Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #1  

Question Question about quinoa

Has anyone had problems with it affecting their sugars? I'm looking for a substitute for the jasmine rice I used to eat with stir fry. It has a glycemic load of 19
Lilmissprepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Lilmissprepper. I love quinoa. It is one of the grains they recommend for diabetics. My problem is, I am not satisfied with 1 serving, which is 1/4 cup. I have not been eating it since I began eating low carb. I think it would be a good substitute for jasmine rice because of the protein content. The best thing to do would be to eat it and then test your blood sugar at 1, 2 and 3 hours to see what effect it has. Different carbs effect each of us differently. In the past, I have noticed that carbs don't effect me as bad if I eat them with a protein and some fat.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #3  

1/4 cup cooked or raw? Cooked would be like 1 mouthful lol
Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #4  

Dry. It swells up a lot. The brand I have is Ancient Harvest Traditional, and I think I got it at Walmart. It says, 172 cals, 2.6gm fat, 1 mg sodium, 31gm carb, 3gm fiber and 6 gm protein.

That's a lot of carbs. I usually make it with chicken broth for flavor, and I use a little bit more liquid than it calls for because I don't like it to be crunchy. It's a personal choice. I also let it cook longer than it says....checking closely, until the liquid is absorbed. I like to mix vegetables in it. It fills you up and would probably make you eat less.

EDIT: I accidentally typed Cooked instead of Dry. LOL Wouldn't even be worth making it!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Cauliflower fried rice or even just plain cauliflower rice are good subs. I keep baggies of riced cauliflower in my freezer so I don't have to deal with the mess every time I want some.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Cauliflower fried rice[/url] or even just plain cauliflower rice are good subs. I keep baggies of riced cauliflower in my freezer so I don't have to deal with the mess every time I want some.

OH! I totally forgot about cauliflower rice! I used to make it when I was on Atkins before!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Dry. It swells up a lot. The brand I have is Ancient Harvest Traditional, and I think I got it at Walmart. It says, 172 cals, 2.6gm fat, 1 mg sodium, 31gm carb, 3gm fiber and 6 gm protein.

That's a lot of carbs. I usually make it with chicken broth for flavor, and I use a little bit more liquid than it calls for because I don't like it to be crunchy. It's a personal choice. I also let it cook longer than it says....checking closely, until the liquid is absorbed. I like to mix vegetables in it. It fills you up and would probably make you eat less.

EDIT: I accidentally typed Cooked instead of Dry. LOL Wouldn't even be worth making it!
That's not a bad amount for dry.
I made a salad with tomatoes, olives, cukes, little bit of onion and feta. I cooked 1 cup of dry and added that in. The dressing was 2 TBS lemon juice, 1 minced clove of garlic, 1 TBS red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and 1/4 Cup of olive olive. I've had 2 sides out of it so far and I think there's like 5 more servings in the bowl lol
Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #8  

That salad sounds good.

I grated some cauliflower and froze it but never got around to eating it. DH won't eat any of the substitute foods. He wants the real thing. Never had a weight problem.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:59 PM   #9  

Quote:
That salad sounds good.

I grated some cauliflower and froze it but never got around to eating it. DH won't eat any of the substitute foods. He wants the real thing. Never had a weight problem.
You can freeze it after you grate it? Wouldn't it get too soft to make the 'rice'??
Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmissprepper View Post
You can freeze it after you grate it? Wouldn't it get too soft to make the 'rice'??

I don't know, because I never tried making the rice once I froze it. LOL Someone on this forum told me I could do that when I said that a head of cauliflower makes too much "rice" for one person.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #11  

Quote:
I don't know, because I never tried making the rice once I froze it. LOL Someone on this forum told me I could do that when I said that a head of cauliflower makes too much "rice" for one person.
Well, you can always make mashed if it does lol
Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #12  

I grate it and freeze it raw, then I can just thaw it in the microwave and top with whatever the rest of my meal is (stir fry, dal, curry, etc)

Freezing Raw Shredded Cauliflower
Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #13  

Thanks, Munchy. I think that's where I read about freezing it. I like that forum. I just don't make the cauli rice often because DH wouldn't eat it.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #14  

My fiance loves zucchini noodles, but can't eat cauliflower because of his stomach issues. That's why I bag them up in small baggies - I can throw some rice in the rice cooker and pull out a small bag of cauli-rice for myself.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #15  

I cooked some zucchini noodles with pesto. Really good. Next time I make chicken alfredo I am going to use zucchini noodles with it.