Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I logged my food for the day on Fitday, and it sure was an eye opener!! I really need to do that more. I know I had some things today that I shouldn't have had. I had a total of 1744 calories, 73 gm fat, 205 gm of carb (yikes!) 22 gm fiber and 78 gm protein. According to my Fitbit, I have only burned 1400 calories today so far, but it usually shows around 1700-2000. I usually lose at 1500 or lower. Actually, my fiber was only at 8 gm, so I ate a half cup of Fiber One Cereal to bring it up. So I did eat something after dinner, but I felt it was worth it for the additional fiber. I'm sure after seeing this I will do much better tomorrow and in the future. Lesson learned.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I didn't stay within my goal of 1600 either. In fact, I went to almost 1750 calories. I had the calories according to calories earned, but I don't like using them. I know I like my chips. I buy the smallest bag you can get for individual serving and I need to learn to add them into the smaller amount of calories. The good thing is that I had 18 g of fiber. I needed 2 more to reach the 20 g, but I wasn't about to eat anything else to get it as that would have started me eating more. I wasn't hungry for anything else any way and the key is to eat only when hungry. I believe this will get better as time goes along and I get used to planning better meals that this way of eating allows. I need to get me a Mediterranean diet book or recipe book. I think eating less protein, and more fruit, veggies and grains of good amounts of fiber is key to this whole thing.

Don't know what we are doing tomorrow. I saw a forecast where someone said we will have snow/sleet all around us Tuesday while others say we aren't. It is just going to be freezing no rain. I want to be prepared so I plan to go to Daddy's tomorrow while I'm over to do his meds tomorrow just to be safe.

Got to get to bed.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #63  

Trish, if you google Mediterranean Diet you get a whole slew of good sites about it. Also, if you search Amazon for Mediterranean Diet there are several kindle books that are free with Prime, and a couple cookbooks that are only 99 cents. Lots of information out there.

18 gm of fiber is good. I want to eat 1/4 cup of Fiber One every day now to boost my fiber.

I am in an up mood today and feel that I am ready for this. I will stop and think about everything I eat and not let DH influence me. Another key is to always have things in the house that are a good choice for me so I don't fall back on his junk food.

I will be back this afternoon after the doctor visit.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #64  

Trish, I also noticed that although no one posts in the Mediterranean Diet section here, there a a lot of recipes in the recipe section. Check it out!!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #65  

Carol Sue Thanks for the info. I will check those things out today when I get back from Daddy's. Now they have 90% chance of snow in the forecast for tomorrow night, but I better go do it today any way.

I am feeling really good about every thing today too. I realized early this morning that I didn't do as bad calorie wise as I thought. I forgot to put the grated mozzarella cheese in my chicken salad so that brought my total calories back down below 1700 to 1679. It even brought the fat and the sodium back down out of the red. My weight this morning was down 3.4 lbs too. I haven't checked FBS yet. Finding something that is easy to follow and fits my lifestyle with just a few adjustments that are easy for me to do is a blessing.

I am also sending off for that Diabetes Management Magazine. Putting the little card in the mail box on my way out.

Praying all goes well at the doctor's office. I'll BBL too.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #66  

My doctor's appointment went well. It was just to satisfy the insurance that he talked to me about how the new machine is working out.

I am making chili today. DH told me that he wants me to buy one of those packets of chili starter to use, but I didn't. I think I put everything in my chili that's normally put in it and that's what's going to be in the packet, along with some things I cannot pronounce. LOL I even checked several recipes online and I use the same ingredients. I opened a new can of kidney beans because I don't think that's what's in the freezer. Those will be for a snack for me another day. I have to learn to label things. Can't depend on my memory.

We went to KMart after the doctor's and I asked Customer Service abut the Cash Points. I was allowed to use them for anything in the store except televisions or groceries. So that killed the idea of getting laundry soap or paper products, but we both needed underwear and socks, plus DH got some cleaner for the car. I used $45 worth of points and it only cost me 79 cents. Woo Hoo! I love a bargain. I have no clue why they sent that to me. I never go there anymore because Walmart is so much better. KMart is closing so many stores, but this one seems to be hanging on so far even though they had a lot of empty shelves.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #67  

Carol Sue I'm glad your doctor's appointment went really well. You are good at finding sales. Good for you.

DS called this morning and they decided to go to Denny's. I decided to get eggs, bacon and pancakes, but I only ate about 1/4 of it with just enough syrup to cover the piece I ate. I mostly ate it almost like toast. We had cod fish for dinner.

I think I didn't rinse my coffee cup very well last night because it tasted a little off this morning and I had potty issues earlier this evening. I won't do that again. I'm wiped out because I'm probably dehydrated so I must drink a lot of water tonight. That's great since the bad weather is supposed to come in night with low 20s. Grrrr

I don't know how my eating is today because I haven't felt like eating anything else this evening although I've been a little hungry. Just don't feel like fixing anything. I should have a drop in weight tomorrow if I don't eat anything else because I think I've gotten rid of everything I ate today.

I'm going to take a nap. Have a good evening.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #68  

Trish, I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, but like you said, sometimes potty issues look good on the scale, LOL, even though it's not fun. Hope you feel better today.

I have stuck to plan for 2 days straight now, and am down another pound. I realize this is "first week whoosh" but ya gotta start somewhere. I say I stuck to plan, but I don't even know what plan is. It has no name. I am limiting starchy carbs and sugar, and keeping my portions down, no eating after dinner. I did eat a small portion of Fiber One Cereal in the evening for my fiber. I am going to find a different time to eat it though, because FBG was 180. I remember Rennie used to say that every time her weight went down her blood sugar would go up. I wonder why that is?

Speaking of Rennie, where is she? I will have to check out the forum and see if she's around.

I have a rutabaga in the refrigerator and I'm looking forward to shredding it and cooking it up today for lunch. I could do it now, but who eats rutabaga for breakfast? LOL

I wasn't happy with my chili yesterday. I added extra spices to try to make it more like the canned chili DH likes but it didn't work. I don't know where that taste comes from. Maybe it's the taste of preservatives. I'm going to go back to making it the way I like it. I've done it that way for years and he never complained until recently. I remember that he and his brother always preferred canned beef stew to home made. I think they were raised eating those processed foods and just developed a preference to them. My mother always cooked from scratch because it was cheaper. Maybe with 5 kids his mother found it faster and easier to buy canned.

Yesterday I did crave a Milky Way but then thought of my blood sugar and passed on it. The same with the donuts DH made. He got this recipe from his grandmother and he fries the batter and puts powdered sugar on them. They are best when they are still warm, so now they don't interest me. His daughter loves them so maybe he will take some to her today.

We got snow overnight, but not a lot. I wanted to go to Texas Roadhouse but maybe we'll pick a different day. We have a gift card and a coupon for a free appetizer. I can stay on plan there, plus I like to bring home the leftovers. I think Texas Roadhouse is our favorite restaurant. My birthday is coming up in a week or so, so maybe we can go for my birthday.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #69  

I just cleaned out my refrigerator and thew away a bunch of salad vegetables. I'm going to stop buying them. I have good intentions, but I eat 1 or 2 salads then forget about them. I will eat salad when I'm out but at home, I really prefer hot vegetables. I bought some canned artichoke hearts and hearts of palm and have been eating them, and now I'm cooking a mixture of rutabaga, onion, cabbage and kale. This is my kind of food, and I feel that it's also healthy. It is nutritious, filling and full of fiber. So my brunch/lunch today will be vegetarian, but I think I'm making pork chops for dinner so that will be my protein.

There was a woman on another forum who chops rutabaga in her food processor and uses it like cauliflower rice, since she does not like cauliflower. That's where I got this idea. I put my processor on chop and get more of a rough chop. This helps it soften faster and I saute it will the other veggies chopped small also. I added just salt, pepper and some tumeric.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #70  

Me again. LOL I have decided to start using MFP. I signed up a couple years ago but never figured out how to use it. I am so used to Fitday and it's second nature to me, but MFP syncs with my Fitbit. I just tried it out by entering my food for this morning on MFP and when I went to my Fitbit dashboard it showed my calories in so far for the day. It will also record my water. I noticed that on MFP my steps and sleep for the day were automatically calculated, but they don't look right. I will have to look into this more to figure out how it all works.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #71  

Carol Sue I bought the Mediterranean Cookbook for Dummies for $4.99 on my kindle. I will start reading it today. I know I won't go 100% because I like more meat, but if this book is like the Low Carb for Dummies book I have I will get a lot of good information. I figure I will learn how to cook some of the American foods I like healthier. For example, I am hungry for fried chicken today. I saw a Mediterranean recipe online where they took oatmeal and turned it into oatmeal flour and added it to regular flour to give it fiber. I will do that today and cook it in the Air-fryer.

I think you will like MFP. I never was into Fitbit but sounds like you are getting a lot of good info on it. I know you have problem with foods you put together. I just estimate each food that I put in what I'm cooking and estimate how much I will be using. I'm sure you can do it for an individual recipe, but I haven't figured that one out. Too much trouble.

My FBS was 154 this morning and my weight was the same as yesterday. I've got my calories down to less than 1400 so far today.

No snow or ice stayed on ground last although it was 24 when I got up this morning. High today is supposed to be 32 and 19 tonight. Today is a good day to get under my snuggie and read the Mediterranean book.

I'm like Rennie, I never have understood why my FBS is higher when my weight goes do and is lower when my weight goes up. That is what I complained about with the diabetes educator and dietitian. They promised me if I kept doing what I was doing and not worry about the numbers that eventually it would balance out. As I read some on Mediterranean diet, I am thinking they just might be right. I will let you know after I read more in the book.

BBL
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #72  

It has been snowing all day here. I didn't realize we were going to get that much snow. it's not snowing heavy, but it continuous and is piling up. DH clears off the deck so Rusty can go outside and each time it just gets covered over again. Our road is still covered, too. Since it's rush hour, they will be working on clearing the main roads and will get to our road later on. DH went to the store for a few things and I didn't have to go out in it.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #73  

Trish, that's good that you are going to read the book about the Mediterranean Diet. I think it's a healthy WOE and I think you can vary the amount of each food you eat, such as meat, but just follow the basic guidelines. You can learn a lot from it.

I didn't get weighed this morning because I feel as if I overate yesterday. I still can't stop the night time snacking. I do pretty good, then I cave. Here was my problem yesterday. After I entered all my food in MFP I was under 1000 calories. I have it set up for 1300. In my mind, although I was not hungry, I figured that I can eat more food. I really need to stop thinking that way and now I'm paying for it. It is not my choice of diet that is hurting me, it's my way of thinking. It's all about behavior modification with me, I know that. This is when I need someone to give me a good hard smack!!

I am starting to understand MFP. There are probably a lot more features I need to figure out, but I really like how this information shows up on my Fitbit dashboard. My Fitbit shows how many calories I burned throughout the day and MFP shows how many calories I ate and it all shows up on my Fitbit information. The Dashboard shows the difference, which should always be a deficit. I realize that these numbers are not 100% correct, but they are ball park enough for me to see if I'm doing something right or something wrong. So this is something new for me to play with and it didn't cost me anything. LOL

I noticed on MFP that according to the food I entered, I was low on sodium compared to what it says I should have. Here's the thing. I entered all those vegetables I had for lunch yesterday, but I put salt and pepper on them. They would have been too bland without it. Can I enter salt? And I really don't measure how much salt I'm using. I just shake it on and go according to taste. I don't think I'm going to pay much attention to sodium. My main goal with this is to see that I'm eating fewer calories than I'm burning.

How about President Trump's health assessment yesterday. His A1c is 5. I want to be just like him. LOL
Old 01-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #74  

Carol Sue I think President Trump's A1c is so good because he is so active. Anyone who doesn't need more than 4 hrs of sleep etc, I think he has a fast metabolism.

I ate way too much yesterday. I will use some of the guidelines, but not sure I will eat Mediterranean per se. I think I like the Low-carb dieting for dummies better, but then I need to read more before I decide for sure. However, as I skimmed over the meals, I think I could slow things down with it. The main thing the book says is to make changes but don't diet. I like the fact that they suggest throwing out the diet thinking and think more of changing to healthier alternatives. So not throwing it out yet.

I had a 2 egg veggie omelet this morning and DH wants pizza so I will make it and make my half loaded with veggies. I eat a lot of salads, but not sure I will. According to MFP, my salad is a lot of calories; however, I think since they are mostly water base veggies, I'm not sure I even have to count them. Another thing I get the thought that Mediterranean lifestyle doesn't have to be tracked with calories because you eat smaller portions. I need to read more today and learn more.

I'm running late so will try to get back here a little later.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #75  

Trish, I have decided that no matter what plan I follow I need to be aware of calorie counts. They always say on Atkins you eat 20 gm of carb and eat as much as you want of protein and fat, but there are those on the low carb boards who say that doesn't work for them. Some have to count calories or fat in order to show a loss. So, for me, the best thing to do is to eat the foods I like, limit carbs enough to keep BS in control and stay under 1500 calories.

I had scrambled eggs, a half a banana with peanut butter, and coffee for breakfast. At lunch, I had some of DH's Pasta Roni. About half a cup. For dinner, I had veggies....shredded parsnips, onion, cabbage, carrots and kale, sauteed in some butter and water with salt and pepper. Very tasty. I like the rutabaga mixture better, but I want to alternate so I don't get tired of eating the same thing all the time.

We went to the PCP today and both our BP were up. Instead of getting more meds we are to go back in May and get it checked again. Hopefully we can get it down by then. This strengthens my resolve to lose weight in the next few months, and I hope DH does, too, but he bought sweet rolls on the way home. @@@ When we go back we are going to take our home BP machine with us and they will compare it to the readings they get to make sure it's working properly, because I told the doctor that we get better readings at home. All in all the doctor was not happy with us. We are not cooperative patients. LOL

Now I have to go through all this again next month when I go to see the cardiologist. He is normally the one who manages my blood pressure meds and I would rather have him make changes than the PCP if changes have to be made.

My friend had her appointment with the oncologist today. She will be having Radiochemo 5 days a week for 6-7 weeks with the intention of killing the cancer cells. He is very optimistic about the outcome. He said her cancer is stage 2. This starts as soon as her insurance approves it, probably next week.

I think I will read over the info online about the Mediterranean Diet so I understand what you're talking about. What all do you put in your salads?
Closed Thread