3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   May Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/280999-may-thread.html)

Wannabehealthy 05-18-2013 06:41 AM

Trish - I am on the fence about dairy. I do like some shredded cheese in my salad and I buy block mozzarella cheese and cut off a small piece a couple times a week. Not much. I also have yogurt a couple times a week. I really don't know what to do because when I think back to the diet they put me on in the hospital, I had skim milk at every meal. I continued that diet for a good while after coming home from the hospital and I lost 25 lbs overall. But that was before I heard about the weight loss properties of Metformin, so that weight loss could have been because I started Metformin at that time. I have heard a lot that the calcium in milk is supposed to aid in weight loss. When I went on my first diet at age 21 I didn't know anything about dieting. I ate everything except sweets but I just cut back my portions. I lost good that way. But after I started reading up on different diets I started to get information overload and starting switching around from one diet to another. Now I just can't stay on program for a full day. Those darn carbs just have a way of tempting me. Last night we went out to eat. I ordered eggplant parm. I switched out the side of pasta for a side of veggies so the only carbs would be the breading on the eggplant. Don't you know they brought a basket of rolls, right out of the oven and don't you know I gave in to temptation. My husband will not say "Now, Carol, you aren't supposed to eat them." No, he will wait until after I have eaten them and then tell me I shouldn't have eaten them. I am not trying to pass the blame onto him. I am the one who puts the food in my mouth. I am going to have to get into the habit of telling the server "No bread or rolls" and if anyone else at the table wants them they will have to speak up and ask for them.

Last night we had my 4 year old grandson with us. As the server was telling me what my options were my grandson wanted everything mentioned. LOL When the server said "corn" my GS said "I want corn." When I told him "no pasta" my GS said "I want pasta." When he said "mixed veggies" my GS said "I want veggies." When the food finally came he said he wasn't hungry and wouldn't eat anything. That happens all the time. After dinner we take him home and he eats at home with his parents. He is in the habit of eating a late dinner because that's what they do at home. We can never go out to eat with them because they can't eat at 5 PM and we can't wait until 7 or 8 like they do.

pattygirl63 05-18-2013 01:46 PM

Carol Sue We had the same problem with DH DD and her family when they lived with us. Because DH can't eat any later than 3 and they always ate around 7 or 8 or later, we couldn't have meals together. Although I would eat again around 8ish, I couldn't eat all the carby foods they ate. I also have the same problem you do with the bread... I have to tell them not to bring it, however, I'm blessed because DH doesn't want it either. He does like junk food tho. His fbs is to high and climbing and I'm trying to get him to read Atkins book. It would be sooooo much easier if we were both doing it.

I guess I am doing Atkins Induction style of eating which means no fruit for me for a while as I have a huge rash on my belly which is what happens when my body is saying "too much carbs coming in". Got some thick pork chops boiling for pulled pork and will make coleslaw to mix with it. The plus on this is that my fbs should come way down in a few days. Paleo with no fruit.

pattygirl63 05-18-2013 10:54 PM

There is a Paleo/Primal conversation going under the General Diet section of 3fc. Someone explained the difference and I realize that I am actually doing Primal way of eating. I because I still use dairy products. I'm glad to have a name. I think I can do CALP with Primal lifestyle and use the Reward Meal as the time to eat the fruit and dairy I want to use. So it will be easy for me to make this a permanent way of eating rather than a diet.

Wannabehealthy 05-19-2013 07:04 AM

Trish - Hmmm I never heard of getting a rash when you eat too many carbs. I don't think I would have made the connection. I think the shoulder pain I'm having is from my BS being too high but I can't get it down low enough for a long enough period of time to test that theory.

DH would never do low carb. He loves potatoes and baked goods. Has to have them every day. He will not even let me test his sugar. He says he doesn't want his finger poked, but I think he just doesn't want to know if he is diabetic. I hope he never is because he could never do without his carbs. He is not overweight but could stand to lose 20 lbs or so. He usually gets it off during the summer when he's busy outside. I used to order a grilled chicken salad without the french fries but now I get them and pick them out for DH. LOL I have even asked for a take out box to put them in. He will heat them up in the evening and eat them. Mr Potato Head.

I will look for the Paleo/Primal discussion.

Butterfly50 05-19-2013 03:45 PM

Hey Guys how is everyone? Well I went back to the Doctor yesturday and had to get refills of my gabaphentin so I questioned him again about my A1C and my testing numbers being so high when I have been watching what I eat. So he upped my metformin to 1000mg twice a day he said he will do it for 3 months and see what happens when I come in to get my A1C checked again.

Things here are going good was hoping that I could go walking but it looks like it is gonna pour down I am gonna check the weather. My daughter is in a half cast and on crutches for a week she has a shin splint and it wont heal after a few months so they said this is whats next then she will be out of school and it should get better.

So I had two eggs and Some strawberries and 1/2 slice of Ezekiel english muffin I checked my sugar and it was 143 not too bad since my Fbs was 133 before I ate. well I better be going got lots to do . Hope all is having a great weekend.

Ruthxxx 05-20-2013 07:05 AM

Just checking in after a week or so of deviant eating which certainly shows. I am 194 this morning so this is war! There is no way I can mess around switching low carb eating off and on and doing a lot of baking is waaaaay too tempting. The good news is that I have enough cookies in the freezer to cover us until the Mill AGM mid-June. Now I need to just forget they are in the freezer.

After missing two weeks, I have put my gym membership on hold. I have way too much outdoor work to be done first thing in the morning, especially now that we are heading into hot days. 6 to 10 is my prime gardening time and I've not even really got started.

I need to rein in my crazy life! It's nuts to not be able to find the time to set up med dosages for the week! I know I need to face the dreaded HA1C soon. I have been testing off and on and know there are no major highs or lows but still ...

CorinneE 05-20-2013 07:16 PM

Hi everyone,

Just joined the blog and have been reading through some posts. What is everyone's thoughts on dairy and grains?

pattygirl63 05-21-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorinneE (Post 4747480)
Hi everyone,

Just joined the blog and have been reading through some posts. What is everyone's thoughts on dairy and grains?

I'm not sure about grains... I don't eat a lot of wheat any more although I really like certain ones like corn which I do eat occasionally. I've heard it is suppose to keep blood sugar from rising, however, the opposite happens for me.

As for dairy, I personally think it is important for calcium. I know there are those who disagree, but I've used it ever since I heard I needed to prevent osteoporosis (sp) and I have good healthy bones. My sister doesn't care for dairy and deceased Hubby's grandmother didn't either. My sister has osteoporosis, and Hubby's grandmother had brittle bones.

So I guess that is an opinion thing or if you believe it is bad for you or not. I've kind of learned that I try things and see what works for me and what doesn't and make it fit my plan accordingly.

Butterfly50 05-21-2013 09:42 PM

Hey everyone things are going good here for me. I had to go with my son today to get his first tooth pulled he 23 and he is freakin out he didnt know what to expect and now he is freakin out about what to eat.

My sugars are doing great . My hubby bought me a punching working out made by weight watchers for me tonight I wanted something different to do I do either leslie sansone or I do my walk it out I love them both but some times I jest need something different. I think I am gonna scour the net for some wii games that I can do. Any suggestion ??

I am going back on the diet I got from the nutrition class things seems to be doing good so far . I willl have to get back with you all soon Oh yeah my FBS was 113 this morning!!!:carrot:

Wannabehealthy 05-22-2013 06:38 PM

Bonnie - I sympathize with your son. Hope his mouth is feeling better soon. Congratulations on bringing your FBS down to 113. I would kill for that number right now.

Today I did very well. The only carbs I had were in my veggies and my ranch dressing. We went out to eat and I had roasted chicken with steamed veggies and a salad. I passed on the rolls, which are my weakness and also on the baked sweet potato, which is usually my choice. So I am proud of myself today. I am taking it one day at a time and hope that it won't be long before I no longer crave those starches.

pattygirl63 05-23-2013 04:45 PM

Just checking in. I don't alway write, but always try to read.

I finally have the plan that is working for me. Makes me wonder why I ever tried anything else. I'm doing the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet both Intuitive Eating and Intermittent Fasting. I find a lady on a CAD/CALP thread on another website who does it this way. I eat 1 carby meal and 1 low carb meal. I weigh everyday and will be averaging the weight loss at the end of 7 days. My weight is stabilizing which I feel is the process of puttig on the brakes so my body can adjust for me to start losing weight. The weight loss will be slow but that is okay with me. My FBS has lowered from over 200 to 162 in just the few days I've been on it and my blood pressure is normal. I am very pleased with my progress.

Bonnie Congratulations on the 113 FBS.

Wannabehealthy Congratulations on a successful job eating at the restaurant.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Wannabehealthy 05-24-2013 06:51 AM

Trish, I have been able to stick to low carb for the past 2 days and have gone from 198 - 195. I know it's the water weight from no carbs. I am trending toward IF...not eating anything after 5 PM. I know I cannot sustain this long term, but I'm giving my body a jump start. I will eventually eat carbs, but maybe after doing low carb for a few days I will be able to limit them to small amounts so I don't feel deprived and go on a carb binge. We eat out a lot because we like different things. Last night we ate at a place that has fantastic rolls. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I brought them home and put them in the freezer. I think if I'm going to have a carb meal, I want it to be something I really, really like.

We are so much alike. My FBS was 152 this morning after a long period of 200 or over. Your success is inspiring me to keep on.

pattygirl63 05-25-2013 06:06 PM

My fbs today was 133. I will change my ticker to read my progress with this new way of eating... will change my beginning weight to where I was when starting CAD with Intermittent Fasting Intuitively because I weighed a little more than my present ticker and weight is up a lb more than ticker shows. I actually lost 1.4 lbs this week. 3fc doesn't do tenths. I like the idea of weighing everyday on my digital scale because by using the tenths keeps me from becoming discouraged and giving up. It helps me stay on track, because if I'm up or down a few tenths I usually know why. However, when I had a regular scale that only read in lbs, I couldn't always understand a 1 lb gain. It works for me. Oh, and my blood pressure seems to be running normal now. My eating plan is a combination of 3 diets or ways of eating that I have personalized to fit my lifestyle and my likes and dislikes and it works. I am very happy and pleased with my plan.

fatmad 05-25-2013 09:20 PM

Hi Gang: sorry to be MIA again, Dad had an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic and his pneumonia isn't resolved yet, so he is still in hospital. Hoping to get him back here soon. Have been doing ok with eating, I did cave last weekend once, but have been ok since then. Weight is creeping down and I hope to have a good weigh in when I go to ww Tuesday night. Not expecting to be busy in the next week with work. Will just have one client due, and then no one due for a month.
BOnnie: I am really glad your doc listened and upped your metformin dosage. It was time and will help you some.
Ruth: I wish you were down my way so I could do your blood work for you.
Hellos to Trish, Carol Sue, WBH and all.

pattygirl63 05-26-2013 09:56 PM

fatmad So sorry to hear about your Dad. Sure hope he recovers quickly and is home with you soon.

I found another article online by a man named Steve Cooksey who controls his T-2 diabetes with Intermittent Fasting and Primal Lifespan. He says there's 2 ways to do it. One way he calls Planned IFasting where you eat 30 grams of carbs a day starting out and no more than 50 grams a day of carbs a day as you adjust to eating this way. You choose how long and how often you want to eat and fast.

The second way he calls Unplanned IFasing where he says "if you're hungry, eat. If you're not hungry don't eat". He says he only eats 2 meals a day but never really shares in the article I read what his eating window was. However, he did mention having done 24 hr fasts, but I didn't get the feeling he did this on a regular basis. I think he must do shorter fasts more often although most I've heard of eat within 5 to 8 hr window and fast 16 to 19 hrs.

It is so exciting to find another testimony of someone else that has successfully improved their health and their bs, bp and other numbers are normal because of eating this way. The second the Unplanned IFasting is the way I eat now within 5 to 8 hr window and fasting 16 to 19. And I'm feeling good. Just sharing what's working for me. He does stress that it is important to eat plenty of protein and fat before fasting.