Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, thank you for asking about my friend. She has an appointment with the doctor on Friday and should then get the results of the biopsy and treatment options. She already got the results from the scan that showed the cancer is not showing anywhere else. A lot rides on what the doctor has to say at this appointment. I'm sure she is a nervous wreck about it. I hope her issue can be resolved without serious problems.

I think we both have to go back to what has worked best for us in the past. I had eggs for breakfast and for lunch I ate some cooked cauliflower mixed with some noodles and sauce DH had for his lunch, so I compromised. LOL Right now I'm starting to feel hungry. I take that as a sign that I am not overeating, which is usually my biggest problem. When I never get any hunger pains, I know I've eaten too much and too often. I guess it's time I started dinner. I don't know what I'm going to have with my turkey and gravy.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I think that is great news that the cancer hasn't spread anywhere else. Now I just pray that it can be taken care of without any major problems. Hopefully her diet and exercise will work in her favor.

DH and I went to Daddy's and DH helped him do something on his pc while I did the meds. DH had a hypoglycemic incident and when he got that under control, we left and went to HEB. HEB is a TX grocery store that specializes local foods where possible. We went to one closer to us and they had no cauliflower either. I finally found someone I could ask about it and he told him there was a shortage right now and they didn't even have any in their warehouse. He said if the one I usually go to doesn't have it, then he wouldn't have it either. We decided not to go to Walmart since we have to go there Friday because it will be time to get refills on our meds.

I ended up doing a CAD day within an 8 hr eating window. We decided to come home and I threw together a fish, fries, and onion rings in the air fryer and I made a salad and beets with it. Tonight I cooked me a pork chop with some stirfry veggies and tomatoes and celery. I will drink water until I have coffee in the morning before I go eat with Daddy and DS. I will probably start eating just the eggs, bacon and cheese out of the taquito and throw away the tortilla. That way I can stay low carb for breakfast and dinner and have a CAD RM type meal. I'm also thinking by doing CAD and using the RM and 2 CM that it will be easier to keep my carby foods at a minimum of 3.

I didn't do any formal exercise today. Just the walking at 2 stores and regular activity. I am going to ease back into that as I ease back into my IF/CAD eating plan.

I did check my bs before RM which was 4 and 1/2 hrs after breakfast and it was 114. If I can keep the FBS around 150 or less and the afternoon around or under 120s, I will not take the Victoza.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #33  

Trish, my friend has been eating this way for about a year or so, but for years she ate tons of sugar and sweets, very few veggies. She had a lot of constipation and would go for days without a bowel movement. So a lot of her problems could be from past poor habits even though she has a very healthy lifestyle now. Her reason for the change was because she refused to take any meds for her diabetes, and put it in remission with diet exercise and weight loss.

As I recall, your A1cs have been pretty good. It will probably be even better next time with the way you have been watching, so I doubt if you would even need the Victoza. My doctor would not prescribe meds if I had a good A1c.

I'm curious to know if DH tested when he had the hypo, or if he just had symptoms. I often have symptoms, but when I check BS is not really low. It's a false hypo. His new meds could be causing that for a while.

I googled HEB since you have been talking about it and saw that it's only in TX. Sounds like a good store. We have a lot of supermarkets in our area, but they are just Aldi's and regular supermakets. No specialty stores. They are 20 or more miles from us and not worth the trip since I only buy for 2.

Are you looking for fresh cauliflower or frozen? I rarely buy fresh, only when I want to make cauliflower rice. I have a few servings in the freezer so I won't need fresh for a while. I'm assuming the price will go up when they do get it in.

I am happy with the way I ate yesterday. I only took 1 gm of my 4 gm Glimiperide dose. I would love to be med free like my friend. The only thing standing in my way is the fact that I have been diabetic for 10 years or more, and she only a couple years. I probably have pancreatic damage that may or may not be reversed. I know I can eat eggs, meat and veggies safely, anything beyond that could bring me trouble. It's hard, but not impossible.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-10-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #34  

Carol Sue No, DH didn't check bs when his bs went low. We were at Daddy's and didn't have a meter. This is only the second time this has happened and both times we didn't have a way to check.

I am on Day 2 of IF/CAD. I got the taquito with cheese and bacon and had no problem eating only the egg and bacon and I rolled up the tortilla and threw it away. I came straight home from breakfast this morning. It's a good thing as I barely made it home in time to get to the potty. I think the exercise makes the difference as I did 20 minutes on the bike before I went to eat. Plus I tried taking a 3rd berberine last night and I guess I just can't do that or I need to not take it the night before I'm going somewhere the next morning.

I've decided this is like any other habit I have learned over the years, I just have to consciously do it. I like having one meal a day that I can have what I want. I am cooking Southern Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer for lunch today. I think I'll cook some carrots to go with it and maybe some baby golden potatoes. Of course, we always have a salad with our meals. DH has developed a habit of eating one so even on days when I would not eat one, I go ahead and eat it because he wants it. He too is a creature of habit and since he is so picky about what he eats, I do try to keep his foods on hand. I watched something online on the difference in cooking the fried chicken in the air fryer and in oil. The meal they cooked in oil was 780 calories and in the air fryer it was 250 something and it cooks in 20 minutes.

My FBS was 154 and my weight was back down 1 lb to 216.8 this morning from the 217.8 yesterday. I actually got up in time to do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike. I think I will do some walk a way the pounds moves without the tapes that I remember doing with the tapes. That way I get some walking/weight bearing exercise along with some weights today too.

I stopped eating before 7pm last night and I did get hungry before I went to bed, but I know it will stop after a few days. I drank some water and then finally decided to just go to bed. I rest so much better if I go to bed on an empty stomach. I'm trying to make my eating window between 11am and 7pm creating a habit to become a lifestyle. I want this to get to the place that I automatically eat this way without any thought.

I just decided that if I do CAD along with IF that I am getting the benefits of both lower carb, but I never feel deprived because I can have whatever I want at my RM. If it works, why change it?

Oh, talked to DD last night and she told us that no one can get Trulicity because no insurance will cover it because it is too expensive. Her doctor's office give Victoza but she doesn't know a lot about it. DH told us that is because it is made by Lilly, co. I read online that their company is the most expensive meds there are. Interesting isn't it?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #35  

So what good does it do for them to make that med if no one can get it? That makes no sense. I think people who are not on Medicare can get assistance with the cost.

It's too bad you didn't have a meter to check DH's blood sugar because if you get symptoms but aren't really low, that's a sign that your blood sugar is improving, so it's good to know.

I bought 2 more bags of cauliflower at the store today to have on hand. I looked in the fresh vegetable aisle and they had cauliflower but they were tiny little heads. Maybe the shortage is only in your area?

I got my drivers license pic taken today and got my new license. I was gone at the time they showed my soap operas so I will watch them tonight on another channel. Can't miss my soaps!! LOL
Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #36  

I saw this on a FB diet group and found it so interesting that I decided to share it here.

She said that she learned this from her doctor today and found it interesting enough to share with us on FB.

Her doctor said that as we get older, weight loss and weight gain can take a few days to show up on the scale. This may explain why I lost all that weight and then when I ate off for a few days it looked like I had lost weight, but a few days later my weight just shot up. I didn't get by with anything.

She explained it this way as her example, after overdoing it New Year’s Eve, she was pleased that the next day it didn’t appear to be much damage on the scale. However, when she weighed two days later, she couldn’t understand the sudden “gain.“ After the doctor explained every thing, she understood what was going on.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 AM   #37  

Carol Sue That is what I wondered. Why make a medicine if you aren't going to sell it to the people who need it.

Well, I now have 2 IF/CAD days under my belt. I am just looking at this One Day at a Time. I didn't get hungry tonight. I did have egg/ham omelet cooked in microwave just before 7 so that I wouldn't get hungry. Then I munched on ice while we watched a movie.

I figure when you learn something new such as playing a piano or even when playing a new game, etc that all we have to do is practice until we get to where we can do it almost perfectly. I think that is how I have to do with getting my way of eating under control. I think if I make it a day to day thing without thinking about it long term, I will have a better chance of success. At least I hope that is how it will work.

Going to bed. Goodnight.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #38  

Trish, I understand that the drug companies charge so much for a new drug to recoup the cost of developing the drug, but insurance companies realize that there are less costly drugs that will achieve the same result. I really don't understand why the assistance programs won't cover Medicare patients.

I am doing well with my meals, but still getting spikes from snacks I should not be eating. I know this is something I need to be conscious of continuously. It means I am thinking about food and what I will and won't be eating at all times, but it seems that that's what I will have to do. I have to think about each morsel of food I put in my mouth. Yesterday we had hot dogs and baked beans for dinner. DH cooked 2 hot dogs for each of us. After I ate the first one, I was no longer hungry, but I ate the second one because it was there on my plate. While I was eating it, I was thinking "I'm not hungry for this." but I continued. After that I felt awful. I felt stuffed an miserable. To do this correctly, I should have told him to cook one for me. Hot dogs cook very quickly. If I was still hungry after I ate the first one, I could easily make another. This is my binge eating disorder coming back to haunt me like it sometimes does. I know not to do this, but my control flies out the window in the moment. So although I need to keep carbs low for my blood sugar, I need to work on IE. I can easily go for hours and hours without eating, but once I start, look out.

I was just reading about how long it takes to form a new habit. This article said it's not 21 days like we've been told. It depends on what the habit is, and how frequently we do it. Some can take 18 days, but other can take up to 8 months. That's a daunting thought. So we can fall down several times in our search for a lifestyle change, but we have to get up and keep trying. I have fallen down more times than I like to think about.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #39  

I saw on the news that a new winter storm in coming...all over the country. They mentioned TX, but it might not be the part where you are, Trish. It will be moving into our area tomorrow through Saturday, starting with rain, freezing rain, and turning to snow again. I have a doctor's appointment 20 miles away on Monday morning, and a local one on Wednesday. I will have to look at the weather forecast for next week.

EDIT if things stay the same as what the forecast says online, I should be ok for both days. I don't mind winter when I can stay home, but I hate when I HAVE to go out in it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-11-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #40  

Carol Sue We are going to have lows at night in the 20s and highs in 40s and low 50s during this next cold spell that comes in with a low of 29 tonight but no rain or snow expected but then I've seen it happen when it wasn't expected. We probably will stay in as much as possible, but only to stay warm. Daddy and DS don't like to get out when it is so cold and I don't have to get out until next Friday morning to go for Lab and beauty shop. I hope you will be able to keep your appointments.

I've done very well for 2 days on CAD/IF. I'm having no problem with the IF part, but I am having problem today with CAD. I had eggs with veggies and bacon this morning and I am making homemade hamburgers for RM. My problem is evening meals. I had an egg omelet last night and it was fine, but I don't really like cooking something just for me in the evening. I still have some WW and Lean Cuisine dinners in the freezer that I need to either eat or throw out and I'm thinking it would be so easy to throw one in the microwave with some extra veggies. So today may become a struggle to get through.

The thing that should help me is that my weight is steadily coming down. My FBS was 159 and after the cup of coffee with berberine wa 149. I need to remember this and keep doing what I'm doing.

I was looking at the $4 meds from Walmart and if I need something to help with the FBS, I just may ask the doctor to give a small dose of Glimiperide. I notice they have a 1 and 2 mg. I don't think I would need much and with my diet and exercise, I don't think I would have to take it for long. However, I realized today that my FBS might not be as high as it reads since my fingers are so cold when I take it. I might not be getting an accurate reading. Still comes down to what the A1c is. I just don't want to be satisfied with a 6 when I've had it down in the 5s.

The smart thing for me to do is to keep doing CAD/IF and get to the place I don't need anything. I've done it before so not sure why I'm having a hard time with it this time. I'll will continue doing it any way. I think I am just experiencing the "3rd day" normal struggle which should go away in a few days. In fact, I think I will take out a fish fillet and have it ready to put it with some veggies in foil in the oven around 6 and have it for my last LC/CM of the day. It will be difficult to eat ice us having cold weather so I might have to talk myself into munching on celery since they say it takes more calories to chewing it and it is water. LOL!!! But then that would be eating outside my 8 hrs. Whether I continue the CAD part of my plan or not, I do need to stay with an 8 hr eating window and follow IF with NO night time snacking. I am wondering if I need to just follow IF. I will see. As you can see, I am definitely struggling here.

DS just called and we decided that we aren't going to get together this weekend since the high is going to be 42 Saturday. We will shoot for the next week. I might have DS bring Daddy out here one day next week for breakfast just to get him out of the house depending on how cold it is.

Have a good day.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 296/256/150

What does IE plan mean? Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #42  

Hi Nikkitx73. Welcome to 3FatChicks. IE stands for Intuitive Eating. It is also known as Mindful Eating. It is more for some who have an eating disorder such as Binge Eating Disorder. It is meant to correct binge eating, not necessarily for weight loss, but can help with weight loss as it combats over eating. Basically, you eat only when you are hungry, and stop eating when you are satisfied. Also, you eat whatever you are hungry for. I have to watch that part because eating sweets or carbs is bad for my blood sugar. The idea around it is if you try eating diet food that you think you should be eating, you increase your cravings. By eating what you are hungry for it satisfies your cravings.

I have a problem with eating when it's meal time, because DH is ready to eat, but many times I'm not really hungry.

You can google Intuitive Eating and read more about it.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #43  

Trish, I agree that the IF seems to be working for you so you should continue it. I can't seem to do it.

It's funny to hear that you are staying home because the high is only 42. That's when it gets warm enough for us to go out. LOL
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 296/256/150

Thank you, Wannabehealthy. I have been looking at the threads in the forum, I am prediabetic if not full diabetic. I am going to my doctor to confirm all. I am very anxious about the diagnosis. I know I can get it all under control. Thanks for getting back with me.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #45  

Nikkitx73 Welcome to 3fc. and good luck on your journey. Taking control of your treatment is key to success.

Carol Sue It does sound crazy staying home with weather being 42. I would get out but I don't think my Daddy or DS will want to. I will put the time to good use I hope as I tweak my plan.

Didn't make a day of CAD, however, I did stay true to 8:16 IF. So I'm counting it a successful day. I had had a non-CM cup of soup for supper. I had a can of clam soup that I watered down and only drank a cup of it. Still had 3 meals with no snacks. So that is a great accomplishment. I am thinking that if I can eat sensibly with only 3 meals without snacks and stay within the 8 hr eating window that I will be doing a good thing. I will still stay within moderately low carb and use CAD whenever necessary.
Closed Thread