Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #31  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

It's Monday and my goal is to eat 3 reasonable meals and 2 snacks, if I feel hungry for them. Sounds so darned simple, lol.

Please don't laugh at me, but I am also going to try and NOT name this new WOE, lol. It's doesn't matter what I call it...h#*l, I can call it Bob- if it works, it works. If it doesn't, I modify. Remind me of this tomorrow.

Trish, huge congrats on a great day! I don't eat egg substitute bc my cholesterol has always been fine and the texture is a little off to me.

I'll BBL, but wanted to wish everyone a great start to the week! Well, a day late...technically, lol
momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, the original SB diet book states that 2 snacks a day are mandatory. Most people I talked to about it said that they only did snacks if they were hungry. The plan has been altered a couple times, I think.

Elizabeth, I think you can change plans every week and still continue to lose weight as long as you are sticking to the rules of the plan you are on for that week. It seems that there is something about each plan that I don't like. So many people tweak plan to suit themselves, but I read somewhere that that is a sign of lack of discipline. I know I have no discipline. I used to, but lately I get into the middle of the day and just say heck with it! I need to get my discipline back. Eating whatever I want when I want is what got me in trouble in the first place. I hope you do well with Bob! LOL

When I buy egg substitute I always buy Walmart's brand. They seem to have a better taste to me than the brand names. I don't like the texture of them plain, but if I mix things in with them, like veggies, I don't notice the texture.

Trish, I don't eat thing that are labeled fat free or low fat, but I do not do things like douse my meat in butter, which many people do to add fat. I use butter on vegetables, I eat full fat cheese, and I buy marbled meat because it's juicier. I still use skim milk because I like the taste better than milk with fat in it. I don't use much milk, anyway.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

One S (Successful) day behind me and my FBS is 110.

Got company so will BBL
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #34  

Carol Sue While I don't eat lowfat/ff, I don't go wild with high fat plans either. I do like butter and some times I like CO but not all the time. I don't always like EVOO either although I do use it more than either of the other 2. I'm still going to keep milk in my diet. I just read yesterday on Yahoo.com an article that was from Prevention on 5 things to do help lose weight. One was to stop drinking lowfat/skimmed milk. They say it is better to drink regular whole milk as it helps you lose weight better. So it seems that lowfat/ff dairy isn't helping us slim down. I don't use that much of it anyway.

Elizabeth I don't think that I am going to have a name for my way of eating either. I think I need to stop that. Probably lower carb although not really low carb is enough. I am shooting for keeping my FBS low and lose weight although the weight loss might not be as fast as it might be if I followed an actual plan. However, I read an article recently they had compared diets and how they worked long/short term. What they learned is pretty much what my doctor told me about the fact that any diet will work if you find one you can live with because they said that the 2 best diets for losing weight is WW and Atkins. The problem with all diets is that while they work for weight loss not one of them worked long term. Most people who lose on them end up gaining their weight back.

I have a book that tells of people who have lost weight and kept the weight off for more than 3 yrs. Just about everyone of them who had kept the weight of for 5 or more years took a plan and tweaked it to fit their personality and lifestyle. So I know it can be done and I think that is what I have to do. That may be what we all need to do. Take a basic plan and create one that fits you. I think that is why we find so many diet books with different ideas. I have seen people who say eat all veggies, another says eat only protein, some say eat high fat very low carb and own and own and own. I think these are people who found a way that works for them, but doesn't work for everyone. After all these years I know what I like on or about a diet and what I hate about them. I see things I think are good ideas and some I think is too extreme etc. So have decided to figure out a way of eating that will fit me.

I still like the theory behind IE as to eating only when hungry. However, I'm beginning to figure out when I need a little protein etc because my bs is low and I need something. I read somewhere a man told some one to eat toward their diabetic meter. So I think this must be what he was talking about. Hopefully this way of eating will help me to eat only when I am really hungry. I'm also learning that eating this way seems to keep me from eating more than I need.

Off to another good start today. We have to go to Walmart to get some meds and pick up a few groceries. Don't know if we will eat out or not. If we do I will stick to a salad if possible or else I'll let DH eat and I will eat when I get home. I kind of feel like I did when I successfully ate this way about 4 yrs ago. So I want to keep the momentum going.

Have a great day and I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #35  

Trish, when the hospital put me on that diet after my heart surgery they had me drinking 3 cups of skim milk daily and my weight was literally falling off of me as I continued that plan for several months after I came home, and I'm convinced that drinking that skim milk was a big factor. So it's hard for me to believe that switching to whole milk would help me lose weight. Everyone is different, as we always say. My 70 lbs overweight is from way more than skim milk. LOL

I agree with your doctor, find a plan you can live with the rest of your life and you will lose weight and keep it off. It doesn't have to have a name. It can just be eating less of everything.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #36  

Today we ended up eating Chinese, but DH and I always share. I didn't even eat a cup of rice and my other meals were OP. Knowing the things I learned from Carbohydrate Addicts and other successful low carbers I've read I count today a Successful day because I didn't let it derail me. No guilt made it easy to stay true to what I am doing as I only ate 3 meals and one snack which is the key rule to my plan for the day. The other 2 meals and snack were low carb. So I am very pleased with my day.

Oh yes, I wanted to share the miracle concerning my Januvia prescription. It has come down. Last month I paid $118 for it, but today it was $35. It looks different but is from the same company. We really needed that break and I am so thankful.

I read that the Afrin that DH has used for 30 yrs is probably what has caused him to lose his taste. It said that long term use can cause loss of taste and smell. He isn't happy with the results of my research as he is really hooked on that stuff, but the ENT gave him a prescription for Flonaise which I hope will heal and reverse the damage. I'm hoping that since he still has smell that all isn't lost.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-08-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #37  

Trish, did your Januvia bottle have a sticker on it stating that it is the same med that you took before? They use them at Target when I'm given pills that look different. Or did they tell you it was the same? If not, I would look into it. They could have accidentally given you something else made by the same company.

Edit: I found this website where you can enter info from your pill and it will tell you the drug name.

http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php

I have a very poor sense of smell. I've been that way since I was a teen. I probably have a deviated septum or something similar that causes it but I've never been diagnosed. If anything ever happens to DH I will have to get a gaget from the gas company that detects natural gas because I cannot smell natural gas. I would be in big trouble if I had a gas leak. I had a problem with that when I lived in my apartment and probably would have blown the place up if my date handn't arrived when he did and smelled it. But anyway, they say that the sense of smell and taste go hand in hard. I have a sense of taste, but this might explain why I love strong tasting foods. Maybe they don't really taste as strong to me as they do to someone with a more sensitive sense of taste.

I have heard of people getting addicted to nasal sprays.

I finally got a call from the cardiologist office about my echocardiogram. They said "Your left ventricle is working normally, and there is no change in the valves." No one ever mentioned the left ventricle before, but that's probably why this tech was doing things differently from the original tech I had. I googled and read that a disorder of the left ventricle would indicate heart failure, so I guess that's why they were checking it. Good to go for another year.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-09-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #38  
One Meal At A Time

I was under the impression that one wasn't supposed to use nasal sprays for more than 3 days in a row, as more than that would cause rebound?

Trish, it is starting to sound as if you have this eating lark pretty well figured out! Just keep telling yourself you know what you are doing and see it through.

Need to tell myself that- yesterday was fine until I mindlessly started snacking and then gave up for the day. Did learn that I can keeps my FBG at 98 or lower, if I have a snack before bed. Even cookies seem to work, lol

Carol Sue, I am like you with the milk thing. Cannot wrap my head around how whole milk might be better, but I solved that issue by not drinking it at all, lol

Told DH my new plan was to start doing Bob (the name of my new WOE.) Took him a few minutes to find the humor in that statement, LOL.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #39  

So if you're DH doesn't mind you doing Bob, go for it! LOL We will keep at it day by day and get this snacking under control. Slow and steady wins the race!

I think some people need nasal sprays for certain conditions. Not sure.

I'm starting a new trend for myself today. Normally, I get up and am in my nightgown for the first few hours (I'm a very early riser.) Then when I do get dressed I put on ratty clothes since I'm just in the house. I have a lot of nice summer outfits, tops and capris. I've decided that I am going to shower and get dressed in the AM, not necessarily at 5 AM, but earlier, and I'm going to put on a nice outfit. It will boost my spirit and make me feel better about myself, which might give me more incentive to eat right. I tried this once before and it backfired because each time I put on a nice top I spilled something on it and got a stain, but I will be more careful this time. My elderly neighbor across the street always looks like she's going out somewhere, so nice. Anyway, none of these clothes are going to fit me next year. They are going to be way too big, so I might as well get my wear out of them now!! How's that for a positive attitude!!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #40  

Carol Sue I thought the Januvia was white. I guess I opened the wrong bottle when putting the meds away. It is the same pill, number and color. It's in a bottle this time instead of in one of those stupid contraptions that I liked to have never figured out how to open.

I used to be addicted to Afrin and broke the addiction on my own before DH#2 passed away 15 yrs ago. Married DH#3 2 yrs later and picked up the habit again when I married him and moved to FL. Boy my allergies were bad there. I still used it some when we moved here. A few years ago when I told my doctor what I took for my allergies, he told me not to take a allergy pills with D which I still do only when absolutely have to take something. He prescribed Nasonex and Flonaise (don't know if I sp right) for me to decide which one works best because he didn't want me using Afrin. I use Nasonex because DH DD brought me some samples when she worked for the ENT DH used to go to when we lived in FL. Now that Flonaise is OTC, I will buy those when I run out of the samples. They last a long time though because I don't seem to need them as much as I did the Afrin. I only will use Afrin in a pinch if I don't have the other. I think Afrin is addictive and after seeing what can happen from long term use, I don't want to ever go back to it on a regular basis.

Elizabeth I loved the "I'm doing Bob". I can see how your DH must have been taken aback for a moment. LOL Thanks for the chuckle Let me help Bob along with a little suggestion... If you have a snag during the day, don't give up. Remember you are tweaking your plan as you go along to make this "Your Plan". Just make your next meal or snack OP. That was the key to my making it through DH choice of Chinese food. It is one of my favorite foods. I did okay, but I realized last night when lying in bed that I could have done better. When I use canned beans and not sharing with DH, I wash the beans off to get all the starch and salt washed off. I realized last night that I could have rinsed the off the meat/vegetable sauce it was cooked in. It still would have had a slight sweet taste, but most of the sugar would have been gone. I think we just have to learn these little tricks as we tweak our plans to work for us.

We have to realize that "life happens". We won't always be able to eat as clean as we want, but we can learn little tricks to adjust what we do eat so that we can still feel successful. I tell you to be able to eat and enjoy that meal without feeling so guilty was a blessing. Normally I would have blown the whole day before with the attitude of "I can't do this so I might as well quit now and forget it". Thank God I didn't. Being able to relax and realize that I knew I had done my best as far as I knew at the time, I was able to finish the rest of the day as planned. Now I believe that because I was relaxed, I was able to reassess and see where I can make it even better next time.The funny thing is that I wasn't even thinking about it when I realized how to make it better fit my plan next time. It just came to me out of the blue. I feel so blessed that I have these two S days behind me and marked on my little calendar that I feel empowered to succeed today. The first thing I did this morning was to write out my plan for the day.

Actually without trying or even intending to, my plan has evolved into more of a tweaked Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. I eat 2 eggs with bacon, cheese and some sort of frozen greens that I alternate each morning. Yesterday was kale and today was spinach. Never had it with spinach and I loved it. Tomorrow will be collards. Lunch is whatever balanced meal DH and I have together. Dinner has become a stir-fry made either with beef, fish or chicken pieces. Walmart has started cutting what looks like flank steak, may even bee that thin sirloin cut into strips. I took a few of those last night and cut them up into little chunks and had them in stir-fry. Finished off the meal with some cashews. Cashews are not CAD so that is where I tweak it to fit me.

Changed my ticker. I lost a lb and it has stayed off for a few days so I felt safe to change it. My FBS was 114 which is good considering the Chinese meal. I do feel really good about what I'm doing and will be sticking with it. DH says that as long as I keep my bs down that the weight will begin to come off. Bless his heart he still eats even though things don't taste good. I got a call from ENT office today and his thyroid is within the normal range so they ruled that out. Sure hope the Alpha Lipoic Acid and prescription Flonaise med helps it come back.

Y'all have a nice day. I'll catch y'all later. Don't give up. Carol Sue Good for you wearing those close you won't be able to wear next year when they are too large for you. We will all love buying new smaller clothes. However, I must say that I have some gorgeous out fits when I lose enough to get into them again. WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS GIRLS!!!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #41  

JUST HAD TO SAY...

WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS AND WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO KEEP IT OFF THIS TIME!!!

Why????

BECAUSE THIS TIME WE ARE WORKING OUT A PLAN SPECIFICALLY OUR OWN!!!!! THAT'S WHY!!!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #42  

Another S day. YAY!!! Goodnight.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 330/316/176

Height: 5'11"

Hi all, I am new to the board.
I have had diabetes type 2 for about a year now but have only just recently started taking it seriously. I got a bit of a health scare from the doctor as now have fatty liver, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I have decided to do something about it and also about my weight. My big problem at the moment is getting cold feet and not being able to warm them up, any tips?
Since I have started my diet, my blood pressure has gone back to normal and so have my blood glucose levels too, so I seem to be moving in the right direction there. Just thought I would say hello to everyone
fatminusfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #44  

Hello Fatminusfat. Welcome to the Diabetes thread. You are on the right track, taking your diabetes seriously, and lowering your health risks. It's not a disease to play around with.

Being in Australia, you are now having fall, going into winter, as we in N America are having spring, going into summer. That would make a big difference with having cold feet. Pay close attention to your feet because there's always the risk of neuropathy. Mention this coldness to your doctor next time and see if this is something due to your diabetes.

Keep up the good work!

Trish, I also have a lot of smaller clothes I would like to get into, although most of them are for colder weather. Next summer I will have to buy new capris. I like the ones I have that I bought at Kmart. They are very lightweight material in so many different colors, and have a drawstring waist that works so well for me. I will be wearing a smaller size by next summer, for sure.

My ticker is way wrong. I am back up over 200 but refuse to change my ticker because I intend to get back down into the 190s very soon.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #45  
One Meal At A Time

Good morning!

I am ashamed to admit I cheated on Bob last night. If I'm not careful, he might go searching for a new partner in crime, LOL.

Carol Sue, getting 'ready' for the day makes all the difference in my attitude. Like you, I am a very early riser, but I tend to be ready to go by 6 or so. I refuse to be a frumpy stay at home mom, but for months, that's exactly what I was.

Let's just say I own a lot of yoga wear for someone who has never actually done yoga!

Welcome to the thread, fatminusfat! You are headed in the right direction and great job! Carol Sue gave you great advice- though I have never had that particular side effect, I do take extra B vitamins, as my doctor said it could stave off nerve issues.

Trish, your excitement is inspiring and I hope it contagious...really, really soon!