Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #76  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue:
I think its great you are looking into these books. A lot of our problems with weight are behavioural, not to do with the diet plans we try (and often don't) to follow. No matter what plan we are following, we expect the plan to be complete and leave us with no cravings, no hunger, no wants.
For my part, is it my own failure to follow plan that messes me up, not the diet plan. Truly, and plan will work over time, but time is the trouble, we want to go back to "normal" which is overeating, eating too much of a good thing, or too many treats etc.
I think the real answer does lie in behaviour modification. However we accomplish this doesn't matter. I have tried meditation as this fits with my buddhist philosophy, but it didn't help. Nor did self hypnosis. For some obscure reason, addiction attitudes are helping, and I hope to stay on track with that. If someone else finds meditation and hypnosis helpful, I am all for it.
I will try to find the book about addiction you mentioned.

I didn't get a lot of cravings after the apple crisp, and ate a reasonable supper and went straight to bed at 9 pm, and slept until 5. Went back to bed for an hour at 7, and am up and breakfasted and doing ok, except for some joint pain. (officially now have arthritis in my hands)
So off to work and plan to eat right again today.
have a good day friends
Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Fatmad So glad the apple crisp didn't cause you any problems. And then having a reasonable supper is a good example of how we should always handle situations like this so that we don't get derailed, but stay on track. I agree that lot of our problems with weight are behavioural at least for me.

I remember my doctor telling me that ANY DIET WILL WORK. He said the KEY is finding the one you can live with for the rest of your life. I know in times past that I have not given a plan enough time to work for me. When I hit a bump in the road, I would decide it wasn't working and give up on it. Our pastor spoke to us one Sunday about taking our faults and turning them into a positive so that they work for us. So now I take the things that have a tendency to derail me and use them to keep me on track.

Example, I know that I'm going to weigh everyday because that is JUST ME. I bought graph paper notebook when school supplies were on sale. I take a page for each month. I use the graph to watch how the weight moves each day. Now that I have the digital scale that reads to .2, I almost always see it move. Sometimes it will go up, but it is mostly going down. I hate journaling and tracking pts as y'all all know. Now doing WW, I use the pts counting along with the graph to see how things I eat affect me and decide if I want to keep them or not. This is what I call PERSONALIZING my plan for me.

Well, I had a temporary 1.8 lb up today. As I said above tracking helps me to know where I got the sodium as I know that is what it is. I stopped drinking diet drinks probably about a year ago now one because I switched to using Stevia because it is supposed to be safe and because I can't handle the sodium and citric acid in them. I still had two left here so I decided to drink one last night. I knew I was going to have a gain when I got up and my wedding ring was tight. So no more diet drinks and I'll drink more water and watch the salt today. I should be back down tomorrow.

I was reading WW info on 3fc thread last night and the weekly pts on the Points Plus is 49 pts not 35. So I am doing a lot better pts this week than I even thought.

Hope everyone will be able to find what plan works for them. My advice is keep doing what you know to do while searching. JUST DON'T GIVE UP. There is a plan out there that will work for you. It is worth the search.

Now I'm going to search my WW cookbooks for a chicken recipe. If I'm going to keep DH doing this, I'll have to make it interesting and he is a picky eater. LOL

Have a great day.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish - When they changed from the old points plan to the new one, they changed the points value for most foods. Be sure you are using the points values for the right plan. You probably are, because you are losing. I did the old plan too, and I had the points calculator, but when I went last year it had changed and I had to buy a new calculator. That made me mad that they seem to change things so they can charge more money, but it IS a business, and businesses have to make money.

Mad - I'm glad you understand why I am reading self help books instead of diet books. I am 1/3 through "From The First Bite." At first I didn't like it, but as I read on I am learning a lot. There are many different forms of food addiction, some apply to me and some don't. It's not always a food trigger or binging, but in some cases, portion control. For example, I was never one of those people who binge on a whole gallon of ice cream, or eat a whole cake. But I do have the problem that I will plan on eating half of my sandwich, but then end up eating the rest instead of saving it for tomorrow's lunch. Then I feel miserable both physically and mentally. The whole book focuses on the importance of discipline. There's so much more than I can't post it all here. It is supposed to go on and tell you how to manage these issues successfully. One thing they tell you to do is to plan ahead what you are going to eat, use a food scale and measuring cup, and stick to your plan explicitly. It even said to take your scale and measuring cup into a restaurant! I am NOT going to do that. LOL As in OA, it encourages you to be accountable to a sponsor, which I am also not going to do. But it's giving me insight into some of my own problems, and they are some of the things I suspected, but am surprised to know that other people have these same problems.

It also says not to wait until you finish the book, or are ready, or wait until Monday, or next month....start right now. I haven't done that. I am still processing the information and still don't know if this is going to be a turning point for me, but at least I'm learning things.

My BS is still too high and I have not been on the scale for a few days.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #79  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Good afternoon, the scale was up a pund this morning to 185.6 no worries though. I was on point and didn't get enough sleep. I had to be at work earlier than usual this morning and a lot to do in my mornings so I had all of that going through my head. I'm alittle tired but I'll catch up on rest this weekend. Fbs was lower than yesterday at 137 so that made me smile.

I hope you all are having a nice day ,
Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #80  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh dear! My friend Barb, who goes for a hip replacement Monday, invited me to her house for lunch - a sort of pre-op celebration. Her DH, a Maritimer, made wonderful fish and chips. ** Sigh ** I skipped dessert and will have stir fried Oriental veggies for supper with tofu.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #81  

Rennie 137 FBS is great. Your plan is working for you. I wouldn't worry about 1 lb up. My doc says he never worries if my weigh is up by 1 or 2 lbs because that can be because he said "You didn't go to the bathroom yet". You've started eating fiber and I did the same thing at first, but then as my body adjusted to the fiber the weight started coming down. Just like this morning the scales were up by 1.8 lbs. which I attributed to the sodium in the diet soda. I've already been to the bathroom so much today that I'm sure it will be back down tomorrow. Also you didn't get enough rest and that throws my weight off sometimes. You are doing great so keep up the good work.

Carol Sue I have the newer plan. In fact, I had both but misplaced the slider I used in the old one which I really liked. The counts were lower, but it is good to have the newer one. I'm happy with it. I was in OA for a number of years myself and even started a group in my home when I lived in south Tx. I quit because I came to believe our words negative or positive affect our lives. I didn't like confessing "I'm a Compulsive Overeater". Never thought about it until one day my then SIL asked me why I said that and I explained it to her. We spent a lot of time together and she said "You aren't a Compulsive Overeater". I do believe I was addicted to some foods. The only time I crave or would have a tendency to binge on sweets is when my blood sugar is out of whack. I think that is because growing up my Mama we had plenty of sweets to the point I got tired of them. On the other hand I could sit down with a family size of potato chips and eat the whole bag in one sitting. I actually would have rather had that than a meal. For years I wouldn't even bring them in the house. Now I can eat them without any problem and count the points. Costco sales boxes of the 1 oz individual servings which I buy and have no problem with. I still can't buy the big bags and weigh them out because, I am afraid I'll find it too easy to go back and weigh out another oz. At 4 pts an ounce, I don't want the temptation around. The individual bags work well for DH and DGS because they have the same problem I did with them. Since I still eat Intuitively eating what I like, I don't have any food I cannot eat and I like the treat from time to time and this is the best way for me to do it.

I too am learning the discipline of portion control that is why I chose WW as a guide. I weigh and measure a lot of things especially now that DH and I are doing this together and I'm working to create meals similar to those that we like to eat at restaurants, but since I'm controlling the ingredients they are WW friendly and I have to figure out the pts count. I'm actually having FUN doing this which makes it much easier to stay OP.

Got to go ride my bike and get my 2 miles in for today. Have good one!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #82  

Trish, I am almost finished with this book and I just started it yesterday. It is holding my interest and I am learning a lot about food addiction. It makes a lot of very good points about things I have never thought of before. But I have learned that I am not a Compulsive Overeater, nor an emotional eater, nor a binge eater. But I do have a food addiction when it comes to volume. I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop eating when I'm satisfied and throw away what's left. Down the garbage disposal where I can't recover it. I start out with good intentions, but when there's leftovers I have a very hard time not going back and finishing them, even though I am no longer hungry. This is going to be very interesting. This goes against 67 years of not wasting food. Wish me luck!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #83  

Found out last night that DH doesn't really like rice or potatoes. He has never said much about what carby foods he likes and doesn't like. Of course, he always says he doesn't eat bread, but I wonder what he thinks pizza and cheeseburgers are made with. Any way that helps me loads as I continue to tweak our eating plan, because that will help me keep our carbs down and under control.

I suddenly realized this morning that I really enjoy my eggs and bacon with a little bit of mozzarella cheese and without toast. So will go back to eating without it. Hope it doesn't mess up my regularity. I still like eating more low carb foods rather than higher and I'm thinking that I can still do that with WW PP. I'm not going to rule out all carby foods for good because that will only set me up for failure or something always comes up when you want something different especially when eating out. Fatmad's experience with the apple crisp that was made with sugar proves that if we would eat ignore it and continue our plan at the next meal or snack that it would NOT derail us or cause us to have cravings.

I might check into the more Simply Filling/Core way of WW. Years ago before they changed the plans to Simply Filling and Momentum, any of us in WW did a Flex/Core combo and we did great on it so I just may be able to do something like that now. DH and I both do have our favorite more carby veggies like corn and green peas so I can leave room for that but stay away from potatoes and bread except on rare occasions or might even have a Carbohydrate Addicts Diet day. I know I'm not going to eat Atkins low, but I will never go back to eating high count carbs on a regular basis either because I know the benefits of the lower carb. However, I think the big problem I had with Atkins is that I didn't have portion control on protein. Psychologically Atkins would never work for me. I think I've learned a lot about myself in the past few months.

Didn't really pay attention to weight this morning which is up a tad, because I went to bed late and got up early. If I don't get 8 hrs sleep, I don't get an accurate reading. No big deal as tomorrow is my WI day.

Have a great weekend Everybody.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #84  

I am down 2 lbs this morning. I'm back to 200, so I am 1 lb away from my ticker. I thought I did good yesterday and I guess I was right.

Trish, my husband doesn't eat much bread or rice, but he is addicted to potatoes. I can make potatoes for him and not eat any, just eat my meat and veggies so that is not a problem. He eats a lot of baked good, but since I don't like sweets, they don't bother me either.

Today I checked 2 stores for Natures Own Double Fiber bread and neither of them had it. One store had a space for it but it was empty. The other store had every Natures' Own except the Double Fiber. I'm thinking that maybe the distributor in our area is having a shortage. My DIL is going to look for it out her way. I wanted to check the nutritional info between that and the Nickles 35 bread that I buy. I looked it up online and here is the difference.

Natures Nickles
cal 50 - 35
fat .5 - 0
sod 135 - 90
carb 13 - 8
fiber 5 - 2
sugar 1 - 1
prot 3 - 2

(When I'm typing, these numbers line up in nice straight columns but when I save the post they show up all goofy.)

Neither of them have HFCS. The slices of Nickles 35 Multigrain are small and thin so it's understandable that all numbers would be lower. The thing I like about the Nickles is if I use 2 slces for a sandwich, it is much lower for 2 slices than other normal size slices of bread, but either way, the Natures Own comes out higher for fiber. But is it higher comparig oz or gms. I will look again and see if I can find oz or gm per slice.

Ok. Nature's own is 28 gm per slice and And Nickles is 20 gm. I would really like to try the Nature's Own, but if it never shows up in my area I am very comfortable with the Nickles 35 Multigrain.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-19-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #85  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Trish, I worry about sodium in the evenings also. If I drink a soda it's always coke zero, I like the flavor. This GOOD way of eating really keeps me thinking (on my toes). I'm proud of me so far I found out that I can't eat eggs everyday. The smell makes me want to gag. And I realized on last Saturday that I no longer care for scrambled eggs. Which is weird for me because I use to cook them just because and devour them, and I CAN eat LeSueur green peas everyday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Haven't had any in awhile though. My husband is a fried chicken and rice nu. He will eat that meal everyday, if someone cooks it. If no dinner, he will eat ice cream, cookies or chips, smh. What a big kid He says it takes too long to make a pb&j so he just grabs something. The kids laugh because he spreads the peanut butter and jam really slow like they are delicate creatures (what difference does it make, you're gonna bite them) ok that makes up smile/laugh.

On portion control. I've been good at weighing and measuring for a good while so I don't worry there as long as I prepared it. And after weighing and measuring for so long, I know how much is supposed to be on my plate. And even with the right portions I find that I often say, I'm done and have to save the rest till tomorrow, unless it's a salad. That's nasty

Carol Sue, good job on the 2lbs

I am still at the 185.6 again today. No loss but no gain either TOM is trying to come through, that could be a week from now for it to actually come. So between the lack of sleep and that, I'm sure that's were the pound is. But I'm ok because I am OP and not in the 190's
Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #86  

I finally found the Natures Own double fiber bread today, at, of all places, Target. I was there for something else and just looked at bread on a chance they would have it. I had 1 piece today and it was good. I like that the texture is a little grainy, not mushy like white bread. I think I like the taste and texture of it the same as the Nickles 35, and the Nickles is fewer calories etc. But I will put this bread in my freezer and finish it before I buy any of the Nickles. My DIL saw a different double fiber bread I want to check out, I think it was Pepperidge Farm.

I slept pretty good last night. I remember waking up at 7:15 but I must have fallen back into a really deep sleep because when I got up at 8:30 my husband had gone out and brought breakfast from McDonalds. It's very unusual for me to sleep through the auto-garage door opener....twice, going and coming. I felt really good when I got up.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #87  

I just wanted to let y'all know that I have finally found a very active CAD/CALP group on another site and will be moving to that group. I've been trying to get back on that way of eating and kind of doing it for the past few weeks combining it with other plans. I've been conversing with a RN on one site who is losing this way and she has been helping me to understand why my body likes this way of eating. Then yesterday I decided to check another site where I posted when I did this once before. It kind of slowed down to where there just wasn't anything happening then, but they are very active now and I found the RN posting there and she shared her qualifications and why she knows so much about how this works. They have many who have successfully lost weight with CAD/CALP and now have normal blood sugar. I need to be with others that are doing this and understand why and what I'm doing it

CAD is the way I lost 80 lbs about 10 yrs ago. I like the fact that this gives me control of my insulin surges. It also allows me to choose whether I eat one time a day the RM (Reward Meal) and 1 or 2 CM (Craving-Reducing Meal) and whether I want CM snacks or not and I can eat them only when I am hungry and not at a set time. This is similar to Intuitive Eating which is my favorite way to eat. Actually, this is exactly the way I ate when I was growing up before we had the names Intuitive Eating and Carbohydrate Addicts Diets. That makes me wonder why I ever stopped eating this way when I lost the weight on it 10 yrs ago, but I think it is because I saw it as a diet. I guess that is why I love Intuitive Eating because IE teaches you to stop thinking "diet" and just eat what you really want when hungry not what you think you should eat... savor every bite and stop eating when you are satisfied and you will lose weight. There is a young woman on 3fc IE thread who has not only lost weight doing IE, but she gone below her goal. The interesting thing is that this was normal eating for me until everyone started telling me how I had to eat. When I started eating "normal" 3 meals a day, I gained weight and then the yo-yo dieting became a lifestyle. It has taken me a long time to learn that since CAD/CALP is the way I ate as a child, a teenager and the few years I was thin without trying to lose it, then this is NOT a diet for me but it is the way my body likes to eat because it is NORMAL for me. Realizing this has taken away the stress of trying to do another diet for me and I feel free. In fact, I'm sitting here enjoying my morning coffee... no breakfast. Similar to an Intermittent Fasting day today trying to decide what I'm going to cook today for our main meal my RM because I have to feed DH this afternoon between 2 and 3. Before today I would have so many ideas of what I wanted to eat today because diets tell me to plan ahead and I have to eat x# meals/snacks from a certain list. Strange thing is that I have absolutely no idea what we are going to have because #1 I'm not hungry and #2 nothing sounds good. I remember that feeling when I was thin and as a kid and I have to tell you that I AM LOVING IT. DH may have to make the decision today. I won't eat until I'm actually hungry.

I know the WL may be slow this way since I'm 10 yrs older doing this, but the nice thing is that my FBS was down to 167 this morning and both are coming down steadily.

I'm sharing this because I think the reason I've had a difficult time getting on some "diet" and staying with it was because they didn't fit me and my body didn't like them. People need to find what works for them and forget what diets or other people tell the to do. This really is a PERSONAL thing. That is why we need to be patient with people while they are searching and learning what works for them. As the old saying goes, ONE SIZE DOESN'T FIT ALL!!! is soooo true.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #88  
Madeleine

Trish, we will miss you if you aren't here regularly, but wish you the best, and I hope this eating method will work for you long term, since its what you want.

I "fell of the wagon" yesterday, having sandwiches and pie at a child's birthday party, and then had some triscuit crackers with cheese later on. I cut myself off successfully at some point, though, and have been on plan today, so I hope at worst for the wheat and all the fibre, (nice whole grain organic bread for the sandwiches) is that my bowels move nicely. (sorry if TMI, )
I haven't weighed in a couple of days, have been working a lot and through the nights, which messes up weights, so will wait until tomorrow am at the earliest, or maybe Wednesday to check the weight again.
Have a good week sisters, and check in!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #89  

Sorry to see you go Trish, but you have to do what's right for you. I hope the new forum helps you stay on track.

I am learning that the best plan for me is to eat all things in moderation. I know I need to control the AMOUNT of food I'm eating. Not counting calories, fat, carbs, just eating the amount of food necessary for my body to work the way it's supposed to. Like you with CAD/CALP, I did this sucessfully before and I can and will do it again.

Each of us has to decide what plan works for us, and then practice our plan.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #90  
Madeleine

Have been able to get back on track without too much of a problem.
After Sunday, I made sure to make some food for me for the next few days. DId a broccoli and chicken stir fry with sechuan peanut sauce, and some of my nut cake for "toast" for breakfasts.
It was a really busy weekend, with some sleep loss, so sticking to plan is harder then, so I am pleased to only have had one off day out of that.
Carol Sue: I hope this works for you, Sounds like intuitive eating. Along with sticking to plan I have reduced portions successfully and am quite happy with results.
Off we go together, may the pounds melt away.
Closed Thread