Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I didn't take the Tart Cherry Extract last night and no UTI symptoms. I also didn't sleep as well as I do when I take it. I am not going to stop taking it but will be mixing the contents of the capsule in water and drinking half of it. I'll see how that works. I don't want to waste it. I never had this symptom when I was taking the 1200mg. I am wondering if I could mix it in my tea at night. Or I could mix it in my water bottle like I did before and then use that water to make my tea. I'll figure something out.

Trish you have a longer walk to get the mail. My son had that for a while, too. Ours is delivered to our mailbox at the end of our driveway, and our driveway is about 2.5 car lengths long. It's not a problem in good weather but I'm so afraid of falling on snow/ice especially after DH fell. We don't need both of us to have broken hips.

You are doing great with your FBS and weight Trish. Even being up a lb or two here and there is not an issue since you are still down from where you were over the holidays. I'm getting a little better with my eating. I plan on having a big salad for dinner, with a bit of ham and swiss cheese in it. I hope my lettuce is still good. It spoils so fast since I don't eat it every day. I had scrambled eggs and 35 calorie toast for breakfast/brunch, since it was around noon when I ate it. I don't pay a lot of attention to my eating window but it will be smaller since I ate later this morning.

So we are just sitting here waiting for the snow to start. They said around 4PM, but that was for Pittsburgh and we are a bit south of Pittsburgh where they are expecting more snow the farther south you go. I will wait to ssee if anyone clears our snow for us. DH thinks the neighbors will do it. I think they won't. If they don't, we will ask my SIL to do it, and if he doesn't do it, I just might end up calling the company up the street. DH would not allow me to contract with them but if we need it done, we need it done. Maybe we will only get an inch or so and it won't need done.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #227  

What a night! We did end up getting around 2 inches of soft fluffy snow. It started very lightly around 4PM and got heavier in the evening. Around 8PM our power flickered, but stayed on. We turned on the police scanner and there were accidents everywhere. I guess it was Saturday night and people didn't want to change their plans to go out. We went to bed at 10, and the power went out again at midnight and stayed out. All I could think of was those people who get stranded for days with no power. It came back on in about 20 minutes. We fell asleep, and at 4:30 it went out again. After an hour I was going to call the electric company but then it came back on and is still on. I hope that's the end of it. I wonder how the others did who were supposed to get 5-8 inches.

I'm so glad we had power this morning to make coffee. It tastes really good. I feel so selfish thinking that way when I'm sure others are without heat.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #228  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Weight 153, I didn't fast yesterday, so no surprise. I will have supper tonight, which will be 24 hrs of fasting.
For a place that should get snow fairly regularly, it seems odd that there was such a reaction to a weekend snow storm. Glad you are safe and warm Carol.
Trish, I hope you have a good day at church, do you see your daddy on Sundays too?

Need a good walk today, back is stiff. TTFN
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #229  

Mad, I think the accidents were due to it being the first measurable snowfall of the season. People seem to forget how to drive in snow over the warmer months and it seems the roads are the worst when it first starts to snow. I have always been one to stay home if I can. DH will drive in anything, but mostly he does it after the snow stops and the roads have been treated. Rarely at night. There just isn't anywhere that we have to be.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #230  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Very pleased to have lost one pound so far this year. I weigh everyday but only count Sundays as the "official" number. If I maintain the drop for two official weigh ins, I consider it a loss. For the last few breakfasts, I have been eating oatmeal. It's funny because I haven't eaten oatmeal in years. It has been tasty on these cold mornings.

Aside from eating a little better, I have not been doing much more to get healthier. I have a lot I want to do but I struggle with fatigue. Mad- I know you asked about sleep apnea as did my doctor. I should get tested for it to rule it out. I did call the sleep study place multiple times to set it up but they never called me back. This was very frustrating to me because for whatever reason I find making these types of calls hard. It seems unlikely to me that I have it. My husband reports I don't snore nor seem to struggle to breathe when I am asleep. In general, once I fall asleep I stay asleep. My husband has it and needs to be treated. However, he won't take the steps needed.

Yesterday was a big day for my GS troop and they did their activity for their Silver award. We are finally getting the tree down today. I am also hoping to purchase the utility sink we are going to have installed. My daughter has turned into quite the little painter. However, she is using our basement bathroom to clean up and has left bits of paint everywhere. I would be less annoyed if it were before we had the bathroom remodeled. I have left it alone though because I am really happy she has found this outlet. She said it helps her get rid of stress. Not to mention it keeps her off of her electronic devices.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Last edited by Pipsicle; 01-13-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #231  

Two days without taking the Tart Cherry Extract and still no UTI symptoms, so I do believe the culprit has been named. I will start drinking half a capsule in water and see what happens.

Today I took a pain pill for my leg pains. I don't know why I'm getting them, but it could be the statin. I've been on this statin for years though without a problem, so I don't know. The pain meds helped but I don't want to take it every day because I only have 40 left. I will take it on days that I have a lot to do and the pain is the worst. Most of the time it's just an ache.

SIL came over and cleared our snow. He did a very good job. We paid him which he reluctantly accepted, but we would rather give the money to him than to a stranger.

I put a pot roast in the slow cooker and I think it's done. I will put it on warm until it's time for us to eat, as I want to make some mashed potatoes and a veggie to go with it. I have done much better with food today. I ate my scrambled eggs with 1 slice of 35 cal bread and will not eat again until dinner. Then I hope to not eat until tomorrow and get back on plan.

Pipsicle, I'm so glad that your daughter has found an activity that interests her. That's so important with young people.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #232  

Either my pot roast was really good or I was really hungry. It was a sirloin tip roast and I cooked it in the slow cooker with sliced onion and a can of mushroom soup. I made mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables with it. This was the first actual meal I've cooked since DH has been home. It was a good meal for a cold snowy day.

I felt really good without the leg pain. Too bad Tylenol Arthritis doesn't work that well.

Good day, today.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #233  
Madeleine

I am still at 153, and have been eating all weekend. I had 24 hours of fasting from Saturday night to Sunday at supper. So I am starting from there this week. I would like to be near 140 when I go to Germany to see my older DD. She will be there for several months now. My sister also has a conference there end of March, so we will go together to visit DD, sort of like when I went to Portugal with my sister and saw DD during her conference, except this time sister will also see DD for a bit. We started to set up for the trip last night when I was visiting sister. She has given me a box with several copies of the DVDs for relatives in Quebec when DH and I go next week. Just over a week from now we will leave for our little ski/see my Quebecois family holiday.
So back to the goal, 148 first, by end of January lets say. And waist to 33 inches, I am currently 33.5
I will also plan a walk today.
I get to pick up my "new" car this evening I think. DH offered to pick it up since I have a long work day, but I refused, I want the joy of it myself.
Pipsicle, thanks for checking in, and congrats on the loss. What kind of oatmeal are you having? I like to cook mine in milk or soy milk and prefer steel cut, although rolled oats will do and are more versatile as they can also be used in baking. The steel cut usually take me about 45 minutes to cook as well, so I make a larger batch and portion it out before I start eating, then I can freeze it or refrigerate it for the next time. No one else here usually will have it. But its so yummy and good for us. Do you add some fruit? I managed to get away from raisins eventually, and now use frozen raspberries, strawberries or peaches canned in water. I sometimes add high fat plain yogurt instead of extra milk or cream after cooking too. Perhaps I will have some later this week.
Your DD having an artistic outlet for herself is great. I hope you get that utility sink so she has a more appropriate place for clean up though. Art is messy. I didn't have much patience for it with my own kids, so I "sent" them for lessons outside of the house. It was usually an outdoor activity in good weather. My younger DD is an artists as well, but seems to manage to stay tidy now as an adult.
It is time for me to fast again, which I will start again now. So much easier during the week when busy, so today is a perfect time.
Carol: so glad the symptoms are gone, I hope you can find the right dosage and balance so you sleep well but don't have UTI symptoms. And hope the leg pain stays away.
I am having a bit of low back pain/stiffness. I need to walk more and do more stretches. DH rubbed some "livrelief" on it yesterday and it worked well too. I have not taken pain meds of any kind for a bit. DH was looking for tylenol the other day and we couldn't find any and he had to go buy some. (he almost never takes it, uses ibuprofen instead. I of course can't have that and only use tylenol). I finally found the tylenol in a bag from my meeting in December. So I hadn't used it in a month. Not at all over the holidays. I don't keep track but I know I don't use it often, because of my concerns about its impact on my liver. But its nice to know I had not needed it.
I hope if you are having pain there is something that helps. I am sure you have not been exercising the same way lately, with how busy you have been, and focused on helping DH as needed. Slowly, you will get back to the good routine, and keep some of the good routine you started. I think its great you really enjoyed your potroast. Its a good meal, and nothing bad in that.
Trish, hope you had a nice Sunday and got to services that you so enjoy. That spiritual side can give you a good boost.
Have a lovely day everyone.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #234  

Wt 182 FBG 124 .I'm surprised that my weight held but I didn't eat anything last night. My dinner kept me satisfied.

Didn't hear from Trish yesterday. Hope all is well for her and her family. I even worry about her with her feeling so tired lately.

I got a lot of sleep last night. Woke up a lot but was able to fall back to sleep. Almost 9 when I finally got up.

Today I have to clean up a bit and go to the store. My left leg already hurts but I will take Tylenol before it gets bad.

Mad although it's true I have not been exercising I have been much more active since DH's fall. In fact the leg pain started with all the walking in the hospital and nursing home. In both cases his rlol was all the way at the end of a long hallway and the restrooms were all the way at the other end. And at home I was getting up constantly to help him until he improved enough that he can now get things for himself. I want to find some good exercises for strengthening my leg muscles without increasing the pain. I know that back leg lifts will strengthen my hamstrings which don't get much exercise. The pain is achy rather than sharp and in the muscles around the knee rather than in the knee itself.

Going to go make breakfast so I can take meds.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-14-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everybody,

Sorry yesterday was such a long day and I was so tired when we got home and got settled I just became a lurker here yesterday. But we did have a nice day. We did go to the church. I wasn't sure how I would feel and nervous about going to a different church in the same old building that my parents actually had a hand in building. All the people who went there back then are either dead or have either moved to other cities or states or go to other churches in town. I'm picky about where I go because I want to be sure I'm getting good scriptural teaching and not just "playing" church. I've been in some of those that were more like a social club which offered nothing spiritual at all. Sorry don't mean to be so critical. I believe a church should help you grow to be a better person. JMHO

They have changed the church up enough so that it doesn't look exactly the same, but it is still really nice. The pastor was out sick and I think the lady who ministered is the secretary. Got that just from some of the things she said although she didn't say that at all. The people were mostly around DH and my age although I suspect the pastor and his wife are younger although not a whole lot. Only knew one couple from years ago and I was thrilled that when we walked into the building they were the first people who greeted us. She got up as soon as she saw and came and hugged me and I introduced her to DH. Then her DH got up and headed towards me and I went to shake his hand and he said "I can't do that" and hugged me and I introduced him to DH. Almost everyone there are huggers and made us feel right at home. We met the pastor wife and she is very nice. I really enjoyed the fellowship, worship service and actually learned so really neat things from the lady who spoke. In fact, she is going to be teaching a class one a month on the Jewish festivals and kind of hit highlights of them with us and it is so amazingly awesome to see how these festivals point to Jesus and his ministry... some things that have happened already and things to come. Learned so many amazing things. I would love to be in FL with DIL in-laws sometime when they celebrate a Sader. (I probably miss spelled it) I always wished we had stayed a few days longer on one of our visits so we could have attended one with them years ago. I've been to one they held at Daddy's church years ago, but I think it would be so wonderful to take part in an actual Jewish one. Any way, we will go back next week for sure when the pastor is there. I love the worship and the music, DH doesn't like the music any where we go because no one sings the old songs so he said he would just play his Gaither music on in the car. LOL

I don't guess I ate as much as I thought I did yesterday. I felt like I ate all the time when I got home last night. I didn't track it on MFP because I didn't measure some of it and didn't know how to itemize it. Back on track this morning.

My weight this morning was back down 1lb and FBS was 149 which is amazing considering that I ate a McDonald CB with half med fries and then DH realized he had picked up little boxes of choc covered yogurt raisins instead of the plain raisins and I ate a little box of those. Then I bought some pretzel party snacks to eat with salads instead of cracker for a change and ended up eating gobs of those. Since I pigged out of those pretzel things, I didn't know how to count them was why I didn't log all my food yesterday. Oh well, I have not gained that much so far this week. I am up only 1 lb from Saturday's WI so I will get back to eating right today.

I've done my 20 min on the recumbent bike and had my oatmeal breakfast. I cook my old fashioned oats in the microwave with fruit or choice each day and I use water to cook for 3 minutes. I add a little 80 calorie container of NF Greek Yogurt to it with chia seeds and a little peanut butter and cut one slice of bacon into it. Yum yum good. I am going to have that most days for breakfast especially now that it is cold weather.

Carol Sue I ordered a dvd by someone named Jane Adams of exercises that are supposed to help seniors with balance and strength. I has been delivered to my mail box and I have to go get it. I may wait and get it when I head out to the Bible study group at my nieces house. It is a combo of Tai Chi, Yoga moves etc. It says you can pick and choose the moves that you need for you. I will start it tomorrow when I have more time.

fatmad I plan for at least the next 6 weeks to go see Daddy after church, but I will not be planning to do stores on Sunday any more. Stores are just so packed on the weekends. So will do better planning from now on. We had a good visit with Daddy and I will see him again on Friday after beauty shop. He seemed to be over the allergies and than God he didn't get whatever was going around a few weeks ago. I have no doubt that you will make it to 140 for sure before you go to Germany.

Pipscile Congratulations on the 1 lb gone. It is great that your DD can use art to let out some of her feelings. A great therapy for her as well as constructive.

Sorry this is so long. Y'all have a great Monday.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #236  

Trish, I am glad that you were busy. That's always a good thing, and glad that all is well.

I think everyone gets something different from different churches. I haven't gone for a long time and a big part of that is because of my cough. I know it is very annoying to others around me. And also, DH is very annoying in church. LOL The last time I went was for the baptism of my SIL's granddaughter and DH chose not to go. I was glad. My faith is inside me and is between God and I.

Somewhere on my PC I have a link to some exercises for the older crowd. I will have to look for it, or just google some leg exercises. My probably is, Rome wasn't built in a day, and I have trouble being consistent.

DH has started walking without either the walker or cane. He feels that some of the chest pain he's getting is caused by pressing down on the walker or cane. In the AM he walks perfect without either....no limp at all...but later on he starts to get some pain and the limp comes back. I think it's just a matter of time.

We got our first medical bill today, and they said that Insurance denied it. I called insurance and they have no record of the claim being submitted. They said they will contact the company and get the matter resolved. I hope this isn't previews of coming attractions.

I know what you mean about stores being crowded on weekends. This past week we were out and about on Friday and it was very crowded everywhere then, too. I find that if we shop during the week around 10AM there are no crowds and traffic is light. On weekends, all the people who work are out and about, and it also seems that many people go grocery shopping on Sunday after church. I also found out that Walmart stocks their grocery department through the week before 2PM. After 2PM or on weekends, they do not stock and there is not usually anyone around if you have a question. If a shelf it empty, you are just out of luck.

I went to the store today and forgot to buy baby carrots!!!!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #237  

We had pizza for dinner and my blood sugar spiked. It was over 200 at bedtime but since I had taken G I trusted it to work And it did. When I woke up at 4 am it was 112. I wish it would prevent the spike. I'm probably not taking it early enough. I should check to see how long it takes to start working. I couldn't find that info online.

I stopped and got my baby carrots when I picked up the pizza. Love my carrots! I also bought a bag of baby kale. The frozen just doesn't seem to work as well for me as the fresh. I can tell by the way my nails grow or not grow.

We are supposed to get several inches of snow on Saturday so I guess I'd better stock up on some things again. I'm ready for spring already.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #238  
Madeleine

I thought I had posted earlier, but apparently not. Woke up at 430 this am. Stayed in bed until 6, but up and reading since. I tried to stay quiet, in case I could get back to sleep maybe even on the couch, but no. So that seems to mean its wasted time. Its dark and cold, I have no interest in going for a walk then. Had some breakfast, and will take something for lunch today. Maybe salad and some of the konjac noodles with chicken and sauce. The konjac seems good, with all the fibre I seem to be staying regular with it, and makes me feel full. But I am really not exercising much. And I need to be in shape for skiing next week.
Glad everyone is doing well.
Carol: glimepiride usually works fairly quickly and its effects last for about 24 hours. I think that's why your doctor recommends taking it regularly so you get the lasting benefits. Some medications (like advil, which I know you are not currently taking) may make you use if faster, triggering low blood sugar as a result.
I don't want to be dispensing medical advice, and I know you let your doc know what you are doing with the meds,, so I am not suggesting making changes.
It does up your insulin secretion, so if you are not eating much, that too might cause low blood sugar. You have been doing so well with some IF and eating less in general and weight loss. I think in general what you are doing is working, and seems safe for you. Just keep communication open with your doctor. With the weight loss, likely all the need for meds is going down. I am in no hurry to get off the metformin, but will happily be not needing it. I won't go off until doc says to. (there is even some evidence it may be good even if not diabetic, like to older blood vessels!)
have a good day all
Old 01-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #239  

I will probably never stop Metformin with the benefits re cancer etc. My G is 2mg twice a day. That is too much with the way I'm eating right now. I think I know how to adjust it according to my BS readings and what I'm eating. I don't want to tell my Dr that I am taking less because I want to have it if I need it. I believe the medical profession wants diabetics to eat basically the same diet daily to match their med dosage. That's fine but not if you want to lose weight, practice IF, etc. I took my 2mg at 3pm and ate pizza at 4. At 10pm BS was still high. It dropped somewhere between then and 4. So I didn't feel that it worked right away.

I found a small bag of flour in the basement pantry that was chewed open and eaten by mice but nothing else was touched. Other flour, flax seeds, pb crackers all untouched. It may have happened when we caught those mice in the kitchen and they are now gone but we are going to set traps and see. I hope we don't catch anything. I don't need this right now.

Also the toilet got stopped up today. What next?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I really miss having snow here. We do get it, but not very often. I grew up wishing for it more than we saw it. LOL Poor Hubby when we moved to SC and had it the 1st time, I was like a little kid waking him to get him to come see it. No big deal for him since he grew up in it.

fatmad I always hated it when I stopped being able to take Metformin because of the cancer protection. I think it also curbed my appetite. I was never hungry when I took it.

Too much sodium yesterday from something so weight was up a bit, but FBS was 131. So all is good.

Enjoyed our Bible Study last night and loved seeing my nephews that I don't see often. One and his girl friend were coming in from work and the other was leaving. They all work at the McDonalds where DH and I go all the time over by Walmart. I'm glad they are there as I know they are working to get it more efficient. In fact, that is where they went to work and then walked off the job because no one was doing their job. The lady who runs it called and begged them to come back and help her get it straightened out. I understand they are trying to get better workers in these 2 out this way. The youngest boy is a Certified Manager for the company and evidently is good at pushing for an efficient crew.

I was kind of nervous about driving at night since I have only driven at night once since we moved back. I just don't usually go any where at night without DH. DS has problem with night vision and I'm older than her, but I was pleased to find that I have no problem driving at night at all.

Stayed up too late last night. I'm going to have a nap before I have to cook lunch.
Y'all have a good day
Closed Thread