January 2014 Chat

You're on Page 3 of 8
Go to
  • Hello Ladies, I was about to do my treadmill walk but when I checked my finger I was at 52. So instead of walking I am eating some apple sauce. I hope to get my BS to about 150 then do my walk because I know that exercise will bring my down about 30 to 50 points. An insulin pump, dieting and exercise is so hard to juggle. I feel like it takes me forever to drop a pound. I hate eating when I am not even hungry. Or getting a high and waiting to come down before I eat. Oh well, at least I can enjoy my apple sauce
  • Trish beef stew sounds so good. I don't know how to make dumplings and when my Mom use to make them for my Grandfather, I hated the way they looked … all doughy and sticky. I've never tasted them so I don't know what they taste like. I just asked my husband if he likes them, he's never had them either so I probably won't try them . Trish is your WW plan for diabetics? I may check it out. Do they give you a food list specifically for us? I'm loving your enthusiasm I'm happy for you

Hi Susan to the thread , wow 52 or 30-50. I can't get under 122. I pray that I can get my sugars under control this year to get off metformin forever

I am happy to report a new low of 174.4, my sugar was 142 this morning and I think again I forgot to take my met. I'm gonna have to make a chart to check when I take it.
  • After my Apple sauce I was able to do my walk. But now I am afraid to go to sleep because I am still low after eating a pop tart. I am 78 but my CGM has t he 2 arrows pointing down so I am still dropping. Going to have to eat something else right before bed.
  • Susan Glad to have you join our group. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Rennie I haven't seen a specialty plan for diabetes. I did read in a WW magazine of a woman who reversed her T-2 diabetes when she lost weight doing the plan. I am registered to start the 2 week Simple Start plan tomorrow. I am already checking out how to do it on the web and still use the Points Plus Tracker. I had the 6 pt omelet this morning. I really enjoyed it. I am using some of the reduced or fat free foods, but not all. I have to watch the sodium and my sister said that you also have to watch the sugar in some of them so I am using light where possible, but keeping all my good fats like coconut and olive oil.

It is really cold here and will be down to 9 tonight and 12 tomorrow night. Sure makes me thing of all those of you who live north of me and are having it way lower. Really wondered how Fatmad and Ruthie are faring through all this as it must be horrible in Canada.

DH has to go for blood thinner check today, but I'm not going. I'm staying home and making soups as well as my chicken and dumplings I've been hungry for.

Stay warm everyone!!!

Catch y'all later.
  • I'm back......
    sorry to be MIA so long friends.
    We had an ice storm here before Christmas, and power was out for 2 days, then the holidays were quite busy, and I just got out of the habit of coming.
    But I know I will go off plan if I don't visit regularly.

Have been catching up on your posts, and welcome to the newbies.
    I gained 2 pounds over the holidays, which is pretty good considering I was eating plenty of carbs at time. I managed by avoiding them at other times. After a feast day, I did a very limited calorie day the next day.
    It mostly worked but the cravings have been intense at times.

The weather is still bad, today blizzards, squall and wind chill warnings.
    However, this weekend I am going cross country skiing. I plan to ski at least 1-2 hours per day. I did a bit yesterday, and am quite out of shape, but am determined. Other than yoga, its my favourite exercise. Actually, maybe I like it even more than yoga, but its got a limited season.

See y'all soon again
  • Trish it's 9 degrees here this morning thanks fro the WW info.

Madeleine good to see you

New low this morning 172.6, fbs 129

Have a great day ALL, Stay warm
  • Rennie It was a year ago when I did WW and there was no specific plan for diabetics. There is no specific plan for anyone on PP. You eat whatever foods you want as long as you stay within your points. When I did it, I just avoided starchy carby foods the way any diabetic would and just counted the other foods I was eating. A non diabetic person could have pizza for lunch as long as they counted the points and kept the rest of their daily food within their points allowance. Similar to counting calories. A diabetic can't do that because they also have to be aware of total carbs. At that time there was the plan where you eat the Power Foods and don't have to count anything, and from what Trish is saying, they still have that. They do give you a list of power foods and you eat only these foods. Quantity does not matter. When I was on WW I like to use Fitday.com. I would enter the food I wanted to eat and it would give me the protein, carbs, fat, and fiber information and I would enter that information into my points calculator and it would give me the points for the food in the quantity I was eating.

If you have trouble remembering to take your met, you could use a weekly pill box. On Sunday morning you put your pills in all the compartments for the week. You can look at the pillbox at any time and see what you have and have not taken. I even have DH using one because he was always forgetting if he took his BP meds.

Welcome Susan! Your situation sounds very scary to me with the lows. I would not know what to do. Please be careful. What does the doctor instruct you to do in these situations? I have heard that insulin makes it difficult to control your weight. I have enough of a problem without it. I am looking forward to hearing more about how you are handling this. How long have you been diabetic? Have you always been on insulin? Has it progressed or was it always this bad?

Glad to see you Mad! Sounds like you're still doing good!

Trish, my mother used to make dumplings and I love them! They are all puffed up and fluffy! Yum. DH would not eat them and they are not diabetic friendly so I don't make them. But hearing about them takes me back, and makes me want them! Do you make the puffy drop dumplings or the rolled out flat ones? I love them both!

It was -8 when I got up this morning. It is now +3. It is unusual for us to have weather this cold. I don't want to go out anywhere. DH wants to go out to eat, so we might do it for dinner. I will only have to worry about getting in the cold car when we come out of the restaurant, and hoping that the car starts. We bought a new battery this year but our car is garage kept and rarely sits out in the cold. It is almost 8 years old so who knows what could happen.

Hi Ruthie!
  • 2nd day in a row with road closures and blizzard conditions. I am staying home for now, but will have to go out if someone goes into labour. DH has built a nice fire, maybe I will do some hot yoga at home if it gets warm enough. The house is quite chilly, as the temperature is -20 and there is quite a wind chill too, the the heat is being sucked out of the house. The fire should help.
    My body just wants to go into hibernation mode when its like this, I want to sleep and be slothful, eating warm comfort-carby foods. I managed ok for breakfast, lets see how I do this afternoon.
  • A quick flyby. Running late this morning. My weight this morning is back down to 231.4 which is .2 lbs more than my last WI. I hope it at least stays there as tomorrow is my WW WI day. I happy with this because I know last week was water loss from all the holiday eating, but this week it is actually weight loss.

Rennie Your fbs is great. Mine was 162 yesterday (?) and down to 152 today. But I think my body is just adjusting to everything. You are doing great. I did find one article on WW site about diabetes where they say work with your doctor or dietician etc. My doctor has already approved of any diet that I can stick with for the rest of my life. I should stress that I do stick with a lot of the Power Food List where I can. Example, I want noodles for supper tonight and I noticed that whole wheat pasta is a Power Food, but the regular is not.

Phone call, be back later.
  • I just came across this recipe than contains kale, and other than the sausage, nothing looks to be a bad meal for diabetic weight loss, and it sounds yumm! You just need a way to keep as much of the fat from the sausage out of the main pot.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/09...sage-kale.html
  • Another quick one today. My WI showed I had a 2 lb gain this week but WW evidently averages weight loss and shows that I averaged for the past 2 weeks at 1.5 lbs a week so they consider me on track I guess. They also took in my activity and age and upped my daily points to 27 pts a day. They started the Simple start for this week and I can go in and read and hear the info since I'm registered. Found out online people don't get kits so I ordered a couple of books... one for points values and one on veggie power. I also am finding things I didn't see before. On my tracking page, they have a place where I always added my favorite foods. However, I just noticed today that I could click a little square and have all the Power Foods List right there. I am really centering in on those so it is nice to have it so handy. I am going to go back and listen to all the info on the Simple Start later today.

Carol Sue I will have to look at that recipe with kale. Thanks for sharing, I would probably use the turkey sausage that I keep on hand for omelets. It has a lot less fat and don't remember if it is 33% or 50% less, but less.

Fatmad, Rennie, Ruthie, Susan and Lurkers

Have a nice day.
  • Hi all, just a flyby as I am heading to bed. Roads opened today so was out working. Quite tired now. I didn't stay on plan yesterday, more carby than I wanted, but did rein in my urges and kept to a reasonable serving size.
    Today did well and lower carb.
    weight is steady at 179.
    a1c was 5.7 when I went to docs last week, and fasting was 5.1 with that blood draw.
    SO feel I am doing ok.
    I am not testing much these days, now that I know what causes spikes for me.

ttfn
  • Now that I have started eating kale and other greens, I seem to notice more recipes that I would otherwise skim by. Here is another one that sounds good for those who also like squash. I have never had farro I(wheat berries) and don't know if I would like them.

http://relish.com/recipes/kale-and-farro-soup/

Trish, I like turkey sausage. To me, it doesn't taste any different, but DH doesn't like anything turkey except actual turkey.

In the past, I have always had mozzarella cheese in the house, and I would slice it and eat it with these high fiber crackers I like. I haven't had that for a couple weeks, probably because of my cold. I tried some yesterday and I didn't like it at all! It tasted soooo salty! That was probably not one of the healthiest things I could be eating so I'm happy to cross it off my list! Yesterday I had kale and collard greens cooked together with onion, garlic and mushrooms. I topped it with a sprinkle of Feta cheese, and it was so good. I have enough greens left for one more day. Next time I make soup I'm adding some kale.
  • I am so happy to see folks who were not big veggie eaters exploring some great foods.
    I have never been a big fan of kale, but love okra, and celeriac, two veggies I have learned to eat and use in the last year.
    FYI, if you get tired of cooking spaghetti squash for your pasta replacement, try quickly grating some zucchini (just takes a minute) and zapping it briefly before putting spaghetti sauce on it. more veggies, less carbs.
    have a great day everyone
  • I wrote a long message this morning and my internet server went down and we had to leave so I didn't have time to write another one.

I've had a pretty good day. DH and I had to go put DGS checks in the bank. Then we went to Arby's for lunch. They don't have the ham & swiss cheese melt any more that was in my WW PP book so I ordered what I thought was a roast beef classic and DH ordered another roast beef sandwich. When we got it he decided that the small one was what he ordered and I got stuck with the other one. I was really upset because the bun was sweet and I knew just from the size and taste that it was going to be more pts than I wanted to use. I had them to use but didn't want to use them so early in my week. Well, I decided to eat only 3/4 of the sandwich and 1/3 of the curly fries and I always drink water. It turned out okay. It turns out that I ended up using only 7 of my weekly pts which isn't bad because I used 3 yesterday and still have 39 left for the week. Of course, I always have loads of earned exercise pts, but I don't ever use them. I finally made a vegetable soup with only 0 points... remembering that The Daniel plan said "Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables". I watched the video on WW about the Simple Start plan and they stressed the same thing. As much as I love salads, I would rather have soup this time of the year. So I am going to keep a container of it in the fridge throughout the winter. I'll go back to lots of salads in the spring.

Carol Sue Thanks for sharing the kale/greens sites. I bookmarked those to look at some other recipes that caught my eye. I almost forgot to put greens in my soup today until saw your references today on the kale recipes. I like to eat some greens everyday. I remember when I first went to WW in the 60s, you were required to eat a serving of greens once a day. I think that was a really good rules.

Fatmad Thanks for the heads up on the grated zucchini. I eat zucchini and squash in my soup everyday. Good to hear from you.

Rennie, Ruthie and everyone "wave"

Catch y'all tomorrow.