Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:21 AM   #151  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Mad- Is that true what Dr. Fung would say re DP? If you thought you were seeing DP and it has gone away, would that mean your liver has gotten rid of excess stored glucose?

Also for those who have tried Berberine, what has been your experience (i.e. how did make you feel, take it early/late, with/without food)? I have a supplement I have been using that I think helps me but one of the ingredients could make a different (endo) problem I have worse.

Had a bit of a rough spot tonight. I slipped on the stairs and I'm pretty sure I partially dislocated my shoulder. It is definitely back in place but a bit sore. I am off to ice it before bed. Other than that it was a great day.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Pipsicle, I hope your shoulder is OK and you don't have any other repercussions from your fall. I am very afraid of falling on our stairs, especially going down the stairs. And when I come home from somewhere, my dog is waiting for me at the top of the stairs, all excited. I am afraid he is going to try to jump toward me and push me down, backwards.

Trish (Pattygirl) takes Berberine and should be able to answer your question about it.

Mad, I am not free to plan fasting the way you do. You said that you and DH are less connected food wise than I am with my DH, so any fasting I do will probably be accidental, so if I can, good. Yesterday I had breakfast around 8-9 and dinner around 3-4 and nothing since. DH made a deli turkey sandwich in the evening and I went to bed so I wouldn't be tempted. I will be having eggs soon, but that is still at least 16 hours between meals. It just happened to work out that way.

My weight is still at 194 this morning, so yesterday's eating after the fasting day did not have an adverse effect on the scale. On the JUDDD forum they say NOT to weigh after an up day because the uptick can be discouraging.

I have read Dr Fung's beliefs about the DP and there is contraversy regarding his statement. Any time your blood sugar is high it is causing irrepairable damage. So even though he gives a plausable reason for it, it should still be addressed. It makes me wonder if non-diabetics experience DP to a degree, also, and if not, why.

Trish, I seem to have been in Diet Mode since my 20s when I first gained a few pounds and dieted it off again. I rarely went out to eat at night, after an evening of dancing or on a date. The only exception was after I married DH and I gave in and started eating like he does. And my Diet Mode was almost always low carb, but also IF before anyone knew what it was. When I had my first apartment, I used to fast every Saturday and Sunday. I never told anyone that I fasted because I thought I was doing damage to my body. Now I learn that I was making myself healthier. LOL Who knew? I did water fasts when I was home all day because at work I could not be running to the bathroom every 15 minutes.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-16-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Pipsicle Yes, I take Berberine. I heard about it on tv as an ad by a doctor I used to follow on TBN years ago. He had excellent suppliments etc. which my Daddy, his aunt and I took. I learned about him when I was first diagnosed diabetic because my DS saw his book on Reversing Diabetes. I never followed his diet at the time because my doctor at the time had told me they had just learned that we eat too much fat. This was when everyone was doing the low fat diets and Richard Simmons was popular and my MIL at the time bought his program for me and I followed his diet and exercise. Any way, I saw Dr. Whitaker's ad and since I haven't been able to use Metformin for quite a number of years now, I trusted him enough to try the berberine. I read his book on low carbing which was much different from what he taught years ago.

I also researched Berberine reading all the reviews on Amazon.com and I also was reading a lot on a diabetic website and noticed that many of them who also couldn't take Metformin any more said that their doctors were putting them on Berberine. So I started taking it. It actually works. I stopped taking it for a month or so because I didn't think it was and my FBS shot way up so I got right back on it. If you go on Amazon and read some of the reviews, you will see people take it different ways. Dr. Whitaker suggested in his book to take it with a cup of coffee before exercise. Many people take just 2 pills a day with meals. I saw one person took 1 before a meal and 1 after. Not sure why but I guess it works that way for her. Some take 3. I take 1 before each meal. I also take a Blood Sugar support pill I learned about from a doctor in Austin, TX. I didn't buy her product because it was too expensive. I found a less expensive one at Amazon. Now that I'm doing CAD with 2 MAD at 3 and 8 pm, I take 1 Berberine in the morning with my first cup of coffee to get me going and I actually found for me that it lowers my bs some from what my FBS is. I don't know that works for all but does for me. He also says to take it while fasting in the morning and go as long as you can fasting before eating. That works great for me because I usually exercise while fasting which he recommends. Now that I fast till 3pm I figure I'm getting good out of it because I am busy during my fast whether formal exercise or just working around the house. I then take another one 20 minutes before I eat at 3 with my bs support pill and 1 20 minutes before 8pm meal with the other bs support pill as they are supposed to be taken 20 minutes before I eat.

I feel safe using the Berberine because there are doctors using it with diabetics. I have no side effects from it, but I think I read that you can although it should settle down. I am not on that site any more so don't know how it may affect others I only know my own. I couldn't take Metformin because it caused me potty issues. I couldn't go any where without worrying about having to run to the rest room and I finally told my doctor that I am not living that way. I like going places and even at almost 75, I am not ready to be homebound.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited to say: DH took berberine and it didn't do a thing for him so he quit it. So you will have to just see how it does you. Hope this helps. Also if you have a health problem that it might cause a problem for, research it online and see if there is any info on it. There is a world of info out there for us if we just google it. Carol Sue and I spend a lot of time reading and learning all we can from info online as well as books we purchase. As my original doc told me when he diagnosed me "This the diabetic diet and info I am recommended to give you, but you will figure out on your own what to do". He was right. The internet has made a world of difference my journey of learning to control my bs.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-16-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #154  

Mad I thought of you yesterday that you said about fasting giving you more time for other thing. What wonderful experience of getting up and not having to think about food today. Makes me wonder why I ever stopped doing this.
I'm going to end up with a longer fast today if we go out to see Daddy and then go to Walmart to get meds and a few groceries. I feel so much better and I slept so good.

Carol Sue You would think that I would have figured out years ago how I should have been eating to keep myself thin. I have always lost weight and kept it off when I ate this way. I just don't understand what I was thinking. I think we just got so brainwashed. I could eat anything I wanted.

I remember my DS and I double dated one time and these guys took us out to this fancy restaurant. She fussed at me and told me to get what I wanted cause they could pay for it. I guess she thought I didn't want to let my date spend a lot of money, but I just wasn't hungry. I don't remember if I even ordered a meal or not. I remember one time Daddy and Mama were going out, so Mama let me cook dinner for us girls. I mean I cooked a great southern fried chicken dinner for us which was my favorite meal, but when I got through cooking, it didn't look good to me and I didn't eat any of it. It was so easy to turn down food back then because I genuinely never dieted, I just didn't eat if I wasn't hungry. I was following IE/IF naturally before they had names. LOL Like you I didn't know I was eating healthy because everyone said it was unhealthy. The only thing I probably needed to change back then was drink more water. I didn't drink a lot of water because I don't guess any one told us to.

Well, this way of eating is so natural to me that my FBS was 137 and I dropped 3 lbs over night back down to 222. Of course that is just the water gain I've had lately because my weight was back up to 225 yesterday morning, but the fact that it came down that fast and the FBS came down too is a real plus for me as it doesn't usually work that way. I realized this morning when I wrote DH DD that the way I'm eating now is the way I ate when I married her Dad and moved to FL. When we traveled we ate breakfast around 10 or 10:30 and had a meal around 3 or 4. Where you found a restaurant had a lot to do with how far apart meals were and my bs was in remission then and stayed that way for years until I got back on a diet years later in SC and added the breakfast. OMG Following the rules again actually raised the bs.

I looked at DH diabetic record sheet this morning and his FBS was 131 yesterday. His is better than mine. I'm so very proud of him. The only diet thing he does is that he makes his strawberries with Splenda for his strawberry shortcake he eats once a day and I buy Lite cool whip for him to put on top of it. I think adding the cereal as a small snack/meal probably has enough fiber to make a difference too although it is the only place he actually gets sugar. He is doing great.

As for he discussion on DP, I do think my having the eggs and bacon at night is going to help lower that. I have it early enough for it to be out of my system by the time I go to bed. I read on CAD group yesterday where they were discussing how the carbs you had at the last meal has a lot to do with what how much of an insulin surge/release you will get when you eat your next meal. I remember reading some where not sure where that if you have a high carb meal the night before that your FBS reading will be higher. I'm thinking that might be true. I don't remember if that was in the Phinney book or the book by the doctor in Austin. That is why I think having my CM/low carb breakfast in the evening will help me have a lower FBS reading in the morning. That meal seems to be a buffer so that my carbs at my RM earlier in the day doesn't affect my FBS in the morning. That is my hypothesis and since this is the way I'm eating now, it won't take long to see if I'm right.

Y'all have a magnificient Monday.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #155  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Yes, Dr. Fung's ideas about hyper-insulin and high glucose are very controversial and I am still getting my head around it. But this idea is that we have all this stored glucose from excess insulin. And more insulin doesn't help us in the long run, we just wind up storing more glucose until we can't anymore.
Fung would say it has to get out. That Dawn Phenomenon is the body's way to get some of it out. Its why he recommends fasting, we can use up stored glucose that way.
My fasting is a bit high right now at 5.8, (105) more than 36 hours since my last meal. (yes I know that is low for many, but I am usually under 100 or 5.5) And yes I am checking in the middle of the night because I have insomnia, but low sugars (or very high sugars) do not seem to be an issue with my insomnia.
Fung would say I am getting rid of the stored glucose with that slightly high fasting glucose. Yes we worry that high glucose causes damage, but it may be temporarily high, but as we get rid of it, we are less prone to highs later.
While the ideas are radical, the big food for thought is this:
If everything we know about pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes is right, and our treatments are right, why are they not working? If calorie theory for weight loss is right, why isn't it working. These things may work for a few people, but truly, how many people do you know who lost weight with low calorie diets, who have kept it off for a year or more? If it worked, we would see it all around us. If treatments for diabetes were working, we would not be seeing people getting worse with time. The few people I know who got better for a while, all regained their weight and ended up treating for diabetes. Its one of the reasons I opted to go on Metformin early on while still prediabetic. I figured I was going to get there eventually, and wanted the protective factors for my kidneys and blood vessels.
Dr. Fung methods seem to have helped people lose enough weight and stored glucose to get off meds after years of diabetes, some on insulin. I am becoming a reluctant believer. I am not sure I am just drinking the Fung kool-aid, and being on the support pages is just hanging out with fanatics too, and its blinding me to problem issues. But my weight is below 170 and staying there for the first time in ages. Other times, no matter how determined I felt, I could not sustain my losses, and weight loss stopped fairly quickly. I have been fighting a losing battle against getting heavier and heavier.
So for now, I am going to keep going with the IF and EF and being low carb high fat whenever I can in there, and see where it gets me.

I
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Fatmad: I’m a lurker lol. I’ve lost 135+ lbs with VLC but the last couple months I’ve been starving (not mental hunger, bored, etc but almost painful gnawing hunger) and I switched over to keto 2 1/2 weeks ago! Loving it! I want to get ~ 5 more lbs off and use keto as my maintenance WOE. I’ve been reading about your fasting and the benefits you’ve been experiencing - very happy for you! I’m actually doing my 1st 36 hour fast on Wednesday night into Friday morning (1st ever fast at all actually! Lol)

So please continue posting - I love hearing your input!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #157  

Dr appointment went OK. Not great. I am not happy that I didn't make a list of questions like I did when I went to the cardiologist, so I forgot to ask about the possibility of Diabetic Neuropathy. I think since my pain level has been good I forgot about it. I told him about all the various locations I've had pain and he got a puzzled look. When I mentioned the supplements I've been taking he just made a note of them and said he's glad they are helping. It was funny because after I left there my knee really started hurting, so if that doesn't clear up I will call and request an xray. I think I can do that since I was recently in for an appointment. I asked him to change my prescriptions to Walmart and he said he would, so I will see if I hear from them. It's just my diabetic meds. I get the rest from mail order, no copay, but I don't want my diabetic meds from mail order. I got something from my insurance that made me believe that Target is not on their network and that's why I have a small copay there, but Walmart is in network and I should not get a copay. So I'll see if that's true. We are in Walmart a couple times a week so it's more convenient than Target.

He gave me a script for some bloodwork before my next appointment in Nov but he forgot the CBC, so I will call shortly before that and get a script for that. I don't know if he made the mistake or if it was the woman in his office who made up the script.

Otherwise, I'm glad it's overwith for now, and next month I go to see the cardiologist, but I like those appointments. I love my cardiologist. He assured me he's not going anywhere, but if he would leave the practice I would too.

Mad, I think Dr Fung is pretty well on point. He originally worked with people with Kidney Disease and a lot of them were diabetics. He used to do the conventional treatment until he realized that it didn't make sense and wasn't working and finally figured out what did work. He realized that it didn't make sense to inject insulin in a patient who already had too much insulin. He also realizes that one size does not fit all and varies the treatment for different patients, such as longer or shorter fasts. I think it's great that he has the information out there on his blog to be shared by all, free of charge. To me, that indicates someone who truly wants to help people, not just line his pockets. But there are some other doctors who do not agree with him 100% and have different viewpoints. I like to read their information, too. I am working toward putting together something that works for me and fits into my lifestyle.

My biggest problem is, and always has been eating too much....eating when not hungry, even when I did low carb. Many say that there is no hunger with low carb, but for me, hunger was never a problem. I ate because the food was there, not because I was hungry. Yesterday, after the doctor appointment and then doing some shopping I got very very hungry. I'm beginning to see what hunger really feels like and the difference when I'm eating just because it's time to eat or because DH wants to eat. And I'm finding that so many foods that were favorites before no longer appeal to me. Yesterday we went out and I got the soup and salad bar. DH got a Philly Steak and Cheese with fries and it just looked like "heartburn ready to happen." LOL

Yesterday's window was closer to 9 hours than 8 but I'm ok with that because I didn't eat after 6PM. I am letting it happen naturally rather than trying to plan ahead. I am fitting in the fasting periods where it's convenient. That's what works for me.

I think a lot of people you encounter on FB groups are interested mainly in weight loss. They don't all have other things to be concerned about like diabetes, heart disease, etc. I realize that weight loss helps with so many other health issues, but it is not my sole concern.

Trish, yesterday when I was in Walmart I picked up a package of lower sodium bacon. DH came along with a package of regular that he liked because it had more dark and less fat. LOL Whatever. It was a different brand and maybe it will be less salty than the Sugardale was. He said to get both, but I don't want to have his and hers bacon. I tend to go along with what he wants in some things, and this is going to be one of them. We will see how it goes.

EDIT: DH just cooked some bacon and I tried it and I have to admit it is very tasty. It is Oscar Mayer and is not quite as salty as the Sugardale. You're not going to get bacon that doesn't taste salty at all. DH loves salt so it's great for him, but I don't even like most potato chips because of the salt. My favorite potato chips and pretzels are "no salt" but no one else will eat them. LOL I think rinsing and blotting the bacon before cooking could remove some of the salt, too. "My bacon has a first name, it's OSCAR, my bacon has a second name it's MAYER." Who is as old as me and can remember that commercial?. LOL

Hi IdealProteinNewbie! Thanks for stopping by. I love when we get visitors. I know that a lot of people read our thread but don't post because the number of views is so much higher than the number of posts. But I especially like when they stop and comment once in a while.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-17-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #158  
Madeleine

awake now, BS 5.4 Not sure if that is because I took valerian and a half Gravol to get back to sleep. Slept great with that though, but I suspect there are a few carbs in it that might affect my numbers. In theory I can eat anytime, but I want to keep my eating window to 6 hours or so and will wait until noon or 1 pm. Not terribly hungry. The 2nd day is easier for me for some reason. I checked my sleep diary, and sure enough, insomnia on the 2nd night of my other extended fasts too. Others in the chats say this is common, and I am not thrilled, I have enough insomnia as it is. I have been doing a yoga nidra meditation with earphones at bedtime, and was very successful with sleep the last week, and not so last night. Disappointing.
IdealProtein, I hope you find this as useful as I did. Yes, I feel hungry at times, but thats reasonable with fasting. You might think about joining the IDM groups for information and support. If you google IDM or Intensive Dietary Management (Dr. Fung's site) that will get you there. Some, but not all are a little Keto crazy, like nothing else is good, but not everyone does it. But if you are used to it, should be fine. So far I have only done 42 hours, this is my third time. I am supposed to eat today and start again tomorrow, but I am rethinking that because of the insomnia, I want to sleep well on Wednesday night because we are going away to stay with friends for a couple of days on Thursday, and I want to enjoy that and not be too tired to enjoy myself.
I want to be able to be social and fun with this WOE, especially since I can't do wheat anymore.
Carol, I'm sorry that things are not so good with your family doctor. Did he recommend anything to help with the foot pain? I really hope you can make things better for yourself. Trish, have a good day and enjoy your IF. Yes, not thinking of food all the time is very freeing. I asked DH what he wanted for supper tonight since I will be eating, and we will have homemade burgers. That I can have with no buns, and eat with fork and knife. and nice salad to round it out, with avocados for extra fat.
Have a good day all.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #159  

IdealProteinNewbie Thanks for dropping in. We do like hearing from lurkers. I think you will enjoy reading Dr. Fung. He has so much info and I trust him because of him having taken care of so many patients with kidney problems especially those who were diabetes. I appreciate his honesty of when he realized that something had to be changed because his patients were getting worse not better and took the time to figure out how to help us get our diabetes under control. He calls it Reversing Diabetes which many says can't be cured, but I don't care what you call it as long as it works.

Carol Sue Sounds like your appointment went fairly well. Sorry you didn't make a list and also sorry the knee started hurting when you left. I pray it goes away quickly. Sorry he had no answers about the pains in different areas. I have been getting some weird pain in strange places since I've been fasting, but they don't last. They seem to be there for a few seconds and leave and never come back. DH calls them phantom pains. I hope it just means that my fasting is beginning to change some things for the better. Our bodies are so complicated that even doctors still don't have answers for everything.

fatmad I always love how you understand a lot of the medical workings well enough to explain it so I can understand it better. Your medical understanding is such a blessing to me. I really missed that a lot when you left us for a while and didn't post. Thanks for always sharing what you learn for us because it is so helpful when I am able understand what we are doing to our bodies good and bad so we can make better choices.

I absolutely love the way my new way of eating is working for me. Who knew that just by switching breakfast to evening was the key. I am also using the Leptin Reset rules along with my IF and CAD plan. We ate so late yesterday because of going to Walmart after leaving Daddy that I had a 3 1/2 hr eating window. My fast by the time I eat today will be more of a 18 hrs. But I can live with that. I actually lost another 1.8 lb today and FBS was 138. That is so much better than it has been and no FBS and weight loss at the same time is wonderful. So I am pleased with my progress.

Have a great day.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #160  

Sounds like we are all doing well, making the needed adjustments. I haven't eaten since 1PM and don't plan on it. I am not extremely hungry but I could eat something. I will probably go to bed early to prevent eating. DH made hamburgers for himself for dinner. There's half of one sitting here but he can feed it to the dog. I am being strong today. Tomorrow might be a different story. I find it is easier for me to eat in the AM and fast in the PM as opposed to how the two of you are doing it. It was what worked for me so well before, too.

I am not actually having any other pain in my feet or anywhere else except the knee right now. My PCP's answer to the foot pain is to go to a foot doctor and I chose not to do that. The supplements are taking care of most all the pain right now except the knee. I think I know what the knee pain is. I googled "pain when I bend my knee" and an answer popped right up. (If I walk stiff legged there is no pain, only when I bend the knee.) It is Prepatellar bursitis and causes pain on the outerside of the knee, which is where my pain is. Treatment is rest, ice, heat and these things all helped today. If it continues, I will call the doctor. It will probably go away in a few days with rest. If it continues treatment could include drawing out the fluid and/or surgery.

I think doctors sometimes have answers just by listening to what we tell them, but they depend more on test results, and I try to avoid going for tests. I don't blame the doctor for that. It's my way. I choose when to go for the tests and when to "wait and see" or check online for answers. I do notice a change in the way my doctor works since leaving the private practice and signing on to the hospital system. That's becoming the thing in our area. My cardiologist did the same thing. He told me they were told they would lose their hospital privileges if they did not join up. It would be very hard for me to change to a different doctor because they are all signing up with the hospital groups in order to keep their hospital privileges. I could only do it if I switched to another hospital, which is a consideration. Right now I'm staying put because of how much I like my cardiologist and the fact that he knows my heart history so well. He assured me he's staying put, but if he would leave, so would I. I feel that the hospital is pushing them to consider $$$ more than the patients needs. The hospital owns the lab where blood work is done, and also the facility where xrays and most other testing is done. The more tests the doctor sends you for, the more money the hospital makes. So I feel this is what caused the changes in my PCP.

Trish, DH gets pain in different places, too, some odd places. I guess it is also phantom pain. I will google that.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #161  

Carol Sue - I looked up phantom pain and it is when a person feels pain in a body part that isn't there. So I think DH calls his pain phantom because there isn't any explanation for where the pain is and he doesn't know what else to call it. He doubt he realized that it was an official medical problem. LOL

It is nice that we all have fallen into our own way of eating because I think we are learning a lifestyle rather than a diet. I know I saw something in the pantry that I usually would have snacked on. The thought quickly passed my brain, but I was thrilled that my automatic response was "I don't want to eat anything and ruin what I'm doing. I think the fact that it is my plan and that I know it is healthy for me to eat the way I is making it easier. I have now had 3 successful days and it feels so very good.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #162  

Trish, now I remember hearing that people have phantom pain in their foot after the foot has been amputated. So I don't know what it's called when pain appears in different places. DH calls it his "traveling pain" because it travels from place to place.

I did not eat anything last night at all. I had a cup of tea because I felt that I was getting a sore throat. I am still at 194, though. I thought for sure I would have a drop. Even if the cup of tea broke my fast, I still would have had calorie restriction not eating for that long. It has been 16 hours so far and I won't be eating for a few more hours. It will probably be 20 hours, although I am having black coffee now. I still think I should have lost something. It's very discouraging to go without food all that time and not lose. I have so much food in my refrigerator that I will be throwing out because of not eating like I normally do. My blood sugar was 114 this morning. That's the only bright side to this.

I read some more about my knee pain and there's a few other things it could be, but I don't think I actually injured it. I have not been active enough to injure it because of the foot pain I was having. Most people can sa they twisted their knee or fell. I didn't do either. I feel that as soon as I call to get an xray the pain will stop and mysteriously as it started. Maybe I should try that. I don't know how I will get down the steps to go out somewhere. It hurts terribly when I bend it, and I worry that I could be causing more damage by doing it. I tried the narcotic pain pills the doctor gave me and also Tylenol Arthritis. Neither one really helps. They relieve the pain a little bit, that's all.

So I don't have any good news today, all complaints. LOL Hope everyone else is doing better.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #163  
Madeleine

Carol Sue: if eating early and fasting in the pm works for you, enjoy. There is some evidence this may be even better for you. This is because of the breakfast phenomenon. People who eat breakfast are thought to do better on all diets, and it seems to be somewhat protective of heart disease. So it may be that you are naturally better with this way and your body is asking for that. I have considered trying it.
I had my two meals yesterday and am fasting again today, trying a weight loss challenge with the Fung facebook group. I am worried about insomnia. After someone else posted about not being able to sleep, I realized I had insomnia the other extended fasts. I hope I can sleep tonight. Had a great sleep last night. I may nap in the afternoon as well. Still feeling a bit jet lagged.....

Trish, in spite of those studies, if you are finding that mostly having 2 meals a day and they are later is the best thing for you, go for it. There is still lots of evidence that all forms for IF are healthy and work for people over the long run.

I think I have a mild cold virus. Have had a scratchy throat, and a bit of a stuffy nose alternating with running. At first I thought it was allergies, but now I think its a virus, it didn't respond to allergy meds. I wound up taking some tylenol in the night because the throat was keeping me awake, then I slept really well. How many carbs are in them you think?
FBS was 6.3 today, so still on the higher side. I have a lot of fatty liver, may take a bit to get that stuff out of me.
have a good day everyone
Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #164  

Carol Sue Yesterday Fatmad explained what Dr. Fung says about the DP being higher means that our liver is getting rid of the glucose. Right now my FBS is lower, but still bouncing. It really gives me peace of mind that since I know I'm doing what is right and eating less carbs to reset my leptin level as which will also help lower my blood sugar. I read something someone shared on our FB CAD group and thought of it when you wondered why you didn't have a weight loss today. It explains what is going on when the scale isn't moving. I don't know where this came from so can't say it is a quote from a certain research but it makes sense. So I will try to share in my words so it isn't an exact quote to stay within 3fc rules.

What is happening when you are doing everything correctly and not losing weight? As we start to lose fat, our f at cells start to fill up with water as a place that holds it while it wats for the cell to fill up with fat again. This makes sense to me because I told my DS recently that I thought my body was waiting to see if we were in a starvation mode so it wanted to hold on to the fat or if I was dieting and it was supposed to release it.
The quote went on to say that fat cells are stubborn and will hold on to that water for days, but when it realizes that no fat is coming that they will release the water causing the cells to collapse and we get a fat loss that finally shows up on the scale.

I've heard in the past that the lbs we have carried for a long time comes off slower, perhaps this is why. Learning all this is good for me, because I am not getting so upset with what is going on because I know CAD works for me when I do it like I am because it has worked before, but it was years ago. I often wondered why my FBS would go up sometimes when I first started fasting, but now I have the knowledge of what Dr. Fung says is going on and I trust him. Therefore, it makes me think that the liver is cleaning the extra glucose out.

I remember years ago when I first married DH that I usually ate 2 low carb meals most days, but once in a while, I would go out to eat and eat whatever I wanted. The amazing thing was that many times the very next day that the weight would just drop. So much makes more sense now and I now feel empowered to KOKO knowing that this is actually "normal" for me. In fact, I remember Rachel Heller's story that was in the original book, but not in the others, this is what she learned and how CAD came about. She had to fast all day which she didn't think she could do because a medical test was changed on her at the last minute. After the test, she stopped to eat at a restaurant and ate so much food that she just knew she would gain, but she was shocked when she lost weight rather than gained. She decided to try it again and ended up doing it for days and lost weight so much that she started helping others do the same.

I like the term "traveling pain", Carol Sue. I think that fits it very well. LOL I had a pain hit my right hip the other night. It didn't feel like it was serious because it wasn't in the joint or bone... just there. Since the body heals itself if given the chance and fasting gives it the chance to do that, I've decided that something good was happening. That is like my back ache I get. I'm doing more around the house with a lot of bending etc. I suddenly realized that since I'm moving around more that I'm probably using some muscles I haven't used in a while so it is probably a good thing not bad.

Fatmad I used to try to make myself get 8 hrs of sleep, but since fasting and eating like I am now, I find that I get sleepy when I need to go to bed and I get a really good restful nights sleep and I wake up ready to get up. I think as we learn to work with our bodies that all falls in place. Maybe you just haven't found that place yet and of course with you having to be on call from time to time and working all hours of the day, it may be more difficult for you. I hope you can find that place.

We go see Daddy today so my fast 20 hrs and my eating window will be 4 hrs.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-18-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #165  
Madeleine

Hi everyone: i wasn't able to do the second fast this week, and won't try to finish the challenge. I have a virus, like a mild cold, and that was too much stress for this body to handle. I had a light supper last night or cheese, gluten free crackers and tomato soup. Feeling a bit better this morning, although still some problems sleeping. That was more due to the cold than anything else I think.
We will be away for a couple of days, so don't worry that I don't check in.
I have been cooking a bit for this trip, we are staying with friends at a cottage 2 hours away, before they move across the country. We will see them about once or twice a year after this I think, but we will really miss them. Its the right move for them in their later years, to be near her daughters, as his daughter now lives on the other side of the world. But they will be in our area occasionally to see his mother, and we will go there. But its bittersweet. We lived in the same town when my kids were small, and their daughters babysat for us, and we got together almost weekly back then. Then life changes and you don't see each other quite so often but still regularly.
She is one who has also struggled with weight loss. Had a big loss of 50 pounds after a diabetes diagnosis and before her daughter's wedding, but had regained it all. I hope she will ask about my weight loss. I think its noticeable. I will just tell her the basics and about the book and let her explore it if she is interested.
I am so happy to be below 170 and seem to be staying here. I wanted to get to 160 before the end of the month, hence the push to do the fasting challenge this week, but my body is saying its not ready. Dr. Fung is fine with that and would not be pushy about it.
The worst of the heat broke, and the house cooled nicely. At least the nights are cool again, and the days will get hot again this weekend.
May you all have a great weekend

Closed Thread