Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #46  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Shannon, all I can say is "Join the club." LOL It seems that everyone here is having issues, which is evident in the lack of posts. When things go wrong, we quit posting. One good thing about all the yard work is you are using muscles you haven't used since last summer, when you were doing yard work. That is one time when soreness is a good sign, as long as it isn't an injury. Unfortunately, I think this is going to be your life until Olivia goes to school full time and you'll have more time during the day to get things done, at least during the school year. I often wonder how my MIL did it raising 5 boys!

Try to hang on. Things can only get better! Hopefully by the time you stop in again there will be more activity here.
Thanks Carol Sue! Yeah, it does seem to be a time of struggle for us all....must be spring, lol!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I've been MIA because I've been having reactions to the new Metformin ER I've been on. I didn't realize that was the problem until this morning. I found the sheet Pharmacy gives out with the meds. I've been having headaches every evening after I take the pill. It has gotten to the place that the headaches never really go away completely. I ended up taking Excedrin with helps relieve the pain some, but then the caffeine kept me awake all night so I can't take that. Also I've started having indigestion at night and these are all symptoms that are reactions to the Metformin. So I will not be taking that any more. Didn't go to church this morning and afraid to eat because my stomach is still upset although yesterday when I ate lunch it seemed to let up some after I ate. But then when I took the pill with my dinner, all the indigestion and headaches came back.

As for my eating, I've been doing IF/IE. However, since I do like to eat low carb, but also like having some starchy carb from time to time, I've rejoined the CAD/CALP group on another site. I tried to get a thread going here on 3fc years ago and it never got off the ground. I know it is considered a good healthy diet because years ago when I was on another Low carb site before I knew about 3fc, one of our low carb girls became pregnant. The doctor would not allow her to stay on Atkins, but said she could stay on low carb plan if she did CAD. She later went to work on a low carb site that sells low carb products. And I know that way of eating worked so well for me years ago when I lost about 65+lbs on it. So I've decided why not go back to it.

I like the fact that this plan gives me the option of whether I want to eat 3 meals or less and if I want to eat snacks or not. If I want breakfast I can have it and if I don't then I don't have to eat it. I think it will fit in with my IF/IE plan very well. I can have a serving of some carby food that I really want once a day. It can be part of a meal or it could even be a snack. I've just got to stop looking at other diets and get with what I know works for me and go with it. I think this is best for me because when I'm trying to do Atkins, it is so easy for me to throw in a CAD's RM when Tony and I go out to eat. But this way, I won't have the stress of guilt when I do that because that is part of the plan.

Shannon I am so sorry your life is so wild right now. I think my problem is the opposite. I always seemed to do better when I was so busy. I have often thought that my problem these days is that I don't have enough to do so I have to make myself get things done. The problem is that there is not that much that I have to do so I've gotten in a routine of get the necessary things done and forget about the other things that are not so important.

I'm sorry I'm not here much any more because I'm trying to not be on the computer so much these days because I end up sitting too much. But I do check in to see if anyone has written.

Hope everyone is ok.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I really understand where you're coming from. If CAD/CAlP is what works for you, then that's what you do. That is probably the way I eat too, but I just don't call it that. Since I usually prepare some carb item for DH at dinner, I usually eat a bite or two of it (or more!). I just don't call it CAD/CALP. I do not always do the big salad before the RM, the way it is required. You know me and my tweaks! LOL I think I have posted in the thread you're following. I get email updates occasionally. I read, but rarely post, because since I am not following it to the letter I feel like I don't belong there.

My problem is not my meals, but my in-between eating, and I guess it will always be that way. My head just won't click around IE.

I'm sorry to hear your new Metformin isn't working for you. It's just not for everyone. There is probably something else out there you can take in place of it, or maybe you will do good controlling it with diet and exercise. You always have pretty good A1c, so you must be doing something right.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #49  
~Shannon

Trish sorry about the Metformin. I took it before
Olivia with no problems then when I tried to go back on it after I had her it made me so sick. The dr told me people have different responses to it at different times and you cannot assume you will have no side effects later just bc you took it at another time without any....so weird!

I am going to attempt to restart tomorrow. Mark is gone and Olivia has preschool Mon, Wed and Fri. I will go grocery shopping tomorrow and make a meal plan while she is in school. I had planned to work in the yard but it has rained all day. The yard is a lake :-(

I have been decluttering a little. That helps me mentally. I also spent several hours arranging and rearranging the living room Saturday. I have concluded the room is just ridiculously large and no matter what I do it looks off but I have it in an order that seems mostly ok. I want to start putting some things on the walls in there...it's just so bare. It is a very open floor plan so you literally see the living room or walk through it all day. It's just so sad looking! I think doing some more decirating will help me mentally. I derive alot of my energy, good or bad, from my house....just the way I am wired.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-20-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #50  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Good morning!

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself- I hope you have room for one more poster!

I have been following the monthly accountability thread in the weight loss section, but right now, weight loss isn't my top priority.

I'm what is considered prediabetic, but I'm starting to have more issues coinciding with true Type 2. Right now, I take met 2x a day and I've not had any real issues with it. When needed, I take a diuretic, but I try to avoid it.

As far as my diet is concerned, my issues are mostly hormonal, so foods that someone else may not be able to eat, I seem to tolerate just fine. I don't follow any specific type of plan and take most meals as they come- call it a combo of IE/IF/No S, lol.

If I lose this last 10-15 pounds, that would be great, but if not, I'm ok with that. I just want off of all meds.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #51  

Hello Momwithdogs! We always have room for one more poster. Right now this thread is really slow. We go in spurts. A big flurry of posts, then nothing for a while.

I would like to get off my meds too, but that requires stricter dietary control than I am taking right now, plus exercise. Knowing what foods raise your blood sugar and eliminating them, or cutting back is a first step. Exercise lowers blood sugar and it doesn't have to be really strenuous, just regular. A nice walk twice a day will work, especially after your largest meal. Please note that I am talking about exercise to lower blood sugar. For weight loss, exercise should be a little more intense. Also, diabetes doesn't go away. You can get it under control to the point that you can get off your meds, but to keep it there, watching your carbs and exercising will be a life-long requirement.

Having said that, Metformin is beneficial in other ways, so it's OK if you need to continue with it, as long as your diabetes doesn't worsen and lead to more meds.

Shannon, I have given up on decluttering! LOL Someday you will see me on Hoarders! Good luck with your meal planning and new start!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #52  

Momwithdogs Welcome!! We aren't real active here lately, but like Carol Sue the busyness of the thread seems to come in spurts. Glad you are joining us. I got my blood sugar under control twice yrs ago, but when I gained back over 200 lbs it got out of control again. I know it can be reversed and controlled but only as long as I work at keeping my weight down. My advice is if you have a plan that works for you then stay with it. I've played around trying other diet plans and I always go back to this one I've just gone back to because it works for me. My doctor told me that any diet will work but the key is to find what you can live with. I finally realized that the plan I use is different from what others do, but it fits me and my lifestyle. That is why it always works for me. We have learned here that just as "one size" doesn't fit all, neither does on diet plan fit all. What works for me may not work for you or anyone else on here because we are individuals with different health problems, likes and lifestyles.

There is a lady on the CAD/CALP site I am on. We started out together about 14 yrs ago. We both lost our weight on that plan. The difference is that she has never done anything else. She has kept her weight off and I am starting over. I've learned my lesson. Get on what works for me and do not change to anything else.

Shannon I really don't care that I can't take the Met. It just means that I have to work at it with diet and exercise. Although they do have other meds, I am not a candidate for them because I lean toward yeast infections. I think it is good for me not to be able to take meds. I actually am getting into a routine of exercising and I am back on the plan that worked for me before and I am really looking forward to the exercise and to my meals. I thought of you today. Some how I started getting articles from something called Alternative. I don't care for all their stuff but today they had something about Coconut flour on there about the benefits of switching to it and also how to bake with it. I decided to go to FB and look up Coconut Flour and they have loads of recipe groups on it. I found some I want to try. I didn't know Coconut flour had such great benefits for blood sugar etc. You can use it in place of flour and it is low carb. I noticed Paleo diets use it.

Carol Sue One of the ladies on the CAD/CALP thread on the other site told me to tweak the plan to fit me. I am reading the CALP book again and it pretty much says the same thing using the basic plan as a guideline to start with.

I am eating low carb foods for 2 meals and snacks when hungry IE rules of only when I am hungry and then I have my RM when I have the higher carb food that I want that day. They say in the book that this will eliminate the guilt because it is part of the plan and I must say that it is a really nice feeling to be able to enjoy a carby food I want and not feel like I'm doing something wrong. Removes the stress. I lost .4 lbs this week, but down from 218.6 to 218.2. So that is a loss and I will take it. FBS isn't as low as it could be, but it is steadily coming down with diet and exercise so I am pleased with that too. Slow and steady is the best way to do this while I learn that this is the way I will eat the rest of my life.

Sorry, I've gotten so wordy today. Oh, my last living uncle, my Daddy's brother and last living sibling, passed away and they are burying him today. All my family is in TX so I won't be going. I have many fond memories of him. He was 94. My Mama and all her siblings passed away a long time ago. My Daddy will be 92 in June. I think he hangs on to see after my Step-mom. We've still have been blessed. Happy for them because they are in a better place and with family, but we miss them.

Y'all have a good day.

Edited to share that I just noticed today that the lady who started CAD/CALP with me yrs ago has lost more than her original goad and ways 20 lbs less than her goal. Man if only I had never stopped doing CAD/CALP.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-20-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #53  
~Shannon

I told a local diabetic mom friend about our group here, I hope she will join. She is on a new med -glymberide (??) and it doesn't seem to be working yet, have any of you been on it? She was wondering how long it should take for her readings to improve?

My fresh start did not happen, in fact I went the other way....extreme food! I am really having a hard time pulling myself out if this one ladies! I did finally get some shopping done but no meal plan...honestly, lack of planning is my biggest problem.

Trish almost everything I make at home with any flour has coconut flour in it :-)
Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #54  

Shannon I figured you probably already knew about the coconut flour, but thought I would share. Don't beat yourself up because you are having difficulty getting back OP. Just keep trying by doing what you can and start building up to it. You have done this before and you can do it again. You are young and don't fall into the guilt cycle. I'm confident you can and will do it again. Just don't give up.

I took Glymberide the first time I was diagnosed with diabetes and was very successful getting everything under control, but I did have to diet and exercise. Lowfat was just getting popular then and I used the lf diet and I exercised 45 minutes a day. I only had to take it for about 2 weeks and I doctor took me off of it. The second time I was diagnosed it didn't do a thing for me. So I took care of it on my own by going on the CAD which had just come out at that time and took no meds. My life became extremely busy because DH #2 passed away and I was working 2 and 3 jobs so I was extremely active along with the new diet. I wasn't diagnosed again until about 8 yrs ago when I gained the weight again. Now I'm back trying to do it without meds again using the CAD plan.

My first Doc who gave me the Glymberide said that I was one of the lucky ones who could manage the diabetes with diet and exercise. So I don't really know how long it should take. Maybe she needs to let her doc know if she doesn't see results soon, but I don't know how long. Sorry. Maybe she needs a stronger pill. I remember my sister-in-law at the time who was T-1 diabetic was on a stronger Glymberide than I was.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #55  
One Meal At A Time

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

It's so funny how things get slow when we are struggling, but those are the posts that resonate with me. No one is perfect all of the time and any help we can give each other is a plus in my book.

Wannab-I'm right with you; controlling through diet and exercise is my holy grail, but I will take whatever small gains I can get. I'm 42 and have 3 kids, 18, 2.5, and 8 months. Yes, DH and I are idiots, lol. I had gestational diabetes with toddler and it went away right after delivery. Not so lucky this time around and I am stuck in the prediabetes stage.

Patty- You are spot on! No matter how unorthodox one's WOE may seem, if it works for you, then you are doing the right thing. My fasting blood sugar has been hovering around 105-115, which i realize isn't too high, but it's the one reading I struggle with the most. Gave up and ate a cookie before bed last night; reading was 94 this morning, lol. Go figure!

Shannon- I have never tried that particular med, even though it has been offered to me several times. An allergy to sulfa meds keeps me from giving it a go, as there is the possibility I could have a reaction. That med is supposed to work better than metformin, if your issue is fasting numbers and it is supposed to carry less of the GI problems. However, met offers some protection to the kidneys, so both have their ups and downs.

I read an interesting article last night- the author stated that for women, learning to maintain needs to happen prior to weight loss, as maintenance is the real battle. When I think about it, makes total sense to me.

Happy Tuesday, girls! We've got this...and if we don't, we'll just put on our big girl pants, forgive ourselves and move on.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #56  

Well, my fbs and weight was up today and it almost derailed me until I remembered that I had mac and cheese during RM yesterday. I'm sure the sodium didn't help. I don't eat mac and cheese often and I still won't. Planning a better RM today. So I am on Day 4 OP. I'm sure things will be better tomorrow.

DH Part D approved the Invodana, but still can't get it at $200 a month. So will have to think of something else. I will now try to see if I can get him on the 12 month free program.

Have a good day.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #57  

Well, evidently we are all struggling since we don't post when we are. I am going to be honest here and post anyway.

I don't think the CAD/CALP plan will work for me this time. My weight and my fbs is going up and that is not acceptable. The main reason is the Reward Meal. I think I've dieted so long that the RM becomes a binge because I'm trying to get all my carbs in at that meal instead of keeping it balanced.

I am back to (IE) Intuitive Eating. Someone on the CAD/CALP site told me to think about how I ate when I lost the 65 lbs. And I did.

When I married DH and moved to FL, I was thrilled with all the fruit. As we took care of his youngest DGD, her mother didn't want her on junk food and sweets. She was born a month before we married so we took care of her until we moved to SC. I ate fruit, veggies and salads about 95% of the time. I was almost a vegetarian, but not quite because I did eat meat sometimes once a day. I know when I tried vegetarian before I messed up my blood count, but I can eat lintels in place of the meat and get the iron etc that I need. I am going to think in those directions and just shoot for healthy. No real plan. It can't be any worse than what is going on now. Also I'm going to try the Met ER again. I'm thinking maybe I don't eat enough in the evening to take it and most of the time I've had to eat something just to take it. I think when I was on the other that the doc told me to take it with my largest meal which for us is our main meal.

Y'all check in here. We don't have to be perfect to encourage each other.

Have a good day.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #58  
One Meal At A Time

Patty- It's so frustrating sometimes, isn't it? It sounds as if your instincts are telling you IE is the way to go...listen to your gut.

FWIW, my doctor did say FBS and weight might go up, before heading in the down direction when one changes diet and/or exercise. I know my blood pressure will rebound with even the slightest change to my routine.

I'm not sure how you take your met, but for me, I take it with my largest meal, sometimes that's lunch and other times it's dinner. I take it halfway through eating, so the met is my sandwich filling, for lack of a better description.

So, here's my issue right now; I am afraid of being hungry. So tired of hearing people tell me 'hunger won't kill you.' Well, no it won't, but it is damned sure uncomfortable and when you've spent a good portion of your life NOT being hungry, it's enough to make a girl panic, lol.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #59  

My blood sugar is down a bit, but not as long as it should be. I know it takes time once you settle in with your eating. I have been working on reducing portions, which has always been my problem. I'm focusing on eating lower carbs foods, mostly protein and veggies, but smaller portions. I do have carbs occasionally, but I'm watching portions on that too. Weight was up, now starting back down again.

I guess I'm lucky that I handle Met fairly well. I had a bit of nausea when I first started it, and again when it was increased. Now I'm taking it twice a day and the glimiperide when I need it and it's working for me. I take the first Met in the AM before breakfast along with BP meds, and the second one around supper, or shortly after. It was when I was taking it at bedtime that I was waking up during the night nauseated.

Trish, I think you will work this all out. You have done it in the past and you will do it again. I think my problem with CALP is that it would turn my RM into a carb fest, since carbs are a trigger food for me. Also, with diabetes, you have more to think of that just weight loss. What works for a regular person doesn't necessarily work for a diabetic. I have to keep in mind that carbs raise my blood sugar and eat accordingly. There's no getting around it. I get to eat some carbs when I prepare them for DH, and I know which ones are the worst for me. If I can keep the portions very small, I do well.

This is not easy.

Momwithdogs, you should never have to be hungry. Just be sure it's true hunger, not cravings or appetite. The more you eat of filling fruits and vegetables the less hunger you will have. If you can't make it between meals, be sure to have legal snacks on hand to get your through. My body has been used to being stuffed all the time that it's hard for me to accept "satisfied." I don't think I even know what a hunger pains feel like.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #60  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

a quick hello. I have been having trouble getting on the 3FC site, it just takes forever to load. I have some catch up reading to do.
Closed Thread