April Chat

You're on Page 2 of 20
Go to
  • I've had two good days in a row and am happy about that.

Today I was at a playdate and another mom offered me a twizzler and I ate it before I even thought about what it was....oops! In the South we often do things to be pleasant (like accepting a gift of food) just out of habit so I'm not beating myself up. I'm one of those people who can completely give up on a diet (or other habit change) just because I had one bad day....I often expect perfection and if I don't achieve it, just give up to avoid disappointment. I'm trying to change that mentality and see these changes as long term vs "need to lose weight right now" and give myself more grace when I slip up so I don't fall into giving up.

I'm also really happy my cravings for junk food (chips, ice cream, candy) seem to have gone into hiding. Since I have binge eating disorder I can't imagine they will stay in hiding for too long but it's been nice.

Tomorrow I am heading out of town after lunch to take my daughter to visit my mom. This will be a real test of my self control. My mom and I disagree quite significantly on diet. We are polar opposites particularly in regards to meat/fat. That would be fine except my mom cannot have a conversation without bringing up the topic of food and how her way of eating is "right" and anyone else's is wrong. This happens no matter the subject of conversation but we will eat several times while I'm there so it's inevitable that this will occur. Usually when this happens it burns me up so bad I turn to food out of frustration. I'd like to not go off plan even if I turn to food so I will pack several snacks, lol. I love my mom but I dread spending time with her bc we always end up in some irritating discussion about diet. This has gone on my entire life. She did recently lose about 30 lbs (she was just barely on the high end to start with) so it has been worse lately.
  • Shannon you are good, I am not good at prepping food, plus there are so many of us there is definitely no need to separate anything. I shop at Aldi also Love that store
  • I just couldn't wait to share with y'all my results of just 2 days on Atkins Induction. I have a new low weight of 225.4 and a new low fbs of 113 mg. I am so very excited about how this is working.

I know this is probably water weight, but I didn't do this good with fluid pills. And one of the reasons that I never stayed with Atkins in the past is that it ha never worked this good for me in the past. I will continue what I am doing the rest of the week and I just might do the second to see how good I can do in the two weeks. This has become an exciting challenge for me which is just the motivation that I needed. They say you can (not will) lose 15 lbs in the 2 week Induction. I don't really care whether I lose the 15 lb, I'm just curious as to how good this will work if I do it "by the book". And my tummy is almot back to normal.

Carol Sue You are doing good. I heard of someone who eats this way and allows themselves what they now call "cheat" days. We can really do this.

He chickies we all have found what works for us and we can and will do this.

Rennie, Shannon, Ruthie and Fatmad and lurkers
  • Great job Trish!!
  • Trish that's great for you ... Keep up the good work

Shannon

I had another up of .4 to 163.6 ... my fault for sure just water (sodium from eating bacon last night ). Got to the gym though did 3.81 miles and burned 473 calories feeling good
  • Approximately 3 hrs after I ate, I checked bs and it was 110 mg. Atkins is definitely the way to eat for me. This is absolutely fantastic. Doc had told me that when I got the fbs #s right then we would work on the post meal readings. With Atkins way of eating, I won't have to worry about that as it will automatically be correcte.

I had 2 eggs this morning with 1/2 avocado and 3 grape tomatoes and 2 sl bacon.

Lunch was 1 cod fish fillet, a small salad with mayo and 1/2 c asparagus.

Not sure what I will have later as tonight is Bible study at 7 pm so may just have a couple slices of deli turkey breast and a sl of cheese. I tear the cheese in half and wrap a slice of turkey breast around each half.

Have to go by Walmart a few blocks up from the church before coming home so I may have 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil when I get home. However, I am allowed some Atkins food on Induction and may pick something up. An Atkins shake sure sounds good for something quick without a lot of fuss.

Any way just wanted to share how good this is working for me.

Carol Sue How are you doing today?

Rennie .4 up isn't too bad. Water should help get rid of it really quick.

Shannon I am so proud of you for doing this at your age. You are so smart.

OK, I got to go get dressed. Catch y'all later.
  • Trish I am so glad your tummy is starting to feel better, and I'm excited about your loss and FBG! I think most diets will give you fluid loss first, but a loss is a loss in my book. You are doing great!

I heard the when you're trying to correct your blood sugar, FBG is the last to go down to normal. So if you are having good FBG then your post-prandial reading will automatically be good, too. Don't take that as gospel. It's just something I heard. Back when my A1c was in the 6 range my FBG was still not good. It was in the 120s. But overall, my average was good enough to give me a good A1c. My doc is pleased as long as I stay under 7.

I was up 1 lb this morning. The only thing I can say is that I didn't get weighed until after breakfast because I forgot. I did eat more than usual yesterday, but it was not carb. I roasted a chicken, and it was so good I did eat a lot.

I don't believe in cheat days because I don't consider anything a cheat. This is just my new way of eating. I follow low carb but that doesn't mean I will never eat a carb. They say you are doing good if you follow your eating plan 90 % of the time. I know I cannot go the rest of my life never eating a carb again, but it will be controlled eating, not a binge, and I will go right back to plan.

This morning my FBG was 139. Not perfect, but so much better than the 200's I was having. I am still testing out this new med. This morning, I did not take it. I wanted to see how my glucose would be without it. I ate chicken salad for breadfast, (leftover from that delicious roast chicken), a salad with some tuna fish in it for lunch. I tested 3 times thoughout the day and I did not go over 170, even after eating. I thought that was pretty good for not taking the pill. I did take it before dinner though because it's a bigger meal. DH wanted spaghetti. I think it was another of his attempts at sabotage. I made the spaghetti and I ate 6 meatballs with some sauce and some sugar snap peas. There was a lot of pasta left over so it went down the disposal. He didn't mention that I didn't eat it.

After 33 years of marriage I got DH to eat spinach today. LOL He will never eat it cooked because he said it looks like seaweed, but he has never eaten the raw leaf spinach either. Today when I was making my salad I was mixing the spinach leaves with iceberg lettuce. I asked him if he wanted a salad and he did, so I just gave him some of the greens from my bowl, spinach and all. He knew it was in there. He said it just tastes like lettuce. He had to live to 71 before eating it. LOL

I had another good workout today. 35 minutes. I warmed up and cooled down on the treadmill and did intervals on the elliptical. Doing this, I'm getting my heart rate up higher than I usually do. I get a little scared because I can feel my heart beating harder, but the cardiologist wants me to exercise and he never told me to take it easy. I think if there were any problems I would get shortness of breath, and I'm not getting any. I feel great. I had so much energy I came up and cleaned the dining room and kitchen. Everything is gleaming!

Shannon - It's very possible that your cravings will stay gone, even though you have a tendancy to binge. I am, or should I saw, was the same way. In the past when I made pasta I would always cook too much and I would keep eating til it was gone. It was the same with bread. We like to buy Italian or French bread and I would start eating it with tons of butter, and not stop til it was gone. I have not had bread since I got my high A1c results, about 2 weeks ago. I am not craving it at all, but the best thing I can do is stay away from it. I know the day is going to come when a sandwich will be sitting in front of me. I just pray that by that time I will be able to eat it and stop. If you do eat some of your trigger foods, stop after a couple bites. Don't let it turn into a binge. You will be so pleased with yourself!

Rennie - Do you get your calories burned from the read-out on the treadmill? Mine has that but I don't pay attention to it.
  • Carol Sue Great job ditching the left over pasta down the disposal. I don't like throwing food out but I have done that myself to keep myself from caving. I also like your idea of not having cheat days and the 90% on plan.

I still like Dana Carpendar's idea of once in a while you can have a planned carby meal. I mainly want to use Atkins to get my cravings under control and to get into the habit of eat 90% low carb meals and snacks. I just have to get it working for me 100% of the time however I have to even if it is 90% low carb with leeway to eat something I really want.

Tonight at church there is a lady who makes sweets for us to snack on. I have made it a habit to not eat anything. Only because I'm afraid of getting in the habit. I would love to get to the place that I am eating low carb so well, that if I want to taste something I can do it without it derailing me. However, I know that I have a long way to go to get that place.

I went over on my carbs today to 26 g instead of 20 g, but from what I read on Atkins.com, I think that is okay if you average out to 20g a day during a one week period. I added a little more veggies today and ate too many tomatoes. I forgot they have more carbs, but I had already eat them. I did eat an Atkins snack bar when I got home. I am curious to see how it affects the fbs. And I will check my bs before I go to bed to see if it raised it. I had 1207 calories, 26 g carbs and 15 g fiber. Sodium is a little high, but hopefully the water will wash it out. Water and tea have become my drink these days. Seem to have lost my desire for coffee. IDK why.

Catch y'all tomorrow
  • For those of you interested in LC/moderate protein PANCAKES without buying lots of special ingredients...

Look for Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Pancake mix (near Bob's and GF products in my market) be sure to get SF (inexpensive at $3.99 a box.) I just use the 1/4 cup mix and water (I omit oil and egg without a problem). 80 cals, 5 net carbs/11 g protein. Sometimes I add flaxseed for a little extra.

I use Walden Farms syrups (maple or blueberry) which are 0 fat/0 carb/0 sugar products. Makes a GREAT easy low carb, low cal, low fat, moderate protein breakfast item!
  • Trish, the first 12-14lbs is supposed to be water but like Carol Sue said a loss is a loss and it does show and make a difference, if for nothing else moral It make the heart and mind happy and gives the incentive push to keep on pushing on. You are doing great and keep posting the meals. I copied yesterdays since I need to go grocery shopping How do you prepare your asparagus? Trish it's sad, I drink enough water some days to float away others I just get my 4 bottles in which is 67.6 ozs and I still have issues. My wedding ring will slide off my finger if I'm not careful and the scale/water weight still don't cooperate

Carol Sue, I like the sound of this --> I heard the when you're trying to correct your blood sugar, FBG is the last to go down to normal. So if you are having good FBG then your post-prandial reading will automatically be good, too. I just have to keep my FBS in check Carol Sue, on not eating the pasta YOU LOL on the spinach and your husband. My husband just ate pumpkin pie this year for the first time. I have made it forever. He said he didn't like it but had never ever tried it. He will now get upset if the kids eat most of it and he has only had one slice so I make two or three so my daughter can take one home My son won't eat cooked spinach but he will put a ton of it raw into his smoothies Great job on the treadmill My heart rate got up to 156 yesterday on the treadmill. I didn't feel bad so I keep going. The higher the incline the higher the heart rate for me. Good for you on the bread. I'm a bread and butter person also. No I get my calories burned from Nike+. There is a censor in my shoe that connects wirelessly to my phone so when I start the treadmill I activate the censor. It took me a while to calibrate it but it's done now so my pace/distance are monitored.

Thanks Laurie, I've bought the pancake mix before but was afraid to try the syrup. Is it good? I didn't like the WF salad dressings or the bbq sauce because it had a vinegary taste to me. So just wondering about the syrup. I do like the agave maple syrup though, but it's hard to find.
  • Quote: Rennie, I'm not gonna lie, the products recommended on that blog are pricey but I really trust the author's opinion on brands. When I had that dr appt in Dec I felt hopeless and was doing alot of online research when I stumbled across All Day I Dream About Food. I love to bake and the thought of not baking or only baking with aspartame or splenda really disheartened me. I cannot tolerate aspartame. It gives me migraines, even the amount in a breath mint. And splenda I can only tolerate in small amounts, like in tea or coffee. So, when I found her blog and saw that her recipes were more focused on other substitutes I got hooked. The more I read the more I felt comfortable with her recommendations. I've also emailed with her several times. Anyway, I did a massive purchase to stock my pantry. It was expensive but now I always have what I need when a recipe pops up that appeals to me. I bought my ingredients in bulk to lower my cost and ordered online bc we get free shipping with amazon so I think the BRM coconut flour was around $8 and some change per pound. Not cheap but maybe less than at a local shop.
    Thanks Shannon for sharing. I buy from Amazon too so it is nice to know I could get coconut flour from there economically. My DH loves sweets and I could bake with that. I use Stevia for my sweetener but many times I see recipes that need something with it. I also buy some things from Aldi's. We are on Social Security and of course that limits us as to what we can purchase. He and I are both working at getting our FBS under control. So this would be helpful for us.
  • Rennie - Talk about high tech! LOL (the Nike+) I didn't even know that was available. My phone is a Tracfone. No smart phone!

When I was younger, I used to get my heart rate into the 140's. I'm almost embarassed to say what it is now, but then I'm a 68 year old heart patient. My resting heart rate is low, around 55, because of my heart meds. I used to exercise with my heart rate in the 80's, but now with the intervals it goes into the 90's. Probably not a lot of calorie burn, but good health benefits, just the same. I still have 2 leaky heart valves but the doc said unless I get shortness of breath, they are ok.

I have heard the FBG rule several times, and I think it applies to type2 only. I have been checking my BG 5 times a day for the past 4 days. I have a chart that shows how avg bg compares to A1c. My avg for 4 days is 156. 154 equals an A1c of 7. My average for yesterday was 142, so my avg bg IS going down, slowly. When I had my bloodwork, A1c was 9.7, so I'd say I've made a big improvement and I'm happy with that. I still didn't lose the 1 lb I gained, but I am going to cut back a little on my eating. I think I have been eating more to make sure I don't get a low. I was afraid this new med was going to make me do that, even unconciously.

This morning my FBG was 185, up considerably from yesterdays 139. But at bedtime I ate a few of my high fiber crackers to try to get in some fiber and I think that was a mistake. Maybe I should eat them earlier in the day with some other food. The fiber helped in other ways, but I don't think bedtime is the time to eat it. I think the idea of a bedtime snack may be beneficial for others, but not for me. It has never seemed to help anything.

Trish
    , I agree that you should get your low carb diet firmly in place before you start adding a carby meal here and there. As you continue to eat low carb, you might get to the point that those sweets at church really don't interest you. I remember as a kid I loved sweets. It was as an adult that they started to taste sickeningly sweet to me. Sometimes I get the chills just looking at donuts my husband buys. I can handle a bite now and then, especially if I'm baking cookies and want to see how they turned out. But I would never binge on sweets. I have never lost my taste for chocolate though, but I still can't eat a lot of it. I quit keeping it in the house. Occasionally I will buy a single bar at the checkout, but mostly I avoid it.

I would like to cut my carbs back little more, but I eat so many veggies. According to Fitday, other things have small amounts of carbs, too, things you wouldn't expect. I average around 30-35 gm per day. I will have to look over the past couple days and see where I can cut about 5 of them.

JLUS I might look into the Maple Grove Pancake mix once I feel I can eat a little more carb without any damage. It will be easier for me than buying a lot of different ingredients to make them from scratch. I wonder if you could make waffles from it, too? If so, I could add a little vanilla whey protein to it for more protein. See how easily my mind can be swayed in the direction of carbs? LOL

Ruthie? How ya doing?

Mad? Where are you hiding?

Shannon? Still doing good?

Lurkers? Join in! The more the merrier!
  • Shannon I just re-read your post from the first or just read it I guess I must have missed it some how. First off glad you didn't let the twizzler through you off. I thing didn't lead to another, great NSV Good for you on the junk food cravings On the subject of Mom's. My Mom gave me major praise the last time she was here. Even went a little overboard in my opinion but that what she does about everything. She is super thin and I mean super thin and always has been. She has talked about my weight for years, even laughed at me when she saw me getting dressed once. I was supposed to go up to VA a week ago but changed my mind. She told me I had planned for us to go to Red Lobster for dinner and then to Ihop for breakfast ... I told her you are trying to make me gain every pound I loss back in two days, she just laughed. I don't talk about food or diet with her or health for that matter. She doesn't have a positive attitude about those subjects in my opinion. Hope your visit went well and sorry I missed your post earlier.

Carol Sue, I've had the shoes for 3 years actually bought them because they were the last pair on sale. Last year I was reading something and was saying I needed to get that device since it goes in your sneaker, no thoughts. My son picked up the shoe and said Mom you already have the shoes, so I went to the Apple store and bought the thing to put in the hole that's under the insole of the shoe. Funny huh Nike has every type of fitness thing you can think of and it all cost more than I am willing to pay. I even looked on ebay for a new pair of sneakers and I think the least expensive was $90. I'm not paying $90 for a sneaker. So the ones I have are fine What kind of high fiber crackers do you have? And good job on your A1c coming down, that's great I think a protein or a piece of dark chocolate is good for a quick bedtime snack, only my opinion though. I have had a cheese stick or laughing cow or a dove chocolate in the evening when I just want something

Laurie, I actually have a box of the pancake mix in the pantry, didn't realize it until I started preparing the grocery list and Carol Sue it says Pancake & Waffle mix so yes you can make your waffles
  • Good Morning Ladies,

My weight and my fbs stayed the same today. So the Atkins bar I ate last night didn't hurt either one. In fact, I checked my bs last night before I went to bed and it was 109 3 hrs after eating it. The bars will be put in my purse for emergencies only. Funny thing is that I could have eaten just a few bites of it and been perfectly satisfied. I did got 1 pkg of 4 Atkins shakes to drink on Sunday morning before I go to church since we always come home an eat breakfast after. I made DH and my fish meal yesterday and just made the statement in passing that "this is a low carb/Atkins meal". While at the store last night, I asked him what he wanted to eat differently today. He wanted shrimp scampi. I make mine with just butter, garlic, onion and parsley flakes. I was excited that he picked something we both could have low carb. Oh BTW his fbs is down to 122 the lat 2 times he checked it. He isn't good at doing everyday checks. I think he sees that I'm really working at it and the results we are getting. His first wife died from loads of complications because of diabetes. He always felt she didin't work hard enough to lose weight and get it under control. One of my promises I made to him before we married was I would work at getting it under control. However, we have learned a lot since she died and one thing we've learned is that the diet they gave her back then causes you to gain weight and doesn't lower bs. Also she had some sort of pancreas disease and we've decided that she may not have been able to do any better than she did. She was the only one of the 3 kids in her family to have the weight problems she had all of her life.

It does help to have Tony doing this with me. He didn't ever understand the way I eat on Atkins/low carbing, but now he says major results with the bs and as my doc always says 'the numbers don't lie".

Rennie Because my plans change on my food plan during the day because I do this Intuitively, I like to have an idea of what I'm going to eat, but I try to satisfy my hunger and not have to stick to a plan. So let me give you an idea of how I plan my meals.

Breakfast - I always have eggs with either bacon or sausage and a slice of cheese &/or some avocado. When my stomach gets back to normal, I will probably use canned tomato and avocado to make sort of a guacamole to make the avocado go farther and just put that on top of my cooked eggs.

Lunches - is protein (meat, fist etc), a small salad (about 1.5 to 2 c). I either use mayo with 0 sugar/carbs and a low carb veggie like broccoli, greens of some kind or cabbage or cauliflower. I don't usually eat cauliflower because DH eats a whole package once a day. But doing Atkins, I decided I could make a mock potato salad with it mashed and put in fridge to eat off of during the day and be OP.

Dinner - is light because being retired and home all day, our main meal as at lunch. So I have some sort of protein with a low carb veggie.

Later at night for snacks I usually eat a lowcarb deli sandwich meat or sausage (I found a Turkey bites in the jerky part of the store and tried them last night. They were good but pricey.) I will look for them at Aldi's next time I go as they would be good for a go bag or to eat on trips when traveling. Sometimes I scramble a couple of eggs for a snack. Just anything that is easy and quick. Sometimes I add what I call a finger salad like radishes, cherry/grape tomatoes, celery or whatever with it.

I hope this helps.

Carol Sue So glad you are doing good with the meds and experimenting to see how it works for you.

I do know that some of this is water, but since I've been losing for 3 months, I don't expect a lot of water loss. I am just thankful that it is going down. I grabbed a couple slices of the turkey meat and a sl of swiss cheese last night before we went to church and I think I can't eat swiss cheese. I felt so bad at church and I was so miserable. I went because a friend was supposed to go who hadn't been to our church but once before and I didn't want her to feel lost. She didn't show up because we don't have a nursery for small groups and she had her grandson. I think I would have stayed home if I had known ahead of time. Once the class was over and I got up and walked around and could belch good, I was fine. So we went to Walmart real quick to get the few things we needed and came home.

My craving for sweets, junk has left me. One of the things that I love about low carbing and my ankles were not swollen this morning. Like you Shannon I'm going to enjoy no cravings as long as I can and I hope we can do without them for quite a while.

Well, I haven't eat breakfast yet and I'm getting hungry so I will go for now and catch you ladies later.

Have blessed day.
  • Trish what brand of mayonnaise do you buy? That mock potato salad is delicious. I put green pepper, onion, celery, and relish in it. I guess I could boil some eggs and put the egg white in it also. I love egg salad with just the yolks Thanks it does. I wrote it down Which Atkins bars did you buy? I the peanut butter granola bar, not grainy to me so I can eat it. And the triple chocolate bar pretty good. I signed up for the Atkins something and they sent those to me free to try along with another one but I don't remember the name.