired and want a nap but I probably won't be able to fall asleep so I will just go to bed early.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #242  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

blew it tonight. DD is here and we started snacking. I will roll myself off to bed now.....
Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #243  

It happens, Mad. I doubt if you did any major damage.

I'm up early to take the garbage out. Nothing in the mouse trap. I'm still hoping the bag I found was from before. The trap will stay there a few more days.

Blood sugar at 155 a little high. Too early for the scale. I wi) take advantage of the quiet to do some reading
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #244  

Good news we caught a mouse. Bad news it probably has siblings and we don't have more traps. It was one of those sticky traps left over from last time. We might have some regular traps. They didn't work last time in the kitchen but might work in the basement.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #245  

I made chicken cacciatore for dinner. I make a pretty basic recipe compared to some others. I brown chopped onion, celery and carrots, then brown the chicken in the same pan. Sometimes I use bone-in chicken pieces but this time I used boneless, skinless chicken tenders. I add a can of diced tomatoes, sometimes with basil but this time I only had plain, and a can of sliced mushrooms, Italian Seasoning and Garlic salt. That simmers with a lid for about 30 minutes. If I used the bone-in chicken pieces I would let it simmer a little longer. It can be served over noodles or rice or eaten plain, the way I do. DH does that too. He got a baked potato and corn with his. Quick, easy and inexpensive.

I wanted to go to the store today but we had freezing drizzle this morning followed by a dusting of snow and some of the roads were icy. I didn't chance it. I hope to go tomorrow. It's supposed to snow, but not until later.

Tonight step-daughter and her DH are going to get a couple gas cans filled up for our generator, in case the power goes out. We are expecting another significant showfall over the weekend and then the temps are going to be highs in the teens. BRRRRR We are hoping the power doesn't go out. We haven't had a lengthy power outage since we bought the generator.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I guess I haven't posted today. Nothing much going on here. Weight was back down to 215.8 this morning and FBS was 146. Trying to eat healthy nothing more. I did use the recumbent bike for 20 minutes and also spent about 10 to 15 minutes learning 8 Tia Chi moves on the new DVD. I don't know what I would do without DH. I couldn't get my computer DVD player to work, but he went in and found where it was turned off for some reason and now it is working. I wasn't sure I wanted order this dvd because you never know about it, but this is really a good one. I've never seen Tia Chi explained so easy by anyone else. I look forward to learning the moves as well as some of the other exercises she has on there. She also has Yoga and all these are for seniors so hopefully are easy to learn and do.

Carol Sue Sorry you still have mice, but glad you are able to catch them and hopefully get rid of them.
The chicken dish sounds good. I don't know if DH would eat it or not.

DS went to see doctor about her sleep apnea test. He is going to do another test Thursday night since they didn't get a completed test. Don't understand all the explanation, but basically he said she isn't getting enough oxygen to her brain when she sleeps to tell her to breathe and she could die. This is why she sleeps a lot but is always so tired. She wants me to have the test done too, because of Daddy having problem and I have been so tired lately. However I sleep really well lately even without taking anything although I admit sometimes I don't think I sleep long enough. That is my fault because I stay up too late. Besides I don't have the health problems she has so not sure I need to have it done. She has a heart murmur and asthma which I do not have. DH says I don't snore very often any more. However, if I keep being so tired, but I hope if I can get on a better eating plan and get into a routine of exercise that I will start feeling better. I will wait and see what happens and if I still feel really tired then I will decide if I need to be tested.

fatmad I hope you are having a better day.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #247  

Trish, when I was in the hospital before my heart surgery, this one alarm would ring during the night. When the nurse came in I asked him what it was and he said it tells them that I'm not breathing, but obviously, I am. After the surgery, they had a hard time weaning me off oxygen during the night, and the day before I was supposed to go home they noticed that if I even laid back in the bed my oxygen level would go down. That was when they decided I needed the test for sleep apnea. DH said I would actually stop breathing during the night, then after several seconds I would wake up gasping for air. So that was how I knew I needed it. According to my Fitbit I still wake up a lot during the night, but I am so used to my CPaP I can't sleep without it. I have had the test twice. It is very hard for me to sleep at all with all the wires hooked up to me so I don't know how they actually get any results.

My step-son stops breathing during the night and he had the test and got a CPap. He tried it for 30 days and could not sleep with it on, so he sent it back. Insurance won't pay for it unless you use it at least 5 hours per night. He is tired all the time. He tries to burn the candle at both ends. He likes to stay up late at night to watch sports games, then he has to get up at 3:30 to go to work. He sleeps during his lunch break and falls asleep a lot at home. I don't know how this is effecting his health. I have always had trouble staying up late at night. I am a morning person. I am very chipper most of the day but after 5PM I start to get tired and can easily go to bed around 8 or 9 oclock.

I hope you don't need it, but just need to go to bed a little earlier. DH is like your DH and stays up late, then sleeps in in the morning.

I won't know if we have more mice until we can get more traps. We see no signs of them. Last time they were in the kitchen, under the stove and we saw droppings on the kitchen counter. We caught them by putting the traps on top of the stove. No more of them now. Last night DH left half of a grilled cheese sandwich sitting on the kitchen counter and nothing touched it overnight, so I don't think they are upstairs. We will put more traps in the basement.

My blood sugar is getting bad again. It was high at bedtime again, but I left it alone because I had taken G at dinner. During the night it was down to 112 which was good, but by morning it was 174. That's what it used to do, but it had improved when I wasn't eating as much when DH was in the hospital. So I know how to get it back down.

I want to go to the store this morning because there is snow forecast for this afternoon again. Then tomorrow step-son is coming to take DH to the doctor, and more snow is predicted. Then a big storm is predicted for Saturday into Sunday. SIL already said he will be over to shovel the snow. We have a snow blower, but he can't use it unless we move the other car out of the garage. If there's a big snowfall, we will do that, but a smaller snowfall can be cleared with just a shovel. It's up to DH.

DH is not using his cane anymore. He walks pretty good without it but will probably take it if he goes out somewhere. He says it hurts his chest to use the cane. I don't know how long it will be before his chest pain stops.

EDIT: I ended up going to the store before I even had my coffee. That's a first for me. When I got up this morning I drank the juice of half a lemon in a cup of warm water. I've heard that is supposed to be healthy for various reasons. It really wasn't very enjoyable but I guess I could do it. I bought a bag of lemons so I don't want to waste them. I'll see if I end up liking it after this bag of lemons is gone.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-17-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #248  

Carol Sue I'm not doing so great with my diet right now either. I have even fallen out of IF mode. I start out ok in the morning but by evening, I go crazy. Just have a very funky attitude right now. In fact, this morning, I had to really talk to myself just to keep trying. At one point, I thought "I don't want to do any of this any more". Then some of the things I always say to Daddy, started running in my mind like "what is the alternative? Do want that?" So I'm going through the motions any way. I was so good yesterday until I had something to eat around 7 and I was a goner. I just can't keep doing this. I have blood work next week and have no idea how this is going to go. Plus I'm worried about DH blood sugar as his is running up in the 200s again.

My weight was up to 217.2 this morning and fasting was 151. Not bad, but it will be if I don't stop this craziness. The only thing that keeps me cooking healthy at lunch is for the sake of DH. I don't think I have sleep apnea, I think I am depressed and I'm not really sure why. Could just be the diet swings causes the mood swings.

I'm glad you didn't see any mice upstairs. When I worked for the prison system, we were given the chance to go eat in the mess hall during our night shift. They would leave food covered up on the stove for us guards. One night I went in and found a rat crawling on the stove. I turned around and left never ate there at night ever again. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. Your garage is down stairs, so they probably come in from the cold. I know we had them in SC when it got cold weather. We have our house sprayed regularly and the guy put out these little traps behind things where we had seen them and I don't know how they work, but must repell them because we never saw them again. In fact, the girl that does out house told DH next time they come to have them go into the attic and treat for them. She said we may have them since the weather is so cold. They are coming next Tuesday to do that. I don't know what they use but they never have to come in the house any more. They do everything outside by treating the small holes in the brick.

I had my regular breakfast but made it into French toast for a change. Then decided to have tilapia for lunch since we need to go back to having fish 2x a week again. I read on FB all that celery does for our health so I think I will try to start eating celery in the evening as a snack and try to get away from junk for snacks.

I hope fatmad and Pipsicle are doing okay.

Have a good day.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #249  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi Everyone: Trish, I want to encourage you to get the sleep test. Its not just for apnea, but other problems too. If you don't have sleep apnea, you can go on and test for other things, its a great way to rule stuff out. You can also find out if you are getting enough sleep of certain types, like REM sleep, alpha waves etc. Its well worth it.
If you don't need a CPAP, that's great, but if you do, you will feel better soon.
Carol: I know some other people who were diagnosed after heart attacks and angina, the oxygen deprivation being one of the main causes of the heart attack! So glad you got that sorted. I can now sleep without the CPAP at times, but sleep better with it. DH says I no longer snore at all without it, but I don't sleep as deeply with out it I think. I get the results of the latest sleep test in early February, so thats something interesting to look forward to.
I am thinking the the holidays and several days of eating off plan, merry making etc have affected all of us and our ability to stick to eating plans. I made it to 24 last night then ate in the evening. Stayed on plan so that was ok. Eating today, I have a lot of neck pain and can't fast when I don't feel right. I had some carb-y crackers though, so not quite on plan. (yes of course, gluten free) Also had a colleague do some sterile water injections which have helped the pain. will get in the hot tub again soon. I want a sleep this afternoon, didn't sleep well last night with the pain, even with some codeine.
I am going to keep "trying" with IF and fasting though. It does work, even when I am less than perfect, and I am not gaining, still around 153, so thats tolerable.
Hope the day goes well, and keep warm!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #250  

Mad, I did not have a heart attack before my heart surgery. Actually, I felt fine, but I was having pain in my jaw on the left side. I had heard of that being a heart sign in women and that's what made me go to the ER. I was admitted and was there for 3 days having tests before they diagnosed what was wrong.

Trish, I think both you and I know how to fix our problems and just doing it is the issue. I stll ate more food today than I should, but I ate my last meal at 4 and am not planning on having anything else the rest of the night, so I hopefully will have somewhat of a fast overnight. Tomorrow we are leaving around 10 for DH's Dr appointment so I hope to be able to make something for us to eat before we leave. There's supposed to be snow, but only 1-2 inches. Step son will probably take his vehicle since he has a 4 wheel drive because he is used to handling that vehicle in snow. I just hope the roads are treated because I don't want to be late for the appointment.

My step-daughter lives in a mobile home near a wooded area. They used to get mice, but they had a cat that was a good mouser. Her DH told me there is something new now that repels the mice. Maybe that's what you are talking about. I will have to ask him again what it is and get some. There's no room for me and mice in the same house. LOL

I called my step-daughter and the stuff they use to repel mice is called Mouse Magic. They said they put it in the heater vents because they could hear the mice running around in there. I read about it online and saw that it said that the claims about it are false, so who knows if it really works. They said they haven't had mice since they started using it, but if they stop using it, they will start hearing the mice again. I would be willing to try it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-17-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #251  

Headed out early today for a busy morning. I think I'm actually glad. I think I am suddenly not busy enough. I didn't take any thing to help me sleep last night and since I've slept so much this week and yesterday, I didn't sleep much. Prayed and meditated a lot and got to thinking about what I eat and what makes me feel better. I think the best I felt was when I was low carbing. Yes, I missed a lot of the foods that I liked but I never had that starving feeling nor did I always feel like I was bloated all the time. So I'm thinking about trying it again. I think I'll get some low carb shakes today so I can drink one as an evening snack/meal and get back to low carbing along with IF.

Weight is way down to 213.2 this morning, but FBS was 175. However, I checked FBS way early today since I had to eat early going out. I am having my eggs, bacon, cheese and spinach scrambled together for breakfast. After today, I will take an Atkins shake with me on Friday morning so I can drink it on the way to the beauty shop instead of having to eat an early breakfast. I'll do the same thing on Sunday mornings for church.

As you can see, I'm back on track. I'm not sure what was going on this past week, but I feel like I'm back in the groove and want to get to doing healthy things again and hopefully make some new good healthy habits.

Got to run. Hope everyone has a good day today.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #252  

Dr visit went well.

bbl

Anyway, DH had his visit with the hip surgeon, who said all is well and he is released. They did xrays and said they look good, and observed DH walking without a walker or cane and are impressed at how well he's doing.

He still has to see the heart surgeon on Monday. With that big snow storm that we might get over the weekend I called the office to see what would happen if we didn't make it and they said just to call in the morning if we are not coming.

DH got sick in the car riding as a passenger both to and from the doctors. He actually vomited when he got home. So he said he is not going to have step-son take him, but he is going to drive. I don't know how that's going to go. It's a scary thought, but what can I do? Even if I would call a cab he probably would get sick. He got nauseated in the van when they brought him home from the nursing home, and he said he got a little bit queasy that day when he rode with me to the store. I know he does not ride well as a passenger, but I have driven in the past with him as a passenger without a problem. Right now I hope there's too much snow and we have to reschedule.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #253  

I have done well with food today. I had some scrambled eggs before we went to the doctors. For dinner I had some rotisserie chicken and a bite of noodles and sauce I made for DH. I am getting a little hungry now but struggling to not eat. I've got to get back to IF.

At this point it looks like we will get about 4 inches of snow in our area. It would be more but they said it will snow for a while tomorrow then change to rain and wash the snow away. Then change back to snow and that's when it will get heavier. More snow farther north and as the storm travels east. New England is forecast to get a foot or more! Bad thing is the temps are going down into teens and single digets which will keep the snow from melting. Deep winter is here.

Trish it really does sound like you are back on track! Weight back down. The shakes are a good idea for when you are on the run and even at other times when needed. So many people use them to stay on track. I would too if I wasn't eating with DH so much.

I should be able to get some things done this weekend since we will be snowed in.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:51 PM   #254  

Carol Sue I hope DH is feeling better. Is it unusual for him to get sick or feel ill as a passenger or will it pass as he gets over this ordeal he has been through? I'm glad you had a better day of eating.

I found out from my beautician that a lot of people have been feeling like I did this past week. Even she had experienced being tired and they are calling it cabin fever and the fact that we have been having so many cloudy days rather than sunny days. Everyone is hoping it will pass when we get our sunny days back. I probably need to start spending some time out on the patio when it is warm enough.

I wasn't hungry when it was time to cook and I had forgotten to put any thing out to cook this morning so DH decided he wanted soup. I decided to eat a can of chicken noodle soup. I like that when I don't feel well. I didn't know how to count the calories because I don't eat all of the broth because of the sodium. I usually add 1/2 can of water to it and then eat the noodles and eat only half or less of the liquid. Didn't feel like anything else. Slimfast has a 20 gram low carb shake now, so I bought 4 bottles to see how it goes. I had one of those tonight in place of a snack. I logged it on MFP but only had a little over 900 calories today which they don't like, but I didn't want more. So I didn't eat any thing else.

I've decided to do my own thing. I am not going to eat more calories than I want any more not even to satisfy someone else's idea of what is satisfactory. I just can't do that any more. The more I've done that the worse things have been for me. I'm going to work according to what makes me feel better physically. Hopefully it will not only help me to lose weight, but I hope it will help me healthier.

I hope we will get a good nights sleep tonight.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #255  

Trish, that is the absolute best attitude. Your body tells you what it needs. I don't believe there is some magic number. If you are not as hungry some days then you eat less, and on days when you are more hungry, you eat more. Normal eaters don't track or count calories. They just eat when they are hungry and stop when they are not.

My step-daughter gets very tired and depressed when we have gloomy weather. PA has more gloomy weather than sunny, and that is fine with me because my eyes are overly sensitive to the sun. You will probably feel better when the gloom passes.

I can't seem to get my blood sugar back down even eating less, and eating low carb. I took 1/2 G this morning and I'm not going to eat until I test and get a good number. I think stress is causing this. Stress over the snow storm that is coming, and because although DH has been released by the hip surgeon he is still dealing with the heart surgery and discomfort with his chest incision.

DH tends to get motion sickness in certain situations. He cannot ride when we go to an amusement park. He cannot sit in a back seat. He got nauseated when they brought him home from the nursing home using the wheel chair van. For some reason, his son's driving makes him nauseated. It has happened before when they were going somewhere. DH tries to always drive when they do. I don't know if it would help if he took some Drammamine. When we got home from the doctor's appointment he was very nauseated. He appeared to be vomiting, but he really hadn't eaten much and nothing was coming out. It was like dry heaves. There are times when I drive for practice when we go shopping locally and seems to be OK then, and he was OK when we went to the PCP who's office is close to home. But this DR is farther away and it involves a lot of highway driving. So it isn't exactly something new, but it doesn't always happen. He got nauseated a few times in the hospital and they would inject something into his IV.

DH has been eating a lot of Campbells Chicken Noodle soup since he has been home from the hospital. He also eats mostly the noodles and leaves the broth. It seems to be comfort food.
Closed Thread