Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I also have a problem when I bring food into the house that I should only be eating occasionally in small amounts. In fact, I have a problem cooking ahead with the intention of keeping food on hand to have as leftovers another day. Too many times I end up overeating it before it gets a chance to make it to another day. I usually need to make just what I'm going to be eating.

Not only were the steroids giving me ungodly high blood sugars that would not come down no matter what, but the foods they were giving me were not what I would eat with blood sugar control in mind. Sandwiches a couple times with big fluffy buns. I ate them because I was hungry since I was missing meals when I had to fast for tests. Before I left the hospital my blood sugar was in the mid 200s, way better than 400-500 but still too high. They gave me insulin, and all I ate was the scrambled eggs they gave me at breakfast, since that is my normal first meal of the day. They also gave me toast, cereal, home fries, milk and orange juice. That would not have been a good breakfast for me, but I did drink the milk. When I came home from the hospital my blood sugar remained in the 200s but I didn't take Glimiperide because they had given me the insulin and I'm not familiar with how insulin works and for how long and I didn't want a low. All I had for dinner last night was a salad I made at home with lettuce, olives, and a hard boiled egg. This morning my blood sugar is still in the 200s but I did take my full dose of Glimiperide so I will see if it finally comes down. If it doesn't, then I have to assume that the steroids are still having an effect, and I think that's it because I am still relatively pain free. It's too bad that steroids are not something I can take all the time as far as this pain is concerned. I'm definitely not eating anything that should be keeping blood sugar that high.

One bad thing about the new med they put me on is I definitely cannot use Ibprofen with it. They said Tylenol 325 for pain in the 1-3 level, but didn't recommend anything for worse pain. I will have to talk to my doctor about that if this foot and hand pain comes back. The feet are a little achy today but the hands feel great and are not swollen at all.

As far as the CHF that they told me I had, I think they did change their minds on that. On Monday night and Tuesday morning they had me on Lasix and told me I was going to be on it permanently. But they never gave it to me again and they told me that the reason I felt better was because they got "all that fluid off." But if that was the case, I believe I would have shown a loss on the scale, which I didn't really. My hands and feet aren't as puffy, though. But I'm glad I didn't end up with a script for Lasix. I am supposed to weigh myself daily and report any gain of 3 lbs in one day or 5 lbs in one week, but I'm still trying to lose more weight so I expect to see losses, not gains. I don't have much of an appetite.

I slept good last night but not for a lot of hours. Maybe 6, which is great compared to the hospital. DH is very tired also, from all the running around he was doing back and forth. My dog was upset that I didn't come home for a few days. Remember I told you that he is so attached to me, but only tolerates DH. If DH would try to pick him up he would run from him, but while I wasn't here he was allowing DH to pick him up and pet him, so he probably thought DH was all he had left. He was excited to see me back home, but last night he was still allowing DH to pick him up, which was good. Maybe he will continue to be more accepting of DH from now on. I could tell he wanted me to pick him up but I'm not allowed to lift more than 5 lbs for a while, so no picking up the dog. Maybe I can get DH to pick him up so he can sit by me a bit.

We had some snow and icy roads while I was in the hospital, but it got very warm yesterday, 70ish. Maybe I can sit outside for a while today if it doesn't rain. I'm ready for spring weather.

Today I have to make my follow up doctor appointments and get some bills paid. I have to call the CPAP doctors office. A stipulation of insurance paying for the new machine is that I am required to use it every night for at least 5 hours. I have to tell them I was in the hospital and see how that will effect my compliance. The information is transmitted to them via WIFI, or something like that so they know I didn't use it. With the old machine, they would call me periodically and I had to read off numbers from the machine, and that told them how much I was using it. I would think they would make allowances for hospitalization. I did have the option to take the machine to the hospital and use it there, but when I'm hospitalized, I just explain about the CPAP and they put me on oxygen for overnight.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #122  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am going with calorie counting for the short term, I am having small amounts of wheat and doing ok with it. Yesterday I had rice, in quite small servings for lunch and supper with other foods, but had a small bowl of cereal for a snack before bed. I was really hungry. And I don't want to get stopped up again.
Today, my FBS was 5.5 which is 99 in the US. Thats lower than it has been, and as we all know, a small snack in the evening can help that.
I was over 180 before the colonoscopy, and am 179 now, so I hope that is where things have settled after rehydrating and eating again, and I will lose from there.
I do kind of feel that carbs make me crave more of them, so will have to be careful.
I agree Carol, the veggies help. DH and I were eating the leftover chicken fried rice from Wednesday. He just chopped up and onion and stir fried the rice into it, and added one egg. When I did mine, I added a half a red pepper, a hand full of broccoli and a handful of snow peas, and 2 eggs. So the rice was a much smaller part of the meal for me than him. For supper, I had a half cup only of plain rice, because I made a curried chicken dish. I also had a smallish (for me) serving of that, and then a large salad.

Serving sizes are what get me, I can always eat more, and want to, even if I am "satisfied" and not hungry after the meal. I am still considering other ways to lose weight, but for now, will plug away at it like this.

I will hold off today, its a goodbye breakfast for a co-worker at 10, I will have that meal, and then wait for supper and have a two meal day.

Not sure how to reconcile IF in there. I was really hungry last evening. Carol you said you got out of the habit and it got easier over time to avoid eating anything in the evening. I may have to read more about IF.

Carol, I am glad you are ok and got treatment fast. DO keep some Aspirin on hand at home, (making sure its not expired!) in case anything else happens, they probably told you to chew two if you suspect its happening again. I am wondering if the foot pain is diabetic foot pain, since the steroids helped. Nerve pain does get better with that, but so does swelling. Be sure to follow up with that as well.
best wishes in your recovery. So disappointing when you have been doing so well losing weight. But you WILL get better again.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #123  

I am almost positive I posted. LOL We seem to have a post bandit.

My blood sugar went back up in the 300s. I know I should not have eaten that pancake. I have taken more Glimiperide but I am still well below the max allowed. It's now 250 and I will not be eating any more today. I had rotisserie chicken and green beans.

I called the PCP and set up my appointment for Wednesday. He does not seemed to be real concerned and seems to think it all has to do with the diabetes. So I'll see what results from the blood work. I probably won't be getting that done until Thursday because he will not give me the requests without seeing me in person. He does not seem to be in a hurry, so I won't worry as long as I feel ok.

My next door neighbor is a nurse. She works on an ambulance service and also does home health care. She just stopped over to see how I am doing. One of the other neighbors saw me going in the ambulance. Can't get away with anything anymore.

Mad, I am glad you are able to eat the small portions of carbs. That makes it easier to stay on plan when you don't have to restrict so much.

My fasting blood sugar dropped when I started eating a smaller dinner and no snacking at night. A bedtime snack has never really helped. We are all different. Some do well with the snack and some don't.

I'm getting tired. It will probably be an early night tonight.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #124  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Carol, that would scare me to see a blood sugar number like that on my meter. I hope it doesn't upset you that your neighbor is looking out for you- I think it's nice that they are concerned. But I'm sure that this reading is a blip. We all do it. I react to the stupidest things- I think I told you lentils sends my blood sugar way high? I feel like the more I do low carb/IF the more sensitive I am to carbs. I thought eventually my insulin sensitivity would improve, I hope it does sometime.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #125  

EagleRiverDee, the high blood sugar readings are due to the steroids they gave me in the hospital. I talked to my PCPs office today and they said it will take a while for the steroids to leave my system and the blood sugar to come back down. Didn't say how long "a while" is, but I just tested and I am at 192, so they are coming down. I expect to see them much better tomorrow, where they were before I went into the hospital.

I actually agree with you, that low carb causes us to be more carb sensitive. I think that's why the diabetes educators encourage us to keep small portions of carbs in each meal. I have seen several people on low carb forums say that same thing, even those just doing it for weight loss and not for blood sugar control.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-14-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #126  

I am happy to announce that my weight has hit a number I have not seen since about 2012. 194 lbs. The only thing I can say is I think I was still retaining a bit of fluid from the hospital and it released this morning. As soon as I got up and went to the bathroom I knew my weight was going to be down. Keep in mind, I don't recommend a heart attack as a weight-loss tool.

Last night our power went out around midnight. It was not wind or weather related, so something must have happened at the pole. All of our neighbors lights were out, but we could see lights on in the houses up on the hill behind us. So I had no CPAP until it came back on around 2 AM.

Our house was really warm last night. DH was complaining that it was too hot to sleep. I told him I complained all winter that I was freezing when he said he was comfortable. I got out a summer sleeveless nightgown to wear so I was fine. We have a ceiling fan in the bedroom but DH doesn't like to use it. So I don't know why we even have it. I use it sometimes before he comes to bed.

Unfortunately, my blood sugar is still in the 200 range. Today I am allowed to resume taking my Metformin, so maybe it will drop today. I sure hope so.

I'm hungry. I might go back to bed for a while because I didn't want to eat until DH gets up.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #127  
Madeleine

FBS this am is 6.1 with having a small evening snack, i was in the mid 5s.
So I will have to read more about IF.
I am definitely having some dawn effect. Higher FBS if I don't have the snack, dumping glucose overnight. does it improve with time and following IF for a while?
I have an appointment in May now for the next test, where they "challenge" my small intestine and do a CT scan at the same time to see how things move through the gut. This is the test the surgeon who does the colonoscopy recommended for follow up. I also liked that at the same time they booked the follow-up appointment for me to see her to discuss the result and make a plan for myself.
Having some discomfort again, but am stopped up. This again after adding gluten back into my diet. I have had a small amount of wheat on Wednesday (the cookies they gave me) and yesterday had toast with brunch. Perhaps so far just producing gas, and I haven't been eating high FODMAP foods other than the wheat, so that may be the issue, and just presenting differently.
The surgeon suggested finding a fibre supplement I found helpful, so thats on the list today.
Other than Wednesday, I have been getting my steps in everyday. I may go on the treadmill later if the forecast is right. Freezing rain today expected, with ice buildup of up to an inch. So far just a cold rain.
Did I miss something, is Trish away?

Best wishes for a good weekend everyone.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #128  

Mad, I don't see where Trish mentioned going away. It's not like her to miss a day here. Hopefully she is just busy and everything is OK.

I think whether to have the snack or not is individual and depends on how your body handles it. Do whatever works best for you. For me, my FBG went down considerably when I started eating a very light dinner and no snacks afterwards.

I hope they continue your testing and get to the bottom of the problem. I rarely have problems with constipation. I tend to lean toward the other direction. As time goes on I have fewer potty issues and they are not as severe.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

No I haven't gone any where. Reading a lot. In fact, I found this on a low carb site and thought y'all might find it interesting as I did. Long but well worth reading. In fact, I intend to go back and read some more.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/paleo-v...he-difference/

I'm having problems getting on MFP. Hope I can get it working again.

BBL
Old 04-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #130  

Trish, glad that you checked in. I have seen a lot of information about Virtahealth on one of the LC forums. Interesting. What do you think about the article? Although I agree that nutritional ketosis is a good WOE for health, I don't see myself ever doing it long term. I eat the forbidden foods from Keto, and also the forbidden foods from Paleo, not necessarily in large quantities. For example, I still eat dairy, but not nearly as much as I used to. I used to eat cheese almost daily, and milk often. Now it's rare, but I still eat it. I found the information about inflammation interesting, and it would probably help me with my pain levels, but still, I don't see myself going to that extent. Nothing is completely eliminated for me. Never say never, though.

I finally fell asleep for a couple hours this afternoon. When I got up, my blood sugar was 129. Yay! Finally back to where it was before the hospital. If that means the steroids are wearing off, it might also mean the pain is going to return. It might be because today I was able to resume the Metformin which I didn't take for 4 days. Today I'm starting to feel pretty much back to normal, but I do feel a little weak and could stand to have a good night's sleep tonight.

I hope you were able to get into MFP. I got in with no problem. I came out around 1160 cals. Today I had scrambled eggs, lunch was a chicken breast with mayo, dinner was a lettuce salad with tuna salad. I wonder if I'm going to gain some of my weight back now that I'm back to eating normal. I hope not.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Although I like a lot of keto/paleo meals and dishes, I can't see myself doing either one. I don't like cutting anything out of my food plan whether I ever eat it or not. So while I see the benefits, I don't see me doing it at this time. I can do low carb, but not that low. I guess that is why CAD works so well for me. I didn't get to read all of the article, but will go read the rest of it today. I know I'm not going to give up dairy and I also know I'm not going to eat high fat so that kind of takes care of it all for me. Counting calories and keeping the carbs low, probably is the best way for me.

We had a thunderstorm last night and although we didn't lose power, I wasn't able to get on MFP after. I finally ran a scan on my pc today and now I'm able to get on to log my food. Sad thing is that I do better planning the days meals in advance and I would have done better if I could have done that day. I have my calories high end at 1600 and my calories so far has come to just under 1500 calories. I'll have to try not to eat any more today. I had a steak planned but we were so late coming home from seeing Daddy and going to Walmart that I ended up throwing hamburgers together. I've also added 1 avocado a day into my eating plan which has really raised the calorie count for the day.

I did go on MFP and set up the ratio of protein, fat and carbs the article mentioned and 20% carbs is too low for me for today any way. I will see if I can do better tomorrow by planning in advance.

I'm glad you are feeling much better and that you FBS and weight is back down. My weight was up 3 lbs this week but I ate crazy. However, my FBS was lower so I think I need to tweak my plan. I will see if I can get the carbs down. Not sure if I'll make 20% but perhaps more of a 25%.

fatmad I know whatever you decide to do with your eating you will do fine. I hope the scan you are having done will give you the answers you need.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #132  

I am down another 1.5 lbs this morning, to 192.5. This same thing happened when I got home from the hospital in 2011. I dropped weight almost daily until I got down to 181, then it just reversed and came back on. Normally, I struggle for every pound, so it seemed it had something to do with having surgery. Whatever I lose this time, I hope I can keep it off.

Trish, it was not my FBG that was low yesterday. That was still in the 200s. It was before dinner that I tested at 129. Then when I went to bed it was 216. It was 189 in the middle of the night and fasting is 145 right now. So, getting back to normal. By the time I go to the doctor on Wednesday it should be good.

I can tell the steroids are wearing off because my psoriasis is getting itchy again. I had to get up in the middle of the night and put some ointment on it because it was itching so badly. I had bought a new ointment to try a week or so ago and it did work well. When I take my shower, it sloughs off the dry flakes and feels better, but I didn't take a shower yesterday. I felt too weak and shaky to stand in the shower, so I just washed off. If I am too weak again today I will have DH help me. I have a shower chair to use, but if I use that, I need him to work the faucets and hose. Can't do that from a sitting position.

Yesterday, the hospital called to ask how I was doing. They asked if I understood my discharge instructions and if I received good care in the hospital. I said yes, but I intend to send them a formal letter telling them of some issues. The nurses and aides did an excellent job. Never did I have to wait when I rang for the nurse, and they were in at least once an hour to check on me. But I am upset that the woman in the next bed was allowed to keep her big light and her TV on all night that last night. I think if you are in a semi-private room there should be a time for lights out for the respect of the other patient. One time the nurse came in and said "I'll turn out this light for you" but she said "No, I want the light on" and they left it on. I got up to go to the bathroom and she was asleep. So she could sleep with the light and TV on, but I cannot. They do have a small light that they leave on in the rooms so you can see your way to the bathroom, but this was her big light. Years ago, DH was in the hospital, and the TVs would not operate between 11PM and 8AM the next morning. I think she should have been told she could not do that with another patient in the room. So it's actually hospital policy that I disapprove of, not patient care.

I don't know what I'm going to eat today. I will have scrambled eggs when DH makes them, but I don't have a lot of food in the house for lunch or dinner and I'm NOT going to the store. Yesterday DH wanted to go out to eat but I didn't feel up to it. He will probably want to go today, so we will see. I am released for activity as tolerated but just don't feel confident with my walking. Maybe I should be eating more, but I don't want to eat more carbs after having those high readings those few days. I am eating the same as I was before I went into the hospital.

While I was in the hospital, a nutritionist came to see me with a heart healthy food list. I had to LOL because she said "You can eat all the eggs you want, they are good now." After all those years of them telling you to cut back to no more than 1 egg per day, or to only eat egg whites. I have been a big egg eater all my life, and I did not stop, even after I developed heart disease. They now say that carbs/sugar are the culprits, not eggs. The biggest contributor to cholesterol is the cholesterol your own body produces, not dietary cholesterol. They still recommend low sat fat, and I do primarily follow that.

I am going to eat my breakfast and try to take a shower.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #133  
Madeleine

no surprise, I overdid the food in general and carbs in particular yesterday.
Also had to take a laxative (which worked thank you very much) because I was getting stopped up in spite of the high fibre and wheat. I had shredded wheat for breakfast and toast later in the day, yes still nothing. My issues of a few weeks ago are gone, except some discomfort in the abdomen still going on.
FBS this am was up at 6.5, even after toast before bed, so that didn't help.

Trish, thanks for the link and for checking in. I don't know how we can check on each other, if there is something the moderators have. I know I have never left a next of kin email address for people to check in if I disappear.
We do get fond of each other over time, even if its an online relationship. Carol, if something had happened with this heart attack to prevent you ever coming back to the group, we would never know. That saddens me.

We have been having a little winter ice storm here. My own town is not badly affected, so don't worry about me if you read about it. Hope things are ok up in Barrie?

best wishes friends
Old 04-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #134  

Mad, I would not consider toast a suitable bedtime snack for blood sugar control. For me, the only thing that ever worked was protein and fat, like an egg or a slice of cheese. I feel that anything with carbs would just raise my FBG and that's pretty much what happens. I know that's not what they teach. When I was first diagnosed in the hospital they gave me either saltine crackers with cheese, or graham crackers with peanut butter. I have recently read that a bedtime snack is meant for an insulin dependent diabetic, to prevent them from having a hypo after injecting bedtime insulin. I think it's best since none of us here are on insulin, that we just do trial and error until we find out what works for us. It could be various snacks, or no snack, which works well for me. This time when I was in the hospital they asked me if I wanted a snack at bedtime and I said No.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #135  
Madeleine

well, type 2s are theoretically having the snack to prevent glucose dumping with the dawn effect. I had too large a snack, was starving yesterday, all day for some reason, and will blame eating carbs for that.
Any how, if it doesn't work, (and usually because we eat too much) no biggie.
have a good day friends. off to brave the snow and ice.
Closed Thread