3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Fasting glucose higher than random? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/307859-fasting-glucose-higher-than-random.html)

lorib64 01-16-2016 05:49 PM

Fasting glucose higher than random?

i have been diagnosed with type II diabetes. My A1C is usually between 5.9 to 6.1 but my fasting glucose runs over 120. I have been on 1500mg metformin. I get reflux.

I have tried dieting and exercise but I have trouble sticking with it. I saw an endocrinologist yesterday and she gave me a glucose meter. I am supposed to measure fasting levels M W F and also if I feel bad or wake up at night. I have problems with fatigue.

I measured in the office 113. I got tired suddenly in the evening so I tested 112 I woke at 1am and it was 155.

I am seeing a diabetes educator next month.

I tend to eat less in the morning and more later in the day.

I could use any general advice. What are good macro targets?

Thanks

lotsakids 01-18-2016 09:38 AM

high morning numbers are usually the result of the "dawn phenomenon". Your liver senses that your blood sugar is going down (not necessarily low but down- it's been tricked by your high blood sugars) so it sends out stored glucose.

I'm struggling with the same thing right now.

lorib64 01-18-2016 01:27 PM

thank you :) I have been on metformin for awhile but this is the first time I have a meter. It is giving me a better idea of what foods cause my glucose to rise. I had never heard of the dawn phenomenon.

p.a. 01-18-2016 07:40 PM

Google it,,,,,it happens to most of us. One way I try to control it is by avoiding carbs after 7 at night. I wake up with bg of 5.6 ....
I'm not sure what your macros should be...I tend to focus more on counting just carbs. Aiming to keep them under 80 g for the day. Lots of people aim for 20 to go into ketosis,,,,,I tried but can't stick to it.

lorib64 01-18-2016 10:45 PM

thanks p.a. that is a good guide, too.

Wannabehealthy 01-19-2016 10:02 AM

I have lowered my fast blood sugar by taking the largest dose of Metformin at bedtime, but I don't advise making adjustments without discussing it with your doctor.

I agree with p.a. to keep your carbs on the low side. As far as macros, the diabetes educator should be able to advise you about that. You are lucky to have that option. I didn't get to see a diabetes educator when I was diagnosed. I had to research on my own with books and the internet. All I got was about 30 minutes with the hospital dietician.

lorib64 01-19-2016 10:10 AM

Thanks Carol Sue. I know I am lucky. I had just been going on my dr's advice, but it wasn't helpful enough. I am learning a lot now that I have the meter. It may be good that I had to wait. I didn't accept the dx at first