3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   July Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/297444-july-diabetes-prediabetes-support-chat.html)

moonkissed 07-15-2014 09:34 AM

Carol Sue & Trish thanks! That is a great idea to add the taco meat to a salad. I will remember that for next time for sure!

Shannon Congrats :carrot: on the weightloss new low! Also how cool that you got to do an interview for a magazine! That is so neat.

Wannabehealthy 07-15-2014 11:03 AM

Shannon, I subscribe to Health, so I'm hoping to see your interview in a coming issue! How did that interview come about?

All this talk about tacos and taco salads makes me want to make tacos for dinner today. I bought a set of those pans to make taco bowls but I have yet to buy the low carb tortillas. I'm finding that not all stores carry them. It doesn't seem that there's a big demand for them. DH and I both got a high blood pressure spike that we believe was from the packaged taco seasoning so I am planning to try a substitute next time. I think someone gave me a recipe to mix your own spices where you can control the amount of salt. I will have to look in my online recipe file and see if it's there. Last time I tried just mixing salsa with the meat and that didn't do it for me. If nothing else, I might try just adding a small amount of the seasoning, just for the flavor.

Wannabehealthy 07-15-2014 11:09 AM

Saw this in the paper this morning.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/d...a-claims/22545

https://dreamfieldssettlement.com/?g...dwgaAgDn8P8HAQ

I think I bought it once but was not impressed. I don't eat much pasta of any kind. It doesn't spike my blood sugar as badly as bread, especially if I have meatballs or other protein with it.

dgramie 07-15-2014 01:16 PM

Carol sue - I buy low sodium taco seasoning from time to time. I prefer to use cumin and some garlic and a sprinkle of chili powder and throw in a can of diced green chilis
I am finding I don't miss the shells much.
I picked my first ripe tomato today. They are about 2 wks later than normal. Squash is doing great this yr. I have picked 57 off of 5 heels so far this yr. I am excited because my garden didn't produce well last yr. I will have bell peppers till frost.

pattygirl63 07-15-2014 01:24 PM

Carol Sue I just read an article by Dr. Mercola that said not to trust labels.

Today is day 2 OP. I'm in the process of going to Dr. Mercola's website and read some of his articles. Although I can't do the range free and organic foods, I still can learn a lot that I may be able to help with my plan.

Not much else to report today. So I'll just make this a flyby.

Y'all have a really great day.

Shannonsnail 07-15-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5041041)
Shannon, I subscribe to Health, so I'm hoping to see your interview in a coming issue! How did that interview come about?

All this talk about tacos and taco salads makes me want to make tacos for dinner today. I bought a set of those pans to make taco bowls but I have yet to buy the low carb tortillas. I'm finding that not all stores carry them. It doesn't seem that there's a big demand for them. DH and I both got a high blood pressure spike that we believe was from the packaged taco seasoning so I am planning to try a substitute next time. I think someone gave me a recipe to mix your own spices where you can control the amount of salt. I will have to look in my online recipe file and see if it's there. Last time I tried just mixing salsa with the meat and that didn't do it for me. If nothing else, I might try just adding a small amount of the seasoning, just for the flavor.

I just saw a posting from one of my favorite low carb food bloggers about needing female prediabetics to talk to the magazine and sent my contact info, totally wasn't expecting to actually hear from anyone, lol! I just sent over my before and after pics so we'll see!

On the subject of tacos, if you have a Trader Joes, their prepackaged seasoning is all spices. You can also make your own. I just made taco pie last night, shredded mexican beef tacos the night before (I either make it as a salad or make my own tortilla from scratch, wheat free, low carb) and today we ate lunch at Moe's! I love Mexican! Giving up chips has been hard.

FBS was 114 today....I was fasting from like 7 pm til 10 am when I tested, I think my liver dumped bc I had a great day yesterday and was 100 at bedtime.

Wannabehealthy 07-15-2014 02:52 PM

I don't understand that liver dumping. Before I was diabetic, I sometimes went for long periods of time without eating, for various reasons. I would get very hungry to the point of getting shaky, but eventually that would go away. Was that a liver dump?

lotsakids 07-15-2014 06:31 PM

Patti - Skinny girl has a liquid stevia that is small enough to fit in your purse. I carry one with me so that I can use it instead of other sweeteners.

I need to check my bs more regularly - I've been off since returning from our trip to biblequiz nationals.

I did get back on my exercise but not my bs checking :P

Wannabehealthy 07-15-2014 06:58 PM

Hi Donna! Good to see you here. I think I am paranoid about checking my blood sugar and trying trust myself. If I KNOW I've stayed on low carb, I try not to check as often.

Today was such an off plan day! I was good with my eggs this morning and a salad for lunch, but we went out for dinner and I had a Pittsburgh Turkey Sandwich (french fries and cole slaw ON the sandwich) then came home and ate a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup. My husband is having a lot of pain again which he thinks is from the shingles. I keep telling him to go to the doctor because I have a feeling that something else is going on but he says no. I am blaming my poor eating on the stress I'm feeling over him, especially since we just left the funeral home for a family friend who died from cancer. If he would get this checked out it would make me feel a whole lot better.

Liliann 07-15-2014 08:30 PM

Hello Ladies...Hoping I can chime in here..I have been told twice by my medical doctor that am pre-diabetic..Done lab test last month and according to the results, it was at 108.. and that put me at risk for getting it.

Then I check FBS at home kit, have Breeze 2 and its at 132 before dinner tonight.

I had seen my medical doctor Tues morning and now am going to weigh in on thier scale. I gained 4 Lbs...But still holding steady on my 33 Lbs lost so far and do have a long way to go. My doctor pushing me on avoiding all breads/rolls,white and wheat, pasta, rice, all potatoes..and that leaves me on my new foods staples on fruits,veggies and proteins...

I had been eating wheat bagels, fiber one that I think hinders my gain and spike on my sugar level at home. Tuesday I did good, ate fruits and dinner sauages w green peppers!!

I am here to gain knowlege and offer moral support to beat the diabetes ,,which I am strongly changing my food items more healthier now. I am not tracking/dieting per say..am not a journling type..so am eating when am hungry..of fruits,veggies and proteins.

Well, I will check in later..Been reading all of your posts and you all sounds nice. I am home daily, but will do my best on posting more on this thread..

Thank you for listening and looking forward to beat this ...Have a nice Wednesday..

Shannonsnail 07-15-2014 10:03 PM

:welcome: Liliann! I, too, am prediabetic. I have improved my glucose results through frequent home testing. I have found that cutting out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn and sugared items works for me. At first I did not think I could give those up but discovered once I did my cravings lessened and those foods no longer called to me like they once did. I'm almost 4 months into changing my diet and I still slip up and get distracted by carbs but mostly I do pretty good. I do not count anything and have lost 31 lbs so far. We look forward to hearing more from you!

Shannonsnail 07-15-2014 10:08 PM

I gotta tell ya'll I'm dying over here! We are still waiting to hear back from the sellers on our offer. My agent emailed me today around 4:30 and said their agent said we would hear tonight. It's 10 pm and nothing. Grrr, hate waiting!!

Liliann 07-16-2014 06:53 AM

Shannon...Thanks for the welcome! Good luck with your home buying..hoping the deal goes well.

My morning fbs is 123..

Have a great day all..Will check in later..

moonkissed 07-16-2014 07:49 AM

My FBS was 131 this morning which honestly is way better then I was imagining. I almost didn't check because I was so worried it would be high. I had a pizza binge last night :( Luckily I was smart enough to get thin crust with lots of veggies so that helped somewhat I guess. If I didn't stuff myself until I was sick...

I am so upset at myself. I am never going to lose this weight if I keep having slip up binges. It is like if food is involved my head shuts off and all I can think about is stuffing my face.

But today will be better! I am not giving up. I can only learn from my mistakes and try harder.

Wannabehealthy 07-16-2014 08:42 AM

Welcome, Liliann! Good to see you here. This can be a tough road, but you can do it!

Moonkissed, we have all made the same mistakes. Pizza is one of my worst foods and we used to have pizza often. DH still has it, but the closest I get is to pull the cheese and toppings off one slice and eat that, even though, being a bread lover, the crust is the best part. That's my problem with carbs, too, once I start eating them I stuff myself. As you start eating more low carb foods the call of the carbs will become more distant. I have had issues the past couple days but I think once I get back to eating my veggies things will improve. I too went through a period when I didn't test because I didn't want to see the high number, but guess what...even if you don't see it, it's still there, and it's still doing irreversible damage to your body. So make sure to test when you think you aren't doing well. It will show you the importance of healthy eating. Just forget the pizza binge and move on!