Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

That is great that you stopped when you realized you were eating something you shouldn't eat. You, instead of the food, are in control.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #62  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm heading south to southern PA first thing tomorrow morning. I held myself back from making a rum cake to take along. I have all the ingredients but have lots of other stuff to do so maybe I can get through the rest of the day without succumbing. Hmmm - maybe I'll take along the ingredients and make it down there.
May friend Linda aka Cottagebythesea is an excellent cook but also has a will of iron in resisting things - except ice cream. With this cold weather, I don't think that'll be a problem. On turkey day, I'll indulge in turkey and stuffing but skip all the sweet stuff like marshmallows in sweet potatoes.

Leaving first thing tomorrow morning - hope to be over the Big Bridge by 8 a.m. I'll be back next Monday afternoon and give a full report.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #63  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Have a good trip RUth, but wasn't Thanksgiving last week?
Thanks Carol Sue, I was kinda pleased with myself. Doing ok today too. It is a bit of a drag, I am eating less than usual, and fewer calories, but the weight loss IS slow. Ah Menopause, much though I like it, has some drawbacks.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #64  

I don't know what part of PA she's going to, but we had a 4 inch snowfall overnight and it's to continue through Wednesday. Be safe, Ruth!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #65  
--*-}}}-*-{{{-*--

S/C/G: 206/186.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Hello there, I have type II. I ignored it for quite some time but am taking care of it now. Hope to see you all around.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hoping to keep myself on plan this week! Low carb Thanksgiving in a carb happy house. Making a few dishes that are low c friendly and staying away from the ones that aren't. Good thing I love Turkey!! Today we are cleaning and I must continue to get er' done.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #67  
Madeleine

Well, clearly I got confused about when American Thanksgiving is. Have a good day everyone! Hope you can stay on plan, or at least the plan you make for that day! and the day after!

Medeis: Welcome and hope you enjoy our company. We don't bite, or judge.

Saw the naturopath today, will give an update in a few days. Just a quick flyby to say hi for now.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Medeis and lotsakids WELCOME!!!! Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you.

Fatmad You have done a good job controlling your eating even if you did start eating eat some foods you felt you shouldn't have because you did stop.

Ruthie Have a great visit with your friend in PA. There's a lot of bad weather because of a winter storm right now so be safe.

Carol Sue I plan to try your way of cooking kale. I love this stuff raw in a salad and the chips, but I don't cook all of a batch because I save some for salad also, I use a little in the Magic Mullet when I make an omelet some mornings. So good. I used to love spinach, but kale has pretty much taken its place. When DH and I go for pizza, I always have a salad and pizza.

Well, my visit with my DH son and soon to be new member of the family was wonderful. She and I felt like we had known each other all our lives. She is definitely a keeper. She is going to be like my other sons wife in the fact that she will be more like a daughter than a daughter-in-law. I am so thrilled with them getting together. I hope they will eventually move this way or at least closer to us. He is a truck driver and was blessed to get a job with a company that is all over the US and should have no problem transferring to wherever they decide to move.

We had a very carby celebration while they were here which wasn't to great going to see doctor Monday and I was bloated and swollen and my weight was up. Regular nurse wasn't working so I didn't find out my actual gain and doc didn't tell me, I think because he was so happy that my A1C was down to 7.0. My triglycerides were up a little. My overall cholesterol was down, but my good cholesterol was down and my bad one was about the same. DH weight was the same but A1c and other numbers were up. I think that was from eating out so much and eating so much processed foods. I'm beginning to think that we might not should eat any processed foods, but it isn't always easy to do. Although I didn't eat a lot Sunday, what I did eat was very carby because I made some of my son's favorite foods so I think my weight was up about 5 lbs yesterday from my last docs visit 3 months ago. I don't know if I picked up a virus at the docs office or at restaurant when we took the kids out to eat yesterday but I was hitting the bat hroom all night and most of the day today. I got a swoosh last night and my weight was down to 232 this morning. Still up 1 lb from last docs visit 3 months ago, but it's a lot better than 5. My doctor never fusses at us, but I assured him that even with the holidays that DH and I are going to do better the next 3 months. I told him how I keep records of all weight, FBS and BP each day and that I had looked over those records and that I've been losing and gaining the same 5 or 10 lbs all these months and I'm tired of it. I've got to find a way to go on down. DH and I are going to have a discussion of how we are going to do this together. I do so love low carbing except for those few times that I want a little more carbs. I just may have to figure out how to do that. New DIL said she lost weight when she did Atkins by making some modifications that she knew she needed to do in order to stay OP. So I think that is what I'm going to have to do.

Rennie
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #69  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Hello Ladies, I once again need to catch up.

Medeis to the thread

Donna good to see you here

Ruth have a safe trip

Madeleine, Trish, and Carol Sue will catch up soon.

I can report that my fbs has been good, but my weight hasn't. I am no where near my Thanksgiving goal of 177. I didn't even make it to 179. I weighed in at 184.2 today. I don't think the 180's are ever going to release me.

Have a great night all, rest well.

Last edited by love2b150; 11-26-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #70  

Welcome Medeis and Lotsakids! I think all of us currently posting here are type 2 and trying to find the right carb limit to keep our FBS in line. But type 1's are welcome here, too. Jump right in and post with us. We can always use some new ideas and comments.

Trish - I am on my own with my low carbing. No way my husband would participate. I pray to God he is never diagnosed with diabetes because he would not even attempt to follow the rules.

I'm glad to hear you had a good visit with your son and fiance. My DIL is more like a daughter to me than my step-daughter.

Mad - Hope you have good news from the naturopath. Looking forward to hearing about it.

I'm thinking Ruth came to US so she could celebrate another Thanksgiving. LOL Good idea!

Rennie
- I think it would be best to settle for maintaining over the holidays. There are too many things going on. I am having a big problem fitting in my exercise and that's the biggest problem with my FBS. Exercising helps me so much. And I read recently that moderate is better than intense, because intense exercise can stress the body and stress raises blood sugar. I can exercise longer if I stick to a lower intensity.

My pies are done and I'm going to chop the veggies for the stuffing, and that's about all I can do ahead. I have all my ingredients ready to go. My pans are prepped and ready for the turkeys (2). My husband is actually helping me clean. LOL I won't complain!!

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #71  
Madeleine

Default naturopath visit

SO, I went mainly because of my arthritis, as the hand (well one finger) is quite painful, and so swollen and getting deformed with the nodules. Also, I was concerned about all the bursitis I get. In addition, I am always tired.
He took a drop of blood and put it under the microscope, he has a screen so we can both view it.
In spite of my medical background, I have never looked at my blood before. (no lab placements in my nursing or midwifery schools). I was quite interested.
From this he deduced that I may have a B12 defiency. My cells showed some oxygen defiency. THis in spite of the cpap for sleep. I know my oxygen saturation is fine (test myself because the machine muck up on babies all the time), it is usually 99%.
Low B12 fits my symptoms. As you all know, I regularly supplement my B's in general, and I eat meat, so lack of B12 is not the issue. You may not know that we make a substance in our stomachs, its called "intrinsic factor" that we need to absorb the B12. We may not make enough as we age, and I learned last night after my appointment, that about 30% of type 2 diabetics taking metformin develop B12 deficiency. There are some excellent medical studies showing this.
So I am now starting B12 injections, of a high quality type. (Cyanocobalomin is what is usually taken, but there are more natural forms more easily taken up by the body). I had one yesterday, and will do another tomorrow, then weekly after that. I hope to see some improvement soon.
It sure won't hurt and may be quite helpful.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #72  

Mad - This all makes sense and I hope it helps you. My husband has the same hand symptoms that you have. They bother him mostly at night, and therefore he always wants me to rub his hand during the night to ease the pain. It really interrupts my sleep, but since I don't have to get at a certain time to be anywhere, I try not to complain. He would probably do it for me. He will not see a doctor about it or take meds.

I got a really nice surprise on Wednesday. My meds came in the mail, and my most expensive med is now being replaced by generic so it's saving me $87 every 90 days. That is such a big help!

I had a nice Thanksgiving. I ate turkey, broccoli casserole and stuffing, which is my pre-chosen carb for the day. Well, I also had a tiny piece of pumpkin cheesecake which was delicious. When the wine started flowing, I was diluting mine with diet ginger-ale. I considered it a successful day.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #73  

We ended up going to Ruby Tuesday's to eat Thanksgiving day because Golden Corral was running over with people. I did pretty good yesterday. I ended up having a beautiful salad with a fair steak and steamed broccoli at the restaurant. Came home and had a piece cherry cheesecake that I made and then finished off the approximately 1 c dressing that was leftover from when my DS was here.

This morning I went to Aldi's and got some fruit and then to Food Lion to load up on veggies. One thing I suddenly realized after a week of eating a little bit more carby fods than usual is that I really do like fruits and veggies, especially greens, as well as protein. So I started Paleo today not as a diet, but as just the way I like to eat. I get the benefit of low carb with fruit included. I have a book called Paleo for Beginners and it gives the basics where many start and then modify it to fit their lifestyle. This is why it is not a diet.

Edited to say that after reading on another website about Paleo, I guess I am doing Primal instead of Paleo because I am not giving up dairy especially cheese. I love cheese on my omelets.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-29-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #74  

Hi Trish, sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and ate what you liked. I, like you, cannot give up dairy. I buy those oblong blocks of mozzarella and just slice off a piece, many times for my bedtime snack. The fat in it curbs my stomach growling at night so I don't have to eat a lot.

My SIL made a wonderful broccoli casserole with mushroom soup and cheese, and it was delicious, but I tend to eat my veggies plain. I think I will make it someday, but modify it to my own tastes.

Primal is a good plan. I agree it's best to find a plan that reflects your preferred woe. It makes it easier to stay with it long term when you don't feel as though you're being deprived of things you like.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #75  

I talked to the doctor about hubby eating broccoli. He said that he can eat a little bit of broccoli and green veggies each day. He said that he will just have to adjust DH Coumadin.

I am eating kale and mustard greens raw in my salads. I also had cooked red chard yesterday for a snack. My daughter has told me several times that greens will lower your fbs. I had so much carbs and no veggies over the weekend along with no exercise that my fbs shot up to 219 yesterday. After eating Primal and loads of greens, my fbs was down to 189 this morning. Obviously she knows what she is talking about. In fact, the last time I talked to her, she said she had her fbs down to normal. I'm so proud of her.

I heard a doctor on Youtube a while back who said that he believed that a diabetic get his blood sugar back to normal eating Paleo in about 2 - 3 weeks. I would be happy if I coulld get mine down to normal by eating Primal at least by the time that I go back to the doctor in February. Or at least closer to normal.

I eat my fruit in the mornings like Allen Carr recommends in his book, Lose Weight Now. On busy mornings, I make a fruit drink in my Magic Bullet because it is easier and quicker. Of course, I eat protein, non-starchy veggies and nuts the rest of the eating hours allowed. Carr says don't eat protein as he pushes vegetarian and I thought about going vegetarian, but just can't give up the meat. This way of eating is much more sustainable for me than a vegetarian diet. I can have the good veggies that I like along with my protein. I plan to make this my main way of eating with the idea of Dana Carpendar where I can occasionally have a planned off plan meal of my choosing. The nice thing is that I can do all this Intuitively... eating only when hungry and eating until satisfied.

Carol Sue Sounds like you have your plan down pretty good the way you want to do this too.

Bonnie If you check in to read, please let us know how you are doing. I know you have a full plate with all that is going on at your house, but I hope you were able to have a nice Thanksgiving.

[B]Fatmad, Rennie, Ruthie, Medeis, Lotsakids and everybody/B]

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Closed Thread