Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Default High blood sugar on a low carb diet

Alright gotta a question, but some background first:

My mother has type 1, diagnosed when she was 7 so I grew up in a house that was pretty knowledgeable about the disease. My aunt on my dad's side and my grandmother both have/had type 2. So genetically I think I'm pretty much geared up for some sort of sugar issue.

Anywho - I was diagnosed pre-diabetic 5 years ago. I went on a pretty strict low cal diet with exercise and stabilized my blood sugar to normal ranges fairly quickly. Obviously, like every other diet on the planet, I didn't stick with it but never really gave BS much thought since. Last November we did our at work insurance thing and my fasting glucose was 92, which I thought and was told, was good.

Well, I started this low carb diet because my husband was put on one by his physician and since I cook, it's just easier for us both to eat the same way. I've actually really enjoyed this WOE this time around and could really see myself staying on it for life.

Now my issue - I'm not losing scale weight, maybe a few inches here or there but the scale really isn't budging. It's up and down week after week. I've only been on the diet for a month and not quitting or anything, but my mother suggested I could have insulin issues. So last night after dinner, I tested my blood sugar and it was 177. 2 hours later it was 143. This morning after fasting it was 123. Those just seem high, or at least back to prediabetic levels.

I thought low carb was supposed to help blood sugar, not make it higher? My calories are staying around 1500 or less per day, mostly 1300 really. I'm eating 20g of carbs daily, every now and then veggies shoot it up to 30.

Went to my doctor this morning and he said I was overreacting, which may very well be the case. I'm not really sure where to go from here other than to keep monitoring it and keep on keeping on. I don't feel bad. I feel pretty dang good actually. So does this make any sense?
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #2  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I recently went to a diabetic clinic and got to learn more about blood sugar and the role that the liver and pancreas play in our daily lives.

Your blood sugar can fluctuate regardless of your carb intake. The job of the liver is to release stored sugar to be consumed as energy which results in higher blood sugar readings even when you haven't eaten carbs (like morning blood sugar readings that may be high).

When I notice my blood sugar is going up or is high, I try to get some moderate to high level exercise in to consume the released sugar and help bring my sugar level back down.

Last edited by Laifierr; 07-22-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

It's possible you may be attributing cause-effect where there is none. If you were once diagnosed as pre-diabetic, you may be pre-diabetic again, and it's not likely to have anything to do with eating low-carb lately. In fact, if you weren't eating low-carb, your fbs could be even higher. You said you feel good, so that's probably a pretty good indicator that you are doing things right.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Perhsps you can post a detailed daily menu we could respond to.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #5  

Being a newby to diabetes, I think it's good you are on top of yours numbers and WAy of eating. IM surprised your Dr wasn't concerned since you were prediabetic and there is diabetes in your family. Did you get your AC1 number? Each time I go for an appt my Dr sends me for a blood test.
Keep up the good eating habits Ficlehearts

Last edited by p.a.; 07-22-2015 at 06:12 PM.
p.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like you are pretty on top of things... As it's already been suggested I would get an A1c just to see where you're at...

I'm about your height and if your ticker is right I was about your weight when I began trying to lose weight again... I was prediabetic and I also have a strong family history as well... For me doing low carb was helpful, but it wasn't until I got down to below 200 lbs that my numbers started to improve...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 07-23-2015 at 08:39 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the suggestion for an A1C test. It will either rule out any concerns you have or confirm them.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #8  

I agree on getting the A1C test done. It is highly unlikely that lowering your carb intake caused a spike in your glucose levels. Once your body starts going to your stored fat reserves for its energy needs instead of the glucose, even sporadic "cheats" here and there won't cause a spike, unless you really fall off the wagon and, say, eat a gallon of ice cream in one sitting.

Good health to you!
Tom.
Carbhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I would get the A1C and stay low carb.
Hubby and I have been low carb for 6 months. He has lost 30lbs and his A1C has dropped from 7.8-5.3! He eats about75 carbs per day. We started out lower but he had low glucose issues.
I was prediabetic and I have lost 45lbs I won't get labs again til Jan.
We exercise daily. Exercise helps lower bs levels.
We eat no processed carb.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote