Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #466  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

DH has 2 blockages in carotid arteries. One 90% and one 70%. The doctor gave him options. To do the carotid arteries and go home and come back for open heart surgery. Or do the 90% carotid artery and the open heart surgery tomorrow, although it is risky. DH chose that options. I respect his choice. He is just tired of laying around in the hospital and just wants this overwith, whatever the outcome.

I have positive feelings about this. Prayers are appreciated.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #467  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Of course we send our prayers and positive thoughts for all to go well tomorrow. My own DH had some testing a couple of years ago, and all was well. Its since then we have seen the visceral fat start. I am relieved he has lost a bit of that. As we get older these things can happen, sneaking up on us.
Let us know how everything goes, and I hope it goes well for you both. Hugs
Old 12-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #468  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I will definitely have your DH in my prayers for tomorrow. I've been in your situation with DH as well and it isn't easy for us to sit by and watch our DH go through these things so I am praying for you as well. Be sure and take good care of yourself.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #469  

FBS 139 Weight back down to 217.6.

(((((Carol Sue))))) Praying for a successful surgery for DH.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #470  
Madeleine

Carol Sue, we are sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and your DH today. Best wishes
Old 12-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #471  

DH's surgeries are done, unless something else happens. They were not able to bypass all 3 arteries. One had too much calcification. And they only did the 1 carotid artery that was 90% blocked. Not perfect, but so much better than he was. I hope he has a good recovery. It's going to be a long road with the hip surgery.

We got into see him an hour after they brought him out of surgery. He was still out cold, but he looked surprisingly well. His color was good. Hooked up to tons of tubes and bags, most of which they said will come off tonight. He will wake up from the anesthetic later this evening, but will probably still sleep a lot.

I didn't get much sleep last night and I am very tired.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #472  

Carol Sue I'm glad his surgery was done and his color is good. I too pray he will have a good recovery. I've heard the open heart surgery is painful too so it seems that with that and the hip surgery he is having more than his share of pain all at the same time which seems so unfair. I pray when he comes out that he will listen to and work with his doctors. He is getting good care and rest so you be sure and take good care of yourself too. I hope you can get some rest tonight.

Went to see Daddy and he confronted me about driving telling me DS had given his truck away. Strange thing is he gave his truck to one of his grandson himself. He actually went to the tags office and signed over, but I didn't say anything about that. I just told him that he can't drive. I told DS what he said so she called him and told him that we have no choice in the manner because the law would never allow him to drive the way he is. I felt sorry for her. Come to find out, he was also mad at baby sister and her DH too.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #473  
Madeleine

Carol: so glad things went well. They did the same with my Dad after his open heart surgery. They didn't allow him to fully wake up for about 12 hours after the surgery. He will be getting lots of pain meds, so he will be as painfree as possible now.
I hope you can get some rest now and have a good sleep. DO take care of yourself.
Trish: sorry your father is having difficulty accepting the changes in his life. At least he is angry with everyone.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #474  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Carol- Just want to say I hope your DH heals quickly and sending more thoughts and prayers your way.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:04 AM   #475  

Thank you for the prayers, Pipsicle. They are truly helping.

I called the hospital to see how he is doing and they said he is doing great. They took out the breathing tube. He is awake and talking coherently, all vital signs are good. Even the doctor is surprised at how well he is doing. He will be transferred to another room sometime today, Tuesday, to start his recovery, provided they have a room available. This hospital recently switched from semi private rooms to private rooms so sometimes there is a shortage.

I am just so tired and still having trouble sleeping. I have so much on my mind. I am used to DH taking charge and taking care of everything. I'm floundering.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but because they were operating on his neck, they had to shave off his beard. He was really upset about that, but he always kept it trimmed short and it will grow back quickly. He has had this for years, from before I started dating him, and only shaved it off once in the 70s, and only for a couple months. Actually, I don't really think he looks a lot different with or without it.

Trish, I am so sorry your Dad seems to be confused. It's possible that in a day or two he will be back to understanding the circumstances. I think he is mad at the situation, not you and your sisters. You are all in my prayers.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #476  
Madeleine

Carol: I think its perfectly reasonable for you to take something to help you relax. I use the herbal insomnia or relaxation combinations, usually valerian, passion flower, hops, skullcap etc. The are soothing, but don't make you incoherent with sleepiness. I too was overtired last night. A few nights of waking early. I am doing that again. The herbal combo didn't quite do it and I wound up taking 1/2 a benadryl. Then slept well, about 6 hours. 4-5 hours doesn't seem enough, but 6 seems ok. I will try to nap later maybe. You do the same if you are not sleeping well at night.
I go to get nails done today. We have the work Christmas party on Thursday. I am less enthused than I might be. Was going to buy a new dress, but will check my closet out again maybe before I do that. Fancy dresses are worn so rarely, it does seem wasteful to buy something that may be too big by next year.
Todays weight is 156 and waist seems to be definitely below 35 inches, back and forth between 34 and 34.5.
Yesterday I was wearing leggings part of the day. I had the nice slacks I bought in October in Ottawa on for a while. They are actually getting loose. It was indulgent to buy new ones, but its a store and brand I really like that's not available outside of Quebec, except Ottawa. But they are dressy and for going around the house, So I switched into the leggings. I bought them accidentally when I meant to buy tights. Anyhow, they looked good, and for the first time in a dog's age, I felt "skinny". They are stretchy so hold in any pouching, and on the side view I looked quite slim, and no muffin top. Some if its an illusion, naked I still have a good pot, but I definitely see a difference. I feel like even though the weight has not come down a lot, there are other changes happening. Lots of fasters report this, that they change shape, sometimes with no or minimal changes in weight. So its all good.
I am going to fast until a little bit before the party Thursday, if I can manage that long. Yesterday I had some fat to see me through, but today and tomorrow will be clear tea and water only, if things go well. I want some of that "autophagy" to get moving. I have some loose skin on my upper arms, and on this belly, and hope that will help. I need to motivate myself, Finding it hard to get off the couch. My sister and I are planning a day trip to the hometown on Saturday, to close out Dad's bank account, and check the headstone at the cemetery, see his lady friend and our aunt and uncle nearby. Maybe thats what's getting me down a little. I don't have nightmares or flashbacks any longer, the therapy seems to have helped that, but I still have an almost paralytic version of procrastination when it comes to getting through things about winding his affairs up, and that creeps into the rest of my life. I have my desk sitting open, but can't manage to do anything with what is on it. Well, maybe today.
Hello's to Trish and Pipsicle as well. and our lurkers, may you all have a good day today.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #477  

Carol Sue I am so glad DH is feeling so much better today and will be moved out of ICU to a room and start recovering Tuesday. I'm sorry you are unable to sleep. I never could sleep good when DH was in the hospital either. So I really do understand how you feel. I just like knowing he is in the house. I hope as DH progresses that you will be able to sleep. Maybe take a nap when you can during the day would help if you can't sleep at night. I need to take that advice myself. LOL

Daddy's mouse went out on his pc and DH found one we had hear that we don't use any more. It is still good, we both use the battery mouse with laptops so we went by there today to plug it in to Daddy's pc. We didn't see him because he told DS that he was in rehab, however, I went by rehab 1st and didn't see him. He either got there after we headed to his room or he was behind someone else because there were a lot of people in there. I left word with the nurse to tell him he has a working mouse now.

When DS talked to him last night he told her that he is pretty satisfied where he is. I think it is just wishful thinking and I am sure there are times that he thinks he can do things that he can't. I talked to him a few minutes today when he got back from Walmart and sounded fine.

Tummy is a little better. Still trying to baby it. I need to start taking a nap everyday because I end up staying up with DH and get up too early. I sleep very well when I sleep, but once I wake up, I find it difficult to go back to sleep when I know what all I want to do before DH gets up. I need to learn that on days I don't have to go anywhere that it really won't hurt me to sleep another hour. I could go back to sleep if I would; I just make myself get up so I need to change and start getting the sleep I need.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #478  

I finally fell asleep last night and slept until 8:30 so I felt fine today.DH had a very terrible day today. It made me feel good that he was shocked to see me. My SIL offered to take me and pick me up so I took her up on the offer. I will not ask, but if someone offers I will accept. Part of me wishes I could go every day, but this is going to be a very long haul. I need to pace myself.

He was OK when they first put him in a chair, but then they transferred him out of ICU and into a room on the heart floor. The nurses there put him in a chair but were forcing him to stand, when he says his leg with the broken hip hurts too much, and the other leg is too weak to stand on. The fact that he is not eating could be why he is weak, but I can't get him to eat much, except for his pudding. He was in terrible pain. He keeps saying he's going to die. Then he says he wants to die. Then he said he wants to just give up. It hurts me so bad to see him like this, and part of me wants to just not go to see him, but that's not the answer to this. He is my husband and I love him and I will be there to listen to his rants, even though it just starts me crying and is breaking my heart. I am just tied up in knots inside.

He has not called me this evening. I would love to hear that that means he's sleeping, but I'm afraid he is just in so much pain he doesn't want to talk to anyone., I just feel so bad for him, it's killing me. I just can't lose him. Please pray for him that he gets some relief from his terrible pain.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:17 AM   #479  

(((((Carol Sue))))) I am so very sorry. I feel your pain. I wish I could just reach through the pc and give you a great big hug. I will definitely pray that he will start getting some relief from the pain and want to get well. How old is your Hubby. I think you told us before, but I forgot. Daddy never would eat much of anything when he was in the hospital and would even ask us to eat some of it or throw it away because they wouldn't let him come home until he did especially when he was in pain.

Are they giving your DH pain meds? I'm surprised they aren't helping him more with the pain, but then I know they have clamped down on how much pain meds they give now, but I would think he should be given a little more right now unless there is some medical reason he can't have it. I pray he will get a good nights sleep and feel better tomorrow. I pray you can gets some sleep tonight yourself.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #480  

Wt 188 FBG 157 I think that is due to stress because it was much lower when I went to bed and I didn't eat anything. I'm not going to worry about it, as it is not dangerously high.

DH never did call me last night and I didn't call him for fear he would be sleeping and I would wake him. Maybe he couldn't reach his phone. I called the hosp this morning and they said he had a good night, just got a little pain med during the night, but did not get out of bed while this nurse was on duty which was after 7PM.

We're getting some snow this morning. It's not expected to be a lot, but if my DIL is hesitant to take me to the hospital I will understand. She normally drives in all types of weather but I don't want her to put herself at risk for this. If I don't go to the hospital, I will try calling him. He might have been mad at me because I was pressuring him to stand yesterday, but I did it out of love and concern for his future and well being. I think he felt that everyone was ganging up on him. The one nurse was pretty tough on him. I guess that's what he needed, but it just seemed very harsh and I hurt for him.

I have decided that I will no longer pressure him to try to stand/walk if he feels he can't do it. I know he does not want to be an invalid, but getting him up is the nurses' job, and my job is to be a loving supportive wife. For better, for worse, in sickness and in health. I am also trusting God to do what is best. It is in his hands. One good thing is I am not spending any money unnecessarily. I am going to need all the money I can get for upcoming medical bills.

My DH will be 76 this month. What a way to spend your birthday. Thank you for the prayers.
Closed Thread