Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I hope you feel better, Trish. I think the exercise is making a difference in fasting blood sugar for me, too. I'll have to see how it is tomorrow. I think exercising on an empty stomach wasn't the right thing for me, or I had gone too long without eating. I didn't exercise until 12:30 without any food. It might have been OK if I had done it earlier. I am going to have some water with ACV tonight and the slice of cheese. Cover all my bases. LOL Will see if it makes a difference in the AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I guess I am a little better. Still not up to par. I think it is allergies. Slept off and on all day. I've been drinking water this afternoon and I took ACV in water tonight and ate a cheese stick with some nuts. Will see how that affects my FBS in the morning although I had to take a sinus pill and not sure how it will affect it.

Good night.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #108  

I can't say that the ACV or cheese really had an effect. At dinner, I took my Metformin and also Glimiperide because I had a hot dog with a bun and onion rings. At bedtime, my blood sugar was 201. It had been several hours since I ate, but I wasn't going to take more meds because I took it at dinner. Sometimes it takes a long time to work for some reason. I woke up at 2 to go to the bathroom and tested at 99. So it had dropped over 100 points, and might have actually been lower than that. When I got up around 5 it was 117. I drank another glass of ACV water and ate a hard boiled egg. Now I'm at 145. That same 145 that I've been for the past 2 days. So I don't know what to say. Nothing I do changes anything. It doesn't make any difference if I eat or don't eat. If I snack or don't snack. I will say that I'm not getting the 200s or even 180s that I used to get, but I don't understand how other people get these fasting readings below 100. I will just keep trying. All this testing is using up all my strips and I don't know if I'm making any headway from it.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better. Headaches always worry me. There are some serious things that can cause them. I rarely get headaches, so when I do I'm concerned.

Yesterday my weight was up to 201, today it's back down to 200.5. I want to be below 200 by the end of the month.

I am almost finished with a good book I'm reading. I have a bag of books ready to take to my friend so she has them for while she's having her treatment. I hope she feels up to reading.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #109  

Well, I got up a little early because my sweet DGS in SC called just to talk. He usually calls when his granddad is up, but he said "I'm sorry I woke you Nannie, but I wanted to talk and I knew you usually get up early". He forgot he is an hour ahead of us now that we're in TX. But it was nice to know that he wanted to talk to me... made my day.

Carol Sue I never get headaches but I think this is more of allergy thing. Although it makes me feel bad all over, it seems to center around my sinuses and eyes. The temperature is such a wide range higher 60s or 70s in the morning and 20s and 30s at night. Many people have the flu around here, but allergies are hitting many as well and the drainage doesn't help the tummy. I finally took a sinus pill last night but I don't like to take them for a lot of reasons. They seem to raise bp and sometime bs. I notice this morning I have the jitters from the one I took last night and while my bp isn't high, it is higher than usual for me.

I've decided that eating the way I am isn't doing anything but maintaining where I am. First it raised my weight to 218.4 and has just stayed there for several days. My bs isn't a lot better than it was and the ACV before bed and the cheese stick and I don't think it helped me either. FBS was 148 yesterday and 152 today. So although not real high, it was up.

I don't think the way I've been eating is helping. I am thinking about going back to some form of low carbing. I just refuse to keep gaining weight. I have been eating within an hour of getting up like diabetics are told to do and I just don't think that works for me. In fact, it may be what has caused me to have gained weight. Today I am going back to fasting until around 11ish and stay within the 8 hr eating window.

I will have to talk to my doctor Friday about taking some form of med to help with the diabetes #s, but it is going to have to be a genetic medication. I may see what he thinks of me trying a low dose of Metformin again. It has been a while since I've been on it and perhaps I could take it again since I'm not having potty issues any more. In fact, sometime I have the opposite problem now so perhaps this would be a good time to try it again. Also, I am not eating a lot of fat any more. I think the combo of high fat and Metformin may have been what caused the problems. I honestly believe the potty issues started when I was using coconut oil when everyone was using it with low carb dieting. I do like the benefits of Metformin.

I read the other day that D3 curbs appetite and realized that I'm not taking enough. I had bought Daddy 1000 mg and he doesn't take that much so I brought them home and taking them because I don't want throw them out. DH and I usually take 5000 to 10000 depending on what I can get at the time because I had heard you can't lose weight if you aren't taking enough. I started putting enough for 10000 in my pills yesterday and I noticed that I wasn't starving all day.

Well it is 11 am so I need to go make my breakfast.

Have a good day.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #110  

I don't feel that the ACV helped me, but I'm not ready to give up on it completely. I don't think I should have taken it again this morning as I ended up in the bathroom. I only ate that HB Egg this morning and took my Metformin but BS continued to climb as the day went on, so I took some Glimiperide when it hit 159. There was no reason that I could see that it should have done that. It could have been that I didn't get enough sleep. Who knows. But if eating in the AM doesn't help, there's no reason for me to eat when I'm not hungry.

I am going to try keeping blood sugar down as well as I can, but focus more on weight loss for right now. I feel that losing weight will improve blood sugar. I know I am not staying as low carb as I was before. I need to watch more closely and eat more vegetables.

I read two more articles today about blood sugar control. One was about how water helps lower blood sugar, and the other was about the reason NOT to eat high fat with diabetes. So I will try to keep up my water, and watch fat more closely.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #111  

Carol Sue I'm not going to throw out the ACV either. However, I am going to take it the way I read on WebMD. I believe that is where I read it. They said take 1 tbls with meals, but DO NOT take more than twice a day. I will try to start taking it with 1st and main meal each day. I would have done that today, but I forgot it.

I didn't eat until 11:30 because I just got busy. I didn't cut out the carbs, just not eating as much. I did see that drinking water to stay hydrated is extremely important for diabetic control so I'm working at getting it in. I think I would do better if I don't eat a snack later, but I may go ahead and have it but keep it within the 8 hr window.

I realized today when talking to DS that the 5.9 A1c when I went to him last time was reached with Trulicity. I haven't had that in 6 months. This makes me feel like I've done fairly well since I don't take anything except chromium and the berberine. I really believe the berberine helps keep my bs from going any higher, it just doesn't help it to go any lower. So I'm not going to beat myself up because I think I've done pretty good.

I'm just not happy with the weight gain in the process. I'm thankful that I'm not gaining, but I want to start losing and I want to center in on that as well.
I'm glad I am going to see my doctor Friday afternoon and see what he has to say about things.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #112  

I've made it through the 1st day back OP... my plan. FBS this morning was 152. Had my coffee and then sometime around almost 11:30 it was 139. Checked it again before main meal and it was 128. No potty issues of any sort. Everything working normal. Didn't use MFP. Just ate when hungry, but only had 2 meals and 1 snack. I drank 4 c coffee, a glass of milk and the rest has been water.

I did take the D3 10000 and I have to say that it has curbed my appetite. So that is back to normal. Headache is better tonight so I don't have to take any sinus meds so that is good too. I didn't exercise today, but then I didn't plan to. I will exercise Tomorrow and Saturday and I will have 4 days in this week. It will be easier now that I'm feeling better.

DH is working on his pc now as his did the same thing mine did. We had gotten a warning about it on PC Matic and suddenly we had it happen. I thought maybe it was caused by places I go on the computer, but he doesn't go to all the places I go. So not really sure what caused it.

I haven't gone any where since Monday and we aren't going any where until Friday. I'll go to the beauty shop and then our docs appointments that afternoon. We will need to go to Sam's after since we will be out of tomatoes after tomorrow. Besides the bike exercise, I will have to do some house cleaning tomorrow that I haven't felt like doing the past few days. I've only done what I absolutely had to do.

Goodnight.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #113  

Trish, here is the part of the artlcle that impressed me the most.

Why would staying hydrated help control blood sugar? According to an article in The New York Times, being too dry releases a hormone called vasopressin. Vasopressin tells your kidneys to hold onto water and tells the liver release stored blood sugar. It also raises your blood pressure. Extra sugar should be passed out of the body in urine, but if there’s not much water and too much vasopressin in your system, the kidneys don’t make urine.

I honestly never heard of this hormone, vasopressin. I am going to google and see if I can learn more about it. This could also be keeping my blood pressure high.

At 2 AM in the middle of the night my blood sugar was 82. That made me really nervous because I had taken Glimiperide at bedtime, but I just had a glass of water and went back to bed. I was able to fall back to sleep and slept until 7:30. At that time, BS was 122. I should be happy about that, but I want it without the Glimiperide.

I don't recall you ever saying you had a bad A1c. My doctor is happy about anything under 7 and I have heard that older people should not try for tight control. I consider myself in that demographic LOL. I am hoping to be under 7 next time. In all this time I have only been under 6 one time. This is really up to you, Trish, and I'm just giving my opinion. That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, maybe. LOL

I have to decided if I should go back to taking D3. I was taking 5,000 because believe me, in PA we don't see the sun too often. I didn't notice it doing anything for me so I stopped taking it. You know I'm afraid of supplements. I read up on it after you mentioned it and maybe I will go back to it. Another friend was taking it and her doctor told her to take it 5 days a week, not 7 to avoid toxicity. So maybe I will do that. I am constantly looking for something that will improve my psoriasis. Now that I think about it, I do notice it is a little worse since I stopped the D3. The sun helps psoriasis, so why wouldn't the D3?

We didn't go to Tx Roadhouse. We got some snow and the roads got a little greasy. That never used to stop us, but why take unnecessary chances? TX Roadhouse will still be there and our gift card doesn't expire.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #114  

I read about the vasopressin but it was so much technical jargon I didn't understand it, really. So I will just go by what the article I read because I need help with both blood sugar and blood pressure. I know I don't drink enough water.

I think it's so weird that your Blood Sugar gradually comes down after drinking coffee, and mine seems to just steadily go up as the day goes on, with out any food. Morning is usually my computer time, so maybe I'm just not active enough.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #115  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hi Rennie. I'm so very glad to see you here, but I'm sorry to hear the reason why. An A1c of 11 IS pretty high and you do need to lower it. My main suggestion is low carb eating and exercise, but I know your schedule doesn't allow for much time to exercise, and I believe you are doing shift work, which is hard on the body. I take Metformin and Glimiperide. You need to be careful with the Glimiperide because it can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar. One night when I first started taking it I woke up not feeling well and my blood sugar was 44. I took a piece of hard candy then checked in 15 minutes and it was in the 70s, so I was OK. But it was scary. I would advise you to make sure someone in your family who still lives with you knows how to check your blood sugar and what to do about it if it is too low or too high in case of emergency.

I know that you know a lot about healthy eating and I trust that you will get this under control. You know you can always come here and ask questions, but also listen to your doctor. They might also send you to a nutritionist or diabetes educator.
Carol Sue I remember you talking about that episode with the Glimepiride. How may mg were you taking? Thanks for this tip ... on having someone know how to check my blood sugar in case of an emergency. I’d love to go to a nutritionist again. I went to one when I was first diagnosed.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #116  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Rennie I looked up Tradjenta and it must be a new medicine. I doubt my insurance will cover it and it is probably expensive if they would. I think the ingredient is the same as what is in Victoza. I've decided not to take the Victoza because of some of the side effects, but then my A1c usually is in the 6's.

... (Low-Carb Diet for Dummies).

... So we had some of the fish sticks DH bought and air-fried fries and onion rings.
Trish I don’t know if it’s a new med or not but they’ve put me on it. I’m gonna go to the library when my daughter gets home to get a few books on low carb. Do you have an air-fryer?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #117  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaloveshearts View Post
Hi ladies and gents,

I had forgotten there was this forum. I'm Lisa and 3 months ago, I was diagnosed with type 2. My nurse practitioner put me on metformin and a low carb eating plan.
Lisa on your weight loss so far. Could you give some examples of your meals ... maybe two days worth?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #118  
~Rennie

Looks like I missed the Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary days ... Trish I hope you’re feeling better.

Carol Sue my first day testing read 193 then 3 hrs later it was 182, after eating only some collards it was 172 ... I was only taking metformin.

I had not had any metformin since November.

I had meatloaf, corn and green beans with a little margarine and a s/f gelatin two hours later my reading was 98. I have not seen double digits in forever. This was only taking the Glimepiride this morning (my morning of course) I forgot to take the Tradjenta. But I have it packed and ready to take tonight (in the morning). My weight was 190 the last time I checked.

Last edited by love2b150; 01-25-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #119  

Rennie Glad to see you here. Hope you will come back as often as you can. I looked up Tradjenta and it seems to be an oral medication that works like Trulicity and Victoza. If it is too expensive, it will throw me into a gap within about 5 or 6 months and I would have to go to something else.

Carol Sue It really is interesting that my FBS goes down after coffee. It was 149 this morning and then it was 137 after I drank the coffee. I wonder if taking the berberine with it is what is causing it to come down after. However, I do go back to my SC doctor saying he thought I was more IR than diabetic. I would love to know how people with IR bs works. Does their bs improve during the day?

I don't think I have had a 7 or 8 A1c in a long time. I never knew what it was the first time and that doctor has retired. When I went to the doctor in SC and told him that I thought it was up again, it was 8.2. I don't think it has ever been in the 8 reading since then. It has always been a low 7 or less since I started tracking it.

I will know tomorrow what it is now. If I find that I am in a lower than 7, I might just keep working at this on my own without any diabetic meds. My weight was down .2 lbs. I'm thinking if I can get into a routine of eating that it might cause me to have an average of 1 or 2 lb loss a week. I could live with that as long as it would be consistent weight loss with no gains. A slow loss would still be a loss.

I am not doing MFP. I found the daily sheets DH made years ago for his 1st wife to use. I can keep a daily record of how many servings of each type of food I am eating. This will work out better for me because I don't always eat a full serving of some foods. Plus it will be easier to track some foods I use in a combination for cooking a dish instead of trying to figure out exactly how many calories etc. Not counting calories either. Knowing I have more calories that I could spend seems to trigger me to eat them when I am not hungry.

I ate breakfast about 11:15. I had a homemade taquito for breakfast which I make with low carb tortilla, 2 eggs, 2 sl Canadian Bacon and Mozz grated cheese. I also had the banana with cinnamon and 2 T FF Greek Yogurt. This will probably be my routine breakfast & time because it fits with eating out with Daddy and DS plus it is easy to fix. A time saver.

Main meal will be baked chicken breast with salad, 1 starchy food and 1 non-starchy food. I always have a glass of 2% milk with main meal when we eat at home. Since chips are my weakness, I allow myself a small snack size with bean dip or a PB sandwich on grain bread for my evening snack with Greek Yogurt with cinnamon as it does seem to work better if I open the capsule and pour it into the fruit and or yogurt. Of course, I use the yogurt for healthy immune system and calcium especially since my bone density showed I needed it. I also took a 3rd berberine with my snack last night. I think it may take a while to see any real results from that 3rd berberine.

I have a 16 oz glass I drink water from. I decided to start putting a rubber band around it each time I drink a full glass water until I have 4 of them around it so I will be sure to get my 64 oz drank each day. I forgot to take the ACV with breakfast so will try to remember to take it with main meal and evening snack. That might be better any way because that is when I eat a little more starchy carbs.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #120  

Trish, years ago my neighbor told me to put 6 pennies on the kitchen window sill. Every time I drank a glass of water, move one penny to the other side, until all pennies are on the other side. I put the pennies there and drank a glass of water. When I went back to drink another glass of water, the pennies were gone. DH didn't know what they were doing there, and he didn't ask. Just took them. LOL

Insulin Resistance is when the cells will not allow the glucose to enter. Your pancreas keeps releasing more insulin, but it doesn't work properly and just builds up in the blood stream. If this continues too long, it eventually leads to type 2 diabetes. I believe it is considered Pre-diabetes.

Rennie, My Glimiperide started out a 1 mg in the AM. Then my doctor took me off it for a coupl years. I went back on it at 1mg twice a day, and right now my prescription for Glimiperide is 2mg twice a day, with breakfast and supper. Don't follow my lead, but I check blood sugar and take into consideration what I am going to eat and then decided if I should take the Glimiperide. Sometimes in the morning I will only take 1/4 of a pill or 1/2 of a pill depending on how high my blood sugar is. I usually only eat scrambled eggs for breakfast/lunch, which is around 10-11 AM, so no carbs. If I am going to eat carbs, it will be with dinner. Once again, I test, and decide what to take. Sometimes I will take the 2mg pill, plus the half that I didn't take in the AM. I don't think I am supposed to do that. I should be spacing my carbs within my meals so I have the same amount at each meal, and the 2mg at each meal should take care of it. Because Glimiperide causes weight gain, I don't want to take it all the time if I don't have to. That's why I try to keep carbs low. I am not recommending this to you, or anyone else who might be reading.

I think your meat loaf meal with 1 starchy and 1 non-starchy veggie was great, and so was the blood sugar reading of 98. I think you should easily be able to get this under control. I should go back to making sf jello again. I used to eat it with Reddi Whip which is very low calorie. I just forgot to make it. They sell it already made in Walmart in little cups. My step-daughter loves it but to me it had a chemical taste to it.

How are your kids doing? I used to like hearing the stories about them. Good kids!
Closed Thread