New trying to not eat sugars or white products. Need help

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • "I am following what my doctor has advised me to do. Because I KNOW I am a sugar addict. As the day nears an end at work I am thinking about where I am gonna stop and what I am gonna buy."

From my own experience, i would say that this feeling is because your blood sugar levels are low and you need to eat something. You should have something to eat to take the edge of this hungry feeling so you can get home and eat properly, without suffering or risking caving in.

When i go to the city, i sometimes take a bag with a few pieces of fruit, a vegemite sandwich on wholegrain. Or a banana sandwich is also good.

The latter is good if you are really hungry and/or you know its a while before you can eat properly and the fruit is good if you are just a little bit hungry or bored. You can leave the butter off the banana sandwich if you want to keep the calories right down.
  • Pattience
    Thanks for the ideas. One thing that I find helps me is grapes. If I have a bowl of grapes waiting for me at home I am fine.

My doc says they have lots of natural sugar but you can not eat as many grapes as some junk foods. You will fill up faster.

Right now she just wants me to concentrate on not eating sugar added to foods. Natural sugars she says are fine for me, as I do not have diabetes.

I do also eat nuts almonds mostly.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I DO NOT NEED SUGAR TO SURVIVE.....
  • Hi Everyone
    I am diabetic and since becoming diabetic I have cut down all sugar. The only thing is, I eat a lot of wholemeal bread, and I am wondering what to eat instead
  • Wholemeal bread is not sugar. Neither is potato or pasta. These are complex carbohydrates and not sugars - just clarifying.

I"ve gone back over this a few times, adding things in so its start to read a bit weird. I hope you can follow it if you are interested in reading it.

I find it a bit problematic that people have started to refer to carbs as sugars. The main sugar that is the problem is refined sugar. The sugar in fruit isn't really a problem except for people who have problem digesting fructose. A lot of bought smoothies i've noticed have added glycerine and things like that. As far as i'm concerned, its no better than ordinary cane sugar. And honey isn't either. Yes honey has a few vitamins in it, but adding it to my natural yoghurt makes me want more. So i don't eat honey even though it is one of the earths most wonderful foods taste wise. But i do not regard it as any better than white or raw or brown sugar.

There are complex carbs and simple carbs and its only the simple carbs that are sugars. Sugars break down in the body much faster than complex carbs. But the sugars that are making most people fat are basically refined sugars that are added to foods in great quantities like ice-cream, soft drinks, cakes and biscuits and so on.

Anything that is very refined lacks nutrients so its not so good for us and tends to last less long in the body which is why it plays havoc with our appetites.

Pasta is made from durum wheat, white pasta made from durum wheat is not on the same plain nutritionally as white bread. It has a lower GI.

With regards to rice, basmati rice has a lower GI than brown rice and other short grain rices.

If people say they can't control their pasta and bread intake then i guess i have to live with that notion.

For myself, since i wrote my first post on this thread, i have grown in my confidence that i can and probably should give up eating sweets for my whole life if possible, except as a rare exception as mentioned previously. I would still probably find those situations a bit risky. So i'm playing it as i go along. At the least, i'm thinking two years to rehabituate myself to a no sugar diet is probably a sort of minimum i need to stabilise my current diet and eating style.

I feel sorry for anyone who feels they have to give up pasta and bread and i also feel sorry for myself that i can't control my sugar intake. But then i'm a vegetarian and i would be in big strife if i couldn't eat pasta and bread.

Nuts and oils, even the goods fats, are very high in calories, and if I'm in binge mode its as easy to binge on nuts as on sweets. We have to be careful with these foods too. It doesn't take much avocado to get you fat if you are not careful. I manage my nut quantity by including it in salads but not eating them by the handful or as snacks. I am particularly loose with raw peanuts which i adore. I will eat them till my stomach will burst but i have to get to the bottom of the packet. And only then i seem to be able to stop.
  • Quote: I am diabetic and since becoming diabetic I have cut down all sugar. The only thing is, I eat a lot of wholemeal bread, and I am wondering what to eat instead
    Linda sorry i didn't reply to you before.

Well it depends, how do you eat your bread and why wholemeal? Have you tried different breads. Tehre are lot of good breads out there. Have you tried pumpernickel bread, rye bread, wholegrain, breads made with spelt flour.

I have to avoid raisin bread even if its wholemeal which doesn't taste so great anyway as i can eat a whole packet of raisin bread.

But beyond breads, for lunch i make a bean salad. check out my blog for some salad recipes. start from the end and look just for the salad recipes. Its basically one salad which i vary around a bit.

Ok, in summary it contains
    1/2 - 1 cup of canned or cooked beans
    2-3 types of vegetable typically 1 diced tomato and 1 finely grated carrot or small beetroot but can be anything. My last one contained 1. 5 cups of coleslaw mix from a packet (without the mayo).
    5 walnut halves broken up a bit (equivalent of other nuts or seeds should be fine)
    about 50g crumbled fetta cheese
    2-3 tsp of salad dressing made with half and half of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
    pinch salt
    ground black pepper

YOu can add other things like:
    1tbsp finely chopped onion
    fresh green herbs
    garlic to your dressing

it makes 2 to 2.5 cups of salad and is a substantial but quite low calorie meal.

Its nice with brown lentils or beans or chickpeas.

Beans are high in protein. And low calorie food. Good for diabetics.
  • Quote: Wholemeal bread is not sugar. Neither is potato or pasta. These are complex carbohydrates and not sugars - just clarifying.

I find it a bit problematic that people have started to refer to carbs as sugars. The main sugar that is the problem is refined sugar. The sugar in fruit isn't really a problem except for people who have problem digesting fructose. A lot of bought smoothies i've noticed have added glycerine and things like that. As far as i'm concerned, its no better than ordinary cane sugar. And honey isn't either. Yes honey has a few vitamins in it, but adding it to my natural yoghurt makes me want more. So i don't eat honey even though it is one of the earths most wonderful foods taste wise. But i do not regard it as any better than white or raw or brown sugar.

There are complex carbs and simple carbs and its only the simple carbs that are sugars. Sugars break down in the body much faster than complex carbs. But the sugars that are making most people fat are basically refined sugars that are added to foods in great quantities like ice-cream, soft drinks, cakes and biscuits and so on.

Anything that is very refined lacks nutrients so its not so good for us and tends to last less long in the body which is why it plays havoc with our appetites.

Pasta is made from durum wheat, white pasta made from durum wheat is not on the same plain nutritionally as white bread. It has a lower GI.

With regards to rice, basmati rice has a lower GI than brown rice and other short grain rices.

If people say they can't control their pasta and bread intake then i guess i have to live with that notion.

For myself, since i wrote my first post on this thread, i have grown in my confidence that i can and probably should give up eating sweets for my whole life if possible, except as a rare exception as mentioned previously. I would still probably find those situations a bit risky. So i'm playing it as i go along. At the least, i'm thinking two years to rehabituate myself to a no sugar diet is probably a sort of minimum i need to stabilise my current diet and eating style.

I feel sorry for anyone who feels they have to give up pasta and bread and i also feel sorry for myself that i can't control my sugar intake. But then i'm a vegetarian and i would be in big strife if i couldn't eat pasta and bread.
    Refined flour and white rice and (pasta too) may not be technically sugars--aka sucrose-- but they are not very nutritious and they spike blood sugar & insulin leading to hunger. For many many people. If I may ask, where are you getting your information about glycemic index? It doesn't sound accurate, or if it is, the difference in blood sugar effects is likely negligible.
    Agreed that the refined sugar junk foods are the biggest problem.

I know many happy vegetarians who don't touch pasta, rice, or wheat flour. For me, the fewer starchy or sweet things I eat, the more satisfied I feel. I'm particularly sensitive to carbs so even a banana will leave me hungry for another one pretty quickly. This is very common among very overweight people. I don't miss these things at all as there are so many wonderful foods that don't trigger cravings or start up my insulin-glucose roller coaster.

I assure you there's nothing to feel sorry about for us recovering carbaholics
  • Quote: Beans are high in protein. And low calorie food. Good for diabetics.
    I find blanket statements like this troubling unless made by a Certified Diabetes Educator or Dietician. They know that there is enormous variation in what is appropriate for a specific person. It depends on whether the diabetes is type 1 or 2, whether someone is controlling blood sugar with diet, pills, or insulin, to name a few variables.
  • interesting reading
    Everyone reacts to sugar different. I for one know I can't eat white pasta, white rice or white bread. But I can eat wheat bread and pasta, and brown rice (which I love). Sweet potato are great also.

When I say I am thinking about what I am going to get after work. It can be anytime during the day. Even right after eating a healthy lunch. Brown rice and beans or greek yogurt and fruit and nuts. I make it myself so there is no added sugar.

As far as nuts go I measure those out also. I follow the WW pt system so I can have some if I want some.

I am just glad to see that there are many other people that it affects the same way. I don't feel like it is just me.
  • It's Not Easy To Stop A Sugar Addiction
    I'm on a low sugar/low carb eating plan. As soon as I get hungry, I look for something sweet.

I've been filling up with food with fat because it seems to help. Examples are avocado on a salad and Kashi nut bars (5 grams of sugar).

I also try to find Greek yogurt without fruit and add a small amount of strawberries or pineapple.
  • Blanket statements about nutrition are just not enough knowledge, experience. Everyone's body is unique and does not process food in the same way. I can usually have a 1/2 cup of whole grain pasta or brown rice or a slice of pumpernickel as the only starchy carb at a meal. If I can keep myself to a small amount, I don't usually get the tremendous cravings for more. And I have to have a good amount of protein at the same time.

I have gotten away from eating any carbs like that though. I'd rather get my carb from a small baked potato or other starchy vegetable or beans. More vitamins and minerals and less processed. I can't eat more than 1/2 cup of beans either without craving more.

I would like to hear what people eat at meals. I am more interested in stable sugar levels and nutrition than losing weight quickly.
  • Quote: Refined flour and white rice and (pasta too) may not be technically sugars--aka sucrose-- but they are not very nutritious and they spike blood sugar & insulin leading to hunger. For many many people. If I may ask, where are you getting your information about glycemic index? It doesn't sound accurate, or if it is, the difference in blood sugar effects is likely negligible.
    Agreed that the refined sugar junk foods are the biggest problem.

I know many happy vegetarians who don't touch pasta, rice, or wheat flour. For me, the fewer starchy or sweet things I eat, the more satisfied I feel. I'm particularly sensitive to carbs so even a banana will leave me hungry for another one pretty quickly. This is very common among very overweight people. I don't miss these things at all as there are so many wonderful foods that don't trigger cravings or start up my insulin-glucose roller coaster.

I assure you there's nothing to feel sorry about for us recovering carbaholics
    My views on rice and pasta and bread are the mainstream views of dieticians and scientists in this country. Taht's where i take my advice from for the most part. I have parted ways with some of them on the point about low fat dairy. I think sacrificing the taste of whole foods is a mistake. And as is often pointed now, the fat has been replaces with sugar.

re my info about the GI, there was a website i used to read from sydney university a few years ago. That's where i got the info that pasta and basmati rice are not so terrible. Where do you get your info on it from?

I also learnt about GI loading, which is the GI of a whole meal. so you can lower the effect of pasta by loading the dish up with vegies which has lots of fibre in it.

A pasta dish doesn't make me crave food. I'm wondering if people who crave pasta make it so its loaded with cream and melty cheese and salt.

I would not be a happy vegetarian if i had to go gluten free or rice free. I don't buy into a lot of staff about all those allergies and things. I love beans but i don't want to eat only beans. I hate soy, all those horrid processed patties they sell. tempeh is gross. I like tofu but its not so easy to cook well. I like food from different nationalities and tend to cook meals in traditional ways rather than buying processed things or going with health fads. The taste of food matters a lot to me. I mean i've eaten enough coconut oil to know its gross even if it is traditional in south india. Coconut creme on the other hand is yummy but its high calorie so you can't pig out on it either but as part of a meal with vegies and rice or noodles its good for me.
  • Quote: I find blanket statements like this troubling unless made by a Certified Diabetes Educator or Dietician. They know that there is enormous variation in what is appropriate for a specific person. It depends on whether the diabetes is type 1 or 2, whether someone is controlling blood sugar with diet, pills, or insulin, to name a few variables.
    diabetic Australia advocates beans.

THe highness of the protein is compared with other vegetables and you can see the numbers on mfp. Obviously its not high as in fish or meat or eggs. But its a high protein food.

Diabetics Australia does not advocate the type of high protein diet to the exclusion of carbs as we see so much of on this site. Neither does mainstream medical opinion as far as I'm aware.

Even the paleo diet is based on the myth that humans haven't evolved to eat vegetables and grains. Not so long ago there was a news item that said they had evidence that man made a genetic change around the time they went into cultivation and it occurred to me this morning that we probably went into cultivating grains because we found we could eat them after this genetic mutation. I mean if you think about it, it doesn't make sense that we would start growing grains if we weren't able to access their nutrients. I mean we don't eat grass even though its easy to grow. the reason we don't eat it is because we can't access their nutrients.
  • Kris i am also interested in losing weight slowly and keeping it off for life. I don't have a insulin resistance but today i was reading about leptin resistance which was interesting, though they said they really do not know enough yet about how insulin and leptin and these hormones work.

But one interesting piece of news was that it is leptin that gets triggered by fasting levels. so now i think that's probably what happens when i lose too much weight too quickly as in the past. they say its whats responsible for the way we all tend to put it all back on again quite quickly.

Because of this rebound effect that i've also noticed, i am trying to be steady this time and not be in a big hurry, though now that i've got to this weight, and need to stop and stabilise a bit, i feel good to do it at this weight. But i know i don't want to stay here. But rather than try to get to my lowest weight as i have in the past at 55kg, i will settle for about 60kg. When i first started out this year, i thought i will take the whole year to get there even though i know i could easily get there much sooner if i was determined to do it. All i'd have to do is start a running program.

When i do that, i tend to run (or walk in the beginning) for about an hour a day and do it ever second day but i can't keep it up indefinitely so i'm not doing that this time.

My meals are detailed on my blog linked below.

My lunch meal includes
    1 cup beans/lentils/chickpeas (I started out with less but realising my protein intake was much too low, i increased it to 1 cup); 2-3 salad vegetables (not greens usually), a bit of strong cheese like fetta/parmesan, a small amount of nuts/seeds (my favourite is walnuts), a small amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That's my basic lunch recipe which is delicious and easy to vary so it doesn't become boring.

My protein is still probably too low. But my food is pretty yummy, varied and healthy. I do eat fish but not as much canned tuna as i used to. For the fishes sakes, i'd rather not eat it but i haven't found a suitable replacement yet. Ethically speaking I'm starting to think that dairy is as bad as eating fish but i am not ready yet to give up dairy too. I think nuts is the only food i could eat a lot of to replace them, if not more beans still. But more beans means a lot more work since i don't want to eat two bean salads a day.
  • Mars i just found this quote on a government health website here.

Quote:
    The amount of the carbohydrate-containing food you eat will also affect your blood glucose levels. For example, even though pasta has a low GI, it is not advisable for people with diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance to have a large serve. This is because the total amount of carbohydrate, and therefore the kilojoules, will be too high.

Read the whole article here.
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...mic_index?open

Here's the GI website i referred to earlier.
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php
  • I would not be a happy vegetarian if i had to go gluten free or rice free. I don't buy into a lot of staff about all those allergies and things. I love beans but i don't want to eat only beans. I hate soy, all those horrid processed patties they sell. tempeh is gross. I like tofu but its not so easy to cook well. I like food from different nationalities and tend to cook meals in traditional ways rather than buying processed things or going with health fads. The taste of food matters a lot to me. I mean i've eaten enough coconut oil to know its gross even if it is traditional in south india. Coconut creme on the other hand is yummy but its high calorie so you can't pig out on it either but as part of a meal with vegies and rice or noodles its good for me.

Patience I do have a nephew that was feeling sick every morning after having his cereal. He went to get checked they found he was allergic to gluten. Now he is gluten free and what a big difference for him.

I craved in and had a piece of cake yesterday I feel hung over and I slept horribly.

Everyone has to do what works for them. By the way your bean salad sounds great I'm gonna steal it. I make brown rice black beans Mexican stewed tomatoes onions for lunch. I find this very filling but am looking for something for warmer weather. This salad sounds great. Thanks...

Back to no sugar today!!!